Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mtlklmna0
goodreads.com/book/show/837899.There_and_Back_Again
youtube.com/watch?v=YaYy6NpV3Tk
youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMDwc4azU
youtube.com/watch?v=cvCktPUwkW0
youtube.com/watch?v=uuUEqTKn5Ho
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly don't know. I'm not even a fan of the books or the genre but these movies are fucking fun. They never get old. I mean look at this shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mtlklmna0

Flawless.

>movies
>fun

Because of Viggo Mortensen. Anyone else as Aragorn would have destroyed the entire film.

Also they're movies made with pure love and respect for the subject matter. That's why The Hobbit was shit, because Jackson didn't want anything to do with them and literally got forced into it.

They aren't but they pretty good

they aren't the hobbit is better. watching these 2 hobbits crying for 3h. im good.

Lots of love and pre-production.

This, also hitting the sweet spot in CGI development. Where it was developed enough to create the impossible, but not developed enough to start replacing everything.

10/10 actors.

No diversity quotas

>Where it was developed enough to create the impossible, but not developed enough to start replacing everything.
How do you mean?

Reminder that Sauron>>>>>>>> Morgoth

Are you retarded? Morgoth literally created evil.

Theatrical or Extended cuts?

Saw the movies in theaters and loved them, but Fellowship and RotK trip over their length (and the added scenes ruin the tension at certain moments) on dvd.

I would say it more about getting the right balance between cgi, sets and miniatures. LotR got it perfect whereas the Hobbit was a cgi mess.

The Valar had to personally step in to stop Morgoth from destroying Middle Earth. Elves, Men and Dwarves got butch slapped into submission from him

Extended cuts always for fans of the series. RotK is the only I think adds too many "meh" scenes.

*bitch

They are average. The new ones just turned out to be shit.

>Why are they so perfect?

Autism and nostalgia driven circlejerks.

TTT > Return > Fellowship

they spent a shit load of time working on practical effects

No niggers

>t. ironically detached 2cool4school millenials

This is correct.

Uruk-Hai

>Mom! they STILL won't like what I like!

that doesn't stop the fact that you are a contrarian jaded asshole that needs to fuck off

FOTR>TT>ROTK

Theatrical for first time watch.

Extended for all other viewings.

Why didn't Gondor just let in all the peaceful Orc and Haradrim refugees?

Was Tolkien a racist?

>tfw the only job of the guy in the back is to stare at Legolas' perky ass

KRTOK > BOTR > TBREK

>Gandalf the White
>letting orcs and haradrim refugees inside the WHITE keep
halfling pls

Echoes of future Hackson pop up in each film, especially Return, but all in all they're pretty great.

Except for large parts of Return. Dat Hackson.

>"...and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues."

You tell me.

Absolutely perfect casting, incredible soundtrack, perfect blend of CGI and practical effects, and it was made by people who actually cared about and loved the source material, which is great (having actually good source material will bring you 50% of the way there when it comes to making good film adaptations).

>Why are they so perfect?

Great source material
4 Years of pre-production
Large proportion of the entire production team were genuine fans, notable the director and writers
Goat CGI for the time, still hold up now
Perfect blend of real sets, miniatures and CGI
Attention to detail in almost every aspect
Amazing score, literally John Williams tier
Great cast

Also.......

Weta fucking Workshop
>Made 48,000 pieces of armour
>Forged real spring steel "hero" swords for close-ups, aluminium fight swords and rubber versions for stunts
>Created 10,000 real arrows and 500 bows
>1800 Orc body suits to go with 10,000 Orc heads
>1800 pairs of hobbit feet
>40 seamstresses worked on over 19,000 costumes. Due to the large shooting schedule, 10 versions of each costume would have to be made, and then 30 more for stunt, scale and other doubles, all in all meaning each design would have 40 versions

If you watch the appendices for the LOTR dvd on youtube you will see how much love the production crew had for these movies, i know its cliche but it definitely showed in the finished product. There is one guy who was ecstatic that he got to make chain mail for 15 months non stop just by connecting plastic rings one by one to get the perfect balance of aesthetics and practicability.

Viggo was literally god tier casting. He brought the age and maturity an 87 year old ranger would have, plus he wore the weight of being heir and his futile love for Arwen.

I'm still triggered with The Hobbit.

Thanks God they made The Lord of The Rings early.

>tfw the boys are still tight bros

This was taken yesterday

>the most important hobbit isn't there
the ring got destroyed because of and only because of sam.

Oh fuck that looks so comfy.
>you'll never have a pint in a cozy pub with Legolas, Aragorn, Frodo, Pippin and Merry.

He was much older than everyone in that pic.

The first one was perfect. The second one was decent. The third one was shit.
>most anticlimactic ending in cinema history

Yes, I read the books. Return of the King was not as good of a book either.

