Was it just self fulfilling prophecy...

Was it just self fulfilling prophecy? if she could see the future just by learning the basics of the language couldn't the aliens who are supposedly masters see the future and get whatever help the humans would give them?

this movie is makin me think

weve already discussed this meme movie
fuck off for being late

can you give me a quick rundown of the discussions

cuck

oh no
someone called me a cuck
feeling dreadful right now, holy shit i didnt think this would affect me so much
i think i need a drink.. fuck

aliens bow to Rothschilds, etc

>DUDE NON-LINEAR TIME LMAO
>DUDE PALINDROMES LMAO

DUDE UNITY LMAO

>Interstellar
>Hurrdurr shit movie, the science is all off, lmao love.

>Arrival
>Wow great movie man! The science doesn't make any sense and it's a bunch of bullcrap but it's kino!

This is what Sup Forums is.

I actually liked arrival tho but it was actually mostly due to the soundtrack/sound effects. The story was kind of bullshit.

Why does all recent sci-fi have to be about mundane human feelings?
Especially feelings about having children?
So fucking intensely cringe-worthy, imo.

>Interstellar
>Arrival
>Gravity

Why can't the movies be about the actual science fiction and how humans relate to it???

Interstellar was the only one that got to me desu, but that was mostly due to the acting and a clever relationship buildup with catharsis in the end.

Gravity was utterly forgettable and although Arrival was decent the whole daughter part of the story didn't make any sense whatsoever.

DUUUUDE

Maybe The Aliens will have a problem that can't be solve by seeing it coming.

Maybe they will need the humans cheap labor to built an interstellar wall to keep out the space Mexicans or something

Only Autists got triggered by the Science of each movie

this movie is a liberal power fantasy

>i'm a useless college professor with a midlife crisis and suddenly everyone needs me!

>ayyliems are the biggest softies and come to Earth and give you a literal welfare FTL formula

>humanity just needed a little nudge from the ayyliem welfare state to understand one another and stop wars forever :)

Dumbest movie i've ever seen, just completely retarded. Learning a language gives you clairvoyance? What the fuck kind of hacky writing is that.

Where do people get this from? It wasn't the language that let Louise perceive time contemporaneously. The ayyliens gave her that power when one of them tapped on the glass or whatever. She was the first one to learn to communicate with them, and she was the first one to gain their trust, so they gave it to her.

Nope. She was starting to see shit from the future long before that.
They also literally spelled it out.
A stupid philosophical theory about how your mind is "completely altered" when you learn a new language.
Which is complete bollocks, of course.

DUDE THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP WILL SAVE ALL THE COUNTRIES

>>humanity just needed a little nudge from the ayyliem welfare state to understand one another and stop wars forever :)
this part bugged the shit out of me. it was so fucking contrived and saccharine. goddamn. there's even a line where one of the characters goes "why not just give it to us all in one piece?" and amy goes "SO WE CAN WORK TOGETHER :^) IM WITH HER"

>viewing every movie through a political lense

your life must be exhausting

I watched this yesterday..

I was pretty disappointed by the ending.

right, the first half hour was pretty decent and then I just got bored and saddened by the creators lack of ambition

Tbh that was the only thing in the movie that had some scientific backing. While the clairvoyance part is obviously bullshit, research has proven that people with different mothertongues also have a different way of thinking. Different languages can lead to different insights, because English is the lingua franca, scientific notions often only have English terms connected to it.

Another fun fact which I think might me what sparked some of the ideas of this movie, is that there's a tribe in the Amazon (iirc, might be papuan or african as well) that has no notion of time integrated in its language. They have no yesterday or tomorrow and what not in their language since for them time isn't important nor is it needed for them to express time with words.

>he thinks there's such a thing as free will and everything isn't predetermined

>different insights = completely new way of thinking
>different way of thinking = circular thinking which makes you see your future
All these implications, man

A few questions about this:

1) Why do the aliens need the help of humans in the future?
2) What happens in 3000 years?
3) If the protagonist's life happened already, how many times has it? Is her life an infinite loop? Does she ever die? Does anyone in her life, other than her daughter, ever die?
4. How does the daughter know what the aliens look like, and why does the protagonist doesn't react to her drawings originally? Does this mean the loop just started when the movie starts?
5. How can any of that happen? I mean for this to be possible, each character would need to come from an infinite dimension, right?
6. Why is the protagonists ability to see the future mean that time isn't linear. Shouldn't she see things from the aliens' perspective, rather than having powers herself?

