How is this goblino so good at crafting pop music?

How is this goblino so good at crafting pop music?

Attached: a1.jpg (745x497, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LpbYatyl8Qk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because he's the best there fucking is

seriously I'd probably be happy if I could only ever listen to ariel, I never tire of his pop songs

Attached: Ariel-Pink-Haunted-Graffiti-SXSW-5-580x385.jpg (580x385, 73K)

I have been listening to him over and over for the last month

I love his aesthetic, though atm I just wish his music was more electronic.

Art Angels is the greatest album of the 2010s. I feel like she's a mastermind because she has to prove to the men in the industry that a woman can make sick pop music by herself.

Is that Kurt Cobain?

Yes

Kurt Cobain doesn't make pop, retard.

Why? I like him the best when he is full analog
>tfw the doldrums is a once in a lifetime album

listen to Nevermind and try to say that again

literally everything I pick up from him is gold. I even keep revisiting old tracks I didn't care for and finding out I love them - he's got fucking immense replay value
hell no, I don't want him to become some bland faceless hypnagogic pop songwriters whose synths

I could fuck off and listen to Nick Hakim or Homeshake for that bullshit, he's at the top of his game when he's making demented dream pop or mixing shit like the Buggles and metal riffs together

Top lel

yeah he does
art angels pales so badly in comparison to both pom pom and dedicated to bobby jameson

top 20 songs?

Jheeze okay - off the top of my head

1. Phantasma
2. Folly Foibles/Gold
3. Envelopes Another Day
4. Almost Waiting
5. Go 2 X's
6. Politely Declined
7. This Night Has Opened My Eyes
8. Among Dreams
9. Getting High In the Morning
10. Crying
11. Let's Build A Campfire There
12. Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?
13. Trepanated Earth
14. Oblivious Peninsula
15. Grey Sunset
16. Dayzed Inn Dreams
17. Time To Live
18. Round and Round
19. Not Enough Violence
20. Safeguards From Home

No, it's an uglier Kurt Cobain.

don't be mean cunt

Attached: arielpink_fyf2010_wide-28.jpg (640x425, 77K)

youtube.com/watch?v=LpbYatyl8Qk
Ty is the best Kurt Cobain reincarnation, prove me wrong

Attached: Segall.jpg (1600x900, 80K)

You can be analog and electronic as well.
But synths are capable of far more of a sound palette than just strumming basic guitar stuff. The rock bits are the epitome of bland in this day and age.

Look at this faggot

Nice trips

Ariel will most likely continue to satisfy his own curiosity and cram his whacky ideas into premium, memorable and unique pop songs.

Honestly even if a lot of his tracks sound retro or whatever you won't find anyone doing it in as many styles as he does, delivered by a weirdo faux-rock star, as consistently as he does and with bells and whistles attached for fun. Nobody like Ariel, especially someone who has covered all the ground he has.

I like Ty and he has some great individual tracks but he seems to have this problem whereby for extremely long sections of an album he seems physically incapable of writing a memorable song, which sucks because everything else is stellar

he was definitely better around fuzz, slaughterhouse, melted and manipulator

I heard that he only looked at music like a job apparently though. That would be a pity because I think his style can go beyond just something that looks at retro things in a weird way. Thus why I want him to mess with even more electronics.

I think people underrate his live albums, Live in San Francisco by Ty Segall Band is a great example because it's a much more concise version of what he was doing on SlaughterHouse. My favourites from him are his two self-titled albums, Fuzz (1, and their EPs), Emotional Mugger and Melted desu

He's gone fucking way beyond some retro novelty act, I honestly don't think he ever was that

electronics won't make his music any more unique, in fact I think it would just dampen how exciting it is to hear him rumble lo-fi guitars as much as he does. There are enough electronic-only hypnagogic artists out there, especially when ariel is on a roll without filling that mould anyway

