So learning the language makes you perceive time as nonlinear

So learning the language makes you perceive time as nonlinear.

We see through the movie that the female starts to get these short flash forwards as she's starting to learn the language, but never see her getting much control over these flashes. So when you've fully learned the language, does that mean you can freely jump from any time in you life back and forward or do you just get those short le'i can see the future psychic flashes?

The movie heavly implies that (at least for a human) that although you've learne to perceive time like the aliens your consciousness can only be at one place in time at once. Seems like a hellish existance either way, never knowing when's "now" your whole life just being a muttered mess of memories in random order. It also raises the question if you can be immortal (by constantly going back), or even die by accidentally skipping ahead to the time you die? If you argue that you can fully see your whole life from start to end like one long line "start------end" then you should be able to live forever "in your mind", no?

a final problem is that "time" isn't some shit we humans just made up, "Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.". So even though your're "timejumping" around your head, you're still getting older on the outside in the present..

whole thing is just mind boggling is all and not in a very positive way

Other urls found in this thread:

onedrive.live.com/?id=6CAD38C8EB8D385A!3218&cid=6CAD38C8EB8D385A
readanybook.com/ebook/stories-of-your-life-and-others-565787
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just turn your brain off bro, you know you will never watch it again

Jesus Christ youre retarded.

explain it then senpai

Your post doesn't make sense.

It's just a change of perspective of time, where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories.

So there is no time travelling or "timejumping", she is always in the current narrative.

When you remember a childhood memory, are you leaving your current state and literally transporting yourself in the past?
Are you now aware how stupid your whole post sounds?

Yeah, it's like buying into overrated movies makes you create thread after thread about them.

it's not the nature of time that is questioned during the film, but it's perception.
Just as you can look back at your past by means of 'memories' - and that doesn't eman you can indefinitely live in your past -, learning Heptapod changes the way you percieve time.
Therefore, you can look at your dimensional future as a 'memory of the future'.
It may be incomplete, may be blurry, you might not understand it, but it's implied to work as with your memories.

The issue of the paradox can only be explained, imo, as that, the future she 'saw' was the most probable and expectable one, and maybe that's the one you end up 'premembering'.
The classic paradox:
>I 'premember' that I'll run next month's marathon
>I shoot myself on the foot
>I won't be able to run for months
The only explanation- although it's determinist', would be that you wouldn't 'premember' that if there's a chance you'll decide to shoot yourself.

>Are you now aware how stupid your whole post sounds?

Probably not, user

Einstein is immortal.

>The only explanation- although it's determinist'
Once you take into account the film's metanarrative (she questions her child's STORY, the BEGINNING and the END) where the perception of time is warped - the character essentially sees THE SCRIPT of the film (character's life & narrative), it is deterministic. She never could nor had chance to change it (because how could she? she is just an actor playing a role in a script), but can either play it to the best or half-ass it.

You can just admit you didn't understand it you know

I'm with you OP.

If you experience time non-linearly doesn't that mean you're basically groundhog daying your entire life for eternity?

>If you experience time non-linearly doesn't that mean you're basically groundhog daying your entire life for eternity?
That's what the characters in films are doing. In any film.

you're not just wrong, you're stupid. and you're ugly, just like your mum

Youre fucking retarded.

it's the same way dr. Manhattan saw time, puppet seeing it's strings. Although can someone tell me how she became able to see through time without learning the language? she had only been studying 1/12 of the formula..

>the female
what are you, a ferengi?

>it's the same way dr. Manhattan saw time, puppet seeing it's strings

So does she passively have access to all information she will ever come across? Is she able to expand on that information or is she locked into only being able to experience and retain her "set" life?

>So does she passively have access to all information she will ever come across?

yes, it's how she got the Chinese message

>is she locked into only being able to experience and retain her "set" life?

I guess so, seeing as how she did nothing to change the future of her daughter dying

Right so if she is locked into her life, experiencing and knowing everything that has and will happen/ed to her in photographic detail, isn't that just ground hog day for her entire life?

no, it's like watching a movie you've seen before; you're still going through it but you know what's going to happen.

That doesn't dispute what I said.

are you faggots gonna come with some good arguments or just keep calling me a retard?

the whole point of the movie is that you stop perceiving time as we do. If it's basically you're living in the present, but with random "visions" of the future that's a major cop-out and i not really what Villeneuve intended. Imagine Louise just sitting in her living room trying to remember shit from the future, it's absurd and stupid.

