New Star Trek show

First of all, what the fuck kind of ship design is this? It's literally the worst thing looking ship in ST I've ever seen.

Also, Knowing who the female captain is being played by, I have a feeling I'm going to start having some very fond memories of Janeway.

As inconsistent of a character as Janeway was sometimes, her bitchy insanity was at least interesting and she some awesome Kirk level moments.

Also, bun Janeway > Short hair Janeway.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j9QHrNdgX4U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's a Planet of the Titans ship.

Only valid star treks. Others need not apply.

Also, why the fuck do they keep going back in time. Why can't they make a Trek after Voy?

not enough 90's energy

I want a post DS9/VOY Trek too, but to be fair, there are some major storytelling problems the showrunners wrote themselves into. By the end, AI and holo-tech was so advanced you could literally ask the computer to create self-aware, mobile holograms at will. Moreover, the major powers of the sector had been utterly exhausted by the Dominion War and essentially peace was established at long last between them.
Disregarding any of the major philosophical questions the advanced tech introduced, on a purely practical level almost any plot they could potentially come up with could be solved easily by holograms, borg nanobots, the Timeship, etc.

Trekkies are going to tear this shit apart for inconsistencies. They don't realize that fucking around with Trek continuity won't work like the Abrams movies did, since those technically took place in another universe so the inconsistencies could be sort of excused.

It will be cancelled faster than Enterprise. Doesn't help that you can only watch it on some obscure pay tv online service from what I've heard. What were they thinking?

I give it two seasons max. Voyager will look like prime Kino compared to this.

>since those technically took place in another universe
I'll admit, Jew Jew was smart with that one. He knew the series enough to know he could get away with it.

This new Trek being a part of the canon universe will be it's complete downfall

I have never talked to any startrek fan who likes the abrams movies

If they want a new audience fine, they can make another ds9 shitfest

they know exactly what they want to do and if they want to alienate the original fanbase they are free to do so

i kinda dig that hanger bay on the back

It's like a really utilitarian focused starhip. Maybe there will be factories or mining equipment aboard.

Jesus shit aside, DS9 was the first time we see serious corruption within the Federation. That shit was interesting as fuck.

And speaking of that..

This could be one of plot points that could be explored if they ever made a Trek in the future. The Fed corruption was never fully dealt with .

adding a shadowy group for a few episodes is boring

unless they exposed some serious philosophical issues across the season then you have at least got people talking

They weren't just "a shadowy group of people". The corruption went to the highest levels of the Federation. Some of the top generals were slimy cunts. Some of them even sent spys into the the Romulin empire.

>unless they exposed some serious philosophical issues across the season
That's retarded. Not every episode of Trek was about unless they exposed some serious philosophical shit. And that went for all the Treks. Not to mention that I suggested this as a plot that could be ONE of MANY that could be explored. NOT the only one.

The solution is to de-canonize VOY, just like they did with TAS.

That's fucking dumb. They would just remake Voy again or something similar to it.

the new season is going to flop

Its not going to keep up with any kind of lore and its not going to keep up with the current format

fuck off, Abrams

>Netflix
>obscure pay tv online service

>obscure pay tv online service
>netflix

Every episode of the new show would just be them calmly going about their lives on a star base slice of life while a ticker at the bottom of the screen would constantly tell the audience : READ THE BOOKS IF YOU WANT ACTION NUMBSKULLS

Here is a question. Why are the Romulins still butthurt about Human's and the Federation? How many times has Picard and the Enterprise saved countless Romulins asses?

Tyrone, you silly fat bastard.

netflix outside of america, some other thing in america.

Does the cancelled Star Trek TAS with the full blood Vulcan ring a bell? I'm... okay you green blooded hob-goblins here ya go

"In addition to these, Star Trek: Phase II was a series concept designed as the cornerstone of a Paramount Pictures-based network in 1976. A continuation of the original series and featuring a second five-year mission, it would have introduced a number of new characters in conjunction with the original crew.
When the network project died and the insane success of Star Wars: A New Hope made sci-fi films profitable again, Paramount elaborated the series pilot into The Movie, which ultimately led to a whole new line of movies.
Many of the concepts from Phase II (along with some scripts) made their way into Star Trek: The Next Generation and the series itself is considered deuterocanon - not "true" canon, because it never made it to the screen, but allowed in Broad Strokes to fill a gap in Trek chronology (notice the fictional length of time between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan)."

space rome hates everyone.

