Anyone else really disappointed with this flick...

Anyone else really disappointed with this flick? The special effects were corny and stood out in an otherwise great looking film. Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner didn't have much chemistry, and for a movie essentially about them getting together and their daughter dying, their romance is barely developed.

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0442268/
soundcloud.com/kanyewest/say-you-will
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>for a movie essentially about them getting together and their daughter dying,

That's not what the movie was about

Then what is it about ?

the special effects were pretty great desu senpai

>The special effects were corny and stood out

Are you sure you saw the right film?

Arrival is basically "non-linear storytelling: the story".
The movie begins and ends with her talking about her daughter, and her daughter is brought up throughout the middle of the movie.
The short story it's based on is named "The Story of Your Life", it's about Dr. Banks deciding to have a cancer child.

The aliens don't matter.

I mean specifically when she went in the spaceship by herself and was talking to Costello, it looked hideous.

no, not really

That's one scene, you can't call the effects bad or corny based on one scene.

TFA had that atrocious looking Maz character, but the movie still has superb visual effects overall.

It took me out of the movie, I know Villeneuve could've made that scene look much better.

Well it's the only scene in the movie where full green screen is used so it might look a bit jarring compared to the rest of the movie.

explains a lot, it wasn't even the mist or Costello that looked bad, it was just Amy Adams in there that did.

"What if the first Terminator movie had non-linear storytelling and leads with no chemistry?"

Arrival (2016).

Jeremy Renner doesn't have chemistry with anyone

Where the aliens angels come to restore what was taken in Babel?

Cuz this movie sucked if not.

>Where the aliens angels come to restore what was taken in Babel?
No? Villeneuve had nothing to do with Babel.

There's a Japanese movie called "Be With You" with a similar premise. In my opinion it was very well executed.

Not diverse enough

Is it recent? I want to check it out.

>super advanced aliens
>communicate in metaphor and smoke circles like fucking Apaches

Took me right out of the movie

Bretty gud movie imo, except for the ending.
Then again there was no way they could have ended the movie satisfactorily after building it up so strongly from the beginning to the middle. It needed to have some revelation, and what we got while so-so was at least some kind of revelation.

Only two details took me out of the movie:
1) The army radicals blowing up the aliens. This would NEVER happen.

2) China and Russia breaking off relations with the aliens and threatening military action. Again this would never happen. To do so would be to fold their hand, giving US an advantage something they would never do. China at least would keep working the problem. The idea that they wouldn't share their findings with NATO is believable though.

The ending is too vague as well. So understanding the alien language changes the way people perceive time, allowing them to essentially experience their entire life contemporaneously, and this is the 'weapon' or 'gift' given by the aliens. How does this relate to the 1 in 12 parts message given by the aliens? And by the end, is Louise the only one who has said gift? Is everyone she teaches the language to able to perceive time concurrently as she does? Isn't that going to make the world a huge clusterfuck? Why aren't there hundreds of people attending her lectures? Assuming the 'time is cyclical' motif we are to assume that everything happened the way it did because that is the way it has to happen, but then what about the future? Surely it's going to be changed forever. I have a hard time believing the US will be willing share any secrets garnered by Louise with any other country, even though the intended goal of the aliens seem to be to force the countries to work together and unite? etc.

It's from 2004 but in my opinion it doesn't have a dated feel. It's one of my favorite movies.

imdb.com/title/tt0442268/

Natives are the superior race.

I was really confused when that song with the mummering voices started playing because I immediately thought of this.

soundcloud.com/kanyewest/say-you-will

thank you, user.

no

no?

no

>The army radicals blowing up the aliens. This would NEVER happen.
Why not?

on

>disappointed with a mommy movie

It is a pretty retarded thing to do.

It would have liked more scifi elements instead of emotional masturbation. You could see the le epic twist when Louise tells the daughter to call her father because he's a scientist.

Also the rogue soldiers, bomb and communication blackouts between countries was stupid and unrealistic way of creating drama and tension. Just like a timer on cooking shows.

