letterboxd.com/a7xfan/
youtube.com/watch?v=aZJiqsOllGQ
letterboxd.com/Quimerinha/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fake thread

no one respond

fake thread

no one respond

why's a 7/10 movie getting so much praise?

white people

fuck white people

Who wants to see Edward Meme's newly restored Taipei Story at BAM in March with me?

>DCP
into the trash it goes.

if you're going to see an old movie that's not on 35, what's the point?

Fuck Drumpf and fuck whitey!!

>Taipei Story
expect a Criterion blu-ray out later this year, per their montly newsletter clue

WHAT'S UP FAGS

WHAT'S UP FAGS

Hou Hsiao-Hsien is a meme

taiwan is a meme

Tsai Ming-liang > those other two Taiwamemes

better than not seeing it all, dummy

mainland > taiwan

Classic Japan > HK/Taiwan > mainland > SE Asia > Korea > New Japan > India

>japanese cinema
>no conception of the numinous
>memes

>chinese kinema
>conception of the numinous
>better memes

>SE Asia
so that's Apichatpong Weerasethakul and...?

Big Al is enough to crush the japanese and korean scum

Mainland China hasn't made a good film since Ruan LingYu died.

low IQ post

low iq reply

Ratanaruang, Yuzna, and Ismail

letterboxd.com/a7xfan/
hey everybody! i'm a7xfan!

Filipino cinema: Brocka, Diaz, Mendoza

Sucker Punch is legitimate kino tho

lol YES thank you it's a very smart movie

youtube.com/watch?v=aZJiqsOllGQ

Prove it, LARPer

isn't Brian Yuzna white? he was born in the Philippines because his dad was stationed there in the marines or something.

what's a larper

letterboxd.com/Quimerinha/
Has anyone here watched 400+ movies in a year?

I-is that even possible?

I'm personally aiming for the 365 but i don't doubt it.

In 2015 I watched 538 features but dropped to 390 features in 2016

What's your letterboxd?

You'll never know hehehe

): is there a secret club if i go 400+?

Holy mother of all Embryos!

Holy mother of all Embryos!

How new are you?

i watched 60 movies in January (though i doubt i'll keep that pace for the year)

400 should be a breeze for someone out there with a tonne of free time

Previous thread: (Please link this in the OP, in future)

They tryna sell Stone as some new Garland? Lmao fucking kill yourself Hollywood

Don't bullying us please

799 films in 2016

i ended up deleting my main so idk how many of those were shorts. probably no more than 100 but who knows

movie of the month: get carter (1971)

kys

A "movie buff" acquaintance literally told me that La La Land is the best musical ever made

embryo of the month: (2017)

They are right. Jacques Demy and Robert Wise have already been surpassed.

I get that every month, but thanks I guess

Exactly!

Also,
CURRENT THREAD!!: It's very important to do that!

yuge if true

Both of those are Embryo shit but still better than Chazelle. Musical director ranking.
Bergman >>>>Pabst >>> that embryo shit >>>>>Chazelle

Stop saying imbecilities

(You)

Stop being an embryo.

You're the embryo here

January
1- The Haunted Palace - Great film. It only uses the most basic premise from the Lovecraft story, but it's a very entretaining movie, with a great performance (as expected) by Price and some really fine work from Corman behind the camera. The sequence where Leo Gordon is attacked is brilliant.

2- From Beyond - Pacing is all over the fucking place but it's a very fun movie, like all of Gordon's HPL adaptations. It has jack shit to do with the original story, plot and tone wise, like all of Gordon's HPL's adaptations.

3- L'isola Degli Uomini Pesce - It starts quite interesting, with an attempt to create a mysterious atmosphere around the island, but it quickly moves into a silly adventure that's not as amusing as its monsters design. Still worth a watch if you're a Martino fan, or just a fan of Italian schlock in general, I guess.

4- Marebito - The first part of the movie is really good. Every time you think you know where it's going, it moves in a different direction, making you feel just as uneasy as the main character. Then, once the girl shows up, it just becomes a pretty dull, run of the mill j-horror movie. It would've been a great short film.

5- The Whisperer In Darkness - Surprisingly well made movie. It's obviously a low budget affair, but I feel it's much less amateurish than Call of Cthulhu. The climax is pretty silly and unlovecraftian but it's still a pretty fun little movie. I can see this working better with non-fans than COC, even though as a fan myself, I do like that one better.

