David Lynch appreciation station

David Lynch appreciation station

What's your favorite film by him, and for that matter, why did he stop making them?

>why did he stop making them?

He can't secure funding.

Remember that when he dies in the next few year and all of the Hollywood producers and celebrities tweet out their crying and their "Respect for a true original artist!" and cheer when his face pops up in the Oscar death montage.

changes a lot, but inland empire and mulholland dr are the ones that regularly fight for the top position for me

I can't imagine it would cost much to make something like Inland Empire.

eraserhead was really cool but i think blue velvet is my favorite all around. the straight story is very underrated too.

i think he sees himself as more of a visual artist than a director so he finds that film projects are to collaborative and time consuming. im really hoping he knocks it out of the park with the new tp season.

Double feature of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. Lost Highway is sort of the same as MD but with male leads. Awesome soundtrack too.
Still love Dune just for how alien it feels.

I remember seeing Eraserhead as a kid and made me hate him until I grew up and saw Elephant Man and Twin Peaks. Eraserhead is utter trash.

1. Wild at Heart
2. Eraserhead
3. Blue Velvet
4. Mulholland Dr
5. Elephant Man
6. Fire Walk With Me
7. Dune
havent seen the others lmao

>when he dies in the next few
Don't say such things.

The only studio that was willing to fund him was Studio Canal, I think

Maybe he's one of those people whose smoking seemingly extends their lives.

Underrated Lynch kino

Yeah, like Harry Dean Stanton (who's also a Lynch regular btw). He's like 120 years old and been smoking since he was 12.

Does anyone know if there's a way to contact David Lynch? His work means so much to me and no other director had such a big impact on me.

I believe Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire are objectively his best films, and the "ultimate" Lynch experiences.

I LIKE TO KILL DEER

Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks
Inland Empire
Lost Highway

Never liked Inland Empire that much. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive were my first Lynch movies and they stay in the top for me.

Is there any way to understand Inland Empre? Or David lynched himself as well?

His films are just character studies that take place inside the character's head. Rather than watching the character interact with others in the "real world" of the film, you're viewing a stream of their memories, fantasies, dreams, etc.

Don't approach it like coded filmmaking, where each little detail has important significance. It's more about the overall impression of the main character's mental state, feelings about other characters, etc.

"Inland Empire" is about an aging actress who has let herself be pushed around & manipulated by men, for her whole life. She's reflecting on her past relationships, roles she's played in films, and having some kind of spiritual connection with the murdered Polish actress who starred in the original production of her current film. It's just all kind of mashed together like a fever dream.

I know what you talking about, but every movie he made have some core: in Lost Highway dude killed his wife, in Mullholand drive blonde killed brunette, Eraserhead about being single father. But this movie just unbreakable for me. I'm not even sure that she really a actress and just dream it aswell. Thanks for reply though.

IE is another criticism of Hollywood/American fame culture, it's like an expansion on the ideas of Mulholland Drive. MD is all about the people who chase a dream and fail. IE is about an actress who is "living the dream" and finding a whole new set of difficulties and disappointments for those who "make it."

My thoughts on it are that she is not an actress. Spoilers below obviously. Towards the end we see the dirty beat up prostitute get killed. I believe this is the "real character". The whole movie up to that point are her thoughts as she lay dying. Notice how some things that the hobos say are things that showed up earlier. The labyrinthine house represents her mind or her subconscious and she is slowly going over her past and justifying/coming to terms with/lamenting over who she is. After she dies, the director calls cut, and this to me is the start of the after life. Many believe IE has ties to transcendental meditation, and I know nothing about that, but I see the movie as a look at the idea of consciousness. Throughout the movie, the seemingly more straight forward stuff involving the actress represents the journey of her consciousness. The weirder and unexplainable stuff is her past and thoughts and basically "human" ties to the consciousness. When she dies and the "filming ends" this continues the story of her consciousness. The body dies but the consciousness continues on. This explains to me why at the end we once again see the actress not the prostitute. She's on the other side of the room signifiying that only one day has passed. A woman lived and died and all it was was one day in the grander idea of consciousness. Obviously there are many ways to interpret it, but that's what makes sense to me and hopefully that gives you some direction.

