My dad immigrated from Russia in the 90's so he loves prog rock...

My dad immigrated from Russia in the 90's so he loves prog rock. He also complains that he doesn't like the mix of new albums compared to ones made in the 70's. I tried getting him to listen to the top rated on rym but he calles ok computer garbage.

I want to make a list of 5 or 6 albums for him to expand his taste for newer/non prog rock music.

First albums that come to mind are Heaven or Las Vegas, In Colour, strawberry jam, lift yr skinny fists

Attached: 1476754825665.png (1468x672, 1.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xbMxAfHNcjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The ultimate musical redpill is that older music is, in fact, superior. In the last 15 years, I went from being a wrong generation faggot, to hating those people and defending modern music, to realizing that I was actually right before. There hasn't been anything good or genuine or original in on almost 2 decades.
Sup Forums will deny this

Attached: 1518027037459.jpg (3851x2702, 1.14M)

Innovation is a meme

Dude, I've heard almost all of those albums and I still feel this way. They all pale in comparison to classic albums. Some of them, like Aesthethica, Lost In The Dream, and most of the rap ones, are outright fucking terrible. The ones that are decent or mediocre are just watered-down rip offs or imitations of older sounds. I'm telling you, older shit was better

I'm this guy. I didn't see Nonagon Infinity at first glance. That album fucking jams. The rest really are trash though.

What's the point in expanding his taste? He likes prog from the 70s. There is a ton of that kind of music from then that he could spend his life listening to. Why force him to listen to stuff he doesn't like?

>implying king gizzard is listenable or that blond is a good album

This. I listened to all of the modern shit that Sup Forums recommends when I was in college, and it really is bland as fuck compared to older albums. I went out of my way to disprove the wrong generation faggots, because they're annoying and cringey as fuck, but in my search for good modern music, I ultimately came to the conclusion that older music is actually better. Who else /full circle/ here?

This is awful. Probably the worst thing you could show a wrong generation kid. Fucking Kanye West and Liturgy? Come on, dude.

King Gizzard is the ONLY good thing in that image.

Or give him some modern prog or prog listener accessible bands like like Porcupine Tree, Gazpacho, Mystery, Airbag, Big Big Train Leprous, etc
or some prog accessible folk rock like Karen Elson or Neal Morse's new albums

You forgot Tool and The Mars Volta, my dude.

I'm being serious. Try asking on reddit if you want to shitpost.

>buttrock in odd time signatures
>emo in odd time signatures with trumpets

This is all fucking trash, mate.

>Kid A under "experimental"
holy shit lmao

>he calles ok computer garbage
It is garbage. Your Dad sounds cool.

OK Computer sounds like a heroine junkie singing over radio rock featuring Microsoft Sam. Your dad is correct.
In The Court Of The Crimson King is better than anything Radiohead ever did.

This. A heroine junky though? Somehing about strong women i guess...

shhh, you'll trigger the clueless shit A fans who have no idea it doesn't hold a candle to what inspired radiohead

Trust me, there is a enough obscure prog from the original era that you can spend years finding new bands. I find a band a week and the newest music in my library is from 1991

>to what inspired radiohead
Krautrock?

Autocorrect is a bitch. Thom Yorke sings like he's strung out on heroin. His voice is so shakey and whiney.

Attached: 1514834456749.png (494x489, 325K)

Pretty sure that they both have very different artistic intentions and aren't particularly comparable.

>My dad immigrated from Russia in the 90's so he loves prog rock
what? Prague isn't in Russia. I don't get it.

>tfw dad hates hip hop with a passion

Attached: hanging-wojak-5a9421a388a5c.jpg (652x1224, 48K)

I've only been here since 2012. Which album was Sup Forumscore first? MBDTF or ITCOTCK? It seriously wouldn't surprise me if Sup Forums started listening to Kanye because of Pitchfork, and then found King Crimson because he fucking sampled it. People here are so clueless about music, that I wouldn't be shocked if they found one of the greatest prog albums of all time through a fucking rapper.

ok so what's your metric for a good album/artist?

Your dad sounds based.

Your dad is right. Its fucking shit. It's especially cringey when white kids start telling me that Ready To Die or [insert "classic" hip-hop album here] is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Your dad has better taste than you, faggot.

>tfw my son is a filthy pleb who likes hip hop

Attached: 1501808404554.png (599x586, 164K)

Your dad is right, today's music does suck compared to the 70's.

>that fucking instrumental break around 1:30 ish
>in the middle of a pop song
Modern music simply cannot compete.
youtu.be/xbMxAfHNcjc

Attached: Incense And Peppermints.jpg (1000x1000, 1003K)

the way in which people judge music cements at around 25 - 35 or whatever, beyond that they stop being able to adapt their criteria for good music, and thus get out of touch with emerging types of musicianship.

I think it just has to do with how most music that has ever been made is not recent music, so of course the old music that lasted through the decades is gonna be better, but also there's so much old fucking terrible music that just never lasted to fart in your ears.

there's a lot of amazing music being made today. most is mediocre, though.

don't make excuses for being lazy and falling back on your old favorites

I think in the context of pop music it's very experimental

of course it's not as experimental as this heat, or can, or mingus, or autechre or whoever else inspired it but that wasn't the point. y'all some contrarians.

Modern era Opeth like Watershed and Heritage

>the way in which people judge music cements at around 25 - 35 or whatever, beyond that they stop being able to adapt their criteria for good music
Wrong. I'm 20 and I work at a record shop. I showed the owner, who is 39, Norwegian black metal and he fucking loved it. He had heard of it, but just never listened to it before. He liked shit like Glenn Branca, Throbbing Gristle, Jesus & Mary Chain, Siouxsie & The Banshees, etc. He said something along the lines of "I've never heard metal this raw and angry before. It's great."

>get out of touch with emerging types of musicianship
Or they've been around long enough to have experienced older musicians, when they were younger, playing better or being more creative than musicians today. Your whole "emerging types of musicianship" thing sounds like a hipster way of saying "being shit at music but its okay because we're lowering the standard to new lows"

thats the appeal honestly. weak frail vocals add to emotional delivery