I liked the Manipulator stuff I heard live, didn't hear any of the other ones

I like Segall though because he quite often knocks out a few brilliant tracks and the labels he releases his stuff on tend to have some garage punk heritage which is pretty cool

Ariel Pink will never defeat Robert Pollard as the king pop songwriter

Thanks mate! Im going to go re-listen to the ones on your list that haven't earned a spot on my Ariel playlist yet

Don't start this argument I love both

the only thing with pollard is since the days when he could accidentally fill an album with fucking amazing tracks (see: Alien Lanes) the tracks all sound much of a muchness these days

enjoy pal

some of em are on slightly more obscure releases but they shouldn't be too hard to find (apparently there are loads of releases even I don't know anything about).

I really want to see him do something with a stronger math rock influence, all his dynamic and thumping tracks have been amazing (probably because he has a really good ear for rhythm).

Pollard still averages like 10 great songs a year which is far and beyond any other artist (especially considering most albums only put out an album every 2 years, and those are the fast paced ones)

Ariel's songs have a LOT more character/eccentricy/personality to them which is a huge plus and makes me connect with him on a personal level more.....but at the end of the day, Pollard just has so many -more- great songs.

I'd like to hear math rock ariel pink

I've always had a dream that ariel might go and write the greatest pop punk album ever but it's just a silly pipe dream
yeah in terms of sheer amount of songs you're probably right, I feel like ariel's tracks are a little more varied and fleshed out properly though

But he really hasn't, and that's kinda my point. It's catchy yet generic indie rock that's been down for a long time with a variety of interesting effect filters on top (the actually hypnagogic part here.) I would rather he ditch the indie rock part and focus more on his electronic effects to take them to the next level. Going further with electronic manipulation would easily make his music more unique as he would only further be able to manipulate his sound, go beyond just being pop ditties and be able to storytell with the music. This is taking the aesthetic from just being retro driven to being a more robust musical device that's more than "ay this so retro sounding" or "ay this is slightly off putting but catchy!"

Electronics doesn't just mean playing the same thing you do on a guitar but on a keyboard. It's sound manipulation beyond what an instrument can traditionally do.

how many ariel pink records have you listened to seriously

worn copy literally opens with a 10 minute face melting experimental rock suite
the ballad of bobby pyn is like a lo-fi dream pop krautrock song
he's already done all this and more, he doesn't need to embrace shitty synths, we've already seen that, if you think ariel pink makes generic indie rock you haven't listened to barely any ariel pink

I'll throw my top 20 as well, in alphabetical order to avoid ranking

Beverly Kills
Black Ballerina
Cam't Hear My eyes
Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
Every Night I Die at Miyaigis
Express, Confess, Cover-Up
Feels Like Heaven
Hang on to Life
Interesting Results
Kinski Assassin
Lipstick
Not Enough Violence
Ode to the Goat
Only in My Dreams
Plastic Raincoats in the Pig Parade
Politery Declined
Put Your Number in My Phone
Time to Live
White Freckles
Witchhunt Suite for WWIII

I prefer the newer stuff, as you can see

>tfw Ariel Pink still puts out great music but says he no longer really cares about it and just does it every few years when hes running low on cash now

Attached: 5675.png (204x229, 38K)

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't care, but I'll let him off because he's left a wealth of great music in his wake

fuck you nobody ask yout opinion faggot

>went to cal arts
>extremely jewish family
>running low on cash
'no'

(me)
(some other faggot)
just letting you know

True. His dad is a millionaire and he's in line to inherit it all.

How to get into Ariel Pink? I've heard a couple songs and liked them. Best albums? Should I just start at the beginning and go through all of it?

whoops that was meant for not

Start with Before Today, if you want something more lo-fi go back to his Haunted Graffiti stuff, if you prefer slightly less distorted pop and softer synth fuckery among other ditties, go forward to Ariel Pink

That doesn't mean he has access to it as spending money currently. "low on cash" probably means he wants to do things or buy things that he can't afford at the time, not that he's about to be homeless or something.