Name one flaw

Name one flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

cbc.ca/news/entertainment/villeneuve-dune-film-1.3961647
twitter.com/AnonBabble

didn't pander to autists enough

not enough action and explosions

nobody dies, aliens didn't destroy buildings. Amy Adams' nose pissed me off.

Jeremy Renner.

>right-wing soldier watching rush limbaugh look-alike tries to blow up the aliens.
>turn on tv, leftists are the ones murdering unborn children, pandering to jihadists and setting cars, stores and campuses on fire every day.

Why is hollywood so detached from reality?

Jeremy Renner's boring out of place exposition dump narration midway through the film to explain to normies what was happening and to speed up the progress of the film.

you're trying too hard to fit in, r*ddit

kek i rolled my eyes too

>understanding a language allows you to see all of time at once

t. linear language cuck

t. death process mong

fuck off before I spoiler how you die

Pseudointellectual tripe. I get the premise but it's just ridiculous, even in that universe

Amy Adams's character is extremely undeveloped and is essentially a Mary Sue. She faces almost no conflict in the entire movie and everything is handed to her

Also, they completely sidestep any paradoxes which is dumb for any film that discusses time travel or future sight

>you can see all time
>you suddenly realize you don't free will and all your actions are predetermined

Almond Status: Activated

The movie you'd be more interesting she was presented with the choice between keeping the timeline where the world is saved and united, or changing it to save her daughter but fucking up the world.
>Sorry honey, you have 2 weeks to live. I couldn't change it otherwise the NWO would never happen.

>you suddenly realize you don't free will and all your actions are predetermined

thats not even remotely close to what happens

This

Villeneuve is a master of suspense. I enjoyed the build-up to the protagonists entering the alien ship, and the scene where they actually enter on board. The UFO was genuinely otherworldly and unsettling, in shape and texture. As they entered the spacecraft the scene was edited to be really disorienting. Dialogue was noticeably kept to a minimum.

Then out of nowhere Renner just starts monologuing and the movie goes full Interstellar.

>Also, they completely sidestep any paradoxes which is dumb for any film that discusses time travel or future sight
The time line is continuous on all directions. Past actions affect future actions, and future actions affect past actions, as it was shown in a lab experiment, at least regarding quantum particles.
So there can't be a paradox. It's we that can only see slices of the time dimension, "one" at a time, so we have this false perception of a "movement" at one direction.
If we could see the whole dimension, you would see past and future as one, but the catch is, you wouldn't see yourself as in a specific point of this line. There would be no present, no "now". You would feel yourself as being in all "slices" of that dimension, thus the concept of paradox would be impossible.

Free is proven to not exist anyway.
In the movie she has an illusion that she chose to have her daughter anyway, but it's not something she could change.

Understanding determinism doesnt let me learn the private phone number of a Chinese general you hyper-retard

Determinism only works without perception of a timeline.

If you understand determinism in the way that you could literally measure it and anticipate it, yes you could learn the private number of a chinese general.

Yes thats true, thats not what happens though, nor is it possible for a human brain to do that.

It does when he gives it to you later on in the fucking movie.

Her brain does, though.

thats not possible though

if the ayys knew in advance Louise would be able to interpret their language, why would they send down 11 other ships and spark a international crisis?

Aren't the ayys entirely selfish in their motives?

oh boy

>Denis Villeneuve signs on for Dune reboot
cbc.ca/news/entertainment/villeneuve-dune-film-1.3961647

>see something that happens in the future
>shoot yourself to avoid it happening
paradox

>thats not possible though

That's why it's science-FICTION you fucking idiot. It doesn't have to be possible, it just has to be plausible.

>determinism

Maybe the added pressure of looming conflict was needed to ensure that everything worked out in the end.

What was the fucking gift?

Its not even remotely possible, especially in the film's established universe. If Abbot and Costello did some kind of bullshit alien ritual that let her see time all at once, then I'd think its fine.

time travel written language

Don't those ships land on where considerably important spot in the world !?!?!?

but this clearly wasnt the case

that ship looks retarded and tries too hard to look different

>Abortion is Wrong: The Movie

>its not possible that learning new things cause you to see the world differently

Look guy. I can spend years studying that alien language, I can understand every aspect of it. But no matter how much I do that, my brain will never be able to transcend time. Its a misunderstanding of the Shapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is the core of the film.

abortion is wrong.

>Its a misunderstanding

No, its a play on it.

it's gay

The kid died. Abbott is death process.

well its just dumb if you think about it for longer than a second

She had no choice whether or not to have a kid right? Because everything was pre determined

I think they could have made that more clear. They didn't really explain how time worked within the movie as in determinism or free will

Yeah, the editing was shit.

Activated almonds desu

did you catch the sick fox news burn at the beginning too

I think it was left intentionally vague. Clearly actions were being taken to ensure an optimum future even with her future-sight; the scene where she called the Chinese general had significance beyond "and this is how she saved the day". It was to show that things could still possibly go wrong. Furthermore, Abbot could have easily have avoided his own death simply by being farther away from the explosion he knew would kill him, but it seemed almost a conscious choice to accept the outcome of death. It's less likely that he couldn't avoid his own death, more so he simply chose acceptance. It's almost like with the prescience comes a wisdom that grants you the power to view the future, but also to not wish to change it. Not that it can't be changed, you just won't want to.

She didn't choose to have her daughter because she couldn't change the future, but because the future had already happened and she was accepting of it within her present.

Not enough Max Richter.

