Watching The Shining

>watching The Shining
>book is about an alcoholic who is driven to insanity by the hotel
>Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance looks insane prior to even arriving at the hotel

Stanley Kubrick made literally one of the worst casting decisions in the history of film-making. What a fucking hack.

I could care less if this good movie distances itself entirely from that pile of shit novel

why don't you watch your containment miniseries

It's almost like the movie has a different message to the novel

couldn't care less about meme-king's novel, the movie was amazing and I somehow doubt the book is as good or as surreal

you're also plainly objectively wrong about Kubrick being a hack

the novel really wasn't a hunk of shit.

>hedge animals coming alive

yeah, real fucking scary.

Yesterday I told some faggot this was the best adaptation of that hack author's work.

Some user tried telling me The Green Mile or Shawshank Redemption was better.

I laughed.

>Stanley Kubrick made literally one of the worst casting decisions in the history of film-making. What a fucking hack.
This is one of most incorrect things you could say on Sup Forums
You are factually and objectively wrong.

Are you implying that movies are a different medium, can exist on their own and can be independent of the source material?

Are you? Cause that's ballsy.

yeah, this movie was unironically the most disappointing horror movie i've ever seen.

>jack nicholson shouting and being insane
>kid and wife being annoying

end of movie

That's an underage opinion if ever seen one. You probably thing the graphics on your xbox are cooler than that "piece of shit sistine chapel painting". Spare us having to read any of your opinions ever again alright.

>those people who tell you the book is better

i fucking hate these people

i brought up ford's masterful movie grapes of wrath and people just memed the book to my face

>I could care less
So you care

nice projecting

Didn't I told you to shut the fuck up? Shut the fuck up.

You can tell someone is a nerd if they read books.

This is the shittiest retort I've ever seen,, what about that indicates that he's underage?

by the way, Nicholson in the shining is one of the most over-acted roles I can think of as far as acclaimed movies go, and if you unironically think the rest of the performances weren't garbage-tier you're deluding yourself.

not everything kubrick does needs to be a masterpiece, this missed the mark but was released at the right time

cringekino

>I'm really picking up the creepy vibe of the hotel XD
>look at how it doesn't make sense geometrically
>look at the indian on the can of food XD

It's his weakest film after 1964, fuck your mom

Don't forget the edgy racism he threw in.

It's not like Stephen King is the best writer in the world, but I have to say Kubrick made a mistake in the way he decided to change the story. Suspense and build-up is one of the better parts of horror, right? King's version had that. The dad had inner demons that he was working on fighting and he gradually was corrupted by the hotel.

Movie character was already crazy, you can tell from literally his first scene. You know what's going to happen when he gets tossed into a cabin with his family. It always just seemed like a confusing thing to change for me.

Would you like to know exactly how much less I could care?

ONE QUARTER PORTION

It's almost like the man going insane and killing his family in the hotel is established at the beginning of the film

>this baity thread

stephen king wrote a made for tv mini series that was faithful to the book
it was 8 hours long, had shit cinematography and was a complete bore
you don't need the slow build up when you rewrite wendy to be a pain in the ass, only married her because jack knocked her up- type of woman

there are two types of stephen king movies,
those with stephen king written screen plays like pet semetary and the stand, which have awful pacing, dialouge, camera work, and audio quality
and movies adapted without king's interference like the shining and the shawshank redemption

king just doesn't understand how to write a scene that people will actually see take place visually
he talks a lot of shit on lovecraft not being able to write dialog, but king can't visually compose a scene

The books are literally always better, user.

>stephen king wrote a made for tv mini series that was faithful to the book

Actually wrote and directed, which explains why it sucks even more.

A lot of King's books have giant tangents in them that really don't help the story and just act as filler for stories that really aren't that long and really aren't that deep. It's why the movies are always better than the books. The movies have practical goals to reach and budgets.

I think Kubrick could've done more to show how the hotel was fucking with Jack's mind.

It seemed like Jack suddenly goes off the edge -- from what little I recall. Been a while since I've watched it.

>when you re-read It and realize that 40% of the pages are short stories disguised as the history of It effecting the town

imagine being married to shelly duval's crazy ass and having a bowl cut hair having asperger boy following you around all day and you can't even go out to get a beer or jerk off in the shower because one of those two retards is constantly seeing ghosts and bees

The movie's biggest problem is that it's boring as sin, not to mention it's a rip off of Burnt Offerings

But he was already insane is the point being made.

Also has anybody ever gotten drunk quicker? He had one drink and his eyes rolled back into his head, and not in a "It begins" kind of way, but in a "Wooo look how drunk I am" kind of way.

Fine film though

Daily reminder that Kubrick made a piece of art out of King's hackery

Being faithful to a fucking stephen king book is not something you should strive for

Jack was really good in this, really reminded me of the joker. imagine if instead of heath ledger theyd gone with a older interpertation of the charahcter

yeah dude, I'm not saying it would have been better if King was involved, just didn't like the way kubrick took it.

