Why are people so ignorant when it comes to Emo...

Why are people so ignorant when it comes to Emo? How much has the genre been so distorted that barely anyone knows what the true genre is?

>INB4 PHONEPOSTING
No one cares.

Attached: Screenshot_20180328-101815.png (1080x1920, 500K)

Bump, saving the thread.

>MCR is better than any other emo band
o i am laffin

It gets worse.

Attached: Comb28032018105229.jpg (1080x960, 246K)

It comes from fanboys claiming that their band is undeniably best because they blew through their whole discography in a week.

It's like when you thought House of Cards was the greatest thing to ever grace your TV or laptop screen, until you rewatch Breaking Bad a month later and remember why you're wrong

fucking disgusting

Attached: 1467084066962.jpg (1300x867, 116K)

>L Cook
>G Cook
are they the same person?

Attached: 1323123516269.jpg (600x600, 51K)

>arguing in youtube comments

Yep. She couldn't at least find a better band to do that to, though? Why MCR? Why not American Football (who got #6 if I recall) or Brand New? Why them?

Oh, and
Here's a gift.

Attached: Comb28032018111249.jpg (1080x960, 265K)

No different than arguing here.

that last comment killed me a little

Attached: 1521685393667s.jpg (125x95, 2K)

not all emo is midwest emo. It's the gay shit too

>Black Veil Brides, Fall Out Boy, or Panic! At The Disco

Attached: 1521836676849.jpg (600x379, 74K)

sometimes, a term is so vividly descriptive it actually forces reality to conform to itself instead of the other way around. "emo" did indeed once refer to emotional hardcore, but the ideal of pure losercore that the term "emo" evoked in the unwashed masses was too powerful not to form such a genre around itself.

besides, usage is descriptive, so unfortunately emo means what it means to the majority, not to a few dozen grouchy rites of spring stalwarts

That's why we need the Emo Council back again.

Attached: Screenshot_20171005-222446.png (1080x1920, 327K)

when the least horrible person in a comment is the one with the twenty one pilots avatar you know its bad

Ironic, you'd think he'd be the one saying this.

Because we finally reached peak trap and everything sounds like shit!!!

Attached: photopeak.jpg (512x512, 57K)

Yuck.

>Dude, leave her alone. It's just an opinion [...] YOU'RE the one who should get some taste

i think the girl called her bf to help her bully the guy into liking mcr

breaking bad is only that good on first watch though

That comment section is a goldmine of cringe. I saw comments calling Evanescence, The Cure and even fucking Twenty One Pilot emo.

Attached: 21104147_1516592042183.png (600x600, 68K)

Based frogposter, knowing how idiotic people are when it comes to Emo.

One more bump

>Twenty One Pilot
Thank Hot Topic for that. I miss when they used to actually stick to metal and alt rock and had cool Iwrestledabearonce shirts and shit. Now it's all Arctic Monkeys and Twenty One Pilots and Paramore

DESU, Iwrestledabearonce isn't a step up. Any metalcore not Converge or The Dillenger Escape Plan is bound to suck.

That sites says that Brand New is emo

They are Emo, though. In what way are they not? They mixed Post-Hardcore and Indie Rock together along with highly emotional lyrics and scenarios.

You CLEARLY haven't heard Every Time I Die

Oh, yeah, I forgot them, too.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't emo.

>barely anyone knows what the true genre is
>thinks american football is emo

Attached: 1515522714806.png (691x663, 104K)

They didn't even mention American Football in the pictures. Are you talking about the video?

Because bands like MCR and Taking Back Sunday have made lazy emo-pop music and gained mass popularity, permanently associating the genre with sounds that are similar to theirs.

What on Earth indicates to these people that fallout boy, panic at the disco, and black veil brides are emo? Where did this come from?

I guess. It's so saddening to see how Sunny Day Real Estate and American Football never reached the commercial success of those bands. Diary alone is much better than anything MCR and Fall Out Boy ever made.

Just blame Hot Topic for capitalizing on any underground/alternative music.

Attached: Comb28032018081710.jpg (1620x960, 421K)

Phone posted

Get fucked haha

Attached: image.jpg (1331x2048, 378K)

Notice how even on the final paragraph it still didn't consider MCR, Fall Out Boy or Panic! At The Disco as emo.

Attached: download.png (500x409, 107K)

best emo albumever released

Attached: download.jpg (500x500, 36K)

Stop picking on girls for liking mcr virgin

they removed it from spotify stupid dumbasses

In the 2000s, the word was associated with bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco who were basically pop punk with more makeup. That is what people think of as "emo" unless you're a music nerd.

is this the emo thread

Attached: Seven Inches To Wall Drug 1.jpg (350x350, 31K)

I even saw people calling Green Day emo circa American Idiot, which to be fair, they were deliberating courting the MCR crowd at the time.

Excellent album.

Not the best, but still a worthwhile listen. That Gary copypasta, though, comical!

