Small things in football that piss you off

>team has the ball right before halftime
>decides to take a knee and run out the clock instead of going for a hail mary

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.cougarstats.com/2015/09/10/hail-marys-just-how-improbable-are-they/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Never understood that just as I never understood trying the full court basket in the end of quarters

Not trying the full court*

blog.cougarstats.com/2015/09/10/hail-marys-just-how-improbable-are-they/

>Of the 403 Hail Mary situations from 2005 through 2013, only 10 (2.5%) resulted in TDs.
>A Hail Mary pass was intercepted on 19% of all attempts, which is nearly 8 times more frequent than a Hail Mary touchdown.

Seems like a pretty silly thing to do at half-time. You're pretty likely to walk off into the locker room on an interception return. It could be the difference between winning and losing.

You should put the numbers of the times those 19 ints were returned for tds

Being intercepted with no time on the clock means jack shit if not returned for a touchdown

It hurts confidence

>runs up the middle no gain

Happens way too often

>This

Pic in the end zone as time expires for the half is the same as a kneel.

If your team it THAT fragile, emotionally, you got bigger problems anyway.

>screen or draw play on 3rd and 29

dude just punt it on 3rd down if that's what you're gonna do

>Fake punt pass plays on third scare the D on 4th

>or get a 1st down

>team doesn't go for 2
>team punts the ball

not really, since everyone knows it is a throw away play

>running to the short side of the field
>ever

>ball carrier runs left but carries right
>ball carrier runs right but carries left
nigga keep the ball closest to the sideline so you have a free arm closest to the defenders

>prevent defense
>hey our defense is playing well enough that we might win this game but let's stop trying to stop the ball from being moved down the field in order to protect the lead

Having a good QB but the OL starts to fuck up

I'm sure you guys would make great coordinators

Do screen plays ever work? I swear 95% of the time it does jack shit and they lose yards

t. seahawks or colts

>we go again

>3rd/4th and 1
>QB lines up in shotgun

>team plays """prevent""" defense
>opposing team methodically marches down the field
>prevent defense team loses

>black guys tackle each other
>wrap the guy up and give him a high five when he gets up or a slap on the ass

>black guys tackle white player
>immediately goes for the knees, over reacts, and then tries to shout and intimidate when he gets up

>niggers
>running up the middle
>ads
>too much violence

It's one thing for a QB to risk his rating for an end-of-game hail mary, but they won't want to risk an 8:1 chance of an INT for a halftime score that may end up being meaningless one way or another. There needs to be some way to adjust qb ratings for things like the -1 yards from taking a kneeldown or an intentional incomplete to stop the clock.

this seems to happen all the time. why is it even called "prevent" defense if it doesnt prevent shit

Players can get injured during that play unnecessarily, waste of energy and possible turnover/ pick 6

If you team has the lead and gets the ball next half. Running the clock out is acceptable.

I can see not doing the hail mary because muh stats and the horrendously low chance of a pick 6, but at least run it up the middle or throw one of those shitter dump passes offenses love so much now
Don't just kneel away a possession, that's like punting on first down

Another thing I think is dumb is that you can throw the ball away if you're out of the pocket. Why does having an eligible receiver in the area matter when you throw the ball in the pocket but not when you're out of it?

Check downs are for faggots

This, changing the entire scheme of your D that suppressed their offense the whole game is pants on head retarded

>seeing the normal pepe after staring at the dot
Nice.

Low success rate, interception changes momentum going into locker room, and most importantly it's another chance for a player to get injured.

>shutdown other team virtually entire game
>up by a score near the end
>start playing prevent defense
>other team gains 10-15 yards every play

>not running out of bounds when there's a clear opportunity to do so especially when the probability of SIGNIFICANTLY more is minimal

probability of gaining SIGNIFICANTLY more yards

This is a good if not common question.

A traditional hail mary would place the QB at a higher risk of a sack just by nature of the pass rush element. The reason a sack is so important is it 1) increases the risk of a fumble and b) if your quarterback is sacked, he has a risk of injury.

Also field position has to be taken into consideration. If you performance a hail mary from your opponents 20, that is a huge distance versus the 50 or your own 40.

Also, hail marys are damaging to everyone involved... cornerbacks, wide recievers lines up as safety, fucking high value wide outs... all standing next to each other pushing and making room for a ball that is most likely widely off target.

Besides, halftime is literally halftime. Whatever happened the previous 30 minutes of play can and should be able to be undone in the next 30 minutes of play.

It's the same reason you don't see offsides kicks in the first quarter. It's a very calculated risk based off current conditions, remaining time, and position. Halftime is never the time for a hail mary because there is rarely a situation to move all your major pieces into that sort of pressure with so much risk with a very little rate of return.

