Any of you guys got this book?

any of you guys got this book?
thoughts on it?

Attached: 511H1DpISvL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (381x499, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/rtfm/1001_albums_you_must_hear_before_you_die___chronological/1/
youtu.be/ggyC0FOzqHM
youtu.be/fiRPBCiJg2c
youtube.com/watch?v=sNbGxOccYWc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, what's the 10 last ones.

i know that at one point it had 50 cent album in there. i'm never gonna buy it

Got the updated version a few months ago. It's an interesting read. They're not ranked in order, they're ranked chronologically, so there isn't a "top ten/last ten" to speak of.

It's not bad from a cultural perspective, and a lot of the works in there are just critics' favorites but take the book with a pinch of salt and you'll find a decent chronology of pop music in there.

Personally I think it's fantastic, it's not just the obvious stuff, lots of hidden gems
If you go on Soulseek and search '1000 albums' you can find people who have a folder of all the albums to download

Soy garbage

It's pretty bad because it includes some straight up garbage just because it was popular, it's a little too uninterested in making sure it recommends albums people will feel better for having listened to

A friend of mine had it. It's not terrible, but it's about as bland and uninsightful as you'd expect. Not a single noise album in the book, by the way. Regardless of how you feel about noise, everyone who cares about music should hear Pulse Demon at least once.

>everyone who cares about music should hear Pulse Demon at least once.

I hate this board

please appreciate that this is a book for, and by normies, you won't find crazy japanese vegans blasting you with static for an hour - it's just not practical

>5 Bruce Springsteen albums
>4 U2 albums
>3 Blur albums (WTF??)
>3 Dexy's Midnight Runners albums (double WTF??)
>3 Wilco albums

>this book is by and for normies, so the usual critiques of plebs who don't know anything about music shouldn't apply!
OP asked for thoughts on this book, I told him it was fine but not noteworthy for anyone other than normies, are you retarded or something?

Attached: 1506041769435.jpg (250x241, 7K)

Nah you're just an autistic harsh noise fan who thinks the genre has anything of interest to anyone outside a circle of skinny, leather-clad weeaboo permavirgins.
To say you need to have heard even 1 (one) harsh noise album to care about music is ridiculous

and I don't even dislike harsh noise

If you want to claim to know anything about music, you should listen to at least one harsh noise album all the way through. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to say. It's an entire genre, and an extremely unique one. If you don't experience it at least once, then you can't possibly comment on its importance or lack thereof.

i bet you haven't listened to a full album from every genre

>implying YHF and Being There aren't at least worth a listen
What was the third one though?

Name a genre.

Summer Teeth?

this should be fun

rateyourmusic.com/list/rtfm/1001_albums_you_must_hear_before_you_die___chronological/1/
Is it the same list?

>3 blur albums
if its not s/t, 13 and Parklife, then it can fuck off

Synthwave Folk

Your in the right here harsh-noise user but have you tried these abominations?

Attached: IMG_20180328_191809.jpg (273x202, 13K)

>name a genre so i can lie and say i've listened to it
i'll bite though because i have nothing better to do
>aggrotech
>afrobeat
>future funk
>goa trance
>k-pop
>j-pop
>psychobilly
these are some basics i assume you've listened to at least one full album of?

His point is that harsh noise is actually an important genre. Those things on the other hand are memes (and even a fair amount of normies has listened to some j and K-pop albums)

post Chap Hop and Pirate Metal links please

unfortunately...
Yes I have
Danger music is barely a genre though, any genre can be danger music if you perform it a certain way
You don't have to be a noise musician to drive an excavator into a concert hall, yknow?

what do you take me for, user, this is baby shit
to be fair, though, for jpop and kpop, I've listened to an album's worth of assorted tracks, not specific albums

Does Clear Moon count as synth folk
if it doesn't pls post some

youtu.be/ggyC0FOzqHM everything by alestorm

youtu.be/fiRPBCiJg2c I want to punch this chap

If you want to claim to know anything about music, you should listen to at least one k-pop album all the way through

Gonna have to disagree. Certainly an album's worth of kpop, but unlike noise, the songs are not constructed as long-form art pieces. The songs are meant to be consumed individually, the order or length of time you consume them in does not affect your understanding.

>Just Like A Chap
I really wish this was the first I'd heard of this

Okay I'm satisfied. No further questions

Imagine someone driving construction machines into the audience of a Beyonce concert

zydeco
soukous
gamelan
enka
qawwali
fado
zouk

how do you fare on these? or are you too anglo-centric?

user I performed in a gamelan ensemble
While I'm not familiar with some of those genres, I'd still say everyone should listen to them. Since they're so local, their importance isn't applicable to all of music worldwide, but there's certainly plenty of reason to listen to them.
If you're not too pretentious, do post some albums you like, I'm interested.

cowwave

>user I performed in a gamelan ensemble
that's bretty cool user, what do you play?
>If you're not too pretentious, do post some albums you like, I'm interested.
honeslty i cant say im overly familiar with them all, i was just trying to refute your implication that you'd listened to every genre of music

youtube.com/watch?v=sNbGxOccYWc

I played a bit of everything except kendang and rebab
Slenthem or saron are the most fun, if you ask me
Ensemble leader was a cool dude and let us experiment with the instruments outside of class, bowing the keys on a gender makes some really cool sounds
I wasn't in it terribly long but it's still going on, might re-join if I'm not too busy next semester

it has Kid Rock in it. that's pretty much all you need to know

its actually modern life is rubbish instead of 13

name your favourite albums from the following genres
post avant jazzcore
progressive dreamfunk
brutal prog

I've seen the song version.
It's pretty trash imo. Basically just a list of 1001 popular songs through the years. Your average person will have heard of 80-90% of post-1960 songs on the list, so I really don't understand who the book is for.

Fake genre but the closest thing:
>John Zorn - Naked City

Never really enjoyed PDF

And for brutal prog, Gyatso is unironically my AOTY for 1994, come on user

Damn, you got me listening to Gyatso again, good shit

Attached: Screenshot (97).png (1920x1038, 2.16M)

>oh look! i found a shitty sub-sub-genre. i bet he hasnt listened to this!
noise isnt even a subgenre. its a whole genre, with a shitton of subgenres too, but we are only talking about the GENRE as a whole. you can say shit like brutal prog, but thats just prog.

what are you hidin' there?

:^)

out of interest, can you post your chart/top 10/a few of your favourite albums?

i'm sure it would be a pretty interesting pick

Sure gimme a minute

will you shut the fuck up?

w-what's under that white box user?

my guess is 6ix9ine

:^)

why are you embarresed user? its obvious from the screenshot that you're a pleb anyway

POP THESE NIGGAS LIKE A WHEELIE NIGGA, YOU A SILLY NIGGA

Here's a lil 5x5. Some recent, some long time favorites.

Honestly I don't care I just didn't want to start a shitstorm.

Attached: topsters2.jpg (1523x1432, 9K)

damn topsters didn't render, here

Attached: Screenshot (98).png (1479x782, 1.21M)

>I just didn't want to start a shitstorm.
why not user? come on at least we will get this thread a little alive

This thread's more alive than most of Sup Forums at the moment, the last thing we need is another 6ix9ine shitfest

>No Death Grips
>soy

into the trash it goes.

Alestorm rock though

>you won't find crazy japanese vegans blasting you with static for an hour

The way you phrased that made it sound way funnier than it should

Attached: 1521914544112.jpg (540x304, 9K)

Do people not like Shmilco?