UK replacing aging frigates with underperforming corvettes

>In 2023, the Royal Navy hopes the first of its new Type 31 frigates will hit the waves to replace HMS Argyll, the first of 13 Type 23 frigates scheduled to begin retiring that year, with another to retire every year until 2035. The new vessels will add desperately needed modern warships to the United Kingdom’s depleted fleet.

>However, that’s the hope. It’s not realistic, according to program officials cited in a report from Defense News. The compressed timetable will likely delay the Type 31, and worse — tight budgets are forcing compromises with the vessel’s weapons and capabilities. The result will be a Royal Navy adopting a smaller, less combat-capable ship than the Type 23, which has served since the 1980s as the backbone of Britain’s submarine hunting fleet.

R-Rule the waves...

Other urls found in this thread:

arrse.co.uk/wiki/Strategic_Defence_Review
arrse.co.uk/wiki/Nimrod_MRA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Meh, those are still probably better than what 90% of the world gets

We get the Sigma 10514 frigate
But even them are still not a replacement for our Allende class but an add on

it's a qt ship

Whatever cholo, even Argentina managed to sink several of their frigates and destroyers at the cost of only a couple vessels and cargo boats.

Well surface warfare has changed a lot
Argentinas lost their flagship to a submarine and Brits got a good chunk of their fleet btfo by outdated planes

They already have the Type 26 which is much bigger than regular 2-3k tons frigates used worldwide, not like a few corvettes will matter much.
Besides in the end frigates and corvettes are just fodder for F-35 with naval strike missile or tow truck for sonars.

They lost their flagship then hid in port for the rest of the war. Are you in thailand on holiday to fuck the ladyboys?

Even still they're the second most powerful navy on the face of the earth.

Chill ladyboy, no need to throw a hissy fit over this

And they will still be after that
What's the whining for then?

It's easy enough for an untested Navy to claim as much. China has pumped out more surface warships in the past decade than any other country in the world, while Britain didn't even have enough for their latest naval review.

Chill esse, no need to lose your head.

kek, that was actually a good comeback

I still think they are overreacting
To be realistic they would play a supporting role to the US Navy
Also
>Russia with an opinion in carriers

if you've been getting straight A's your whole life, getting a B is a massive punch to the ego.

muh britania rules the waves

we should merge our navies with the UK. Genuinely not kidding and I don't see the downside of this

>Russian threats
Western countries stopped taking those seriously after the Cuban Missile Crisis

And here OP reveals himself

I've been saying I was Chinese for five years now. None of you ever believed me.

Considering Thailand is 15% chink it shouldn't surprise anyone.

t. Costa Rican

Even Russia doesn't take the Russian Navy seriously.

Just usual Strategic Defence Review
arrse.co.uk/wiki/Strategic_Defence_Review
Well at least they are not making another Nimrod for ASW
arrse.co.uk/wiki/Nimrod_MRA4
>Following the 2010 Rearrangement of the deckchairs on the Titanic the decision was made to cancel the MRA4 entirely, before it entered service. It's deja vu all over again.
>This means that the nine pretty-much-finished planes are being scrapped at the cost of £4.1bn of taxpayer's money to save on the cost of operating them. This scrapping commenced on 26 January 2011 and included £200 million pounds of compensation to BAe Systems (!!!) for early cancellation of the contract.

Maybe by 2035, China will have a navy that's attained a late 2000s technological level.

There was nothing inherently wrong with the idea of revamping the Nimrod.

They've already have the second most powerful Navy in the world.

Are you retarded? The design isn't even confirmed yet.

I'd rather they complained now, before the design has been finalized. Put a bit of pressure on the MOD.

When I hear the US talking about China it sounds exactly like the UK talking about Germany in the 1890s.

We'll be replacing the 13 """"ageing"""" Type 23 (which are still quite quite modern compared to most countries) with 8 of the high end Type 26. The 6 Type 31's design hasn't been confirmed yet and is a number of years away. Anyway I do still think we need more ships than the number we have or will be getting.