Education in the West vs East

Why is the education system so damn liberal in the West, and so stringent in the East? In South Korea the majority of high school students spend most if not all of their free time studying whilst here time is spent pissing around and barely passing. I personally find the Education system in England to be pathetic. We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work. This isn't something that a child or teen can develop, so a lenient school is only going to help reinforce laziness.

At least the kids are "living", I suppose. In SK and to a lesser extent Japan students are disciplined to a ridiculous extent and have most of their freedom taken away. They never get to enjoy their youth but at least they're taught the value of hard work. I think that Japan does it best: there's a lot of pressure and discipline for the students to develop properly without sacrificing their youth. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4qhwJtSCAT8
youtube.com/watch?v=D9YCsA3uiCg
youtube.com/watch?v=VLmJv4ElNRE
theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/12/china-education-system/420234/
youtube.com/watch?v=hAmFaDzy4vQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The East
>education until high school is uptight as fuck, but college education is much more lax (with exception of a few elite colleges and special majors like medicine)

The West
>education until high school is lax as fuck but college education becomes a lot harder (ok except for meme degrees like wymyn's studies or other humanities/social science caps)

T. Korean who did high school in Korea and went the US for college

One of my Korean friends say even classes from colleges like University of Arkansas or Louisiana State University (kinda like mid or mid-upper tier uni in the US) was harder than ones in one of top 3 unis in S Korea.

Thanks, that's all I wanted, really.

fucking pathetic

>hey guys let's make life a living hell learning basic calculus that a graphic calculator can do but throw everything out of the windows and just skip learning useful stuff after high school

it's a shame western countries get beaten by this illogical system

knowledge is supposed to be liberal

hmmmmm

>it's a shame western countries get beaten by this illogical system
Yea because you guys have done even more illogical thing of establishing meme majors in uni like wymyn's studies and niggers' studies.

But no worries, feminazis and multikulti are taking over worst Korea and Taiwan at least and Asia will slowly accept utter stupidities like feminazi and will fuck up education like yours

hard work doesnt matter

aren't entry exams to Uni's in East Asia pretty difficult though? Like Imperial Exam tier?

Entry yes. After entry, people don't really study but they will work hard on something else that will make them to get jobs (e.g. civil officer exam, etc)

why are we sooo smart?

where are the asian countries?

It sounds like your pre-Uni educational system has more to do with grinding down and forming the child for society than actual education. But maybe that's the goal of education of youth in general

Yes Asian education is to make 'people useful for society' not to actually educate people.

That's why I left essentially.

So what? All of those people eventually go to the US for more funding and opportunities anyway.

Nobel is politics. I'm glad you won I guess, but research not written in the committee's favorite languages are difficult to win.

Do you think American music is popular because they are good too?

No idea user

>Do you think American music is popular because they are good too?
Compared to German pop music American pop music is actually entertaining, compared to German rap music US rap music is trash though.
Can you offer another metric to compare education systems?

>compared to German rap music US rap music is trash though.

sometimes I really hate you Germans. Your contemporary culture is just so fucking gay

... muh, our German technology is best ...

East Asians think that putting in more time and money always means better results so they force their kids to go to cram schools and tuition.

A motivated self-learner > Unmotivated person who attends classes every waking hour

>dumbest parts of germany also the most sandnigger parts

really makes me think.

You totally don't get it.
Nobels doesn't have coverage for researchers doing their research in non-western language. You guys won a lot more because they read your researches a lot more than East Asian's. Stop bragging wit Nobels. Also I'm not saying our education is better too, because as I said it, Nobels isn't a good measure.

Why did I brought up pop music? Not to compare education, but to make a point about how unfair counting Nobel is, as a measure of education system.
When an American musician make a song, 2 billions of people can understand clearly what it's about, and may decide to make a purchase. For Japanese it's only 100 million people who can actually understand what the song is about. Same goes for hollywood movie VS foreign language movie, or western researchers VS Asian researchers.

youtube.com/watch?v=4qhwJtSCAT8
youtube.com/watch?v=D9YCsA3uiCg
youtube.com/watch?v=VLmJv4ElNRE

made me laugh, that one is good

You can publish in English though

Mitsubishi did the same thing + Takata airbag defects

You know it's not as easy for us as for you. There are bound to be less English paper from Japan than Germany and you fucking know it.