Star Trek has always been less about the science/technology and more about showing a strictly humanistic philosophy applied to the future.

Realistically, if humanity ever actually achieves some of the technological things portrayed in the series, then it will transform into something completely different and alien.

>extra-galactic/extra-dimensional shenanigans
Might be the only way the series could move forward in time.

Simple: a collapse into a galactic dark age where there is still some space travel but the incredible technology and prosperity of the Federation are treated as forgotten legend

That series was so fucking good right up until the third season, when everyone got a retarded makeover for no apparent reason.

Being a cunt seems absolutely mandatory in Romulan society.

Do any of them even like each other?

I can't understand how they can get 1,000 of them together to fly a spaceship without them all undermining and sabotaging and assassinating until the fucking thing blows up on its own.

Supposedly they gave Sorbo some creative control and he ran it into the ground trying to make it Hercules in Space.

Why do you think they developed remote operated drone ships?

I don't even think it was particularly high quality but I do think its premise was a very believable and interesting direction for the post TNG/DS9/VOY universe.

The entire overarching theme of DS9 seemed to be "the Federation is doomed, and every time we pull some magic out of our ass to save it again we're just postponing the inevitable."

I would read that fanfic but you would have to figure out how the Fed fell in the first place. Their are over a thousand plaints that are part of the Fed as well. They would all have to be taken out. The Borg was the best option for that to happen but they got fucked forever in Voy

>Be on a Star Trek ship
>Be standing parallel to the direction of acceleration during impulse
>Somehow stay rooted to the floor and don't go flying backward into the wall
>Banking maneuvers don't send everyone not sitting into a tumble
Thoughtless designs have always been shit in Star Trek

Boy all those ships sure would have come in handy every time the Borg showed up.

That's what the inertial dampeners are for.

>subspace gets permanently fucked up like that TNG episode suggested, limiting travel to Warp 5 or making high Warp deadly to attempt
>the now isolated Federation planets split into smaller fiefdoms or are picked off one by one

A galaxy wide broadcast of the Beastie boys.

>Be on a Star Trek ship
>Be standing

You're just going to let grav plates slide?

never was a fan of star track but i did like their ships design. BUT if this is what they are trying to use for the new one then its straight shit. They should have left it similar to the orignal but instead have the disc part float and have it move in a circular motion and use "powerful magnetic force" to make it stay connected to the rest of the ship. I wish I could draw what I am seeing in my monkey brain.

It doesn't matter since after Picard saved the Romulan Empire and brokered a new peace in Nemesis, JJTrek immediately blew up the entire Romulan home solar system in the original timeline for a plot macguffin

Nah, that plot point wax fixed with moving warp nacelles.

>caring about space sheakspeare plays
>when new star wars and expanse exist

Babylon 5 had a much better shadowy group.

Eh

Doesn't one Borg cube shit on 40+ federation ships on two separate occasions

The important thing is that it's keeping the positive and optimistic outlook on humanity that is typical of the franchise.

This obviously pisses DS9 fans that wanted yet another series about humanity being dragged down to their basest and most vile behavior instead of a classic Star Trek adventure because that's "mature" and "deep".

*perpendicular

this is made up shit

Yes, but the fleets we saw in ds9 were larger than that.

At least 2 post ds9 Borg engagements in Earth orbit occurred and the fleets were a handful of ships. Granted the last one was without warning so had to make do with what was near Earth.

What are you basing that on? Prequel therefore has to follow pre-established society?

>science fiction
>made up shit

Congratulations on attending Literature 101.

Their loathing for other alien races outweighs their loathing for each other.

Who in range of the alpha quadrant could even give the federation a run for its money post-Voyager's return? You can't have a post-Voyager series because the Federation is literally unbeatable except by the Q.