>the whole daughter part of the story didn't make any sense whatsoever.
How so? I think it made perfect sense.

*alternative rather than infinite

It added nothing to it but muh emotional depth.

I'm as conservative as it gets, but Jesus Christ, you sound bitter.

The film pretty effectively pictures aliens who's perception goes way beyond our own, they totally planned everything, there was no real risk of the humans ever attacking the aliens or else they wouldn't actually come to our planet, they knew what was going to happen, it was all planned.

Yes

You need to stop using "muh"

Another tribe language thing is the one without left and right, all directions are by north east south west.

There is also something about learning colors lets you see them. Many tribal languages and ancient langauges dont have a word for blue. The sky is usualy called clear and the ocean is red (not even green).

1. Because they will
2. Something
3. It hasn't happened already, what we see in the film is the present tense - the future parts are basically flashbacks
4. Photos, there is no loop
5. Language affects how you think, she immersed herself in the language for weeks and it affected her thinking process
6. She basically got the ability to remember the future

it affects you because you're a cuck

>She basically got the ability to remember the future
Wow, that definitely explains everything. Thanks.

There is no loop.
She lived up to the point in her life normally. Then Ayylmaos came and gave her the gift to see the future.
We as human beings already have the ability to see the past and present. By the end she is able to perceive all three.
You are overthinking things.

But how did her daughter die before the movie's events, yet she's born after?

>While the clairvoyance part is obviously bullshit
It's science fiction.

We know jackshit about brain and laws of the universe. We have the concept of time because we get born and we get dead, that's simply the synthax of our things and it carries over to all the things related to humanity and our way of thinking and philosophy of living. Time is abstract, you can't feel it, you can't taste it, it's a therm that suits our type of living and thinking. We need time because we need to know how long it takes to cook a meal, or how long can you sleep etc etc. There is no future, there is no past, there simply IS.

The movie plays around this idea of a completely alien and superior beings that have no concept of time whatsoever. This is what Abboth and Costello are, they are fucking ALIEN. Totally, completely, incomprehensibly. They think different, they look different, we don't even know if they reproduce or if they can die from natural causes, although they apparently can be harmed. Could a person like Louise through the way of learning the language understand the way of thinking of such an alien mind? Maybe. Maybe not. Again, we don't know shit about ourselves and universe. We don't even know why the fucking gravity exists and how does it work. The scenario in movie is totally realistic. It's a neat concept made into a lovely movie that had enough balls to not include any of the tropes and bullshit action baits for average moviegoer. A best fucking sci-fi movie in god knows how long. Appreciate it.

amy literally stated that the language gave them the ability to perceive time non-linearly

DUDE THE NUTJOB NEWS REPORTER REPORTING FROM HIS BASEMENT ON YOUTUBE TOLD ME TO ATTACK THE AYYLIUMS LMAO

DUDE BETTER BLOW THEM THE FUCK UP LMAO

DUDE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVEN"T GIVEN ANY INDICATION OF BEING HOSTILE LMAO

She didn't see into the future.

The entire movie is a flash back.

I wish I could flashback to a time when I haven't seen it.

You're mixing up the cause and consequence.

are you talking about the movie or islam?

I'm not saying i didn't appreciate it. I'm just saying that clairvoyance is never going to be a thing and giving an explanation how the different language thing has some scientific backing.

You obviously seem autistic tho.

they're one and the same from a non-linear perspective

Could you fucking imagine President Donald Trump handling this situation

There was no daughter before the movie's events.
Louise was a childless, unmarried single up to the point when she met Ian.
The daughter is conceived the day the Ayylmaos leave and dies far into the future, but Louise is able to see and experience all the good and sad things at that time. Yet she still decides to get together with Ian and give birth to her daugher despite her knowing how much they will suffer as she seems it's still worth it.

*as she deems it's still worth it.

fuck off, retard

But why is she seeing into the future before talking to the aliens?

she's not seeing into the future

once again, you miss the entire point of the movie

there is no past, present or future for her

Why is the gravity sideways?

Why does the husband leave? What makes her realize why he left when she has that moment at the car "now i know why my husband left"?

>You obviously seem autistic tho.
English is not my native language. I simply liked the movie a lot and thought about it.

You can't call this stuff clairvoyance. You're implying that Amy saw the future when she simply got alienpilled into a state where there is no such thing as future or past.