Anyway that's how Nobel is.

>In South Korea

Let's not get into extremes. Also, if you dont know what a bread shuttle is, you shouldn't praise SK's education system.

you know more japs have won a nobel prize the last decade than germans have right?

it takes like 20-30+ years of having a career to be considered typically and half the japs get placed into american institutions.

Even K-pop is better than those.

that's because you are a girl

Western pre-tertiary education used to be of comparatively high quality, if not better, than in Asia. Western universities are still in most ways superior.

The reason why a disparity now exists is because the West admitted too many minorities, chiefly Middle Easterners and Blacks, into their general education system as a result of immigration in Europe and desegregation in the United States. As a results, standards have to be drastically lowered.

Western universities are still high quality because they are mostly white for now, as the immigrant population is young, the decline is most obvious can be seen in the education system from ages 6-18. But it is now possible to see teaching standards and student quality in Western universities starting to slip as well, the only maintain their standards through braindraining from the rest of the world.

nigger, anything before university is useless

its sole reason is to keep kids locked up while parents work

>portugal knows bread shuttle
Are you Korean immigrant or tourist?

Hey you, get sweet bean bread, now

Nobel prizes are for white people jerk other white people off

these suck even for rap

good job with your knockoff nigger music you pathetic german worm

You're pathetic. Rap music is degenerate trash no matter the language. If you want to brag about German music at least take the classics like Beethoven and Bach. They gave more to the world than all rappers in all the world combined.

neither. i simply used to follow a couple of manhwas and learned a thing or two through them.

>The reason why a disparity now exists is because the West admitted too many minorities, chiefly Middle Easterners and Blacks, into their general education system as a result of immigration in Europe and desegregation in the United States. As a results, standards have to be drastically lowered.
That's bs. It doesn't have to do anything with race. During Europe's imperial times only about 5% of the population went to uni, nowadays it's like 40%. So it's no wonder that uni in particular and the entire preparatory educational system before that in general went from elite tier to normal pleb tier. And that change is simply due to the fact that more and more jobs require high qualifications since most of the less demanding jobs, which in earlier times fed the bulk of the population in Western countries, got automated for the most part and the rest went to emerging economies.

our education is shit too, designed to eradicate individualistic thinking during childhood in order to produce mindless working drones serving for rich.

Most Japanese have no their own thoughts, completely directed by others. Western people are much more individualistic and likely human.

The West (especially Anglos) tend to have a very cartoon-like picture of East Asian societies

If a published paper is compelling enough in the scientific sphere it will gain attention regardless of language barrier.
As said and extending further out to asian culture in general, education there seems to starve out creative/abstract thinking in favor of simply rote memorization (i.e. becoming a machine of society). Just the idea of cram schools is laughable to me.
You can't really create worthwhile ideas anyways with such a system if you're only taught how things work, and not the reason why they work.

Many people here says that individualism erases humanism.

why are americans so fucking stupid?

>pisa mexican
One of the best posters.

too much of either does

It depends on the country, smaller nations like japan and korea might not have this luxury to indulge in individualism so much due to lack of natural resources and living space, but larger countries like china could circumvent this due to larger populations.

this really depends, if you like what you do, chances are you'll seek out yourself why they work, the number of people in this category are growing in asia.

But fundamentally it's not so much being taught how they work, its seeking out for yourself why and how they work

Because at the end of the day it's what comes out of the universities that matters.

American thinkers and entrepreneurs creating new industries VS replaceable Asian salarymen who all dress the same and can only follow orders

If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality since rates of population attending university has also gone up even more drastically over the same time.

The drop in education quality is entirely due to political imperative to dumb it down for minorities. You fucking, vegetarian, multicolor hair refugee-welcoming homosexual

Saturated fats clog the brain according to research. Also, bad genetics.

Japan is hardly small when compared to European nations. Singapore is comparable to Nordic countries in terms of population but we'll never produce an IKEA, LEGO or Nokia.

