About to have a go at a goulash

About to have a go at a goulash.

Going to use wagyu fat for the base

Any Hungarians got any tips? Also I forgot the name of the old hungarian cookbook that one guy set me onto

Other urls found in this thread:

delicious.com.au/recipes/slow-cooked-beef-stout/4427d3b9-3561-47ef-8f9f-b8967d5169cf
food.com/recipe/hungarian-nokedli-dumplings-54823
thespruce.com/turkish-style-stuffed-peppers-3274395
food.com/recipe/american-goulash-388153#activity-feed
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

törömök römköhöp

how are you gonna do it?
what are the steps?

Well I was actually thinking to casserole it this time. Only my second.

So melt the fat. Add the paprika. 1 min. add the meat. brown (only a small one today). tomato's and tomato paste. bay leaves. Cook for 2 hours

uh what
you don't add tomato to the gulyás

Hmm I might have got that wrong. Tomato paste only hey?

Yeah man I was looking and most of the english recipes say to add a can of tomatos hey

I don't know about that buddy, I've never seen tomatoes in it, I mean nothing, no paste no ttomatoes no ketchup no whatever
Is it a soup you're trying to make at least?

Hadn't really thought that far ahead. Thought I could find that Hungarian cookbook and probably go from there or something. Think I was probably just thinking to make a stew version. idk

Saw a version taht seasoned the meat with salt pepper and paprika that would make a Hungarian reee at one point though. Made it and it was basically just some super strong flavoured meat with some tomato mash

The only difference between the soup and the stew is that you add some water and and vegetables to the stew to make a soup
We make a stew, eat it for a few days and then add some water, carrots, potatoes to the leftovers and make a soup out of it.

I'll tell you how to make a proper pörkölt then
>caramelize onions, add a shitton of paprika powder
>cut up the meat and just put it on top the onion
>salt, pepper, cumin, crush some garlic or add some garlic paste, bay leaves
>don't add any water to it, and cook it on really low heat for about one hour and a half, the meat releases a lot of water, it should be enough
>obviously put a lid on the pot while cooking
>if you're making a soup then you're supposed to add the veggies now, if not then cook it until the meat is soft enough to eat
done

I forgot to say but it's kinda obvious, if you're making a soup you need to add water to it, together with the veggies

Ah you've set me free on that one mate. Got like no veggies in the house atm. Just got random shit laying around. Thought I'd just buy $10 of meat and just have a look.

Got all the stuff for that one would have thought that would burn the paprika though desu

what do you mean burn the paprika

I was under the impression that paprika is safe to fry for around a minute without liquid or it will burn and go bitter

Gotten most of my cooking advice from Sup Forums desu. Shame /ck/ is such a shitshow. Good to go to if you plan on surviving on ramen though

well you're cooking the onions in oil or fat right? also they let out a lot of water
so you cook them until they turn opaque, and then add the paprika powder, it soaks up all the water and turns all that shit into a paste like stuff
all this should take about a minute, and then you can add the meat

Will it be good with fat as a base? Nicest stew I've ever made was when I tried turning the heat up a bit and all the fat from the meat rendered into the liquid. So you had this stock/juice that just had melted fat all through it. Was so fucking good

This one really surprised me actually
delicious.com.au/recipes/slow-cooked-beef-stout/4427d3b9-3561-47ef-8f9f-b8967d5169cf
Super super good

I use a kitchen spoon of lard usually

Sounds pretty good.

Much going on in Hungarian food besides Gulyas?

I don't know, shit like stuffed paprika or lecsó
also you should eat your pörkölt with nokedli

Noodles?

What is stuffed paprika? And I've looked at lecso before. Doesn't really appeal that much I guess.

I mean I guess the reality is that I would like to start making stuffed capsicums a little. Cheap and nice. Can never really find big capsicums constantly. Also can never quite nail the garlic yogurt

do you have these?
we call them tölteni való paprika, literally "paprika to be stuffed"
and just stuff it with minced meat

food.com/recipe/hungarian-nokedli-dumplings-54823
yeah I guess dumplings
this is a good recipe

Good thread

If you want yet another reason to shit on my country, Google "American goulash" and prepare to cringe.

No we don't get them. The ones in coles or woolworths are usually pretty miserable actually.

Had something like this at a turkish restaurant one day though

thespruce.com/turkish-style-stuffed-peppers-3274395

Super fucking good. Just reasonably hard to put together and like I say the garlic yougurt that the Turks can make is off the charts

Super simple. Don't have any eggs though sadly

it's like meatballs in tomato sauce, except the meat is stuffed into the paprika

what are you planning to eat with it then?