It' really hammered in that the aliens have a non-linear perception of time as in past - present - future does not exist, they live it all, at once. Fuck they literally tells the russians:

"THERE IS NO TIME"

The implications i brough up in my orignal post, maybe a bit clumsy, are still valid.

also it's heavily implied that the aliens are able to communicate with each other, since they've been together in the past (which does not exist to them, or it currently exist as much as every single second of time in their entire life), so they're literally having a conversation on mars or whereever they're from while they're also at earth.

And it's not like "they talked about the journey before they left and planned it all and can remember" like humans coud also do, no they're having the conversation LIVE in the "past" while they're also in the "present" .

fuck no a human would be able to live like this in our current world ..

lol OP is literally an autist who has been bitching about this since the web-dl leaked

Consider suicide OP, seriously.

Just read the original novella that was the basis for the movie

It's called "the story of your life"

10x better than the movie

Movie was a stinking pile of shit
Download is on this page:

onedrive.live.com/?id=6CAD38C8EB8D385A!3218&cid=6CAD38C8EB8D385A

Read it on this page:

readanybook.com/ebook/stories-of-your-life-and-others-565787

Whole story is really about "free will" does it really exist.

The aliens know the future and rather than change it, they ensure that what they know will happen does. The scientist realizes this and rather than prevent a child who will ultimately die from being born she still proceeds with her life, as she foresaw it without any changes, she makes sure the future occurs as she knows it will. If you know the future, can change it, but don't, you see what will happen, not what might happen, but what will happen, if you change it, then the future was wrong, if you allow the future to unfold as you envisioned it, then there really is no free will.

>rather than prevent a child who will ultimately die from being born she still proceeds with her life

Like every other person? It's more about bringing a life into this world knowing that it will suffer horribly before dying.

Reading Press Reviews:

>Incandescent.
>Cerebral.
>Must Read.

This is worse than that Fraiser episode where both brothers became art critics.

>It's just a change of perspective of time, where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories
But what you've experienced in your life has chemically altered your brain. Your memories are actually stored in hardware, but they can be corrupted and distorted. When visioning the future aren't we building that vision on our experiences, the information available to us, which is our memories?

There's not much to get, OP.

Alien language allows you to see into the future and alter events as Amy Adams does by remembering what the Chinese military guys says to her in a future vision.

Her other big decision, to have the kid, went on without her altering the course of events.

>going back
>skipping ahead
you are still thinking of time linearly. Its non-linear so there is no back or forward or front or back. Its all at the same "time"

>alter events
wrong.

Was the language coffee stains in the book too?

God youre fucking dumb.

Knowledge of future events altered the past. Amy Adams broke causality there by doing that.

>hey guys we are aliens who can speak fluent English and know your other languages very well but we going to pretend we are retarded because time

This is the biggest plothole in an other wise great fulm

It still deterministic. She used the knowledge to create the timeline that she got the knowledge from.

dissapointing

> Time
> Imperical

>causality
>still thinking of cause and effect like a linear pleb

OP, read Slaughterhouse-Five, your idea has a precedent in classic SF regardless of whether it was intended by Villeneuve.

I'm sorry but how the FUCK would a new language make you a mental time traveller? Retarded shit

The movie doesn't make a damn bit of sense but it makes no sense in that pseudo-intellectual way that Interstellar doesn't make sense which means that when you point it out you get a bunch of average-intellect kids who tell you that you "just don't understand" the film due to it being so brilliant.

In my humble opinion, the science in the story is only there to serve the story. You're not supposed to extrapolate on it any further. We don't now the mechanics of the science or how it works, and we never will. It "just does" for the sake of the story.

Basically this. Time travel and assorted shenanigans are the shittiest plot devices in sci-fi.

You have a corporeal form that is the vessel for your consciousness, but space-time is not a limit to your perceptions.

To learn the language you must be aware time is non linear, and be able to perceive this. But your own existence or sphere of influence is limited to your vessel, that exists in one place and time. You get to see the strings, but you're still a puppet.

The whole film is dishonest. And it lacks a proper climax.

6.5/10 because it was pretty and I have a weakness for time travel.

Also, wormhole aliens in DS9