Thanks for your theories, guys.

>appreciation station

join puppper?

My favorite is Inland Empire, it's one of the most phenomenal films ever made. Lost Highway was also great, I never really liked Mulholland Drive a lot. Fire Walk With Me is an astoundingly horrifying and dizzying film but it's hard to rank because it doesn't really stand without twin peaks.
I offered the analysis on Inland Empire, I'd also like to say I don't think Eraserhead is about being a single father. It's about a man with totally crushing anxiety, which obviously would surface in the case of being a father. However I think everything in the film takes place in his head, there is no "real" scene like in MD or LH. The whole film is his battle with and eventual triumph over that anxiety. Lynch's movies always have this sort of resolution and killing his child didn't seem to resolve anything to me. That's why I think the murder represents his defeat of that anxiety and everything that ties him down and pushes other away. That's why he finds peace at the end. I think eraserhead may be open to more interpretation than any of his other films as there is no grounded moment. I've seen convincing arguments of suicide or overcoming a repressed memory (involving his rooms window, that one was really interesting), but I thought I'd just share

I love the talk show with Diane Ladd.

Lost highway is my fav.

Also, young Arquette is a fucking 10/10

Mulholland Drive for me, is Blue Velvet or Lost Highway good? Want to watch a lynch-kino tonight

Twin Peaks movie can't not be my favorite, but besides that it would be Blue Velvet. I'm a sucker for a good heros journey.
Lost Highway holds a special place in my heart though.

>Mulholland Dr
>muh lesbian "mystery"
Lost Highway is far superior.

Both are great. Blue Velvet is a perfect midpoint between Lynchian insanity and an adventure story.
Lost Highway is like Mulholland but about men.

Don't listen to the edgy contrarians, Blue Velvet is objectively the best Lynch film and his peak, everything that he made after that was a copy of BV.

>the "dark underbelly of _____" gimmick

Nice, the last one i watched was Inland Empire which was fantastic, albeit a little difficult to handle in one sitting but god damn it was horrifying at times

You guys know living a sedentary lifestyle is worse for your body than a pack of cigarettes a day?
These people are active, that's why they're living so long.

Just like Kubrick, he has never made a bad film.

Non ironically any of his films could be chossen. all masterpieces ... yes even Dune.

Oh shit you watched Inland Empire early? It was my last Lynch, unraveling Lost Highway really helped me approach IE. You know, everyone says that Lynch's films aren't for the plot, they're for the atmosphere and there's not much use for "figuring them out" but I think this misses a lot of the incredibly intricate work he does. Sure his work is predominant in tone and seeing them as exercises in such works, but even though they can be boiled down to "he killed his wife and made a story to cope with it", there's a whole lot more going on. I'm not saying thematically they're impressively deep, though they do study things that a lot of films don't, but they're definitely incredibly complex and it's fun to look at every single detail and see how it fits in. I don't think they're always planned out, but saying it's just dude dreams lmao skips over a lot of the storytelling and clues Lynch creates during the editing process.

Lost Highway will always be my favorite.

Not sure why but Id imagine its a money issue. Not alot of studios today invest in Lynch type movies.

Agree, I saw Mulholland drive and really liked it. I read up on his films. Eraser head seemed intriguing. I ordered it online and P-U ! What a stinker. It creed me out for sure but it was not enjoyed.

What is Axxon N (in Inland Empire, not the web series)?

Perfect hair genetics

What did they mean by this?

something something cursed alternate dimension radio play 4th wall breaking mindfuck dream.

He pursues projects that interest him.

nice. for some reason I haven't seen all of this.

delete

It is pretty jarring to go from a beautiful film like Mulholland Dr. to this.

That's a pretty big understatement, also he said he hasn't seen Lost Highway so obviously it's not in his list