A robot apocalypse now a step closer after an AI downs human fighter pilot expert in a Dogfight

>First the robots beat us at Go, now they beat us at what humans do best: killing things.Artificial intelligence researchers at the University of Cincinnati recently pitted an AI against a human tactical expert in a combat simulation, and the AI emerged victorious.
>Retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee, an Air Battle Manager with “considerable fighter aircraft expertise,” went head to head with an AI opponent called ALPHA in an air combat simulator, and from his first encounter with the AI, Lee said he knew he was in trouble.
>“I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was,” Lee said. “It seemed to be aware of my intentions and reacting instantly to my changes in flight and my missile deployment. It knew how to defeat the shot I was taking. It moved instantly between defensive and offensive actions as needed.”

Other urls found in this thread:

magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/alpha.html
popsci.com/ai-pilot-beats-air-combat-expert-in-dogfight?src=SOC&dom=tw
waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jaOJuQjstbs
youtube.com/watch?v=Qb5UIPeFClM
youtube.com/watch?v=bMXPyKYY0u8
youtube.com/watch?v=goPki_V34xA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> takes advantage of a programming method called genetic fuzzy systems, a complicated concept that allows the AI to evaluate a wide range of data to determine the best course of action in the moment. The researchers behind the project explained in an academic paper that this system allows ALPHA to make decisions that are effective even if they are not perfect.
>“For example, an air-to-air missile does not need to perfectly penetrate the cockpit and physically strike the pilot of an aircraft, and finding a course of action (CoA) that utilizes 0.05 milligrams less fuel to complete an objective is not mission critical,” the researchers said in their paper, which was published in the Journal of Defense Management. “A learning system that could guarantee obtaining these solutions would be computational [sic] intractable and would never provide an answer.”
>According to the researchers, Lee failed to kill ALPHA a single time over the course of multiple simulations, and the AI managed to defeat him every single time.
>“I go home feeling washed out,” Lee said at the end of the experiment. “I’m tired, drained and mentally exhausted. This may be artificial intelligence, but it represents a real challenge.”

Robots have been beating human pilots at "dogfighting" for decades. They're called missiles.

Bullshit.

Source? Sounds like bullshit

that looks like a unicorn dildo
ayyy

This has a lot of potential actually.
Currently the f-22 is only limited in performance by the fact it will kill it's own pilot by the forces involved. An AI could use it (or another specifically designed craft) to its full inhuman potential.

magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/alpha.html

popsci.com/ai-pilot-beats-air-combat-expert-in-dogfight?src=SOC&dom=tw

When will you people learn:
waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

Good. Let the robots take over and destroy everything.

And remember a Cincinnati student built Alpha AI, just imagine what the American industrial compex can create, with their billions of funding and thousands of top AI/machine learning engineers.

>Computer beats a human in computer shit
It's like being surprised a calculator can answer an equation faster than you.

Duh

Obviuosly, a robot plane will always be better than a human one.

The last human fighter pilot has already born.

That will be the last one. Probably will die figthing against a drone.

implying they don't all ready have

Not relevant. A competently built robot plane will have many advantages over human pilots, G-force being one.
Dog-fighting is not the pinnacle of human existence.

don't let the robotic jew seduce you. sexbots and such may sound good, but that is how they will enslave us.

i'm hyped to see what deep learning looks like playing starcraft, i wanna see it wreck an 80 fingered korean

Humans are overrated. We are just bags of ,eat and guys, always limited by our biology.

>Simulator

Have you ever played against CSGO Bots on the hardest level? Have you ever turned the corner and immediately gotten 1 shot because the Bots literally know where you are and what you're doing? It's like that. But in a plane simulator. Put them in real planes, where neither can 100% predict, and know, what the other is going to do, and then we'll really know.

CSGO bots are hardy compareable to this kind of thing

I doubt that these scientists fooled themselfs and let the AI cheat.

But yeah you still have a point a Simmulator is not the same as reality.

No shit, AI dogfights will be insane, no human element limiting the design of the aircraft.

Even if this was true...

AI isn't nearly advanced enough to make good decisions.
They have no morals, everything would be an equation.

At most AI would be used in air to air combat against human pilots.
But on the other hand human pilots aren't susceptible to computer viruses.

Just think about how much space, power and useless electronics can be scrapped when designers and engineers no longer have to take care of a super fragile meatbag.

I'll just leave this here:

youtube.com/watch?v=jaOJuQjstbs

I for one embrace the future where AI has control of all the fighter jets

Macross tier dogfights when?

>implying morals aren't part of any equation used by humans to weight the pros and cons
kys

I doubt the jet would need to be controlled by an AI to be hacked in this age.

Kek

Godspeed robot Nazis.

I doubt a jet in this day and age would need to be controlled my an AI to be hacked.