Let me clarify. It's lazy writers and showrunners who want to do a show in space without acknowledging the basic principles of Newtonian motion, something that every gradeschooler should know. They do this beause they so badly need their ships to be ocean cruise liners with a shell on top, and everyone needs to stand on the decks of the ship like there's gravity pushing down on their magical space cruise liner. So the writers invent something and Roddenberry or whoever is in charge rubber-stamps it and they call it a day.

this sort of laziness just triggers my autism too much. enterprise had a chance to fix this, and failed.

Good Romulans show up every now and then, we just mostly see the asshole warship captains, politicians, scheming spies etc.

It's like how 98% of the Klingons you see are grunting warriors and it's like, ok so who actually builds their ships and where are the doctors?

The Xindi because future tech and centuries of perfecting superweapons.

As the various series progressed I think they actually did a pretty good job at making the various Klingons very... difficult, yet likeable. Giving them depth and foibles in spite of continuing to paint them with the same broad barbarian brush.

Apparently Star Trek Online had a story where all of the people Voyager fucked over banded together, creating a Delta quadrant Federation that then attacked the Federation in order to get revenge.

Speaking as a casual Trek fan, I fucking loved Voyager. The crew were like a family, with Janeway as the Mom. Comfy.

>imagining a captain worse than janeway
no
please no

I still say DS9 was the height of Star Trek. I won't pretend you'll all agree, but the point I'm trying to make is that a minority as crew member or leader isn't automatically a bad thing. The bad thing is that the language surrounding the new Star Trek bodes TERRIBLY. that they will handle this is every wrong way possible. I never hated Janeway because she was a woman. I hated her because she was a terrible fucking captain, but I'm getting every sense from the new show that I'm going to hate it, not on the basis of characters and their actions, but on the basis of Identity Politics nonsense being shoved down my throat every five seconds.

Just console yourself that it will end with a warp core breach because of space Islam.

>exceed the speed of light
>okey dokey
>artificial gravity
>THAT'S BREAKING NEWTONIAN PHYSICS, SIR

Thanks for keepin' it real, brah.

remember how the federation was mind controlled by space-bugs

I've heard people make hack writer comments on why you can't go beyond DS9/Voyager for years. And it's because they're hacks. If you can't figure out a way to write in high technology periods, then it's on you. Yes, the stories would have to take that into account. Yes, the stories would have to change. No, that would not be impossible to write, and they only way they'd be enjoyable to watch is if you actually fucked up the stories and characters.

The reality is, anything is possible, if you put your mind to it. Instead of furthering the stories, they go back in time and wreck the past, and ensure the future stories make no fucking sense with all the bullshit they pull ENTERPRISE.

Personally I'd take a lost in space style story that took what Voyager, SGU and several others have 'tried' to do, and actually deliver on the concept of having to survive out in strange alien space, far from help.Actual alien environments. Actual alien stories. Actually having to deal with the fact that they could never get back the parts they've lost in a run down wrecked ship. Having to become accustomed to alien technologies. Having to learn alien languages with broken translators. Having to go far beyond simple human survival and the very real prospect that they would never see home again. Not turning it into a whining moaning and bitching fest, but an old school embracing of the new and the adventure. Knowing they couldn't go back, they go forward. Remember the old adventure cartoons, the really old one, where some dude would get transported to some strange alien place with no hope of return, and instead of breaking down and being sad, they embraced it? Not that it should be a happy go lucky adventure, but, not everyone breaks down like a bitch in the face of adversity. Some people are spurred on by it, beyond anything they would have been capable of before.

Yeah, Janeway was a crazy bitch mom at times but she was a very good mom/captain for the most part.

Ah, yes. I remember.

I was thinking more old school than that, but hey, fair enough.

>I hated her because she was a terrible fucking captain
Watching VOY for the first time, it's not so much that I found her to be a bad captain, even though she's had a fair share of bad decisions so far (including provoking the whole premise of the series), the thing that bothers me the most is how I don't think I understand the character that much: one minute she's all motherly, caring and compassionate, the next she turns into an overly-aggressive psychotic bitch, reminds me of pic every fucking time.
Feels like the writers were compensating one with the other, as in "she can't be too woman-like because this is a dog-eat-dog world! better have her pull some crazy aggressive bullshit quick so people don't forget she's in power!" or something like that, which is fine I guess, but sometimes it feels like they went way too far with it, like there's not much subtlety to it most of the time.