SO WHY IS SHE HAVING MEMORIES OF SOME RANDOM GIRL THEN? HOW IS SHE HAVING THESE MEMORIES, YET NOT TELLING ANYONE SHE SEES A RANDOM GIRL??

I understand this concept I just think it's fucking dumb. Without the ability to change things or at least the illusion of free will there is no drive to fucking do anything because what you have done has already been done. It would be a shitty existence I think.

I understood that as literally being a premise to the concept of time being non-linear. It's not like she is looking into the future, it's just the movie already showing the concept.

>We don't even know why the fucking gravity exists and how does it work.
I agree with everything you said in your post but YOU FUCKING WOT M88?

Once again, "memories" implies she's remembering something from the past which doesn't exist for her

>we taught apes sign language because we'll need their help 300 years in the future

the premise is a lot dumber than you realize

So these memories, what does she think of them? Who is this random girl to her? Since she's never had a child, how does she kind of know that that's her daughter?

Yes, people in fear and uncertainty might act illogically despite being otherwise rational and intelligent beings.

She's not? I've only seen the movie once when it was in theaters, If I'm not mistaken, the movie starts with the first scene that is staged like a flashback but in reality it isn't. She then starts seing the dreams of a little girl AFTER she starts learning the alien language.

Time for my morning shit. It will be more enjoyable than Arrival.

This has to be bait

She obviously wonders wtf is going on and she asks the ayyliums who the child is she keeps seeing. Until she finally gets it. Pay attention to the movie faggot.

I JUST WATCHED IT AND SHE NEVER ASKS THE ALIENS ABOUT THE GIRL.

She remembers the future the same way as she remembers the past.

because they live in gas and can float. Like water gravity is upside down, gas gravity is side to side.

>Gravity, or gravitation, is a natural phenomenon by which all things with mass are brought toward (or gravitate toward) one another, including planets, stars and galaxies.
So, why are the objects with less mass gravitate towards the objects with more mass again? "Natural phenomenon" is not an explanation.

0/10 memory

She asks during the last scene with costello. the brrip doesn't include subtitles

>"I don't understand, who is the child"

That's the literal line from the movie when she's in the smegma mist with the ayylium after getting flash images of the girl.

Also fuck you for making me look that up.

Oh shit you're right. Final question. Why is she having "flashforwards" when the movie starts? I thought she needed knowledge of the language to see the future?

;^)

Yeah they should have just built a wall around the aliens.

First off, you're retarded

Second, Aliens did it with scifi

Third she literally explains it to you and you were too dumb to notice

because she already has the power to perceive time non-linearly she just hasn't remembered she can yet.

Check what I said there, she's not having a flash forward.

You do realise that the movie is not told from the first person perspective and is intended for audience to watch it, do you? That scene is intended to fool the watcher into thinking that this was a flashback to make the final twist more impactful.

This is bullshit. What's with all the autists on this board who literally have no clue about cinematography and narrative styles.

That's impossible.

Literally makes no sense.

I only remember what she told the kid... she is sick and made the wrong choice. What was the choice? You didnt explain what made her realize either.

And no shit it is just scifi but surely there is some logic behind the sideways gravity. Not just doing something random just because scifi.

no, it's necessary

Because time travel shenanigans made her see it, presumably because the closer they get to her learning the language the more her brain desyncs from time. Alternatively she didn't see that first group of visions and they were there for thematic purposes/ to fuck with the audience. I don't remember her ever mentioning or reacting to the visions in the beginning of the movie

8/10

Didn't think such an interesting movie would make such a horrid mistake, but I guess it explains my confusion.

Nigga you really dumb.

she starts talking to her daughter and scenes of the daughters life comes up
"it all started that day the aliens came"
from then on we're seeing what present tense amy adams sees
you're stupid

That's literally what I said as well in less words faggot.

>Hurrdurr literally makes no sense

I even went and downloaded the movie again and have it open now... I still cant work it out. Fuck I'm stupid.

The movie would've been much better if the memories didn't start being shown until 30 minutes in. Why would you purposely trick the audience? Many movies have twists through good storytelling, putting shit in the wrong place isn't good storytelling.

I can't really remember what you're on about but the wrong choice must have been the fact that she decided to have the child anyways while she knew she was going to die of cancer young.

She started being able to remember the future, and she saw that she was going to have a daughter with hawkeye who was going to die young of an incurable disease
She does it anyways, but doesnt tell him
She tells him later (after the girl is born?), they divorce because he disagreed/she didn't tell him