>implying we all have utilitarian morals

GEt the fuck out

>women in combat roles

Never.

The "AI" was just reading his input.

Non-story. This has been done in video games for decades.

Well, they were looking for public attention and now they got it.

The robot wasn't relying on what it was "seeing". I'm fairly certain it was reacting to input changes from the pilot.

Now we just need naval and land AI and we can get rid of the human plague.

I haven't played counterstrike in years but I bet I can still solo 15 bots

R A R E

Junker shouldnt you be fucking merkel now?

The aimbot years were tough times.

It will be interesting to see how jets change once they no longer need to be built with a cockpit or regard for G force.

However if you're removing humans from the equation why have jets at all? Just give the missile platform the ai and control of the drones and all forms of airborne warfare will be obsolete.

>Killbot beats aging wage slave who hasn't flown anything but a desk in 20 years in single combat

How can meatbags even compete?

>literally placing moral above everything even when it's not efficient because "muh i don't wanna feel dirty"

Guess it's hard to get out of mom's apron

human arrogance will ultimately be our undoing

having done a tiny amount of very simple AI programming, this doesn't surprise me at all. with a well-designed AI, if you give it the input and processing power it needs to perform a task, it will perform the task. genetic algorithms are uncanny at btfo of the task once its been "learned," and they'll just keep getting better and better. processing power was the bottleneck for decades, but that's no longer true and real-time AI has arrived
youtube.com/watch?v=Qb5UIPeFClM
youtube.com/watch?v=bMXPyKYY0u8

its called a drone m8

have you ever played ace combat?
AI's have been downing human pilots for decades now.
It just so happened this video game player had some irl fly time.

NOTHING to see here, move along.

>a programming method called genetic fuzzy systems
>genetic fuzzy systems
Im fucking done. I welcome our robot deaths.
who the fuck named it fuzzy systems?

>who the fuck named it fuzzy systems
Some nerd who lives in a 20 square meter apartment and spends most of his time in dark smelly university basements filled with the whirring of computers and the gentle pitter-patter of people studying gender studies above him.

AKA literally the people who will change the world.

You just described my math class..
The computers and lights drive me nuts. I go somewhere else to get away from that shit.

How would it do in real life? In this it can read what it's doing. Essentially fighting rugal in kof on extreme.
How will it know in what direction the enemy pilot is turning irl when it's on its tail.

depends on the exact mechanics of it, if it was taking cleaned up data with no incorrect updates, there's still a long way to go. if it was instead taking raw data (dunno how'd they do that in a computer simulation but i digress) it's a lot more impressive.

ITS TIME

Any virus that would be capable of downing an aircraft would do it throughthe actual computer systems within the aircraft, not some boxed off ai controlling them.
I wonder if combat ai will use triple redundancy like flight computers do?

World of tanks, warship and planes to be taken over by bots when?

Their advantage is 1) low cost 2) the ability to make 20g turns though isn't it? SAMs aren't that smart

>But in a plane simulator.
Plane simulators include simulation of sensors. Planes there are not omniscience. Even more funny they run ALPHA in planes with worst radar, they still win. In terms of CSGO you play with wallhack against bots without one and still losses....

>now they beat us at what humans do best: killing things

Good. Now we just need a horde of killer robots and we can finally rid the world of the scourge of niggers, kikes and muslims without having to leave the basement

>Tfw future drone combat will be decided by privilege checking

This

>Put AI in plane
>Hack plane from cellphone while taking a dump

AI always lose when there's no rules

Planes are controlled by computers for 30 years already. Don't see any F-16 hacked by dump cellphones. There were more human pilots defectors during this period.

a buggy sack of fucking shit that constantly mistakes the ground for the sky desu

This is such bullshit.

Yeah you can beat any pilot in a simulation because the AI wont need any sensors but can just use the programs code to know where the human pilot is and cheat to win.

Now good luck fitting an actual plane with passive sensors that can just pick up enemy fighters in a 360 degree radius at all times.

>dogfighting
>flaps still raised

What, Junker, what is it that you want, since you got dubs.

Heh, this is only what they allow to be known. The truth would blow you away.

What's it written in?

It's basically going to be just a flying automatized gun. Horrifying thought. Some models are compact enough to be able to follow you inside a building.

Smartphones are like what, 10 years old?
And how long have we had good internet connections? Since when has hacking been recognized to have warfare potential instead of being used to spy?
Assange used to move NASA satellites from his Australian shitposting HQs in the young 90s

Not to forget you need WIFI to use internet in your bathroom, which is also relatively new

Python

That tells me all I need to know about why it is buggy.
It also tells me that ALPHA is babbymode compared to AI that already exists KEK

>why it is buggy.
But user, ALPHA is just the alpha.