Eh was just going to eat the stew itself like a creature. In the middle of my pay cycle sadly

uh what the fuck
cook some pasta at least, even spaghetti is better than fucking nothing

>hugarians giving their irrelevant opinion on cuisine

what you say doesn't matter, Gulasz is Polish.

Guess so. I mean I think the done thing most of the time is to have potato's in western stews so the stew itself is a meal

I might make some tomorrow, I'll post pics if you're around

Friendsz, do you add flour to your paprikas? I mixed it with sour cream and stirred it in when it was nearly done.

Yeah I probably will be. Kinda want to get pretty decent at cooking I guess

I saw a recipe that added flour to the seasoning of the meat. But that was to directly fry it so the flour got tasty

not this late though, I would've gone to sleep like 3 hours ago if I hadn't been drinking

Got any cool stuff to drink in Hungary? Or just typical European gear

Obviously edited by a magyar piece of shit.

food.com/recipe/american-goulash-388153#activity-feed

Please do
Yeah, we have a bad habit of ruining old world dishes.

Eh it comes full circle. Salmon pizza and greek lamb pizza are fucking amazing and never would have happened without whatever the fuck you guys were doing with it

Also Hamburgers got popular from America and I've got a bag of them in the fridge atm

I mean the reality of it is that Aussie food is probably a BBQ or meat and 3 veg so its pretty good that we have the ability to just make stuff from everywhere

alright but when should I make the thread?

When you make the stew I imagine. Not much point making it for brekky

Although if we organise a time I'll turn up for sure so you can walk me through it

yeah but I'm gonna wake up in 6 hours, go buy ingredients and then make it, if neither of you is awake it's kind of pointless to make the thread

That'll be close to 6pm here man so I'll be around. Just a matter of catching it I guess

Why don't we say 8pm for me? So 8.5 hours

I make paprikás, lecsó, pörkölt, langós and töltött paprika quite often, there's also things like bableves, sült karfio, hús leves, köménymag leves and káposzta leves.

Lots of desserts too, including lekváros megtelt, szilvás gombóc, and the god-tier kürtőskalács.

Just make puliszka if you want quick and easy calories

eh maybe an hour later but okay

Nah want like super wholesome cooking times. Bit of a retard so some things seem hard like stuffed peppers.

What are most of those things? Recognise like lesco but like I said doesn't really appeal that much

Well I'll have a look tonight man. Hope I catch you

Eh, in my country, we take porkolt and call it goulash, and we don't put any paprika in it either. Fuck paprika soup, what is that even for.

Hús leves is incredibly easy and lasts a few days mostly involves making soup out of bone marrow and vegetables by letting a slice of bone summer in stock, and add veggies and noodles to serve. Pic related.

Bableves is like gulyás but uses sliced sausage and black beans instead of beef cubes, preferably use Kolbász but you can use anything, even hot dogs.

I have a big book called Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes that has a lot of stuff in English, and a lot more books in Hungarian. The ISBN is 0-9780254-0-7 if you ever want to look it up at a bookstore website. I would scan it, but I have no scanner.

Here's a good chicken paprikás, note that you do the need the sour cream, I usually just eat it with bread and a pint

Sounds pretty good. Not familiar with that sort of cooking sadly. What does having the bones and stuff in? I guess with what's listed to me it sounds a little thin and tasteless

Definitely going to bookmark this thread man. Never tried something like that actually. Its not a little tasteless? I only have sweet and smoked paprika actually and idk if you can get hot capsicum around here

*Do not need
The bones make the broth thicker and have a stronger taste, the marrow does quite a bit taste-wise. It is a thinner soup, although I always stuffed it with chopped carrots, meat and noodles, and added hot paprika or chili flakes to accent it. If you want something thicker regarding soup, gulyás is probably your best bet, although the bableves is a good alternative. My mum makes the best on Earth, but I can't find the recipe for the life of me.

It's a bit tasteless if you're used to stuff like gulyás, but if you put enough marrow in it should be fine. It's meant to be a hot meal eaten during a cold or coming in from the frigid winter, so it's very hearty.