The people in the us who study stem are chinks who go to taiwan and design your motherboard., you ingrate. I went to the top canadian university and when I worked as a teaching assistant almost everybody was a chink.

We should not want to have a Nokia. Do you know how badly the collapse of Nokia fucked the Finnish economy in the 2000s? Its tech sector is only now recovering due to the start up revolution.

*almost every student

t. Chang

>We should not want to have a Nokia
This is the problem with Asians. Too afraid of risk.

Wow, i don't think i've ever actually witnessed IN PERSON this amount of retarded busy words.

>You know, the SMALL nations like Japan(127 million people)
>Yeah, they can indule in this "individualism" thing, but large nations like china, they just get to bypass it because google told me so...

japan is small in comparison, and sure it has a somewhat large landmass, but most of it is mountains , jungles or forests.

China is much more bigger, and has a less rigid society than japan.
most western countries have had a longer history with modern technology, and it's not like asia does'nt have its own tech powerhouses

Risk, like opening your asshole to refugees? The Europeans thought they could do it because it was only a little risk. Look at them now

We open our assholes to poos, pinoys and chinks. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

>trying to piss on asians by pulling up a prize that is weighed heavily for westerners
what happened to the intelligent germans in Sup Forums?

It wasn't only Nokia. Our paper industry made huge investments to printing paper in the decade before the crisis, since technological progress had meant more paper in the past (more newspapers, office printers, faxes etc.), but now it went to the polar opposite direction and they make their money by producing pulp which is the epitome of a cheap bulk produce. Furthermore our mechanical industries are focused on investment goods, such as factory machinery which really fucks us up during a global recession compared to economies with more weight on consumer products such as Sweden.

Fuck off PISA beaner.

Singapore and Macao are city size, smaller than Tokyo.
If we did the test in Tokyo only, the result is better than the one in Japan all.

idk the worst of two worlds are east Euro "schools".
They don't promote drinking/drugs/smoking but also do nothing to stop it, and don't really look down on it.
>girls as young as 14 go clubbing
>boys as young as 13 smoke
No discipline, yet no liberalism... rlly makes u think

south korean education is the worst because of bread shuttle?
m8 i also think korean education system is fucked but you got the wrong example
dont talk about bullying in front of Japan

We can't shove our retards into the countryside.

seems like thats just how they make their lives though
i dont think force them to be asian students would make them better and more productive people
thats just how average people of yours are imo

>We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work.
Correction: the people who succeed have a high scholastic aptitude. In short: they´re more intelligent than your average tradesman or lorry driver. This holds true in every society. The government does not discriminate or segregate in these matters, at least not significantly - large disparities in individual IQ does.

I wonder what's level of underreporting in different countries.

Wow, Canada

>We are never taught discipline and the only people who succeed are those who were brought up by parents who taught them hard work.

>implying you need parents to teach you discipline and hard work
Why don't you stop being a cuck? Or is this a European thing, where you have to be led around on a leash by your master to attain your "destiny"?

>If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality
They have.
The fact they are ahead in rankings like PISA compared to Western countries is due to two main reasons. First, the tests are taken at a time in life when they are all preparing to get the best results because it determines whether or not they will be accepted at the handful of top universities in their countries that they all wanna go to. Second, they are pressured by their parents to this gruesome learning regime in a quite extreme way, which can also be read in disproportionately higher sucuide rates compared to the West.

Do you love Japan? do you love memes?

>If that is the case, the Asian countries would have experienced a corresponding drop in education quality
Your kind never had and never will have quality tertiary or secondary education, because you were - and still are - stuck obsessing over the Chinaman-invented concept of advancement by superior rote memorization of details largely useless in the grand scheme of things.

>The drop in education quality is entirely due to political imperative to dumb it down for minorities.
The percentage of High School students taking AP classes hasn´t dropped noticeably over the recent few decades. Letting more people partake in the most simple courses legally available in institutions providing secondary education is not a mark of "dumbing it down", but rather a political necessity that has very little impact on the later educational success experienced by the brightest HS graduates.

