What did he do to deserve this?

What did he do to deserve this?

Other urls found in this thread:

clients.chrisoleary.com/Pitching/The-Epidemic/Mark-Priors-Pitching-Mechanics-The-Definitive-Analysis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The most JUST manager in any sport

ghost of mark pryor

At least he won 1 world series as a player, otherwise he has 50 years of baseball as a loser

He killed Kerry Wood and Mark Prior

F I R E H I M
I
R
E
H
I
M

Because he toothpicks. And because he micromanages bullpens from his old man pants in the dugout to feel like he is still important, and still affecting the game. And also because he pulled Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of the 2002 World Series and lost the World Series for the Giants

Dusty, please go away forever

>What did he do to deserve this?
Other than destroy generational talent by riding pitchers till their arms fall off?

He also joined the natinlels. Jesus Christ himself could descend from heaven to bat cleanup and these dogshit new money choke artists still wouldn't get out of the the NLDS.

Washington sports defy comparison for their terminal mediocrity. It would be insulting to compare them to the Bills or Rangers or Flyers, as those teams could at least pretend they deserved to be in the playoffs before they choked. These trashass Washington teams storm in like a lion and leave like a lamb every goddamn year and people still pretend like Washington couldn't choke away a coin toss in October.

Be a nigger. Obv.

>And also because he pulled Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of the 2002 World Series and lost the World Series for the Giants.

Was just talking about this game. Changed the momentum and ofc we got crushed game 7. Goddamnit, those feels.

2003 and 2004

Got out managed by Maddon. If you can't see that you're a retard

Nice reddit meme. You should go back.

lol, I wonder if you can call this game "managed."

At least his name is kinda cool

>What did he do to deserve this?

Ruined some young Cubs arms.

10/10 analysis

>trashinals fell for the black manager meme

>Reds fire Dusty for always choking in the playoffs
>haven't made the playoffs ever since
really makes you think

They had awful mechanics. He only sped up the inevitable

DC
SPORTS
CURSE

Have you ever listened to his postgame interviews? Absolutely zero nuance which you always see from the best managers. He never offers any interesting insight. His interviews boil down to literally describing what happened in the game, like "this guy got a big hit, and then there was a strikeout, and then the next guy hit a sac fly, so..."

Like yeah, postgame interviews are never the pinnacle of profundity, but his are just pointless. I don't get why he's considered a good manager.

he basically just paraphrases the box score

Dusty wasted prime Bonds, prime Sosa/Wood/Prior, prime Votto, and is currently wasting Harper, Scherzer, Strasburg, and company. He is always given great players and never does anything with them.

>I don't get why he's considered a good manager

nobody considers him a good manager

I thought Prior was said to have some of the best mechanics scouts have seen

Best mechanics in that he could repeat his motion near perfectly. The problem came from his delivery and how he brought his right elbow above shoulder level when he was about to throw. Watch Strasburg pitch and you'll see the same thing where he brings the elbow too high.

If done properly it can create added cut on breaking balls and zip on heaters, but man does doing that for 100 pitches every 5 days mess up your elbow.

are you stupid? he can't pitch/hit/play for these players. they gotta step it up, simple as that

/thread

Prior was fine. The Brad Hawpe line drive is one really fucked him up. Fuck Brad Hawpe.

Disagree.

Here's a solid overview of Priors mechanics and what went wrong. The inverted W is the death of many young good pitchers.

clients.chrisoleary.com/Pitching/The-Epidemic/Mark-Priors-Pitching-Mechanics-The-Definitive-Analysis

>choker team hires manager who's team's always choke

What the fuck was suppose to happen

choose to manage a team in the cursed city of Washington. Which will always be cursed as long as they continue to be the parasite on our country

when he managed the giants, he made his young son a batboy, which almost got him injured.

as a result, mlb said all batboys have to be at least 16. so no more cute little batboys to watch.

i'll never forgive him for that.

If it wasn't his son it would be someone else's. He just sped up the process.

Uh, who is this nigger and why should I care about luckswing?

Umps fucked him hard

Jesus Christ did they ever.

Normally a nigga got go to prison to get fucked like that.

>in dusty we trusty

The strike zone tonight was a joke
Next season MLB needs to move to electronic strike zone calls
Umps are fucking useless

Zone tonight was shockingly bad.

Computer strike calls can't come soon enough.

>I don't get why he's considered a good manager.
He's a competent manager, the kind of manager where most of the time "he did ok."

But there's nothing about poor Dusty that's exceptional (though I suppose his regular season records that got him to all those elimination game failures should be commended). And baseball is a game where simple competence at some aspect, playing or managing, isn't enough to progress to the ultimate prize.

Dusty is what one might describe as a fine diversity hire manager. Knows most of the game pretty well, probably a great guy to be around. But he'll never show the flashes of brilliance necessary to be great - because he's simply not capable of them.

It must be hard to live through so many years of the glaring exposure of one's weaknesses and failings. For that he most definitely has my respect.

Starting Gio Gonzalez to give him a chance at "redemption" (perhaps something Dusty wanted himself) instead of Tanner Roark wasn't exactly a winning move.

Push the wrong first domino and all the rest fall by themselves.

Not Dusty's fault that the Nats superstar bats decided to hit .150 or so for the series. Not Dusty's fault these fuckers were commiting game changing errors in every close game.

