Was he a bad guy, Sup Forums ?

Was he a bad guy, Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s-fSVZS2VyU
youtube.com/watch?v=IgqIh5F_rqE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He wasn't himself

Noble intentions, unrealistic expectations, weak will.

He was cast as a villain from his first scene to make Aragorn's arc "more obvious" to the viewing public. A big mistake that diminished his character. They overestimated how dumb people are.

>weak will

That's how he's conveyed, but in the book, the point with Boromir and Denethor was that even very great men could be corrupted by the Ring. Even Gandalf and the Elves did not take its influence lightly.

They should have kept the character alive. he was awesome.

he just perfectly portrays mankind. He is courageous, brave, strong, loyal; but also can be swayed by evil and greed. He had all of mankind's strengths as well as our weaknesses.

Not in the slightest. His "weakness" is no different than any other man who came upon the Ring. But in the end, he broke free from its temptation and died fighting to protect his friends. He's a far more human and relatable character than Aragorn.

>our

It might be that way for everyone, or better, or worse. Who knows. We only have ourselves as a reference. It is incredibly likely that that interpretation is extremely flattering even as it is.

>He's a far more human and relatable character than Aragorn.

But what about his ghostspam?

He was a big guy.

flawed guy

not typical good guy, definitely not bad guy.

just a flawed guy, but redeemed. He didn't do anything that bad either.

4U.

join the fellowship they said

no. His betrayal was meant to show that even the best and most righteous of mankind could fall to the rings temptation.
Which shows just how based Aragorn was and why he decided to let Frodo go alone

Boromir redeemed himself in his final stand though

denethor was always a faget

No, he was a good guy who so desperately wanted to do the right thing and save his people that he was willing to sacrifice his honor and integrity to achieve that goal. After all, what was one man's fate when compared to the lives of millions?

He was a real human Bean

>my last name is Stewart
>friends used to rag on me, quoting Gandalf in RotK: "He is not the king. He is a Steward only. A caretaker of the throne".

Denethor II got as raw of a deal as Boromir in the films. The Stewards of Gondor had high Numenorean blood and were as rightful kings as any.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No, he was a political idealist.

>The Stewards of Gondor had high Numenorean blood
I never knew this

I always felt he was the most human character of the fellowship

Childhood is idolizing Aragon, adulthood is realizing Boromir made more sense

he was our guy

>He didn't do anything that bad either
He tried to take the ring from Frodo, that's pretty bad I think. Yeah, men are more susceptible to the rings will, but Faramir and Aragorn for example fought against it successfully

Galadriel of all people appeared to be more tempted by the ring than Aragorn.

Despite being exposed to it for a much shorter time.

In the books Aragorn is 'tested' so to speak when they meet in the Prancing Pony, he says if he wanted to take the ring then he could have it. Aragorn doesn't even want the power granted by claiming his kingship of Gondor though possibly because he is a loner and has nothing to lose besides Arwen.

No, he was just meant to represent humanity. Good intentions but ultimately flawed.

Well Galadriel is the most bitter of the elves, so it makes sense for her to be tempted despite her high lineage.

>Aragorn doesn't even want the power granted by claiming his kingship of Gondor

I do not recall this being the case at all. Doesn't he mention it a lot and act like a special snowflake because of it?

bitches like shiny things, why do you think there was no mary sue in the fellowship

He does. In the books Aragorn doesn't go through the angst-phase, he makes very clear who he is and what is due to him. He's not a dick about it, though.

He was one of the greatest of a dwindling few men who retained pure Numenorian blood. But even he did not think he was worthy of being a true king of Gondor, as it would diminish the meaning of the true royal line, and that of the kingdom.

>Aragorn
>just some dude
>descendant of elf kings and demigods

OP
HAX

quality opinion, this is why I come to Sup Forums

well he gets Anduril at Rivendell so presumably it's all set up before the book for him to press his claim, at the same time he obviously isn't in a rush to do so. He visits Gondor as a young man and basically becomes Denethors right hand man as Thorondil or some guise and Boromir grows up getting told he is half the man Aragorn is and Faramir then grows up getting told he's half the man Boromir is. It is pretty tragic and Aragorn never apologises or acknowledges it. Then he spends like 5 years tracking Gollum into Mordor. It's clear that until that point Aragorn is not desperate and he even sneaks into minas tirith to heal people to prevent being spotted and named King.

>He visits Gondor as a young man and basically becomes Denethors right hand man as Thorondil or some guise and Boromir grows up getting told he is half the man Aragorn is and Faramir then grows up getting told he's half the man Boromir is.

Huh. What's that from?

you dumbasses

the entire plotline is based around Men being low in elvish blood, they're just weak all around nearly zombies compared to elves

>when you first see Aragorn in the bar.
Goddamn Fellowship was amazing and full of heart

too bad that the two that followed sucked

and good god let me wipe away the memory of Hobbit trash out of my mind

>too bad that the two that followed sucked
Contrarian

It's in one of the appendixs.

youtube.com/watch?v=s-fSVZS2VyU

it's in the appendices of RoTK in full, in it Aragorn goes to Umbar and sets fire to the entire fleet to prevent an invasion. It goes into some detail on how he meets Thengel (Theodens father), Eomund (Eomer's father) and Imrahils father in Dol Amroth. Faramir and Boromir looked up to him as a brother, but neither ever finds out the truth.

All 3 are perfect films

feels like Battlefield Earth for some reason

nah, ROTK is weak as a film due to writing errors.
2Towers feels stakeless especially if you don't watch EE

>ever

Didn't Faramir find out?

youtube.com/watch?v=IgqIh5F_rqE

What were his last words?

