I loved it

I loved it.

It's a pretty good pleb filter.

>inb4 a bunch of screenerfags come in to tell you that you actually hated it

Artsy flaggot movie

it was stupid

The whole learning a language makes your brain work different thing was pretty retarded though.

about to watch, do i need subs?

Na you need to watch something else

This movie is only adored by people who feel good because they "get it".

This movie wasn't good, the first half was decent then it went fullblown Interstellar-tier.

Thing is it's not even a very smart movie why would anyone not get it.

>Learn a language
>Be able to see future

problem is that it's a strong 7/10, i'll even accept it as a weak 8, but people are calling it the best sci - fi in decades, which just isn't true.

Also starting and ending your film with "on the nature of daylight" (the saddest and most beautiful song ever) while you have sad shit going on is really emotional manipulative, if the song didn't have such strong ties to shutter island for me i'd probably ble one of the 10/10 shills

It's right though.

it had good eye candy throughout the movie

If you like Sci-Fi.

If you like Villneuve's style.

If you like a non-Marry Sue (actually) strong female character.

Then Arrival is solid kino.

She doesn't just "see" the future, she literally interacts with it.

As far as blockbuster cinema goes this was one of the best I've seen and while I thought Villeneuve didn't even care about cinema, this film definitely proves me wrong.

>problem is that it's a strong 7/10, i'll even accept it as a weak 8, but people are calling it the best sci - fi in decades, which just isn't true.

Ofcourse that isnt true.

Interstellar is the best Sci-Fi since Matrix.

She doesn't interact with future. She just remembers the future like humans remember the past.

was it my copy or was the film weirdly dark?

like it had some shitty filter?

Seems to me that people who hate on this movie hate the people who liked it more than the movie itself.

Maybe watch it in the kino and dont just watch a shitty cam rip, then complaining about the cinematography pleb.

She does interact with the future, for example when she asks the General what she told him to convince him to not attack the aliens.

It was purposefully dark, silhouette like. I have a high end OLED and it looked amazing.

>what is contrarianism

Welcome to Sup Forums.

Me too

It was okay. Fell apart at the end though.

>Not watching all movies with subs

There were some parts in the helicopters where I couldn't hear anything being said.

she doesn't interact with the future, the future ceases to exist, she is thinking NON-LINEARLY about time

also shit movie denis is a hack just like nolan

You are not supposed to. Louise even remarks she couldn't hear what Ian said (before putting on the headset), you aren't supposed to hear it either when the sound mixing intentionally does it like this.

>buzzwords
>more buzzwords
>autism

Now this is Sup Forums posting.

Well, those parts were still subtitled, so I knew what was being said.

Her future and her "present" are mixed together and work with each other. Without her future (the party scene with the General), she could have never saved the alien in the present from an attack.

There's also another scene, when her daughter (in the future) asks her something and she finds the answer in her present when Ian tells her, and then she can answer her daughter in the future.

>I didn't watch the movie
ok dude (retard)

ok (autist) retard "dude"

When in the film do the aliens mention something humanity will do for them 3000 years in the future, I must have missed that part.

I thought it was kinda fucked up she still decided to have a kid with that dude?

Her child's life still has value, and the parent's interaction with the child does, even if it is tragically cut short.

It's selfish if you ask me desu

Narcissistic would be to assume you can decide if life is worth living.

I get that but the kid still has to go thru that shit. And it was kinda fucked up she didnt tell Ian what was going to happen , even though theres a chance he would leave her before they have a baby

It's not born yet though, so technically it doesn't exist.

they could just not fuck

>And it was kinda fucked up she didnt tell Ian what was going to happen ,
She does tell Ian. That is why Ian leaves her.

I mean before they have a baby

tfw no sex process

Yeah. I like ithat she wasn't "all good" as in told about this beforehand. Or that Ian stayed with her. Brings realism to it all when characters do these humane thigns.

I thought it was alright. I liked the focus on language theory, but otherwise, meh. The characters weren't very interesting, especially Hawkeye, he might as well just have been a penis.

I went into it having high hopes since Villeneuve has had a few good movies in the last few years but it really was just another feel-good blockbuster flick. If that's your thing then i'm no one to judge but it seriously was nothing special.

When she meets alone with that last ayy

I don't think she can interact with the future. The way i see it, the aliens came from the future and told her everything but she just realized the message when she mastered the language. Just like when you listen to a song in french and you have no idea what it means, but then you learn french and thinking back you realise what it meant.

It was a good story base, but I wish there was more plot elements. Felt like a one hour Outer Limits episode stretched over a full movie.

Worth watching, some nice ideas, good execution, but not a grand slam.

One flaw is the terrible cgi of the actors in some scenes. Quit being lazy and do some practical effects.

