Why do Americans use month/day/year instead of day/month/year?

Why do Americans use month/day/year instead of day/month/year?

because it pisses off autists like you

Because they think they're special, which in all fairness they are. Just not in the way they think they are.

Wait, other countries do it wrong? Why the fuck for?

Is there some kind of mass inside joke that everyone's been really good at keeping up?

it should be day month year

fucking canada is a cluster fuck of M/D/Y, D/M/Y, Y/M/D, Y/D/M. literally everyday at work i have no idea what fucking date its supposed to say

Because it's better. June 27th 2016 just rolls of the tongue better that the 27th of June 2016

June 27th, 2016.

t.Patrick McMudhutt

Because it's a superior format. Also, I want to suck Selena Gomez's toes.

>Uses month/day/year
>Waheyy lad we are celebrating the 4th of July

You Americans are slow

Because if you were to say the current date you wouldn't say, "Today is the 27th day of June, 2016." You would instead say, "Today is June 27, 2016."

I think the better question is why does the rest of the world care so much how we record dates? Nothing better to worry about?

D/M/Y makes the most sense...

But M/D works well for filenames in a gallery if you want them in order.

It can be any day of the month any month, but only the current month can be the month.

Only southerners say that. Real Murrika says either July 4th or Independence Day.

Lame bantz

Because cunts like you dont like it

And what of the current year?

Because the only point of writing a full date is for times much later than the present. Otherwise you could just say "we'll meet on the 27th" with the current month being implied.

If I'm using a date to tell someone about an event, it means it's far away. When I say what month it's going to occur, it's meant to bring up a calendar in your head of that month. That's the most important piece of information, so it comes first.

I have lived in many countries and used both. Go with the flow wherever you are and things will be easy. Only thing I hate is using stones to weight in England. That shit is retarded.

'4th of July' is the title of a holiday

July 4th, 1776 is a date.

The only real Americans you have are southerners you cancerous faggot. If they had won you'd be in a much better place, in the ground with your Jew worshipping brethren.

Burger here, I'll admit it's stupid and often confused me when I was younger because day/month/year just made more sense.

C'mon now Patrick, you could've done better.

No everyone says 4th of July.

> South isn't real murrika

Alrighty.

>t. 92 IQ despite being over 95% "white"

The last real Irish fought for the Union.

I have an IQ in the 130 range.

Putting Month in front of Day immediately provides context for the time of year when you're reading - just a different way of processing the info.

IMO makes more sense than working backwards from day to month

>You Americans are slow

You potato niggers are alcoholics

That's because we have actually good drink while you lads drink piss.

T. Patrick McPotatohut

>you had one job

It orders things by the maximum value.

>12/31/9999

Plus, dates are usually spoken with the month, followed by the day, followed by the year here.

These kinds of post remind me of The Phantom Tollbooth

Months have holidays and weather. It sets the scene.

Maybe its time to unveil my Idea.

There's no way to make money off of it, so just save for posterity I guess.

Make the month a Roman numeral.

VI-27-16
27-VI-16

Its fucking obvious and I hate people.

so you allege...

Why doesn't everyone use ISO 8601?

June 28, 2016

6/28/2016

You just use numbers for what you would normally say . And saying the x of yth is some Renaissance fairy fantasy bullshit

Why doesn't everyone just use Unix epoch?

Came into thread to learn why. Dun learned.

You get the context of what season it is before what is essentially an arbitrary number only used to count down the amount of time until you go to a new month.

Do you read clocks SS:MM:HH? No, because it's hours that are the most important info because it tells info like temperature and lightness.

I don't know why people have such a hard time figuring this out. I thought about it for a total of 30 seconds once and it cleared up the question forever.

>he doesn't use lexicographical date schemes like YYYYMMDD
cmon son

I didn't know there was a set standard for us OP. Thanks...

>months: 1 to 12
>days: 1 to 31
>years: positive integers

>order from small to largest: month/day/year

Are you writing the script for Pulp Fiction 2?

it doesn't piss us off, it makes us wonder if your government thinks your citizens would be unable to cope with it.
Like how the publisher had to change the name of "Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone" to "Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone"...but only for the American market.

People were all like, "lol, 'philosopher' is too difficult for Burgers! lolx2"

Because that shit is unintelligible and you don't need the time of day anyway

Cuz freedom.
>drive on opposite side of road
>lbs. instead of kilos
>miles instead of kilometers
>pre emptive military strikes
>guns everywhere

Fuck the rest of the world.

Cuz fuck you, that's why

>>pre emptive military strikes
>>guns everywhere
MURRICA

wtf??
No, it's ALWAYS dd/mm/yy unless it's a form for a US company, then it's done burger-style (which is just an ugly mess).

Month/day/year is usually how you'd say or read it, ie, if someone asked me what day my birthday is I'd say it's June 23rd.

Day/month/year also makes sense since its arranged by increasing length, and you can also read it that way (23rd of June)

They're both fine. Not at all like posting a blue reaction on a red board.

DD-MM-YY is no more useful, intuitive, clear or calculable, probably. If you're not using YYYYMMDD, if doesn't really matter what you use; among the rest there's not much of a difference.

Because we say "June 28" not "28 June".

THIS.

You literally speak it the way Americans write it.

I like that

The month is the most important part of the date. January is very different from July, but January 1 is not much different from January 31.
Americans state the most important element first.

There are a couple of historical reasons to do so.

One thought about the origin of your m/d/y system was the slowness of mail service and the vastness of your country in the 18th century.

Letters would take a long time to be delivered, hence writing the month something was written in was more important than the day.