Not when it's shit like Stephen King. He basically only writes them so that there can be movies made out of them anyway

>boring as sin, not to mention it's a rip off of Burnt Offerings

>shining is boring

>burnt "the only thing that happens is a kid falls in a pool" offerings isn't

found the 80 year old lady in the thread
everyone watch out for black licorice flavored candies that expired in 1983

they're better tho, no matter how insecurely you try to justify it

>inb4 b-b-b-but muh Kubrick

Stand By Me is better.

steven king is one of those writers you only get in the US, who hammers out crap ASAP to make his dollars

the film is better than the book

Steve King is Harry Potter-tier shit.

>Didn't I told

I heard he originally considered Steve Martin. Can you imagine?

this b8 is too hard to pass up. FUCK YOU OP!

What literary sins does King commit?

I am not well versed in King, but his characters have this tendency to talk aloud to themselves for long periods of time, or they have way too much internal dialogue. Although it just might come with the territory of horror and suspense writing.

never said anything about burnt offerings not being boring, just that shining is boring AND unoriginal
learn how to read

It's not boring though, it's just that you are subhuman trash with ADHD. Enjoy your worthless life

From whatever books I've read the main character is always a fucking writer

I agree OP, however the movie is still a good one. It's good seen as a stand-alone, but it's so radically different from the book. Both are great in different ways but Kubrick definitely didn't understand

t. butthurt cuckbrick fag

is constantly basing characters off of himself a literary sin?
I swear you'd run out of fingers and probably toes if you tried to count every Stephen King story about an author from New England

IT, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, and I'm sure there's more lol that's a good point

always writes the same story. a new young family coming to the neighbourhood and gradualy spoopy things happen

Misery, The Dark Half, pretty much every short story that's not a rip off of Lovecraft

every black man is 80 years old, bald, magical, and always good

every white man between the ages of 16 and 30 are greasers, racists, homophobic murderers that never get caught by the police

everyone and everything gets compared to carnival workers, carnival food, or characters from 1980's tv shows, some novels feel like failed first drafts that were pushed out to sell to sleepy business men to start on a long flight, fall asleep during, then leave on the plane to never finish

he occasionally steals entire concepts of novels from older books

he ran out of good ideas in the 80's but still puts out 4 novels a year

he is a wife beating drug addict who lives in a 100% white community but calls everyone who disagrees with him on anything a racist redneck

11/22/63 as well though the main character is primarily a teacher. Though he isn't a main character, in the dark tower series stephen king himself is a character that the main characters have to save from him getting hit by a van to get him to finish the books faster

He's got a cute dog though~

>every black man is 80 years old, bald, magical, and always good
the magical negro or whatever this is called...definitely guilty of it in The Shining, IT, and The Stand...but I haven't read much of his stuff

>What literary sins does King commit?
did the gangbang ruin IT for anyone else? for some reason that just seemed really out of placehis female characters aren't that great I'd say

it was stupid pointless and gave me an erection

Wow. I can't believe I enjoyed On Writing and thought it was good advice. He explicitly inserted himself into one of his stories like a fanfiction of his almost fatal van accident in 1999? holy bananas.

I can't necessarily agree or disagree...I remember this was a thing in IT and The Shining, but I'll take your word for it.

Yikes

Implying that the vast majority of people who hold this film in high regard are deluded.
So, all of the movie lovers, film critics, and directors who are inspired by this movie are all wrong, and this movie sucks because some random guy on Sup Forums said so? oh, ok.

thats the most autistic picture ive seen all day xD

I fucking hate Stephen King.

>Wow. I can't believe I enjoyed On Writing and thought it was good advice. He explicitly inserted himself into one of his stories like a fanfiction of his almost fatal van accident in 1999? holy bananas.

cocaine is a hell of a drug

Stephen King is the one who's a hack

You didn't watch the movie, just saw the trailers or clips. Nicholson looks totally damn normal till probably half way through the film at which he does a great job looking crazy.

And just so you don't taint me as biased, I didn't even like the movie too much.

Nah, too many outliers. He writes so much.
If you can name 10 books that do that, does it matter that he has 190 that don't?

That's not even a sin.

Hm, some stories are way too drawn out.

Honestly, he's alot better than I thought. When I was young, I thought he wrote shitty books and was no talent. When I hit 22/23, I start reading some because of friends and found I liked many. I might not have read his worst but still

Remember:
Shawshank redemption
The Walk
pet semetary
Carrie
Stand By me
11/23/63
and so many others have no writers.
As for spooky, Pet Semetary is the only.

>IT
How is Mike any different from the rest of the Losers? Because he stayed behind as a librarian? Big deal.

>Wow. I can't believe I enjoyed On Writing and thought it was good advice. He explicitly inserted himself into one of his stories like a fanfiction of his almost fatal van accident in 1999? holy bananas.
Why not? He's a decent writer overall and I enjoyed On Writing too. It's all about how you do it. I don't even think the King inserts are bad usually.

>used an ax instead of a mallet
>Wife was not hot like in the book
>no hedge monsters
>Bathroom scene ruined
>Place did not blow up
>jack froze too death?
>drank whisky instead of gin at the bar
>black guy died rather than being the hero
A lot of stuff was off but i did enjoy the scene when he follows her up the stairs mocking her and then saying he is going too bash her brains in