You're retarded.
Language does shape the way we think, you're just too retarded to understand what it means.

For example, there are languages in which specific tones of blue have different names, and those people are also more likely to be able to tell the difference between these tones. Or in english you say that someone commits suicide, as if they had suddenly done something wrong, whereas in spain you say someone has completed their suicide, so suicide is looked at differentely in spanish culture than america etc.

Language shapes how we think, there is no doubt about it. I wish plebs would just stop watching films.

Zero on screen chemistry between Adams and Remner. All that time she spent convincing the general should have been spent convincing Ian and winning him over.

>knows child will get sick
Why didn't they just conceive like a month later? Surely it would make some difference?
And she never got the urge to try to change something unimportant in the future out of spite?

Literally the only clever thing aboutthe movie and I was pretty pissed the whole thing wasnt entirely about that

More like why the fuck every movie about circular timelines always avoid to deal face on with a non deterministic universe?
It doesnt mater what she (or anyone else) would do as she couldnt change any of it cause when the deterministic principle of cause and effect gets broken up because of a different perception of time, everything is already set in stone.

But, like always, they just pussy out about it by being cheesy and using "love" or some other bullshit as a motif to why people, although knowing it all, pretend to act as they must.

If I suddenly acquired the ability to see time non-linearly and, for all intents and purposes, see the future, the LAST fucking thing I would be planning would be a family lol

My Amy is in all the best movies. It's a travesty that she still hasn't been awarded an Oscar.

I swear to god when a scifi film doesn't end in a conflict or battle it always tries to be deep and ruins the movie in the final 20 minutes.

Or not have a kid. Or have sex with literally anyone else. Or adopt. Really the bitch is retarded.

Her daughter seems to be more important to the story than the movie showed.

If the movie doesn't show it, it really doesn't matter now, does it?

Are there subtitles during that scene? I only watched a downloaded copy that didnt have any.

No, i saw it only because i have subtitles

>Sup Forums shits on good movies like Arrival and The VVitch, calls them pretentious and broing
>praises awful, stinking garbage like Batman V Superman and has dozens of threads after every new episode of Game of Thrones/Walking Dead
you guys are such fagots I swear

I was a bit disappointed. It was well shot and acted but about as deep as a puddle

I'd rate it on the same level as Interstellar

Literally none of the things you listed there are "good", kiddo.

Why didn't she just hold off on having sex for a day? That way the guy's semen would be recycled which means a different child would be born, one that wouldn't fucking die.

Yes there are subs for some of the aliens part that aren't even in the .srt of the web dl.

Because she loved her daughter you mongoloid. Did you miss the whole message of the film

Here's their conversation

Costello?
Where is Abbott?
"ABBOTT IS DEATH PROCESS"
I'm sorry.
We're sorry.
I need you to...
I need you to... to send a message...
to the other sites.
LOUISE HAS WEAPON
"USE WEAPON"
I don't... I don't understand.
What is your purpose here?
"WE HELP HUMANITY"
"IN THREE THOUSAND YEARS"
"WE NEED HUMANITY HELP"
How can you know the future?
I don't...
I don't understand. Who is this child?
The program is called
"Mommy and Daddy talk to animals."
"LOUISE SEES FUTURE"
"WEAPON OPENS TIME"
Wait... No! Wait!

Arrival is Villeneuve's latest yearly-attempt to convince pseudo-cinephiles that he's an artist. In it, he has a vague non-sensical sci-fi plot about time travel. Where smart films, such as the original Iron Man or Christopher Nolan's Inception, construct a believable world and then weave sci-fi themes around it, Arrival goes full idiocy. We get telepathic aliens that look like hands and can see the future who teach Amy Adams to time travel so that she can save the world so that the world can save the aliens in the future. Sounds stupid? That's because it is. And don't be confused by the trailers, there are no big set-pieces, no explosions or shoot-outs. Just 2 hours of Amy Adams acting confused before she realises that Jeremy Renner is the father of her dead baby from the future. Yeah.
Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar, but without the interesting space-travel and without the emotional impact that leaves you in tears. I'd say Villeneuve needs to take a break from filmmaking to figure out his strengths, but BladeRunner 2 is coming soon so we know there's no hope of that happening.

Thanks user

There was subtitles on my screener download but they were black and the aliens were black so you could only see some of them. I could make out the important bits thoug.

these
because this board is full of capeshitters that adore that anything Nolan craps out with its constant exposition and explanations (which still somehow manage to be filled with plot holes if you actually pay attention)
they want films that they can watch in the background and not pay attention to

>non-sensical

Double thanks.