6- Out Of Mind - It has the same fault pretty much all HPL adaptations have and that is that it uses Lovecraft's themes, characters, plots but none of the atmosphere. Not to say this doesn't have any atmosphere at all, but it's certainly not very lovecraftian. It's still quite enjoyable and its short length keeps it from reaching the napcore fate than most of HPL's adptations seem to be doomed to.

7- Cthulhu - Pretty fun if you're into small town amateur filmmaking, I certainly expected way worse. The locations and sountrack are pretty good, actually. It does start to drag after the 40 minute mark or so (as most of this kind of films do halfway through) but this was short enough not to get too boring. Not an actually good film, but I enjoyed it.

8- Prison - Entretaining enough movie with a pretty dumb script elevated by good performances and great death scenes/special fx. The female lead was as fucking annoying as she was in Dust Devil, though. We get some Viggo buttock but no dick this time.

9 - A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge - very dull quick cashgrab sequel. I've been told some of the other sequels are actually good, so I'm gonna give them a shot anyway, but this was just shit. Bonus points for the Bobby O. song though.

10 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - Way better than the second part. It goes into a slump around the time the kid goes into a coma, and while it does pick up again at the end, it doesn't quite live up to the great first part. It's certainly worth watching for some really great dream sequences and death scenes. Also, I didn't remember Heather Langenkamp being that ugly, but at least we got dreamy John Saxon to make up for it.

11 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - And it goes down again. The first hour is just uredeemable shit. Horrible dialogue, crappy acting, forced pop songs every other scene, and worst of all, boring nightmare/death sequences. It does pick up in the last 30 minutes when they let Screaming Mad George do what he does best (the soul pizza, cockroach and freddy's death scenes were really great). Still not enough to make it a good movie, but I guess it puts it one step ahead from part 2.

12 - A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child - Well, I don't know if I'd say I liked this better than part 3, but so far it's the only one that kept me entretained all the way through. It's pretty short and wastes no time in teen drama bullshit and self-help dialogue like the other ones. I really enjoyed the asylum setting and the overall more gothic atmosphere and imagery, and I think it kept a good balance between the creepy and the silly stuff. Plus, it's got Schoolly fuckin' D!

13 - Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - The final of the Nightmare movies I hadn't seen before. You could go pretentious and said this was the best one, at least in a "meta" way, since it's so poorly written, directed and acted that it feels like a bad dream. However, it's just a shitty movie but at least it's pretty funny most of the time. Just for that I'd place it above part 2, and maybe even above part 4.

14 - Leptirica - I enjoyed the exotic and fairy tale-like atmosphere, but I feel like I missed something for not being familiar with the original story/legend. There are a few things that aren't explained because they're probably obvious for the people from the Balkans that watch the movie, but certainly weren't obvious enough for me. Is not that I really needed to know every single detail to enjoy it, but I felt somewhat left out. Still, an enjoyable, somewhat unique short movie that worked out just fine to break away from all the 80s cheese from the Freddy movies. The setting, the monster and the use of humor kinda reminded me of The She Beast, but without the mandatory and usually anoying element of "the foreigner".

Combo breaker

*4/10

15 - Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Great film. Of course, it doesn't really live up to its "shocking" reputation nowadays, but it's a very good film anyway. I loved how low key camerawork, acting and soundtrack were. It doesn't try too hard to be shocking, and because of that it really pulls you in and makes you feel interested in these characters, and not just in what they do. It's one of the few films I've watched lately that I kinda wish was longer, I could've kept watching for another hour, easily. I might be overrating it a bit because it's the first actually good, "serious" film I've watched in a long time but I really loved it.

16 - The Asphyx - Terrible napcore film. Every time the story seemed to get to a point where it could turn somewhat interesting, it went in the most contrived, dumb, and worst of all, boring and uninteresting direction it could. The endless dull dialogue and boring actors didn't help one bit either. They couldn't even pick nice looking ladies to look at. The Asphyx itself was pretty nice though.

17- The Devil's Rain - Pretty much the opposite of The Asphyx. Short, to the point, carried along by a great over the top performance from the always reliable Ernest Borgnine. The story is complete nonsense but it makes for a pretty entretaining movie, with plenty of colorful 70s occult imagery. It does suffer a bit when Tom Skerritt takes over the lead from Shatner, and the final melting scene goes for way too long but it's certainly worth a watch for Bornigne alone. And that final shot.

18 - Inferno In Diretta - Gory and violent actioner from Ruggero Deodato that sadly gets quite dull any time there's no violence on screen. The gore alone makes it worth watching, and Simonetti's score is good but the story and characters are just boring. Richard Lynch (who plays the only somewhat interesting character in the whole movie) is criminally underused. The movie also seemed to have a higher budget than most italian exploitation movies, but it only helps it to feel more like a wasted oportunity.

