ITT: Underated masterpieces

ITT: Underated masterpieces

Also

>something like 65% on rotten tomatoes and under an 8 on imdb

Literally how ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice_in_Maya_culture#Heart_removal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The whole movie is just running in the jungle and the panther at the end looked like shit

But the Revenant was EPIC

pukey blue digital piss and crawling through the forest is EPIC

poopy pocalypto was poopy tho :((((((

I'm sure it is merely a coincidence

t. Underage "where's muh marvel cgi" pleb

>Literally how ?
well, he did said some really bad things about you know who

Highly inaccurate historically wise. But if you can get past that, just kind of an extended chase sequence.

How so?

Give some examples? I'm going to rewatch this movie and I want to look out for these inaccuracies. All I remember is that the movie shows how brutal aztec people were before they became civilized by whites. I don't remember any specific characters or events that actually happened in the movie that were supposed to be historical.

basically it mixes some of the classical period of maya and inserts them into the late period, so the giant maya cities really only existed in that size in the classical period but there were definitely still some big settlements left. Historybuff did a critique of it and while he had some points it was highly hyperbolic and many responses has been made to that video so don't expect that to be the full truth either.

If you accept that they take elements from the classical period and put them in the late one then it's really not that inaccurate at all.

Passion of Christ was an even greater masterpiece by Based Mel. It has under 50% on Rotten Tomatoes. The cinematography blows pretty much every other 00s film out of the water, and it is among the most powerful movie I have ever seen.

hey fag did you know NONE of the dinos from Jurassic park are actually from the Jurassic period either? guess you should go hate that movie too now

Cool. From my understanding (came from Age of Empires 2, not going to lie), the incan/mayans weren't as hostile as aztec culture became with the human sacrifice and forcing neighboring tribes to become slaves. Do you know if that's true or has middle american native american culture always been so bloody violent?

This really needs a Criterion release

>hey fag
I just wrote in my post that I find the critique levied against the film to be hyperbolic, in fact it's one of my favorites. I sincerely hope that you're just emulating some guy who would say these types of things, because if so, yes, your example of jurassic park is just as ridiculous.

>buttblasted Mel dicksucking
How come you guys always suck at reading?

One thing the movie got wrong was the eclipse. Mayans excelled at astronomy, they would have seen it coming

Ong Bak 2 is bsaically a better version of this

>NONE of the dinos from Jurassic park are actually from the Jurassic period either
compsognatus, stegosaurus, dilophosaurus

I'm fairly sure the movie had a POINT and a MESSAGE besides the historical atmosphere, which was still very well done with 10/10 costumes-
Anyway, Maya did do sacrifices as proven by a somehow modern excavation(2009) behind the pyramid of the moon.

It's an okay movie at best

i watched that bbc4 thing too

they did take pows and sacrifice them like the aztec, they were also influenced by the same sacrifical rites as them in the later period
>During the Postclassic period (c. 900–1524) the most common form of human sacrifice was heart extraction, influenced by the method used by the Aztecs in the Valley of Mexico;[1] this usually took place in the courtyard of a temple, or upon the summit of the pyramid-temple.[6] The sacrifice was stripped and painted blue, which was the colour representing sacrifice, and was made to wear a peaked headdress. Four blue-painted attendants representing the four Chaacs of the cardinal directions stretched the sacrifice out over a convex stone that pushed the victim's chest upwards;[7] An official referred to as a nacom in Landa's Relación de las cosas de Yucatán used a sacrificial knife made from flint to cut into the ribs just below the victim's left breast and pull out the still-beating heart.[8]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice_in_Maya_culture#Heart_removal
but in the scene where it happens, the one carrying out the sacrifices is exchanging knowing looks with the chieftan and then looks at the rambling madman, after which he starts walking forward and points to the emerging eclipse, implying that they really DO know what's happening and are controlling the people this way.

this is trash

Forgot to add, yes, the violence of the aztecs to other tribes was real; part of the reason they succumbed was other tribes (especially tlaxcala) helping the spaniards. They even had "floral wars" which was basically declaring war at someone you're at peace with.

I think Apocalypto is the cosiest jungle related movie there is. Definitely has perfect pacing. No segment of the movie felt too drawn out or excessive to me. It flows very nicely with a simple but tenderly told story.

Only the slave/sacrifice scene in the city was good.
The chase after it was boring, and the tribe scenes before the battle was cringey as fuck.

Guess you two have a lot on common

Pic related never wrong

>Mayans committing Aztec-style sacrifices
>Mayans living as hunter-gatherers
>Mayans suffering from smallpox
>Mayans meeting the Spanish conquistadors

It was a fucking mess.

Imagine a movie about the Vikings who worshipped Greek gods at the Parthenon while suffering from SARS and being invaded by the Bolsheviks.

>tfw the movie is out of print and you have to pony up $40+ dollars for it

What other movies are there that take place in mesoamerica before the European invasion?

Disney/DreamWorks Crossover cinematic universe when?

Switch them to Aztecs by name in the film description and replace smallpox with generic plague and the historical accuracy is no longer compromised nearly as much

It was inaccurate as fuck. Sup Forumsbeards just bone it because Mel Gibson cried about Jews while drunk.

I mean it isn't a bad movie either, it's passable/alright. The 65% RT rating fits.