When did you realise that in regards to innovation and experimentation they're equals of the Velvet Underground or the...

When did you realise that in regards to innovation and experimentation they're equals of the Velvet Underground or the Beatles?

Attached: The Who.jpg (300x300, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TKAwPA14Ni4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

One hundred years from now when all recordings have been lost

Great band, and my favorite as a teenager. Also massively influential on everything from punk to prog.

That said, they're tricky. Their early stuff is great, ballsy rock music. Townshend's songwriting is great though the mid 70s. That said, some of their conceptual stuff is tepid and lame, and their concept albums frankly have too many throwaway tracks.

I can see why so many people dismiss them after their early period. I think some of their later stuff is worth considering, but still kind of a minefield because of the mediocrity that's there too.

However, while I think their rock opera stuff and hard rock stuff are overrated, I actually think that reunion album they did, Endless Wire, is really underrated. Mike Post Theme is a great song.

>in regards to innovation
The Who>The Rolling Stones>The Beatles>The Velvet Underground>>>>>shit>>>>>>l*d zepp*lin

The Beatles > The Velvet Underground > The Who > The Rolling Stones > Led Zeppelin
all five are great

>Rolling Stones and TVU innovative
kek

i actually and unironically want to hear how these guys were innovative (and above all) experimental. please refrain from >muh concept album arguments tho.

IM A BOY IM A BOY BUT MY PA WONT ADMIT IT...

wow bro ur pretty dumb

60s Rock innovation goes like this

Jimi Hendrix=Beatles=VU>Led Zeppelin>The Rolling Stones>The Who

You probably haven't heard enough music...

>Jimi Hendrix=Beatles
>60s Rock innovation
>Jimi Hendrix

Attached: brainlet2.jpg (218x232, 8K)

I know a lot of people who are really into "Jimmy Hendrix"

Early use of feedback in rock music
Early use of extremely loud volume and feedback in popular rock music
Early use of electronics in rock music
Early adopters/creators of both the Rock Opera in album and song form
Inventors and namers of Power Pop
Earliest known usage of the "death growl" in music, or at least popular recorded music
Popularised destructive rock stage performances
Pioneers of "arena rock" and that mode of performance
My Generation is pretty much the groundwork for Punk
Helped to popularise power chords

A lot of what they did has become so ingrained within Rock music though that it's hard to view it as ever not being there, but The Who did do an awful lot of legwork in the 60s to help mould Rock into what it became

who?

Guess Who

youtube.com/watch?v=TKAwPA14Ni4

You're right townshend is the obvious genius

Please don't do a stupid Hendrix/Townshend argument. I'm a big fan of both of them, and seeing you guys stupidly insult either of them is ridiculous.

Hendrix got the equipment set-up he did because it was what Pete had been using before Hendrix even formed the Experience. Sure, Hendrix innovated past Townshend's innovations, but without Pete he probably wouldn't have done so, or at least not in the same way that he did.

This is a big part of why an argument over Hendrix vs. Townshend is stupid. Townshend was a huge influence on Hendrix, especially on his arpeggiated guitar style. Townshend was a great admirer of Hendrix, who he thought was the greatest guitarist he'd ever seen.

of course

yes

all of you are forgetting cream

Townsend is a paedo tho B-)

Yeah, but in the age of #metoo, suddenly creepy ol' Pete looking at pictures of kids doesn't seem so bad, when all these other musicians are out raping people.

I'm glad Serge Gainsbourg isn't alive for this... I'm almost scared to see what's happening with #moiaussi

Pete dindu nuffin

Quadrophenia is the peak of '70s rock

The day I listened to The Ox and European Son back to back.

Also Lies, by The Knickerbockers.

All of you know that The Who and Hendrix almost came to blows at the Monterrey Pop festival back in 67, don't you? Neither wanted to follow the other.

If you really want to hear The Jimi Hendrix Experience take the piss out of The Who proper, listen to the song, She's So Fine off of Axis Bold As Love.

I didn't know that, but it also doesn't matter, because Jimi Hendrix has acknowledged that Townshend was a huge influence, and Townshend regularly acknowledges how impressed he was with Hendrix. So your feud is just a dumb anecdote.

Sorry that you have such a shitty life that you feel the need to comment on a "Dumb Anecdote"

Hope your supervisor, or HR don't fire you for slacking off when you have a lot of work to do.

> Pete Townsend

Kek

Wow, what a shitty thing to say.

My life is going fine. In fact, I'm pretty happy with it right now. There are parts of it that are painful, and parts of it that are rewarding.

You're the one trying to start shit with your dumb anecdote. My point is, it's trivial in the grand scheme of things, since both Townshend and Hendrix repeatedly praised each other.

You should look at yourself. How shitty is your life, that you're attacking the lives of anyone who criticizes or disagrees with you? How much do you hate yourself?