Is collecting shit in FLAC worth while? Storage wise...

Is collecting shit in FLAC worth while? Storage wise, with current storage costs keeping FLAC quality CD recordings seems pretty reasonable cost wise. It's a pain to get FLAC though, you either have to buy the CD and rip it or search up torrent sites and hope they have what you want.

Attached: 1521750963926.png (226x193, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mp3 320kbps sounds great for me

Attached: 6fb84ef90d8e7b2d165cf2a764d09177fc3eb8304f292d2c6fca7ebe97fdb849.jpg (356x379, 21K)

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions in the music community regarding the differences between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC format. It is true that 320kbps is technically as good as FLAC, but there are other reasons to get music in a lossless format.

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

I love this pasta

Buy the record you lezy cunt.

Unless you have really high-end headphones FLAC and mp3 320 sounds pretty much the same, or at least to me it does.

>tfw I stored my MP3s in a damp place
>now sound all wet and gargly

Take this man’s advice lads.

as someone who used to only listen to flac and wav files its retarded
just stream your shit

i stored all my mp3s in a damp place and after playing a couple albums i noticed mold and mildew on the inside of my headphones

take care of ur music files everyone

>320
v0 or go home

Attached: New-Sony-Walkman-NW-WM1Z[1].jpg (700x480, 31K)

>TFW you almost fell for the meme but didn't

Attached: ok kid.jpg (431x450, 43K)

>he doesnt store his music files in barrels so they ferment and appreciate in value and sound quality over the years
its like you dont even LIKE music

It is indeed possible for a human being to tell the difference between the two formats. It's a matter of who's the listener. For instance, should you give 50 average people (randomly picked up on the street) to listen to the the same music file (without telling them the purpose and the difference), how many of them will say that file number 1 is better, how many will say that number 2 is better, and how many will say that there's no difference? The average consumer won't even care which file he listens to, what he wants is to listen to that lousy shit called cRap they dare call music at minimal cost of expenses and size. Then there's my kind. I, like few that can be found today, am an audiophile as well as a musician with a perfect hearing. Thus, I require the highest quality.

Coincidentally, I own a X5 media player (Cowon, IAudio -- 20GB bought it for 1800NIS, approx. 450$ at the time, 2 years ago -- dully note that its cost was approx. 200$ in the states at the time), and recently (4 months ago) bought Shure's E2C (For 550NIS, roughly 150$ dully note that this is more than twice its cost in the states. Even though I wanted the SE500 -- but couldn't afford it. I'm underage, can't work without being exploited.), the X5 surprisingly supported FLAC after I installed Rockbox (a year and a half ago), and since then only been using it). I listen only to FLAC unless the music I want to listen to just so happens to be unavailable to me in such a lovely format, so am compelled to use MP3, and am saddened by this but can't complain.

Unlike the average person I therefore notice those little details so many fail to. And the major difference is: I appreciate those little sounds. Usually people upload Mp3s which sucks. I firstly look for FLAC, followed by APE, WMA (etc.), and when I lose all hope I turn to MP3. Luckily though, lately FLAC has been gaining incredible popularity.

Collectors will pay upwards of $300 a barrel for fermented Beatles. This shit is worth more than oil.

>Unless you have really high-end headphones FLAC and mp3 320 sounds pretty much the same
i hate this misconception
you don't need super good and expensive equipment, just good enough. even something like 30 dollar computer speakers should be good enough.
either way if you care enough about sound quality to consider flac, chances are you have some good speakers/headphones already, and i would say you should use flac to get the proper use out of that equipment.

it's also good from a preservation standpoint, if you care about that

Listen and figure it out for your fucking self. Jesus.

I Guarantee you can't tell the difference between properly encoded LAME MP3 and FLAC and neither can anyone else on this board, expensive equipment or not.

abx.digitalfeed.net/list.html

I like keeping in flacs because in time when a better audio codec eventually dominates the landscape i can't convert to it easily for whatever device im using.

Opus is a good example of that.

Attached: 1520358878313.webm (284x240, 138K)

>"either have to buy the CD and rip it or search up torrent sites"
>psst... wanna have some free flacs?

Attached: soulseek ever heard of it nigga.png (630x400, 233K)

>I firstly look for FLAC, followed by APE, WMA (etc.), and when I lose all hope I turn to MP3
wma is lossy. ape, flac, shn, wav are lossless