19 - Vampyr - I think the subtitle (Der Traum Des Allan Gray) describes the movie better than the actual title, since it's more interested in creating a dreamlike feel rather than a strictly horror one, with plenty of surrealistic imagery and sequences. And I don't mean anything bad by pointing this out, since it's a brilliant movie. Some scenes, like the one legged shadow coming back to its owner, are excellent. A real classic.

20 - Tourist Trap - Very goofy TCM/Psycho knockoff made enjoyable by a couple of creepy scenes, a great setting, and most of all, a very fun performance by Chuck Connors.

21 - The Reincarnate - If there was ever any perfect example of a napcore movie, then this would be it. I downloaded it because I saw its trailer as a teenager and it stuck with me forever. It had melancholic music, an ominous voiceover and absolutely nothing interesting happening on screen, and that's exactly what I got, so I guess I can't complain.

22 - The Dead Pit - Good bad movie, with a very dumb script, terrible acting, and cheap fx. The cinematography, with lots of tilted, high and low angle and wide lens shots, along with a unnaturalistic lighting full of greens, blues and reds gives it a comic book-like feel that makes it quite enjoyable. Still, like plenty of these movies, it's too long for its own good. This kinda stuff shouldn't go beyond 80-85 minutes.

23 - Piedone L'africano - Saw this with my nephew, who's a big Bud Spencer fan. These international sequels aren't as fun as the first Flatfoot movie was (which might be my favorite Bud Spencer solo movie), but it's ok. It stays entretaining enough all the way through, which isn't too bad considering it's nearly 2 hours long.

24 - Cannibal Girls - Merely ok self aware drive-in fare, driven by the funny improvised dialogue and performances by the two leads. The very thin plot completely runs out of steam at the 60 minute mark though, so even at 82 minutes it feels plods to get to a very underwhelming ending. Not a classic by any means but not a total bore like most exploitation movies from this era.

25 - La Casa 3 - Pretty funny Italian B movie (although calling it "B" might be overrating it a little). It's got everything you'd expect from this kinda film: senseless plot, awkward dialgoue, shitty acting and cheap fx. Seeing Donal O'Brien in this was simultaneously nice and sad.

26 - La Casa 4 - It's kinda weird that first timer Fabrizio Laurenti managed to make a more professional looking movie than the much more experienced Lenzi did in the previous one, aided by better lead actors and almost none that weird version of English that the Italians usually have in their movies (note that when I say "more professional" and "better actors", it's just in comparison to the Lenzi film). However, this actually plays against the movie, and instead of having the amusing clusterfuck of La Casa 3, we just get a mediocre, mostly boring attempt at a spooky film, so I guess Lenzi wins anyway. The fireplace scene was pretty good and deserved to be in a better movie, though.

27 - La Casa 5 - This is a Fragasso/Drudi joint so my expectations were pretty high. Sadly, they weren't met. This is just a plain bad movie, with pretty much no entretainment value at all. Certainly not at the level of Troll 2 or After Death.

28 - The Thing - I don't think I need to say anything about this one. Still a favorite after all these years.

29 - Street Soldiers - Cartoony street gang movie that's nothing but a bunch of street brawls, with some awful dialogue to stitch them together and the highest amount of montage sequences that I've ever seen in a single movie. Jeff Rector was pretty great as the over the top villain, I need to see him in more movies.

30 - The Fog - I didn't remember this one being so slow. It's probably the weakest of Carpenter's great 80s run, but still a good movie. It's got some pacing problems, mostly due to the plot needing only 6 murders and half of them ocurring in a single scene (such a great scene though). Also, the Janet Leigh character could've been taken off the movie and we'd have to deal with less pointless yapping padding the movie's runtime, or at least they could've killed her to give us a moment of relief.

31 - Highway to Hell - The script isn't as clever as it think it is, and in some parts you can hear the writer patting himself on the back so hard it's kinda annoying. The acting didn't help much either, most of it was pretty shitty. Luckily, the director got a big hand from the art and FX departments and the movie is visually entretaining enough to make it watchable.

32 - Dead Of Night - Decent but rather harmless anthology from Dan Curtis and Richard Matheson. It's probably worth watching for the last segment alone, which is nothing really original or groundbreaking but it's well shot and suspenseful. I thought it felt rather familiar and it turns out that they reused it for Trilogy Of Terror II, which I saw many years ago and barely remember.