Color pallet was bland and uninteresting

The last ~20 or so minutes re-explaining EVERYTHING they should've left the viewer to figure out on his/her own

That's, like, shittier Sophie's Choice

KILL
ALL
PRODUCERS

Trying to look smart and idiots think it is

literally just a slaughterhouse five rip-off

>DUDE TIME ISN'T LINEAR LMAO

The fuck it isn't. If everybody knows what's going to happen in the future, wouldn't it change? This movie was dumb as fuck.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

>movie that isn't mindless action trash
>"discussion" consists of insecure alt right man-babies posturing because they're insecure (see: )
>constant misuse of terms like "pseudo-intellectual" and "pretentious"
>other arguments include spamming "2deep4u" or "philosophy 101"
>genuine impotent rage over a movie having actual themes

It's a science fiction movie not a documentary you obese inbred simpleton. Go back to tracking celebrity hairlines in excel you waste of oxygen.

it was terrible but it didn't ruin the film.

>dude it's just a movie, just turn your brain off lmao

And you have the audacity to call me the retard.

amy adams character makes it very clear she knows her daughter will die and yet she *chooses* to have her anyway.

She's part of something more powerful than you'll ever understand faggot.

the dumbest part to me was that the character who did that was a captain. An officer wouldn't do something that retarded

>I think I'm smart because I point out that fiction has fiction in it

asperger's

When they take off their helmets in the spaceships.

So what if you can breathe?? Ever thought of alien micro bacteria??

It drove me nuts in Prometheus too.

funny

>I TRUST HER
What a wonderful slogan. Really inspires trust when you have to be reminded constantly that some stranger trusts somebody else.

Both here and in Prometheus it causes controversy and is a subject of argument among the characters. That fact alone should prevent you from making this complaint, but apparently you're too stupid.

Renner should've been pissed like "WTF ARE YOU DOING, IM SCIENCE GUY AND THIS IS RETARDED" but instead acts like a megacuck and follows suit.

I caught the controversy, still think its dumb.

boring, aesthetically extremely bland, awful lead actors, extremely pathetic and melodramatic towards the end.

what did that post have to do with the "alt-right", man? why do people have to put any and all opinions they disagree with for any reason in with the other camp, and then complain that the board is going to shit because of the posting of that other camp? why don't people discuss things anymore?

Good point. Its like brainwashing material; you see it enough and you begin to believe it. Thats why they do all the chanting.

Removing the helmets was to more effectively communicate with the aliens. In other words, a necessary act of bravery for the sake of the mission.

>defy logic
>muh way to communicate

I'm sorry, but they took the science outta science fiction when they do stupid shit like that.

Not only do they put themselves at risk, but whats the point of having a scrubdown after every visit when they could've inherited a skin surface/lung bacteria that could be transmitted?

I love DV and I thought it was a good movie, but this is a petpeeve and you can disagree but you're wrong.

Has anyone even decided as to want go more even more look like?

Yeah Snyder capeshit tier ""themes"". Watch more film.

"Taking the science out of it" would be if the potential risk wasn't acknowledged, if they weren't wearing protective gear to begin with. You don't even understand the basics of the language you're using.

>Movie was too smart for me
>I'll pretend I'm above it anyway because vague attempts at condescension are how I generate 100% of my meager self-esteem

Each ship possessed 1/12th of the language. The spread was to ensure that humanity collaborated to solve the puzzle.

It's sci-fi and they didn't blow up the aliens.

Why is it so hard for some people to accept the sci fi premise of language making us able to percieve time non lineary? It could he the next stage in the evolution of civilization, something that marks the way to post history the same way writing marked the end of prehistory.

It's been theorized that humans have more than five senses. How do we sometimes know that we're being watched from the distance? How do mothers know when their children are in peril even if they are miles away? Our brains could be evolving to make us percieve our universe beyond what our primal senses can understand. Now imagine we make contact with an alien species and they bring us a new language. Learning this new language creates new neural conexions in the human brain that activate dormant areas that we didn't know what they were for (there are some gray areas in the brain whose functions are still a mystery, like the claustrum) and this lets us "unblock" a new sense that lets us percieve our universe in four dimensions (the fourth being non linear time).

Now tell me this is too far fetched for a sci fi movie.

>I learned a written language
>I can now perceive future events as inevitabilities
This concept is pretty dumb even though I liked the movie

slow as fuck for no reason. boring acting. amy adams.

slow as fuck for no reason. boring acting. amy adams.
also how could they just suddenly understand the words? made no sense.

>suddenly
Confirmed not having watched it

well i know they were working on the words but what i mean is how were the words ever even understood? if the markings each make up a word how would Adams/Renner confirm that the word was what was meant by the aliens?

it collapses at the end

don't you mean the beginning? :^)

This is how I feel.

>bland as fuck (what happened? sicario looked great. this looked like modern video game bloom levels)
>mediocre leads
>film is either too slow and failing to establish atmosphere or too much exposition
>le epic time travel tweest that everyone saw coming an hour before
>they can somehow tell the two aliens apart

eh...seems a little too pseudo-intellectual. oscar bait as well. I did like how the aliens were actually alien for once.

I enjoyed it enough. I didn't regret seeing it in the theater. I wouldn't watch it again, however.

the script

2016 is the year for overrated psued movies.
see:
>nocturnal animals
>arrival
>la la land

Overrated, forced story. You see the same from similar movies of recent e.g. "The Martian". Overdone CGI with fast paced monologue to explain away everything, starring known faces.

Utterly boring

What happened if The Chinks really attack them? they come in peace right?

>lets have a daughter so she dies from cancer lol
>I'll tell you when she's ten lol

>lets attack peaceful aliens lol

shit/10

>revealed the TWEEST like half way through the movie