>the most important hobbit isn't there
Sméagol?
>the ring got destroyed because of and only because of sam.
So Sméagol again

He's probably in the kitchen gorging on freshly mashed Po-tay-toes

The behind the scenes parts on the extended edition DVDs are so fucking comfy.

Image from last week's Hobbit reunion.

Extended every time, no exceptions.

OH MAN YOU'RE SO FUNNNNYYY
XXXXXXXD

Holy fuck thats given me some unexpected nostaglia feels

Kek

FOH. Fingolfin v Morgoth is greatest showdown of all time.

>In the books Tolkien spent almost two pages to explain why the flowers are white

sam isn't friends with them any more i think, he kind of fucked up when he wrote that book

What book was this?

Tell us what he wrote in the book

still not brought myself to watch hobbit 2 and 3
Why the fuck they cast that prick as bilbo is beyond me, there was no love for these films as far as I can see.

"I was the best thing in Lord of the Rings and the rest of the cast should eat shit and die" - by Sean Astin

goodreads.com/book/show/837899.There_and_Back_Again

If it was called 'Thorin: A Dwarf's Tale' I could have enjoyed it more. Just make it entirely about him without any pretense of having Bilbo in it so they didn't need to worry about trying to shoehorn him in. Also whoever made the decision to turn it into a trilogy needs to be banned from the industry.

What's really annoying is that almost any scene with Bilbo in is very watchable, If they'd just stuck with him and, maybe, shown the White Council and a bit of Gandalf's rescue it'd have been fine.

Oh my. I had no idea this book existed. I really liked Sean as Samwise in the films, he felt very understated and yet had a large presence due to it. Shame he's a nob.

Fellowship>TTT=ROTK

Honestly though, after recent rewatch TTT and ROTK are not that great 2bh. Good, but not great.

fuck your capeshit

Anyone who wants to watch a more or less faithful version of the Hobbit should watch the maple films edit. Turns the trilogy into a 8/10 4hrs movie

Whenever I need some distance to my real world problems, I just on the trilogy and just disappear into Middle Earth for 10 hours.

He was a very good Bilbo, the problem is that he is barely in the last two movies.

yeah best of the bunch I guess
bilbo is actually the main character in this one

Who was hotter, Thorin or Legolas?

I wish they would adapt the Downfall of Númenor but with the LOTR style not like The Hobbit.

Aragorn

I did this with the books before the movies came out. Didn't think anyone could match the feel on the big screen, but boy was I wrong. I still like to do both though.

Silmarillion HBO series when?

kek what a delusional faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=YaYy6NpV3Tk

gimli

>mfw I watched the fan edit of the hobbit and it was good enough
>mfw all jackson had to do was to cut the retarded scenes off and let bilbo be the main character

I saw all 3 in the theaters
I'm watching the extended now for the 1st time
I just started rotk last night
Going to finish tonight

So far I love the added scenes

State of Merry's shoes

absolutely based

The difference between the two sets is that LotR was filmed with the 'extras' as integral parts of the movie and Jackson had to reluctantly edit them out for theaters.
With The Hobbit he had to add junk to an existing two movie screenplay to artificially pad out the running time to get three movies so Warners could milk the franchise.

The fuck is Orlando Bloom even doing these days?

Banging Katy Perry

Hes this generations Brendan fraser

Getting paid gorrillions for Pirates 5 whilst fucking Katy Perry

wtf? the poster for two towers had gandalf on it? isn't that a huge fucking spoiler?

He was in the trailer too, the marketing team gave no fucks

youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMDwc4azU

>spoiler for a 50 year old book
I'm pretty sure the most people didn't mind.

>Play trailer
>That music starts

I just got some fucking nostalgia feels all over me

Implying most people read books.

The first trailers spoiled Gandalf's return from the start.
youtube.com/watch?v=cvCktPUwkW0

Gandalf is a very marketable character, he had second billing and everyone already knew that McKellan was working in the other two movies. Not to mention that the movies are based on 50 year old books that already tell what is going to happen.

It was either work their asses off and lie to keep Gandalf's return a secret or just say that he does return right away and still make an entertaining movie.

>tfw I can remember watching this trailer online through the LOTR website because Youtube had yet to be invented

Fuck

It's swordshit, not capeshit.

Still shit though.

>Keep it secret
The books have been in the top best sellers list for decades and there was a two year gap between the first movie and the second, everyone already knew.

It would be like doing a Jesus Christ origin trilogy and thinking there was a reason to keep his resurrection a secret

Hopefully in the great times ahead of us during the Trump Presidency, it will be acceptable to have a movie about two nations of white men uniting to defeat the nigger monsters and "people of the east"

no shitty cgi, music

based legobro

>a two year gap between the first movie and the second,
It was a one year gap

youtube.com/watch?v=uuUEqTKn5Ho