>China is much more bigger, and has a less rigid society than japan.
China is as rigid as Japan in the areas of the country worth mentioning.

lel

This is accurate. Everyone say nice thing about Finnish education and I can say that Japanese don't spend as much time in school as you fag pretend to know. Except for cram school shitter, which personally I am against and tell everyone I know to fuck off and go play baseball instead.

Also, bottom tier like Thailand is also accurate. You have no idea how many years I have spent in Thailand and their education system.

Rather than improve the quality of teaching, Singaporean universities are gaming ranking metrics to look good.

The elites still send their kids to Western universities anyway, showing how much faith they have in local education.

theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/12/china-education-system/420234/

there is a gradual shift

I see this claim all the time always think it's bulllshit when you consider Japan's cultural and artistic output to any country in the West. I don't know what your education is like outside of anime, but every HS anime I see has art and cooking classes, two classes that have been drastically cut here in order to fit in more bullshit classes like social studies or more tests or even just more core classes like math because retards just can't understand the material.

Individualism is harmful when you don't have respect and discipline; every class here has that one asshole that constantly disrupts the lessons and ruins the flow of concentration and teaching. There are classes that I ended up hating, not because of the teacher or the subject, but because I knew that one asshole was going to be there and the teacher would constantly have to interrupt the class to deal with their bullshit.

it's not profitable enough of an interest for them to do so sadly, when you cram ~6 mill people into an island this happens

WTF!!!!

JAPAN IS OVER!!!!

It's lip service like Singapore. Culture is responsible for the obsession over good test results rather than actual learning. Singaporeans still study past year exam papers and what is likely to come out instead of trying to gain mastery over the subject.

>bread shuttle
How do you know that

I think the Korean army bullying is scarier. Is it true that superiors still punch and slap people?

Not anymore. Now you can get jailed for that

i doubt it, I personally want to gain mastery over AI, infosec and computing related stuff, and the PRC has much more to loose if they merely go with "lip service" given they have much more at stake than us

that was like 10 years ago i think
a friend of mine just called me who's in army now
he sounded just fine

asian insect mentality

be better than others or your life is worthless
children have to learn no matter if they like it or not
they cheat
and their parents beat them up

>Why is the education system so damn liberal in the West, and so stringent in the East?
It wasn't always like this. There are people in the Netherlands alive today who remember a time when teachers held strict discipline in class and could slam a wooden spoon on your hand if you were being disobedient (in France simply speaking any language other than French on school grounds [excepting classes treating foreign languages of course] was grounds for corporal punishment, would work great on Arabs I imagine!). Education was less accessible at the time but also strictly superior. Dutch university students at the time spoke okay-ish English and pretty solid French and German, and were expected to read books in all three languages. Nowadays the average Dutchman speaks just enough English to have a low level conversation while French and German are abandoned, and books in either of these three languages are barely read (yet for some reason we retain the reputation of learning a lot of languages).

The East has abandoned corporal punishment, but they are still "stuck" in the 1950s mindset in terms of education. In the meanwhile the West went for ~*POSTMODERNISM*~ and everything became about like, feelings man. And there was also the false dichotomy between skill and facts, leading to history being taught in such a way where you don't even need to remember dates.

>They never get to enjoy their youth
Psssh... why do you think so many anime take place in high school? That's actually the most relaxed it gets for the Nips. After entering the workforce it only gets worse and worse.

>PISA
Notice that it focuses on math, reading and science. The more objective oriented Asians focus on that a lot, while in the West a lot more emphasis is placed on wishy-washy nonsense.

>Culture is responsible for the obsession over good test results
As opposed to the Western satisfaction with barely sufficient scores.

Corporal punishment should be brought back to schools. They stopped here about 10 years ago except for the severest offences. It is only a matter of time before the classrooms become uncontrollable as in Europe, full of niggers and little Paki shits, or the US, where students openly defy the teachers and disrespect them. Teachers cannot do their job if their authority is undermined. Children must be beaten often and well.

youtube.com/watch?v=hAmFaDzy4vQ

yeah you very much talk like you know very well about asian life

working hard in school memorizing stuff sucks. Western got it right. Life isn't worth it just to