I just got the sense [Pitchfork] thought I was a rock star and they wanted to take me down a peg...

>I just got the sense [Pitchfork] thought I was a rock star and they wanted to take me down a peg, but I don't think it occurred to them that the review could have a catastrophic effect... Up until the day of the review, I'd play a solo show, and people would be like, 'That's our boy, our eccentric boy.' Literally, the view changed overnight... I could tell people were trying to figure out if they were supposed to be there or not. It was pretty severe, how the mood changed. The review isn't the story. The reaction to it is. The seriousness with which everyone takes Pitchfork is kind of mind-boggling.

Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: travistan.png (976x375, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

observer.com/2004/11/pitchforkmediacom-music-dudes-dictate-culture-from-chicago/
youtube.com/watch?v=mxfbFawAL08
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pitchfork for exaggerating their outrage like they did so much back in the day.

>uh yeah I'm a rock star
>from some nothing math rock band
Word.

'member Black Kids?
YOU ARE THE GIRL
THAT I'VE BEEN DREAMING OF

>Thoughts on the Dismemberment Plan? also the whole Travistan debacle

>"The Travistan thing was doubly rough for me because I went to college with the woman who wrote the Observer piece against Pitchfork for having too much power. She interviewed me for it, I was nervous because I’d just quit the site and got super fucking drunk and was a complete and total piece of shit, if you’ve seen the Dave England Darf bit in Jackass I was pretty much that bad we went to an Earlimart show and I heckled them and the entire audience until she dragged me out mortified. One of like the five or six most embarrassing nights of my life honestly but also super funny in retrospect because who gives a shit. We were never close and she was no angel in college. I always tried to be the asshole on nights out like that, life is too short and boring and it loosens everyone else up. But it doesn’t always work and you gotta walk around the rest of your life remembering the look on peoples’ faces the next day when you bombed. I liken it to living theater honestly, maybe I’m fuckin nuts I dunno.

>"But yeah Ryan and co didn’t get how big the site was and that was sort of the moment where it twigged for everyone like “yooooooo you can’t grind an axe this personally you nuked this guy’s career from orbit.” Like that shit fucked Travis up for a long time, no matter what he says about it, and I hope Ryan sent him a check or figured out a way to apologize later. During the interview for the Observer piece he had a panic attack, it was the literal moment he realized he was responsible for something really cruel and wrong."

Attached: 593557.jpg (422x600, 113K)

I wonder if Fantano will ever be big enough and tone-deaf enough to do as much damage to someone as this review did.

This guy sounds fucking cool holy shit

Well it's the most ridiculous shit because Pitchfork absolutely treated the Dismemberment Plan in an overtly positive way, and gave him a 0.0 solely because they were blinded by their preconceptions retarding what Morrison's solo album would be as opposed to what we as an audience got. I don't quite know if Pitchfork's influence is truly enough to kill careers but that review and the fallout from it was bullshit.

But, ultimately, this just reflects how stupid and sheepish people are. Pitchfork is the publication vapid hipsters with no identity of their own deserve.

Regarding, not retarding. That was just a typo, not a Freudian slip.

The thing with Pitchfork is, they don't review albums normally. The style of discussing how an album plays out, what songs are good and what songs just ultimately fail, and how it sounds just isn't all that goes into a Pitchfork album. They don't perceive the album presently, as in focus concretely on the aspects of the music. Rather, they look behind to other albums of the past and see how it relates to other albums of its genre, and also forward, foreseeing how the album will make an impact to music in the future. That's why their reviews revel in harshness and insensitivity; they actively pursue only the finest of music, the ones that will age perfectly with nary a qualm. People know this, and follow them because of their heavily grandiose evaluations of music.

Chris Ott is a hell of a guy, user. He's got a Youtube channel.

Ok Crazium like I said up above, do you remember Black Kids back in '08? Dance punk shit that sounded like The Cure? Everyone loved them, these guys would be huge nowadays but Pitchfork, at the absolute peak of its tyranny in the late 00s panned the fuck out of their debut album in the most smarmy, eye-rolly way possible and the frontman of the group, Reggie Youngblood suffered a nervous breakdown because of it.
No one publication should have all that power.

Then they inevitably fuck up and condemn a cult classic. 5-20 years later, they end up eating shit and putting it on fourteen best-of lists in an attempt to make up for the initial oversight.
Pitchfork can be useful just as a way to see what the prevailing attitudes are and which bands have released new material, but their scores are bullshit and even they are aware of that to some degree.

Especially with their politicized (you know for a fact that's what it is) and very calculated scores, completely focusing on the movement and message of the artist and not the music.

They have the power people give them.

Is THAT WHY THEY GAVE BSSM A 7/10 INSTEAD OF THE 10/10 IT DESERVED?

Attached: Screenshot_20180304-144323.png (1920x1080, 695K)

fuck off

The Observer piece in question, in case anyone is interested:
observer.com/2004/11/pitchforkmediacom-music-dudes-dictate-culture-from-chicago/

he sang like weird al.
now pitchfork spend all their energy hyping black artists instead of tearing down white ones.

I agree with . As moronic a publication as I think Pitchfork is most of the time, all shit like this does is reflect herd mentality and the way a lot of people who pretend to appreciate music don't really, they just use it as a tool for social validation.

They gave Sublime's first album a 5.6.
I was annoyed.

Does he still make music at all? I feel for the guy.

Even if an album is pretty political (Relatives in Descent) they bitch and moan if the messages aren't spoon-fed to them. The guy who reviewed that one kept trying to find Trump references (they aren't any) and closed the review by complaining that "i had my ear talked off :-((((" because, like everyone who writes for Pitchfork, he's incapable of thinking about one thinking about a topic for longer than a minute. It's ostensibly a music site. These people don't know politics, and making it the focus just demonstrates how fucking ignorant they are when it comes to that shit.

This whole thing about them inserting politics into anything and everything vaguely reminds me when they said "Kill v Maim" by Grimes was a misandrist statement because the lyrics "I'm only a man, and I do what I can" are sang by her.

And a twitter / askfm / spotify. Highly recommended for finding out new music and hearing what else he has to say. You can really learn a lot from this dude!

Didn’t he delete his twitter? Does he have a new one?

it's @shallowrewards but the two lowercase L's are uppercase I's

>40oz to Freedom
>Anything less than a 8.0
Fuck pitchfork

i didnt know pitchfork had a thing with them but i heard that really clearly in my head
EVER SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL

Based whoever that is is right on the money

that's Travis Morrison himself

who's in the wrong here?

Attached: imab.png (1026x515, 129K)

kek

ah, pitchfork, my favorite repressed post-colonial white guilt periodical

Oh fuck me, I didn't even bother looking at the name in the OP lmao. Any good shit from him?

I just listened to a couple song from this, it's really not that bad. Maybe 5/10 but i've heard much much worse

fuck p4k for that
ONE...

I guess Pouya asked him to review his new album and it ended up in a YUNOREVIEW with one of the biggest meh's from him in awhile. Didn't help that he was directly addressing him in the clip, but maybe I'm overanalyzing it. The album WAS a bit of a snoozer though.

I mean Chester and Lil Peep are dead thanks to his right wing bullying

based travis morrison
youtube.com/watch?v=mxfbFawAL08