Jesus Christ ! What the hell happend to Peter ?

>Boromir made more sense
by letting the ring literally destroy Gondor?
Yeah lotta sense there

He wanted #GloryForGondor and his intentions were noble but the greed for power corrupted his mind, he wasn't himself

Did Sauron often eat dwarves?

I watch this with my gf last week, she was glad that he died in the end because he was the "bad guy"

Made more sense in that he was much more human and relatable.

If you or I were put in his shoes I'd wager we'd have done the same.

no

Looks just like harry potter. Hard to watch

he was rushed

Far as we know, no he never found out.

>Made more sense in that he was much more human and relatable.
fair enough

you need to hatefuck her for that

He was white therefore he was evil.

Hey-Ohhhh!

Good thing studio heads don't read books or they might have wanted an Aragorn movie even if I really like the actor.

Wasn't he alive during Aragorn's coronation?

>see if it's any good

ITT people who entirely missed the fucking point

Nah he was a good guy. The whole point was that the ring was corrupting him, and his attempt to steal it was to show that the ring was the bad guy.

Most people forget that he died protecting the hobbits, and that he admitted that he fucked up to Aragorn.

The Wilhem scream at the end really sells it

That was gay, shame on you faggots

It's approaching so bad it's good territory.

Women were a mistake

>I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you, I will not let the white city fall, nor our people fail
>I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king
Seriously, hackson? This shit isn't passable by current standards!

Every single Numenorean house in Gondor renounced their claim to the throne simultaneously.
It's super ironic that you're quoting the motivation for the kin strife in the first place when everything right up to "try fucking the elves again" failed to increase their lifespans. Throwing in the towel was actually the right thing to do.

>"try fucking the elves again" failed to increase their lifespans
How come? Half-elven consequence of choosing to be a human rather than elven?

>"try fucking the elves again" failed to increase their lifespans
So Aragon and Arvens child won't have a longer lifespan?

Yes, but Faramir was young, think it works out that he'd be maybe 5 when Aragorn was 28 so he'd not remember Thorondil that clearly and also the years of travelling in the wild change Aragorn a lot.

>no high quality series of Aragorn's journeys
just kys me

Because the idea of it being a matter of a bloodline's purity in the first place was bullshit.
The intermingled Black Numenoreans were pushing four or five hundred during the second age.
The first generation new half elf lived to be about 200 instead of 130ish if I remember correctly but that delta was gone in two more generations. It didn't reverse the longterm trend at all.
Aragorn and Arwen's kid might get a little bump but we've already been down this road before.

Why didn't the Numenoreans choose to be elven if they wanted immortality in the first place? They're all half-elves, are they not?

>our people?

>take its influence lightly
Are you serious? Anyone that had the faintest idea of what it could do to them treated it like fucking cyanide. Gandalf was shitting himself over touching it, and you never saw an elf closer than ten paces from it.

This is an underrated pasta

>ywn know why Aragorn is familiar with the ringwraiths, watch his father die to a hill troll uprising or his exploits in Harad with the Blue Wizards.

Weren't the ringwraiths kangs

In the book Shelob is like the crescendo of Two Towers. But in the movie they split her between 2 and 3. It ruins the payoff.

shelob only appears in the third movie altho smeagol (i refuse to call him gollum) mentions "her" one or two times

>i refuse to call him gollum
Why?

And she is supposed to be the boss battle of film two. that's why I think the pacing felt flat

yeah but loooong dead by the time Aragorn is around (Sauron is called the Necromancer since the 9 sort of reappear with him during the Hobbit). Presumably he meets them in Mordor finding Gollum or possibly in his younger days.

Because I have to believe he can come back
Yeah, I get that but I was happy with what jackson did, I fucking hate the way grima and saruman dies in the movies, that shit pissed me off, but what jackson did adapting the books into movies in "film terms" is comparable to the second coming of jesus h. christ

>he can come back
He died but inadvertently saved Middle Earth from Sauron, and that I tink is more than you can hope for that poor bastard

>Tolkien has gollum literally just walking backwards over the cliff edge into the cracks of doom

so a dude who is some master climber suddenly just slips off a ledge?

>they

Tolkien was just one guy though.

I think you're misunderstanding how half-elves work in Tolkien's work. First of all there are no "half-elves", children born from a elf and a man can choose whether they become men or elves. Then they become men, or elves.

You can only choose if one of your parents was a man, and one was an elf. If you then have children with a member of your race, they will be the same race as you always. They don't inherit your half-elvishness because "half-elves" aren't really a thing.

YO GUYS I JUST REALIZED THIS SHIT
frodo failed, the lord of the rings is not just a tale of
good vs evil, friendship, bravery, etc.
It's the tale of how a good man (hobbit) like frodo
has to live with his failures and face the fact that he will have no redemption at all

is just a line from the movies dude gee

My problem is that Denethor was portrayed as a weak and petty illegitimate pseudo-king in the films, when in the books he was a just and wise king who was only finally broken by the news that both of his sons had died, and his bloodline was severed. He's supposed to be the Middle Earth King Lear, but instead Hackson made him into a gluttonous fuckhead.

Denethor fucking resisted the corruption of Sauron more than did Saruman. He lived and gave his life for the people of Gondor, but nobody who only watched the movies knows this.

That's why he goes to demigod heaven at the end.

>literally just walking backwards over the cliff edge
Well he'd just got the ring back and he was dancing around wildly in excitement and then fell