/msp/ - robot fight general

Megabots (USA) vs Kuratas (Japan)
stream starts at 7:00 pm pst
twitch /megabotsinc
Megabots AMA from yesterday:
reddit /r/IAmA/comments/2ldqpw/we_are_megabots_and_were_building_giant_fighting/

thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=k1UuEHmxG0U

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fcY5tFKsQpk
youtube.com/watch?v=1sRlFQLwg3w
youtube.com/watch?v=8xNOH5QfHQk
youtube.com/watch?v=1L8j6WoOTJk
youtube.com/watch?v=XQhLV-wTSdY
youtube.com/watch?v=3ldJswGpkjY
youtu.be/SnscgQK7mUY
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F79CB4F18312CC3
youtube.com/watch?v=w-g85lOSA8Y
monkeyfarm.cocolog-nifty.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=5aJIby5NJ48
youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E
youtube.com/watch?v=koesW3xMKtY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9U4ALRXBtI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>maneuvers behind you

Bumping because faggots in here aren't realizing that this match could turn giant robots fights into a whole sports league

Allright /m/, it's time to get down to brass tacks.

Who's gonna take it home?

metal gear..

some of these comments from the megabot team in the reddit ama are making me think that the kuratas actually managed to outmaneuver and flip eagle prime

so much for that howe and howe technologies maneuverability

Hmmm... nice.

that's literally frink's robot

>hydraulic lines on the outside of the legs

this sounds fucking based

but i bet itll turn out to be shit. the robots will fight like retards or something

hope im wrong though.

>Can you give us a tease as to what other groups have expressed interest in a fight? How long until you'll be doing another event? And will you allow spectators at future events?

>There are a couple of groups in China, one in India, a couple in Australia, and I think a couple in Russia. Most of the promising ones are are privately-owned companies with infrastructure already set up to build big stuff.
>We'll have more news soon about the next event, and we will absolutely allow spectators!

Also, reminder that Megabots DOES plan to make this a sports league.

red robot looks shook AF. gonna get heemed in round 1. robot on the left has a literal iron chin. mismatch desu free money go bet

That's just a parody of the robot on the first Robocop movie you stupid pasta eater.

>tfw one of the japanese team members is named kyoji

I knew about the Chinese teams, the Monkey King and the Dawei. The India, Australia, and Russian teams are news to me though!

According to the Megabot team, Monkey King is more akin to an animatronic machine than a mecha right now, but the company behind it has large funds and assets available, so they should be able to develop it into something concrete.

>british robot massively overpriced
>american robot too heavy to move
>chinese robot falls apart with one punch
>gemran robot just a german in a suit and nobody can tell

Polish robot conquers all because it's just a forklift with a paper machier head.

If this became some kind of annual/bi-annual tournament, I'd probably ejaculate uncontrollably.

>british robot massively overpriced
Sup
>inventors are looking to triple it's speed
Paint it red.

>Paint it red.
I get it.

That's the goal of the creators actually.

Yeah, but I'll save my fluids for when it actually happens.

youtube.com/watch?v=fcY5tFKsQpk

youtube.com/watch?v=1sRlFQLwg3w
But seriously that speed.
Building these sort of things gotta be cheaper first.
Hell make them glorified drones/RC's instead of a cockpit and watch them tear at eachother without health and safety risks

>and watch them tear at each other without health and safety risks

Spectator safety will still be an issue. Battlebots was already pushing the limits of reinforced bulletproof glass and they had a 250lb weight limit.

Goddamn I need to watch this series again.

i doubt they made much money on the spectators desu. dont really need them if they had a tv deal or something

>tfw no monkey giant robot from your country

Place your bets lads

Realistically speaking, Eagle Prime is almost double the weight of Kuratas. I guess we'll see how it goes, but I'm almost certain that America is taking this one unless Kuratas has a significant mobility advantage.

Some kind of ambiguous "everybody wins" cop out.

Japan is coming at us with a Manlet, but they had months to manufacture their Kuratas with Nipponese steel while our boys were still in the design process. I want to believe in American exceptionalism, but Japan knows it's mecha.

This would be the worst possible result

Remember that one video of Eagle Prime punching a car? It was so fucking slow

PILDER ON

youtube.com/watch?v=8xNOH5QfHQk

If we're talking pure arm speed, sure, but its torso twist is pretty fast: youtube.com/watch?v=1L8j6WoOTJk

That left arm looks like some serious business at least. I guess we'll see what it can do soon enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=XQhLV-wTSdY

>Suidobashi has secretly been working on a functional version of this

If we get Shining Finger'd I'll probably shit myself.

Rate them

It was at 2 percent speed for safety concerns

I know it'd be prohibitively expensive, but I'd kill to see Method One used in this

youtube.com/watch?v=3ldJswGpkjY

bump

1 hour

>the twitch chat is filled with Zeon Memery
Y'know what? I'm hyped.
It will be shit, I know that, but fuck me its the 1st robot battle in fucking history.

Exactly. If you go in expecting it to be G Gundam you're going to be disappointed. But if you take it for what it is, the first clumsy steps into what could eventually be the most mind blowing entertainment spectacle in human history, then it'll be fun.