Here's one more recipe you can try, we eat it during Easter with Lamb-Brain soup, although that's not a mainstream dish outside of remote Carpathians villages

Might be worth a go. I mean I like the rich heartiness of the idea of gulyas although I've only amide it once so far. Going to see how I go today following Hungariananon's recipe

I mean its basically soft orientalisim of food really isn't it. Flooded with food from all over the world but you barely see Hungarian food crop up. But yeah I might give it a go

just got off the phone with mum, try this out for bableves

>cut up 1 medium sized onion into squares
>saute in tsp of oil until clear, all while cutting up lengthwise and then in half-moons kolbasz
>throw into pan, until crisps and releases juices
>sprinkle with tsp paprika, and then dont wait or will burn
>take 2 small cans or 1 big can kidney beans, rinse underwater with sieve
>place beans into pot, fill up with 1L beef broth, and eyeball about a liter of water
>add bay leaf, salt, pepper, cook for ~20m
>while cooking, take carrot, peel and cut into half-moon circles
>take yukon gold potato, cut into squares
>taste, if there's anything missing add spices
>place in carrots and potatoes
>add nokedli if you wish, soak for a bit

that's the gist, good luck man. I love this recipe

Anything I can change for the kolbasz that I can find in Australia and is made of beef?

maybe chorizo if you have it

all else fails, just use polish sausage

Sounds super good man. Might have to see if I can turn something up really

I'll probably be a latecomer to the thread if you make it 9.5 hrs from that timestamp, but I'll be on the lookout for it and definitely pop in if it's still active.

Maybe I'll make some goulash tomorrow too :p

Bamp

hey I just got up, I'm gonna take a shower and go buy the stuff needed

Hey man. Yeah I have mine in the oven.

Added too much cumin and put a little water in at the wrong time so it might not be the best but should be ok

Aren't you supposed to add caraway to goulash?

Hmm its pretty dry man. Should have added some stock or tomatos or some more water

Tastes super good though

>Also I forgot the name of the old hungarian cookbook that one guy set me onto
There is classic cook book by Gundel Karoly on Hungarian cuisine, probably he advice that one.

what do you mean you put it in the oven? how does that work?
Any pics?
I just got back from the store, about the begin

You know how a casserole works?

I don't know what that is at all

Its a way of cooking stews. Super popular in my parents generation. Probably all time popular.

Just make a stew or a dish then put it in the oven instead of on the stovetop

Here it is cooking

I think you burned that a tiny little bit lmao

Like super a lot. Not enough water or something probably. Was super nice anyway

Probably not the sort of recipe to casserole because there's no tomato or anything to act as a base

alright I'll be back with pics in about 20 minutes

ok

bump

here we go

We make best goulash

then the paprika
and the meat, salt and all that stuff, can't take pics of those steps unless I want to burn it down like fucking ass

bay leaves of course

I think should've added another onion but whatever

now the lid

And basically we're done here, checking it every 10 minutes or something

But it has no goo to simmer in and cook down in? What cut of meat are you using?

look how much water it let out already, it's enough

it's pork because it's faster but you are supposed to use cheap meat like the shank

I can never tell what heat lets out more liquid though. I think maybe high heat seals it and it lets out very little?

I used chuck I think? idk

yeah chuck is ok
the heat is on minimum, it's barely boiling

There's not only one right and holy way to make gulyás, there are even regional differences as to how people make it.
I personally prefer it with a shitton of ground cumin, a little soup-y (but no too thin and liquid) with carrots and potatoes.

>gulyás
>it's pork

Ah good stuff.

idk man I might give your recipe a go on the stovetop one time. Tasted pretty nice actually

That sounds worth a shot man. Care to write down a recipe?

pörkölt, nem gulyás

Sure, just gonna have a cigarette mate.

Enjoy

So my own personal preference for gulyás:

Heat up fat in the pan (guess casserole works). Cut up a medium sized onion and cook it in the fat until it turns just a little brownish (don't caramellize it all the way).
Put a few teaspoons (more or less, to your own taste) of ground paprika into this mixture and stir well. Important note - don't leave the pan over direct heat when you put the paprika in, as it can turn it a bit bitter. Add about 1 - 1,5 dl of water and stir a bit and then add your cut up beef. Add salt, pepper and ground cumin (about 1 teaspoon of each, but I like to add some more cumin later).
Now cook the meat slowly for about 5-10 minutes (until it turns white-ish). After that add a small cut up tomato and the pepper like pic related if you can get it. If not, don't sweat it, not that important. Add a couple garlic cloves and bay leaves, and cook it for about hour and a half in its own juice.
After that time, add a cut up carrot, a few cut up potatoes and a cup of water, and cook until these are nice and soft. You can also adjust the seasonings now. The water you add should mostly submerge the contents of your pan, the amount depends if you want it more soup-like or more stew-like.

I would like to make one like this if I can. Looks different

Why and the water before the meat? Isn't it nice if its browned first?

How much meat is that for?

that's halászlé not gulyás

What's halászlé?

C-can you cook other things too? I don't even like meat but that looks fucking delicious.
>please marry me

How'd you go?

fish soup

It's added so that the ground paprika doesn't get burned. I just estimated the amount of water, you can add less, it doesn't need to be drenched, just kept from burning.
I would say it's for about half a kilo of meat.

actually looks like fish soup tho.