33 - Legion Of The Night aka Dead City - Fun STV crap, with an army of robo-zombie-ninjas that shoot sideways. Everyone's a tough guy with an attitude, and the bad guy spends the last part of the movie trying to sound menacing with a midget voice. Starring Ron Asheton from The Stooges.

HOLY....

This is not your fucking blog, embryo piece of shit

fucking stop, you autist

34 - Hellmaster - Why?

Good to see someone still cares about film.....

Where?

redpill me on embryos

profile?

I was being sarcastic

Sure

I wish I could write little reviews like this dude. It's really difficult for me to write down my impressions of a film

Write something about the last film you watched

I literally can't write a single sentence without cringing hard and deleting it

Just try user.

That's good behavior, congrats.
If people did more of that, things wouldn't be so shit here and there.

CURRENT THREAD!!: Mucho importante

TELLING THE TRUTH CAN BE BAD FOR BUSINESS
HONEST AND POPULAR DON'T GO HAND IN HAND

agreed, particularly those hurrdurr ur a embryo kiddies. Maybe they just need more hugs from mommy?

Good thread today, lads.

The Moonlight (2016) only shines from a half-moon for me. Basically because I dislike how directors today compete over who can be the most vague with their storytelling. I've rambled about this before and here I go again.

We are in a generation without a soundtrack. Just think of the 60s and what made those films feel so damn cool. Or the jazz infested films before that. Or the synths of the 80s. Now it's all about creating an ambiance. Whatever cool music there is it only serves as fragments to break the monotone sounds with the flow of imagery, in what's basically become storytelling in slow montages where acting has been transformed into staying mostly mute while posing, expressing emotion so subtle that there's nothing there in the bland and pointless world of the camera.

I'm not saying the story is pointless. I appreciate that one. It's sweet in a confused environment. It's just the way it's told in caricatures which make it such. But that's todays generation for you. Less is less, and less is good, because, by God, if we would want to provoke any emotion outside of our introvert way of communicating.

Please, every thread is always shit, there's no other scenario.
Good one on saving it, buddy boy

>I'm not saying the story is pointless. I appreciate that one. It's sweet in a confused environment. It's just the way it's told in caricatures which make it such. But that's todays generation for you. Less is less, and less is good, because, by God, if we would want to provoke any emotion outside of our introvert way of communicating.
This doesn't transition into the next thought very well.

These posts were annoying but I would absolutely follow him if he had a letterboxd and logged films like that as he watched

Any recommendations for people that leave 1 paragraph thoughts of everything they watch?

lol whatever buddy

Dumb lolbuddy poster

"you cannot be proud of being white & not be a racist. it's a tautology. you can be proud of your irish heritage. you can be proud of your german heritage. you can be proud of your lutheran heritage or your appalachian roots or your large italian family's sunday gravy tradition. you cannot be proud of your *white* heritage b/c there is no such thing. whiteness only exists as a power relationship. a system of domination is not a culture to take pride in unless you are an asshole." - k.m.

>With apologies, a white girl is going to talk about jazz: As I am given to understand, jazz was, more or less (because of bad record keeping at the time, the birth certificate of jazz is unclear on the precise location--white people demanding the full length version think it will reveal it was born in Omaha, but we all know better) born in a New Orleans flophouse, as known Caucasian Ryan Gosling says (thank you, nevin), failing to ever actually really explain it well. He mentions that the people didn't even speak the same language. He doesn't mention they weren't white. He doesn't mention what brought many of them there is that their ancestors were stolen from their homes and dragged across an ocean to be enslaved. He doesn't mention that jazz was appropriated by white musicians and white record executives and white club owners and white listeners; when confronted with the stereotypical blandness of Kenny G, he refers to passion and emotion and so on, but he doesn't talk about appropriation and history and how race played such a huge part in it all.

>Some people will dismiss something as "too white." I will sign on: this film is too white. This is not a cultural designation; this is a note about how this film has no awareness of its cultural appropriation. This is a note about how this film sidelines every person of color. This is a note about how this film presents two main characters who replace personality with cuteness, whose entire arcs are predictable, starving artist tropes drawn from the aforementioned lowest common denominator, bland faces on bland plots on bland themes, and yet they are lauded and loved and celebrated and awarded for it. This is a note about how this film steals mythologies from black musicians and posits a white guy as some sort of passionate savior of jazz (in his own small way) while having judgment for a black man trying to make a living off a (supposedly) more accessible style.