>putting a human inside a giant robot fight
they could die. unmanned robots is one thing; you put them in a secluded place, avoid falling debris, and everyone's fine. but if you put a person in a fight with giant robots, so so much could go badly. plus, if someone dies in a robot fight, it may never happen again.

Piloting is no place for the faint of heart.

have you ever watched old car races?people died all the time.

if someone dies in a nascar race, it may never happen again.
if someone dies in a monster truck rally, it may never happen again.
if someone dies in an air show, it may never happen again.

mfw they start up...
youtu.be/SnscgQK7mUY

>they could die
That's what makes it worth watching.

/m/an here, this is exactly what I want to happen

wouldn't be a bad way to go

I want G Gundam to be real.

fag

That's not what your mom calls me.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F79CB4F18312CC3

>Unicorn
>Not The Big O

People are inside the kuratas and the megabots one at least in promotional footage.

>yfw the fight is gonna be extremely slow and nothing will happen

This is the first of its kind. The first cars were not fast either.

Already posted it on /m/, a board I never go to except for megabots, but I'll repost here:

>this match could turn giant robots fights into a whole sports league

That's literally the entire goal of the megabots vs kuratas fight. Megabots isn't in this to build and sell robots, and that's not how they've pitched themselves to investors. They're looking to start a sports league, and in this case, that means kickstarting it themselves.

They get enough views, enough ad revenue, enough merch sales from this? It tells investors that "giant fighting robots are worth the absolutely massive buy-in cost". Remember, this thing still costs far less than an F1 car. Then we see companies doing sponsorships (Autodesk is already the biggest investor in megabots). Megabots themselves end up leading the league and working with teams to set rules and standards, prepare venues, work logistics, assist in construction, and organize the actual fights.

On top of that, this is reaching into a demographic that shies away from sports as a rule. I know it doesn't apply to Sup Forums, but your average grognard simply isn't into sports. I'm not. Most of my friends aren't. I went to a Red Sox game once and it was pretty great, and I'll watch whatever's on at the local bar, but I'm not into it, and neither are most of my friends. But giant robots as a sports league mean that they get to use the same business models that MLB and NFL use, for a demographic that those models simply couldn't work on before. The advertising potential alone is ridiculous.

For a good idea of how Megabots are going about all of this and their mentality, check this video, a pitch directly to startup investors: youtube.com/watch?v=w-g85lOSA8Y

The broadcast schedule from the kickstarter email:

>7:00PM - Suidobashi and MegaBots backstory videos to get everyone up to speed
>7:30PM - THE GIANT ROBOT DUEL!
>8:00PM - Live Q&A with the MegaBots team

So 30min pre-game show followed by 30min fight.

First impressions are everything
This is gonna suck

No Suidobashi interview? I'm really curious about what they've been up to given that they've been completely silent up until now.

Maybe the backstory segment covers preparations?

>Someone with sufficient funds just decided to make a mech so they did
We need more stuff like this in science. The future is coming so slowly.

Here's hoping the melee is good.

Here's Kogoro's blog
monkeyfarm.cocolog-nifty.com/

>Duel starts at 7:30

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The definition of a mech is a giant robot that's piloted by a human.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=5aJIby5NJ48

Wait is the fight not live? How do they know its going to be thirty minutes long?
What's going to happen if the fights a wipe-out and ends in the first minute? Is the whole thing staged like Lucha Underground?

bets on winner?

>PVC pipes
Nippon steel will prevail

Gonna give it to the US
Love Japan's design, but it don't like all that sturdy

5 bitcoins on Megabots AKA Chadbots. Look at that chin, bouya. That thing can take HITS.

>posting the cannon from the old ones
>the cannon that was only used to shoot tshirts at events

Probably USA, but fuck, the Kuratas is fucking awesome.

look at these sad losers who don't know how to have fun
Let's go there and post janitor memes

It's not live no because the actual event took place over several days for teams to do repairs between bouts.

Go back to /m/, idiot.

That actually is more interesting to me. Definitely looking forward to this now.

If they died in the first event, then yeah.
They'd never happen again.

the Kuratas looks stable af

This should be the theme song youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E

REAL THREAD THEME

youtube.com/watch?v=koesW3xMKtY

10 FUCKING MINUTES, FAGS.

You know that's bullshit, though.

If it becomes taboo, then demand for it would skyrocket after the initial scare dies down.

Definitely more stable than that picture of the MK1 but it has a much bigger tread base now.

GLORIOUS DETROIT STEEL FOLDED ZERO TIMES

It seems to have pretty even weight distribution, but remember that the Chadbots is also on treads, giving it major stability on a flat surface for its shape.

I like the way the Kurata looks but in terms of combat I think this is a win of the US of A.

USA is gonna take this one and cement themselves as the one true giant robot nation

Ahem, actual theme coming through.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9U4ALRXBtI

Chadbot is also very top-heavy, though. If Kuratas managed to jam itself underneath and push, it might be able to topple it. Notably, Kuratas is capable of moving up and down in the same way that Eagle Prime is.

Live shows are always like this. Those are the planned times. hings can easily get delayed and such.