>for example when she asks the General what she told him
The general tells her unprovoked actually and her future-self can't remember why because she no longer experiences time linearly
And that's not her "intereracting with the future", that's an event that happened in her future which she perceives

>mfw i share a board with people this stupid

Is this an honest pasta?

>Where smart films, such as the original Iron Man or Christopher Nolan's Inception,
Take a wild guess

It wouldn't matter what she does. For someone that experiences time in a non linear way, the future you see is completely dependent on the actions you take in the present. If she would have chosen not to have a kid the future she experienced would have been one without a kid. It would be impossible to alter her current behavior in an attempt to change the future because she's experiencing time all at once, or at least beginning too.

you must be new here. He's actually average, there are far worse.

>bu-bu-but life always matters!

what's the point of having a baby you WILL know she's going to suffer and have painful death?
this woman is worse than hitler if you ask me

Fuck it, I'm so tired.
Because
>it was the whole point of the movie
but more importantly, but god forbid we talk about that
>she couldnt avoid it.

She couldnt "change" the "future".
She couldnt not have the kid, cause the kid was already there, in the same time, but we percieve it linearly and the aliens dont.
There is no present, no past, no future, none of Adams actions were her OWN, it's all written, like in a book, you cant escape it.

She "already" had the kid

why would you bother living if you know you're gonna die?

is this bait? I made a serious post, can you please stop trolling for a second you stupid fuck

Prove that a life of suffering is worse than never existing. I'll wait
And you better not rely on any bullshit that relies on the asumption that not existing can be equated to existing without pain

I admit I wasn't considering the point of the movie, but would you truly be able to act the exact same way you do if you can see the future? Just by learning about it will make your body behave differently. It'd be literally impossible for her to have the exact same child once she saw it.

Star Trek played with the multiple futures/universes approach and I do believe that is better science fiction over a closed cycle.

Point is that if you live your life being able to jump your memory around any part of it you should be able to make changes if the "present" time is still a thing.

It's not bait, it's supposed to activate your neurons

Even though you might not be aware of it you actually have no choice and this is a scientific FACT. If you could actually see the future there would be NOTHING you could do to change it. This is DETERMINISM, choice is an ILLUSION. Now how can this be you might ask, do I have any proof? The answer is YES, it's called CAUSALITY and it's the ESSENTIAL PRINCIPLE of the UNIVERSE. You cannot by your will CHANGE which neuron will fire, which direction an atom will move after a collision. This is all determined by previous neurons, by previous collisions, ad infinitum to the beginning of time. Of course we live everyday life BELIEVING we have a choice but this does not change REALITY. So she could not by the laws of nature have sex another day.

Weird. I hated Tree of Life but loved this.

>Just by learning about it will make your body behave differently
This is based on the assumption that before she learnt about it, the future occurred without her learning about it
But in every future, she learns to see time non-linearly at the same point in her life and thus reacts in the same way

>Point is that if you live your life being able to jump your memory around any part of it you should be able to make changes if the "present" time is still a thing.
Prove to me that free-will exists in such a way that we can be certain that seeing the future is categorically impossible and I'll agree with you. If you don't understand why I'm asking this then you have a bad understanding of time
Hint the past, present and future don't really exist, they're arbitrary terms

>People have BIZARRE angry overreactions about this movie and how much they hate it.

Really, what did it do wrong? It's like the Trump of movies.

>I FUCKING HATE IT ARGGGH!
>Skub.

Yeah, I get what you're saying but you're keeping AGAIN your reasoning linear. You say "if you can SEE the future", but to SAW it, it is already a reality. One you cant escape.

Also, you're reasoning under the assumption that human, and Amy Adams in this flick, have free will and they can decide what to do and their actions have consequences.
In a universe like the one in Arrival, you know for a fact that time is circular and consequences can precede causality, so dismiss the deterministic cause effect logic.
Amy Adams didnt chose to have a dead kid.
She thinks she did, but that's just what it would seem to us in that kind of situation.
Ironically she is just a charachter on a screen. Everything she does it's already written.

read the short story, it does a better job of explaining how the nonlinearity works

Not weird at all
Tree of Life is pretentious, unfocused shit that throws some generic philosophy in the underlying themes
Arrival actually a good film that provides insight into philosophy of language and proposes and interesting [if inconceivable] consideration for potential effects of whorfianism

>Costello and Abbott
All of my kek in the Italian dub they name them Tom and Jerry

it made them feel stupid
when they went and had a minor complaint here and people pointed out that they misunderstood the film, they then felt even more stupid

thus they insult the film to internally convince themselves that they disliked it because it was bad and not because they're stupid

>"ABBOTT IS DEATH PROCESS"

What does he mean by these? I think I get the rest of it with 'weapon' being a tool and that tool being the language that let's Louis experience non linear time.