This is a tradition that made its way into your spoken language which is why you still say the date like August 15, 1945.

People do actually speak the date as d/m/y in my country. It's usually rendered as "28th o' June"

these. it's a more human/natural way of communication.

Why don't we just enumerate it as

JA FB MR AP MY JN JL AG SE OC NV DC

or something instead of 1-12 to settle any ambiguity

>if you want them in order.

Yeah, who would want that?

Can that pic be lightened up so you can see her box or is she weaeing something/its been edited out?

I do it like this:

28 June 2016

Probably just duo to military brainwashing though.

Why do Europeans use day/month/year instead of year/month/day master race?

Americans also start the week on Sunday, which is fucked up. Everyone else starts the week on Monday.

because fuck you that's why
inchs got us to the moon you metric loving fucks

It depends on the situation. dd/mm/yyyy if you're doing some kind of form, or looking at an electronic calander, m/d/y everywhere else.

Except that was more in relation to the fact that US publisher believed that no one in the US knew what the philosopher's stone was.

Not everyone. That's a modern European thing (begun in revolutionary France, IIRC). With three exceptions, (Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay) the whole of the Americas uses Sunday, as do South Africa, India, the Philippines, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan.

Historically, Europeans counted Sunday as the first day as well (as the Jewish and Christian religious calendars still do). The first day of the week in the classical Chinese calendar also corresponds to Sunday (it was only the communists who changed mainland China over to Monday-first).

Because most people organize things longterm by month, then day of the month, and then year. (in terms of importance)

Bugger logic

Bullshit. I live in NY and everyone refers to it as the 4th of July.

It goes from less to more specfic, but no one actually gives a shit about the year so we just stick it in the back

Because we say "October 1st" instead of "1st of October"

this, family

It has to do with linguistics and how we say it in English. In English we say the Month first followed by the other information.

In Romance languages they use the more "logical" one hence "Cinco de Mayo" in Spanish (five of May). Or in French and Italian you'd say "Aujourd'hui est le 7 Juin, 2016", "
Oggi è il 7 giugno 2016."

>Living in a place where everyone is so retarded that the general public doesn't know what "philosopher" means

Except that's an American thing, too.

A Brit would be more likely to say "the 28th of June," rather than "June 28th." Even in America, really formal documents traditionally tend to use this format, and Independence Day is colloquially spoken of as "the 4th of July," more often than "July 4th."

People know what "philosopher" means, just maybe not "philosopher's stone."

Why do americans have such a hard time admitting that you are retarded?

Is it because when you were a kid, they would force you to pledge allegiance to the flag every single day, even though you are supposed to be free, and then they taught you that America is the best country even though when it comes to the first world, its average at best?

Maybe it is the stone of a philosopher.

Is that too complicated?

Order of importance.

Month:
>do i have to put on a sweater when i go outside
Day:
>what do i do once i'm outside
Year:
>how old am i

The butt hurt coming from Mexico this past year or so is glorious. America is flawed as hell, but it's one of the only experiments still capable of being salvaged.

But you know that, Paco. It's why your family is here.

Go get butt fucked by the cartels faggot.

Fahrenheit isn't arbitrary, either.

0°F is the nominal freezing point of seawater (technically, it's the temperature of a solution of pure water ice and salt in 1:1 ratio). And there are quite deliberately 180 degrees between the thawing and boiling points of fresh water.

It's a specific concept from medieval alchemy, though, and it has fuck-all to do with your average philosopher today.

yyyy-mm-dd

Thanks for the clarification.

Either way, starting the week on Sunday is fucked up. Saturday and Sunday are the WEEKEND, so Sunday must be, by definition, the end of the week, right?

Not only is this seriously fucked up from a calendaring perspective...but it's just plain un-American, too.

Sorry Pablo I can't hear you over the sound of the construction of our beautiful wall.

Every temperature system is pretty fucking arbitrary. Why isn't 0 degrees the freezing point of sodium pentachlorate? Or Pablo's tears?

All right, i don't care about the insults.

But answer me this: What do you US citizens mean when you say america is the greatest country on earth?

You are not the happiest country, you are not the biggest, or the smartest, you dont have the biggest GDP, you don't have the largest life expectancy, most of you hate your government and the general population.

Since all of that is true, what do you mean with, "america is the greates country in the world"?

Do you just like the geographical position?

Thus, but only because it would be funny to watch dumb people fuck it up

>DMV dis La'Trine
>Hi, can I schedule an appointment?
>Kay, we gots one on da foufa ex
>Sorry?
>Nigga you ears work? Foufa ex, Ex da fouf. Or we gots veee twunny tree

whats even more retarded is that amerifats worship common core and think the rest of the world is stupid for not using it

Guess what, Pedro? Your language is the language of drug cartels.

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar.

(The cockroach, the cockroach
Now he can't go traveling
Because he doesn't have, because he lacks
Marijuana to smoke.)

Don't worry m8, just keep sending white girls every summer to get fucked like you always have.

We don't think we're the greatest country on earth, Pablo. That's why the slogan is "Make America Great AGAIN." I know this might be a difficult concept for you to understand. The word again means to return to a previous position. Now return to your previous position and keep building our god damn wall.

>Sunday must be, by definition, the end of the week, right?
It is. It's the FRONT end.

Saturday is the BACK end.

One might argue that the choice of water is the most sensibly obvious and convenient one, and therefore not arbitrary at all. At any rate, the point is that it's no more arbitrary than Celsius or Réaumur.

>Selena Gomez
She has herpes

Build that fucking wall, paco.

OT: A better question is why are non-americans so hot and bothered