It's only going to get buggier when it become BETA kek.
Fucking FORCED INDENTATION OF THE CODE is a namespace, code readability, and abstraction building nightmare, among many other things, but I LOVE the meme that makes kids learn it when it's a complete toy language. I LOVE that people literally fall for it everytime.

>dogfighting
> simulator

Counter strike bots on hardest level will take out the best Navy Seals if they played.

Navy Seals confirmed to be replaced by CS:GO bots.

>Since when has hacking been recognized to have warfare potential instead of being used to spy?
In Vietnam. Google combat tree.

>It also tells me that ALPHA is babbymode compared to AI that already exists KEK
This..Im sure if a student could create an an AI that could beat an expert, the military got to already have an AI pilot that could beat 10 of the best fighter pilots all together at once. The military industrial complex is always atleast 10 year ahead of mainstream tech. Its why id like to see the convential war between the US and China before I die, as Americas military complex will only reveal its true power levels when they know their nation is facing an existential risk from a formidable foriegn power.

I wish I had a rad rig like that.

This is bollocks. This just means the AI pilot was omniscient and knew the human fighter pilots speed/g/range etc even at distances and arcs where the sensors of the simulated plane would not be able to detect the human.

You can't make a real plane that is omniscient.

>You can't make a real plane that is omniscient.

Wanna bet?

Morals are equations, we're just shit at defining and communicating them between eachother.

AI isn't shit at it.
It's very very VERY effective at it.
More than a human could ever be.

>war loses all value and romance
>war becomes simply a game to countries

how fuckd is the world?

>what is reading comprehension

He never said that AI was shit

It always has been a game between countries. All the romance is just to get people to sign up.

I never said he did.
Check your own reading comprehension.

EM missiles when.

Why do people project self-preservation instincts and desire for freedom on a potential fabricated being that needs them as much as a human needs ears on his/her ass?

they'll make some piece of shit program that does what the kids' program does, but worse, and at the low low price of $11 billion dollars.

American military procurement is a fucking joke.

For the technology of peace.

YOU GUYS KNOW THIS IS A MOVIE, RIGHT?

>>youtube.com/watch?v=goPki_V34xA

actually, I wondering what would have happened if they'd put a top-level vidya player up against the AI, instead of a fighter pilot. My guess is that the human opponent (given his age) has never really played vidya before and didn't really adjust his strategies to the fact that he was facing an AI and not another human.

Whereas someone who plays computer games understands the difference between facing another human and facing an AI, and how to compensate for an AI's greater speed and awareness by playing on it's greater predictability.

Create 3d printing factories that can make armies of this thing, turn the middle east into an asymmetric RTS

>combat tree
thats a spying use

>have you ever played ace combat?
>AI's have been downing human pilots for decades now.
Incorrect. AI in games has perfect knowledge, it couldn't apply to real world, where only data available is from sensors on the plane.

I'm assuming these new advances are using actual simulated data. (e.g. rather than AI knowing the exact position of enemy as in a videogame, it uses simulated cameras or radar, and actually performs processing on that data to identity targets)

A lot of these advances are due more to much increased computer processing power than anything else. This is processor intensive stuff.

>fuzzy systems
It refers to the fact it isn't using precise maths, rather... things more similar to how the human brain operates, with many imprecise calculations nevertheless combining to form a good result.

Think of it as probabilities - e.g. it gives results such as - firing missile now will give 95% probability of hitting target, 4% chance of debris hitting your own plane etc etc. Where as traditional AI is more "if such-and-such condition, do this".

>who the fuck named it fuzzy systems?
the name comes from fuzzy logic. fuzzy logic is different from discrete (boolean) logic in that a statement can have a truth value anywhere on the interval [0, 1], whereas in discrete logic, statements have either a truth value of 0 or 1.

>AI's greater speed and awareness by playing on it's greater predictability.
The point with these new AI advances is that they use the same input as humans... so they likely will NOT have greater awareness, unlike vidya AI.

Instead, what they have is much, much, faster strategic planning.

The problem with most AI so far has been in the awareness part: it's hard to do things like recognising scenery, obstacles etc.

If they are starting to solve that side of things, then real life AI/robots can become more like the chess playing AIs, doing brute force analysis to depths a human cannot,. Humans will be utterly BTFO'd.

Sigh, the strategic planning isnt just FASTER
ITS AT A HIGHER LATERAL ABSTRACTION LEVEL THAN IS HUMANLY POSSIBLE
THE SOONER EVERYONE FUCKING GETS THIS THE SOONER YOU CAN ALL SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH
>durrrr ai cant do shit
LITERAL RETARDS

You say that like we don't need a good war.

How possible is for an AI to 'think outside the box' in an unaccountable manner doe?

For example, you can beat a chess computer if you unplug it, can an AI be made to think this way?

>he thinks humans aren't predictable
good goy

>Sigh
are you LARPing, or is the poo in loo's name "Sigh?"

>First the robots beat us at Go

They didn't though.