But user, Sunny Day Real Estate is a much better band for women.

Exactly, and that's why we need to educate them more so true emo bands never get lost in obscurity.

I guess now it is! :)

But American Idiot mainly focused on politics and the inner conflicts with your own morals and society. If anything, it was more like a poppier Zen Arcade.

Screamo is even worse considering now it's just slang for "metal guy who shouts or schreeches".

Yep. It must have been hard in the early 2000s when you were in high school, and you listened to Mineral, The Promise Ring and American Football, and people bullied the hell out of you just because you were different.

I fucking love Emo, from DC Hardcore to the twinkly midwest shit nowadays. And I still include MCR and FoB in that list. They defined a sound in Emo, and a subculture.

For prehistoric emo fans like me, it's hard to associate yourself with the name "emo", because people think it means eyeliner and cutting.

But you'd be lying to yourself if you don't at least consider MCR to be a defining band in their specific subgenre of Emo

The only sad part is that it's pretty much impossible to bridge the gap between MCR/FoB "Emo" with "real emo." Nobody into those bands has ever been able to get into stuff like Mineral or Moss Icon. Nobody.

Attached: tfw emo.png (500x513, 197K)

tfw they were playing in the basement of a bar I was at but my gf didn't want to go in and thought I was trying to make a joke every time I mentioned going in
>they're so angry

The OP mentioned american football and implied that they are emo. They are indie/math rock.

>American Football is not emo

Attached: 1371499751981.png (500x375, 192K)

Emo, as a genre, truly relies on emotional maturity and sophistication; it releases emotions in an honest, cathartic and sincere manner, without delving into a whimsical fantasy like a child, or sophomoric angst with little to no self awareness. The thing about MCR and Fall Out Boy was that they reveled in juvenilia. It pandered to teens with first-world issues instead of actual people with true emotional conflicts. As such, they each ruined the genre and brought forth the stereotypes that most people associate with Emo today. They were the Glam bands of the genre, harboring hoards of people unfamiliar with the genre and butchering its original purpose: to invite humanistic ideas and thoughts via the epicness of Punk. That's why I made the true Emo Triforce. Taken from the Legend of Zelda, it represents the Triforce of Power (Din), Triforce of Wisdom (Nayru), and the Triforce of Courage (Farore), with the most acclaimed Emo albums. These are the aspects most true Emo bands, from the DC Emotional scene to Twinkly Emo follow. Here's an example.
Diary - Emotional Power
Americ anFootball - Emotional Wisdom
Clarity - Emotional Courage
The Devil and God - All three aspects of the Triforce.

Attached: Screenshot_20180107-165958.png (912x771, 365K)

please, let's not have this argument again.
no, there isn't much direct punk influence to their sound. math rock has it's origins in post-hardcore (much like og emocore itself) and mike kinsella had a long (incredibly influential) history with the scene. the subject matter is very in line with a lot of midwest shit (inb4 real emo is skramz & emocore copypasta). it's close enough even if it isn't necessarily representative of the genre as a whole.

I was the OP, but I was referring to my YouTube comment, because I only mentioned Screamo bands in the picture. I did mention American Football, but in terms of the actual list in the video (The Top 10 Best Emo Bands). And yes, they are Emo; they were the band that took the melancholy of Post-Hardcore tinged Emo and fused it into more Math Rock/Post-Rock sensibities.

Attached: Comb28032018100402.jpg (1080x960, 235K)

>Why are people so ignorant when it comes to Emo? How much has the genre been so distorted that barely anyone knows what the true genre is?
Honestly, I think "goth" is worse. People always think of fucking Marilyn Manson and Evanesence when I say that I like goth music.

That picture sums up the genre so well.
Also Clarity is underrated.

This is completely ignoring screamo though

This looks like a soyboy indiefag not an emo kid

Orchid, Pg. 99 and Saetia fit the Screamo Triforce.

OP here, going to bed. Keep the thread warm, please.

>thinking MCR is not emo
Genres change and evolve, fucking deal with it. Its like the cunts that scream only 1979-1985 songs released on Industrial Records are industrial and everything else is "fake".

t. Pale Waves fan

Yes, it has evolved. True emo in the 2000s developed underground, combining elements of Post-Hardcore tinged Emo with other genres such as Math Rock, Post-Rock, Lo-Fi Indie, Slowcore, Experimental Rock, and Art Rock. While Emo-tinged Pop Punk went mainstream, true Emo, as in Post-Hardcore/Hardcore Punk/Screamo evolved to other non-mainstream genres. Gospel, Saetia, Daitro and City of Caterpillar merged their Screamo origins with Post-Rock and Progressive Rock, utilizing more abstract song structures and time signatures. Many Emo Revival bands not only revived that Post-Hardcore and Midwest Emo sound of the late 80s and early 90s, but took influences from other genres as well. MCR and Fall Out Boy became poppier and more generic after their early works, failing to evolve the genre into anything new or original.