Then ending was trying to be oh so emotional even though you could see coming from miles away. It was almost as bad as Nolan's "love transcends through time and space". The implications of learning the universal language and how else Louise could use her seeing abilites were left untouched.

That's the american army for you.

I think the army is pretty disciplined.
Attacking a an incredibly advanced alien spaceship with some basic c4 is such an obviously terrible idea even a dumb soldier who watches alex jones should be able to figure out otherwise.
Luckily it was a pretty minor plot point so it was easy to look past.

I won't argue that the "alex jones" type broadcasters radicalizing americans was a little on the nose.

I agree completely, but how were the rogue soldiers, bomb, and communication blackouts unrealistic?

8/10, imo
Villeneuve's best after Enemy and Incendies

Solid 7.5/10

I liked it.

The part where Louis is dreaming and then there's an alien in her room was so reminiscent of the spider scene from Enemy.

>The part where Louis is dreaming and then there's an alien in her room was so reminiscent of the spider scene from Enemy.
what that didn't happen

yes it did.

>Anyone else really disappointed with this flick?
yes. very much so

Yeah, I kinda smirked when that happened.

>What do we call them?
>I was thinking abbott and costello

Why does hollywood feel the need to shoehorn quips into every movie?

what the fuck
when is that?

>give me 20 minutes
>you've got 10

really? jesus christ

I was just made they choose "Abbot & Costello" like Jeremy Renner is a 1000 years old.
Why the fuck would Abbot & Costello be relevant to him or anybody below the age of 100?

>In the 2016 sci-fi movie "Arrival", the two Heptapods (alien beings) are named Abbott and Costello by the scientists. As two of the main themes in the movie are linguistics and miscommunication, it mirrors themes of the "Who's on First?" Routine. The names also have significance in the film because the heptapod named Abbott is taller and quieter while the heptapod named Costello is shorter and chattier just as the real Abbott and Costello were on their show.

arrival has deepest lore

that's dumb.

incendies

mediocre as fuck. I was bored to tears until the last 10 minutes came in and salvaged it. It was like listening to a decent joke for an hour and a half and then finally getting the punchline in the end

The whole thing just feels like it could have been so much better

yes I am disappoint. Overall 4.5/10

this

i liked the story but it just wasn't a very well done movie

and I hate the overuse of tv news reports

This movie would have been vastly improved with anything related to the daughter removed.
Yes, we get it, even a minimal amount of time having a child is something to cherish.
Don't fucking trick me into watching some shit made heart string puller when I'm expecting a first contact movie.

Contact was automatically generated a better movie and even managed to have emotional moments without being a waste of fucking time.

One in twelve was a forced unity thing, she explained the weapon thing earlier in the movie where words got mixed up and people got the wrong meaning.

They really fucking dropped the ball by showing absolutely no results from everyone on earth having this ability, instead it was a twist that everyone saw six minutes into the movie.

>you dont understand! They dont percieve time linearly like us

i groaned hard at that line

Just watched it. Gave it 5 although it felt like I was being generous. Pseudo-intellectuals love this shit and defend it like it's their own.
The chinese general calms down after a phone call from a random person and the aliens fly off? I wanted to smash something after that scene.
The aliens were obviously communists :^).

Why do people like you even watch movies like this?

stick to video games

Really liked it when I first saw it, but in thinking it over afterwards it starts to fall apart. Not sure it'd stand up to a rewatch well.

Still good to watch once, though.

It's better than anything to have come out in the past few years or so, so I understand why people love it. It's good but movies like Contact did it much much better.

>It's better than anything to have come out in the past few years or so

mate come the fuck on

It was pretty powerful about the power of cinema. Best Villeneuve has yet done and far above trash like Prisoners, Sicario or Incendies

Well I guess 'in the last two years' would be more appropriate. Interstellar was pretty good.

I haven't even been bothered to watch much if any of the movies I torrented in the years 2015 and 2016.

Well I have Train to Busan so I guess I'm watching that next.

>I haven't even been bothered to watch much if any of the movies I torrented in the years 2015 and 2016.

I've found this happening too. Terrible when it starts feeling like a chore to watch movies