Honestly, if she had've used the whatever to get back to Federation space in the first episode, she would've gotten a slap on the wrist and everyone would've gotten on with their lives.

I liked Voyager. It had some really bad episodes, but it also had some good ones.

>the Tuvok epsiode where janeway mind-melds with him to find a repressed memory, and they revisit Tuvok's tour of duty under Sulu

that was a good episode.

id say that overall, the series went more to shit when 7 of 9 was introduced. she was an unnecessary regression for the series. She was basically the Spock/Data character but less interesting. And again, regressive, considering they already covered those 2 character arcs, and had more than sufficient representation with the Doctor and his character

Never before have two words convinced me more to drop a show:

>Muslim character

They better not let them near the helm.

I'm sure they'll be deeply upset at losing the virulent racist demographic.

>muslim
I thought there was no religion in Star Trek?
I mean, I think they kept their rituals and whatnot? but are those really enough for people to be considered "christian" or "muslim" or "native american" or whatever?
Also, didn't they have Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi already?

bait

Nobody will fall for it.

>they're not looking forward to the gyroscope prayer room to adjust the position towards mecca as the ship moves

And it is the problem. Not that they're muslim. Not that they might be black or female or any other aspect. It's that the way they introduce them to the audience, even before the show is launched, is not on the strength and content of their characters, but on their minority points, on the ways in which they are supposedly disadvantaged. Something our race or our gender or aspects like this are considered more important than who we are to people that market their characters like this. Yes, they are 'parts' of who we are, but they are not the defining aspect.

MLK didn't push for a world in which we could be judged on our race INSTEAD of the content of our character, not on our gender, nor on our religion or culture or anything else, but on who we ARE..

well they didnt identify religion first at least.

Chakotay was indian, and that came up a few times, but more in passing.

a muslim character in star trek does not compute because of how ass backwards they are.

>more in passing.
I recall at least an episode where the whole indian mysticism saved the day.
I don't recall it that well, so it probably sucked.

chakotay went full retard early on and they realized their mistake.

Year of hell was some of Janeway's at her very best

>>Muslim character
It's still just a rumor.

But even if it becomes a reality, I won't mind seeing fans like you leave the fandom in tears.

>last half of I, Mudd

good jesus

Put some effort in.

Look in a mirror. You're the one crying over a rumor.

There are no Muslims in Star Trek yet. No role has been announced, no actor has been cast, no press has been released. Nothing. Just a rumor.

youtube.com/watch?v=j9QHrNdgX4U

They show off some new ship designs in a new teaser and they look fucking awful.

So why are muslims the latest token minority meemee?
And they have been for a few years now.

>he doesn't know about the lost apocalyptic episode

The reason there's no Trek after Voy is that there's no universe after Voy

theyre brown/black and muslim thats a double token in one salary

Try replying to the right poster, thick cunt.

From day one Star Trek has been known for being multicultural and (at least trying) embracing all races, creeds, genders etc. So why are you faggots bitching about having a Muslim in Trek when it's the most natural and logical progression of this franchise. And why is it so offensive to you shit that American's and Muslim might have both shrieked off their retarded religious bullshit and bigotry to get along and aim for the stars in a fictional universe.

>Not that they're Muslim. Not that they might be black or female or any other aspect. It's that the way they introduce them to the audience, even before the show is launched, is not on the strength and content of their characters, but on their minority points, on the ways in which they are supposedly disadvantaged.

I agree. This (for once) is actually a valid argument to make against having minorities in star trek. It seems that witters these days are more concerned with being multicultural then actually making sure their believable character or (in some cases) decent actors.

The point of Trek is that while people acknowledge their cultures, past and present,for better for or for worst, it doesn't define them as individuals nore does it validate their entire reason for existing.

>Still trying to push that meme

Faggot.

Wow, you really convinced me.

>It seems that witters these days are more concerned with being multicultural then actually making sure their believable character or (in some cases) decent actors.
This is why most people bitch about whatever little is known of nu-Trek I'd say.

You existence is a meam you reatarded faggot.

The production art of the Discovery is shows looks better but I really wish they'd get the fuck over the Akira

>shrieked off their retarded religious bullshit
>muslim

Do you even read your retardation before pressing post?

Are you triggered little cunt?