So I’m honestly not trying to be a dick or piss anyone off...

So I’m honestly not trying to be a dick or piss anyone off, but could someone explain why this is held in such high acclaim? I get the context in which this was created, and I can understand how that can shift perception, but I just don’t see how it’s “classic” status is deserved. Sure there are some pretty great songs on here, but despite this, I feel as though they are greatly outnumbered by the amount of filler tracks.

It’s my first Coil album, so I’m completely open to the idea that I’m failing to appreciate qualities that a seasoned fan would, so could someone help me out here?

Attached: 0AD297B7-BA45-4668-8D1B-88DC4EAE84E4.jpg (349x355, 22K)

its ok, but fuck me its so fucking gay i find it impossible to listen, not being gay

Yeah it’s obvious enough to the point where I just read the lyrics for Tattoed Man and thought: “Yup this dude is gay”, but I don’t mind desu

>I'm so uncomfortable with my sexuality that I can't listen to music by gay musicians

I'm speaking as an industrial fan who both loves this album and is incredibly frustrated by it
Basically it acts as a farewell to a classic act and its several aestheics. It's like if Bowie's Blackstar had been released layered on top of a recording of his son sobbing.
I don't want to get too pretentious because like you said there are a lot of filler tracks and it really doesn't come across as revolutionary in modern music, but if you've read up on the whole industrial and TG gang output since the 70's every second of that record carries a hell of a lot of weight.

I dunno, it's both a classic and not very enjoyable. Whether you like it or not is completely acceptable.

I DON'T GET IT
I DON'T GET IIIIT

>men can't express love for each other
yeah no fuck you cunt.

because they died

how is it not enjoyable? it has good replayability in my opinion

undoubtedly it does, but if you have no interest in the noise/industrial scene it just sounds like low quality synth presets, which it isn't. It's the sound of a generation dying, ya dig?

>but I don’t mind desu

Your reading comprehension could use some work, user.

honestly can't tell who's arguing against who here

What tracks are "filler" on this album?

>It’s my first Coil album, so I’m completely open to the idea that I’m failing to appreciate qualities that a seasoned fan would, so could someone help me out here?

Listen to Coil's other work, come full circle, and listen to it again.

Can someone please fucking explain to me what these alleged "filler" tracks are, the only track that is even remotely unnecessary is the second but it's not bad

lol no, its like all about asses n shit cmon.
like i cant sing along cuz like assesn shit wtf?
its just not my thing

lol ok, its not about who loves who you dirty munge biter - i just cant sing along to like homo erotic homer, like the "the wine in my ass dark sea" its disruptive

i mean a lot of the material is lifted from live sessions, so maybe that context helps

yeah but its still gay as fuck
at least genesis P had the decency to get cut

>you need to sing along to atmospheric mood music
Are you retarded? And also, everyone has to sing along to music that isn't them, do women not sing songs that are from men's perspective or vice versa? Can you not sing along to The Velvet Underground if you aren't a drug-addicted bum blowing transvestites?

there are no VU songs about drug addicted bums blowing transvestites that go like "i am sucking a gay cock right now"
they're third person stories (never lost her head,etc.) and yes ive had my time with drugs so im right at home
but this shit is gay

You/re a mentally neutered subhuman if you can't relate to the personal stories/experiences of others due to subtle differences in your subjective upbringing and experiences. Ever heard of empathy? You know, that basic human capacity for connecting to other people on an emotional level based on nothing more than the tapping into some collective consciousness? It sounds like you are lacking that. And I pity you, because feeling empathy to the stories of others is the true path to understanding and transcendence through art. Sounds like you just listen to music as a fashion accessory. You are the truest definition of a pleb.

As someone who was a big fan of old school industrial and hates most of the stuff that is industrial in subgenre name only, I was disappointed with Coil after their 80's stuff because they pretty much fully abandoned their roots and since I worked my way through their discography chronologically (like you would with any other artist), I began to put off each subsequent album for fear of further disappointment and I was a fan of the early stuff for years before I got to Naples.

Most albums were pretty good but way overhyped, but when I got to The Ape of Naples, it literally took the first listen for me to understand why it was their most acclaimed album and it only took a few months of repeated listens as I got more and more invested in it that it surpassed their earlier work for me.

It's true that I may be overly influenced by romanticizing the idea of love and death but those themes are so clearly present in the album itself the actual context surely doesn't add that much weight but if it does, I would certainly accept I am a bias listener in this case.

But otherwise, I just can't believe anyone is actually having trouble understanding its appeal. It's just one of the best-sounding albums I've ever listened to and its so brilliantly organized that it really makes for an immersion that gets deeper with each song and leaves you feeling like you've experienced something by the end. Plus it's opener is probably in the Top 50 opening songs of all time.

Fair assessment

Some shit is dumb dude. I’m not who you responded to but I agree that drug songs shouldn’t get too sappy, it’ll ruin everything.

lol you have real problems
im actually ridiculously empathetic, you could nt imagine the things ive made happen in my relationships due to my fucking astounding ability to empathize and nurture.

the shit is just really gay. and i love my gay friends and shit. i dance to deelite, but cmon, this shit is like genetically encoded gay style gay, and im not attracted to it. i get desire. im going to fuck my ex in the ass tomorrow just because.
And NO ONE has to sing along to any thing.

Attached: 1470772198906.png (318x475, 345K)

b-but me wan fug cunt

Attached: 1492403687093.png (778x512, 45K)

does this signify something to you?

keep it music related my man

You go girl!

Because it's Tom Waits without all the Cookie Monster

This + listen to Throbbing Gristle's and Psychic TV's work too

IIIITTTT’SSS IN MY BLOOOOOOOOOOODDDDSSTREEEAAAAMMMM

Fuck Ape of Naples it sucks, listen to Black Antlers, Musick to Play in the Dark Vol 1 and 2, and Time Machines

Attached: R-768860-1310835151.png.jpg (600x600, 38K)

Weren't Coil paedophiles?

No. if you truly believe that you either dont know what pedophile means or dont know the musicians.
but coil sucks

I never needed to know the backstory or to have listened to their past records to enjoy this album. All I know is that the dude fell off a balcony and died.

The reason I like it is the same as with Swans, the music is so unsetteling, so nihilistic, I love the repetition, the lyrics makes you think a lot etc. But it's ok if you don't like it, lol, it's just music. But if you ever feel desperate and hopeless, come back to this album and it will be the perfect soundtrack.

>I get the context in which this was created
what is the contexT?

>can shift perception
perception of the album itself, or your views on life in general?

just listen to current 93 like regular ppl

it's pretty shit
baby's first poseur-core

>the music is so unsettling

Not even a little

tbqh you were pretty slow to not get it from the first line being about loving a man

shows a certain amount of denial

Nah, I just don’t go out on assumptions

tattooed man isn't actually about that in the slightest
i thought so at first but read interviews

Because the cover isn't a guys mouth but a guy kneeling showing his prolapsed butthole

Don't view the "filler" tracks as filler. Coil has made a shit load of stuff on the more ambient and drone side of things.