Bad coaches call it at the wrong time. Good coaches implement the blocking well to fool the D, as well as good timing to get good yards. There will still be no gains or loss of yardage, but if done right you can keep the defense thinking about the short pass.

4th and long, defense has no chance to return the ball back to the line of scrimmage, but intercepts instead of batting the ball down, to pad his stats

>3rd down and 15
>qb throws 8 yards to a covered receiver

Unfuckingbelievable. Drives me up the fucking wall every time.

Let's take this logic to absurdity we saw when college coaches fucking flooded into the NFL... why don't players line up and fight for the ball even when the QB is clearly going to kneel?

Do you remember Greg Schiano when he was head coach of the Bucs? Doing fucking cheapshots at the end of the game when opposing quarterbacks were trying to knell down in the last 2 minutes.

Like there is a reason that shit was fucking retarded. Risk versus reward.

Depends on the circumstance. Coming from a former shitty receiver in college... there are basically plans for various field positions. Sometimes the route you run is the route that is built to reduce exposure strictly based on field position. We aren't always running to grab the deep ball and over the top score. And yes, a 4th and 5 is drastically different than a 4th and 15.

Dude, I've seen this same shit happen when it's 3rd and 8, down 10 points in the 4th qurter. Some qb will throw a writer screen and it gets blown up. Fuck that shit, have all your receiver going at least 10 yards and get the first down. Doing shit like that is pathetic and it shows no will to win. No excuse.

But it's still a give up play at the point
Because then you're saying, "let's only go for 8 here because we won't get a first down, and we'll still punt on fourth."
Fourth downs are because you did everything to make the first down and failed.
You get 3 tries. Why waste one?

Prevent defense, specially if your defense has been playing well so far. Why change the whole scheme when it's clearly working?

because if they don't do it, and they get torched by an 80 yard bomb, the coach gets raked over the coals for *not* doing the prevent

Wr screen*

My Broncos have been doing this a lot this season. It pisses me off to see the opposing team suddenly move the ball freely.

Not even going to start but basically the on field strategy of football is absolutely horrendous and stuck in the stone age

Strategy versus tactics. If you watch, play, and learn enough about football you will get it eventually. I'm very confident you've seen some shit plays and have some valid concerns... but in a professional or college game... just recognize that these are usually calculated decisions that are made.

I mean we aren't getting into the very specific play calling, but sure. Screens. I hope we get that nomenclature and we are now speaking extremely broadly about 4th play decisions...

You are just wrong. Strategy versus tactics. A strategy is a game plan, a tactic is a single play in isolation. Football is war, not a battle. Of course you want to gain a touchdown every single play, but that is not going to happen and it doesn't have to happen. The very real point being made here is not every play in Football should or has to be made with the assumption a touchdown will occur.

You're getting raked either way if you give up a touchdown, might as well use the defense that's been working so far. Maybe it's confirmation bias, but it seems every time a team switches to prevent they start getting gashed.

Again to take the logic of this thread into absurdity, WHY DON'T THEY GO FOR FIRST DOWN EVERY 4TH DOWN?

Clearly there is a very calculated risk. No different when you toss a Hail Mary. And no need to risk your QB getting smashed, your wide outs getting roughed up, and the increased risk of interception/fumble for such an extremely low return.

because if you make it on 4th down, there's still a chance you'll just end up punting on 4th-and-10 a few yards up the field

>Goal line
>Throw a fade more than once
>Throwing on first and goal period

I've been watching the NFL religiously for 14 years now, I've seen enough games to know what giving up on 3rd down is. What, they are going to make the punt 4 yards less? Sorry, there's no excuse.

Only if you’re a stat-padding faggot like Brady

I'm not saying every play has to be the big play or the touchdown play. But you should always try to get the first down. There is no strategy in turning the ball over to the other team on a 4th down forced by a given up 3rd down.

No team ever wants to turn over ever.
So no, there's no sense in giving up on 3rd down just to force a 4th down punt that would have taken place any way.

Of course teams aren't bombing it down the field every play. But they should try and make a first down every time. No team goes out there like "Yeah, if we don't make it on 2nd down, let's just set up the punt on 3rd instead of trying to get yards for the 1st"

Football is about time of possession. You lose that when you turn the ball over. And you turn the ball over when you give up one of your three chances.

>4th and 1
>run up middle
>get first down

>later in game
>4th and 1
>run up middle
>blown the fuck out, not even close

Why the fuck do teams do this?

>the conservative virgin

>the aggressive chad

>i don't have a good come back
>*tips fedora*
>"m'lady"

Calm down dude, it's just a stupid meme. Meme or not, that's what those posters sound like. If they were head coaches, that's most likely what thier mindsets would be when playcalling. Not saying one is better or worse.