Let's be real managing Baseball is always a shitshow. All these fuckers do suspect stuff but they get frequently bailed out. Look at that faggot Maddon surviving yet again. The best manager is basically who is the luckiest.

Sometimes all you need is one mulligan to win. Cubs got it last year when Bochy fucked up the 9th inning relief pitching in Game 4, got it again this year with this game (some of which was Dusty's fault, but most of it wasn't). A good manager takes advantage of those gifts. So far Dusty hasn't put himself in a position where he even gets them.

>inverted W
why not just call it an M?

I heard the nationals got hosed. Is that true?

no they lost fair and square

Because the outside columns of an M are straight up and down. An inverted W's jut out at the bottom like the pitcher's arms do

Yep. Baseball more than any other team sport comes down to player performance. Not much a coach can really do to "tactic" his way into a win.

Catcher is far more important on the tactics side. All the manager basically has to is make commonsense decisions, and even then, he won't win with fans if the decision backfires.

Ex. Starter is cruising through 7. Manager pulls starter for reliever, reliever fucks up. Fans rage at decision to not leave starter in.

Same situation, but manager leaves starter in, who blows it. Fans rage, saying the manager should've went to the shutdowm reliever earlier.

Putting in shitzer instead of a fully rested roark who literally has experience coming out of the bullpen

If it hadn't have been for that bullshit call in the 8th, they may have actually won. I think the universe just hates the Nats. That or the ump was on the Cubs' payroll.

Yep. Umps gave the cubs 2 extra runs in the 5th.

The rule is 6.03, part of the section about "Batter Illegal Action" (i.e., things which are illegal for batters to do, and the consequences for them):

>"If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play."

So according to the rules, the moment Baez' bat hit Wieters' mask it was strike 3, dead ball, inning over - but the umps (after Wieters and Baker protested and all the umps conferred, no less) let the inning continue and the cubs scored 2 more runs. After the game the home plate umpire said he decided the rule "didn't apply" - even though there's nothing in the rule saying the umpire has any discretion about when to apply it.

Previous "all time worst calls" were before replay and didn't involve a full umpire crew conference. All 6 umps conferred and still got it wrong (which looks very bad for baseball).

Changed two teams' entire seasons. One of the worst blown calls in a long time.

oh okay that make sense. thanks for a reasonable response and not a shitpost

Batting Jayson Werth 2nd

that rule only applies if the catcher catches it because a third strike that the catcher makes contact with and loses is a live passed ball. If weiters hadn’t touched it, like it was a completely wild pitch the ball would still be live for the baserunners regardless if weiters is struck unintentionally on the swing and baez struck out. Also I’m sure the rules allow weiters to throw out the runner at first so Baez would’ve been out if he had just made a proper throw. If weiters had truly believed it was a dead ball, why did he try to make a play in the first place?

>that rule only applies if the catcher catches it
Show me where the rule says that.

The rule is about the batter interfering with the catcher's ability to catch the ball. It's in no way conditional on what the catcher does. If the batter swings and misses, and then hits the catcher, it's a strike and dead ball. The end. It's just as much a strike as if the batter swung at a wild pitch into the dugout on strike one or strike two. And any exceptions wouldn't even make sense, because they would give the batter an incentive to make sure they hit the catcher to try to dislodge the ball or have the catcher miss - exactly the behavior the rule is written to prevent.

In other words, the batter isn't allowed to interfere with the catcher any more than the catcher is allowed to interfere with the batter. There's no ambiguity or discretion about the catcher interfering with the batter on the front swing - mitt touches the bat, interference. No "but he wouldn't have hit the ball anyway." Simple. That same lack of ambiguity and discretion gets reversed on the back swing. Batter hits the catcher, it's a strike and dead ball.

Wieters continues with the play because in any sport one is taught to continue the play and then fix the mistakes later. It's not Wieters' job to know the umpire doesn't know the rules. This is not T-ball.

There's also no "it wouldn't have" or "but he could have compensated by" discretion in the rule. It's like other kinds of interference.

By rule, the moment the bat hits the catcher it's a strike and dead ball. In this case that means strike 3, dead ball, and because it was two outs that third strike ends the inning. After that instant what Wieters does with the ball is - or at least if the rule had been applied correctly should have been - of no difference. Throw to first, stand there, throw the ball in the stands, it doesn't matter - because there are no baserunners and there is no inning.

Not really, he's had a lot of success. He made the fucking reds good.

Dusty Baker is a terrible manager. I cannot understand why he gets hired. His teams end in absolute misery. He has a very stiff, robotic, formulaic way of managing. It's like a young man fresh out of university. Too much text book, not nearly enough personal touch. You understand it coming from the young man because he has no experience, but it makes no sense coming from Baker who has much experience. Baker's moves seem like a guy trying to not lose than a guy trying to win.

I mean, why take out Gio Gonzalez so soon? OK, fine, whatever. Bring in Scherzer. Why Albers there? OK, fine. Albers pitched brilliantly, using only 16 pitches. Albers dominated. Why not let Albers go another inning? Now bring in Scherzer? After a reliever? Bizarre. Then you bring in Kintzler to put out Scherzer's fire? Righties are hitting almost .300 against Kintzler. There's so much more to say about the way the stiff, robotic Baker manages a game. He's just got to go.