Favorite movies centered around religion?

Favorite movies centered around religion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-NP-RsRGzVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SIlence

This one.

Unironically one of the best movies I've seen

We need more good movies about Islam desu.

Favorite movie about kikes would be The Ten Commandments, and favorite movie about Christianity would be Passion of the Christ.

Fucking this.

Saw it this past week and it really hit me hard. Masterwork by Scorsese. I'm a Christian, and a filmmaker and I'm the first to say that Christian filmmakers make utter shit on a regular basis. Hollywood makes better Christian films than Christians do, and that's messed up.

Compare "God's Not Dead 2" to "Silence" for proof.

But yeah, Silence was extraordinary. Made me tear up several times, for various reasons.

There are plenty of Islamic Movies.

You get it.

Winter Light
Virgin Spring
The Seventh Seal

>Christian filmmakers make utter shit on a regular basis

The best Christian art is good because it's good art, not because it has the word "Christian" tacked on to it. I wouldn't use shitty evangelical money-making mills like Pure Flix as the default example of Christian filmmakers.

You know why I mean by Islamic. Movies that take the stories/events straight from the book and adapt them into film, or movies about the religion set during the same time as when it was formed.

The movies you posted just include Islam/Muslims in them. Fuck off back to Sup Forums if you're going to shitpost instead of take a thread seriously.

>tfw even disney movies deal with more complex religious themes than god's not dead

youtube.com/watch?v=-NP-RsRGzVo

The problem is that I doubt such a movie could be made without someone threatening to bomb your studio. You might be able to make a movie about Ali or something, but I doubt you could even make a tasteful film about Muhammed like The Message in today's climate.

One hurdle you'd face about adapting Islamic texts is literally the Islamic community. For one, it is a moral sin to depict Mohammed in any form whatsoever. One of the early 2000's film was based in Islam and the talk about Mohammed plenty, but never show him. It felt weird and clunky.

Plus, I mean, not to sound bigoted, but you know damn well that if you took any creative liberties with an Islamic film, you'd be bombed or attacked with a box cutter. Even the most anally retentive liberal will tell you that. Because it has happened before.

Point is it's dangerous to make a Muslim film unless the film is a moderately dressed man reading from the Quran for 160 minutes.

Bergman's Faith Trilogy

Yeah that's true. It's a shame that the Muslims are so sensitive about these kinds of things.

The only way a movie could probably be made is for it to be produced by Arabs, and Muslims from Arab countries. But chances are it'll be shit then.

>Muslims are so sensitive about these kinds of things

Shias tend to be a bit more chill about images than Sunnis, so like I said you might be able to get away with a film about Ali or something, but yeah.

>I doubt you could even make a tasteful film about Muhammed like The Message in today's climate
considering they stick to islamic history and texts without even showing him, I don't see why not. I just think it's pointless, The Message did a great job already. it's not like passive aggressive emo Jesus where christians need to see him being brutally crucified over and over again in multiple adaptations to feel anything anymore about their religion.

Spotlight.

Some arab, Iranian and films from the Caucasus make Islam look so comfy.

Then I remember all the shit those niggas are doing right now and I feel conflicted.

There was less batshit Salafism in the 1970s and the Islamic world was generally more secular. I doubt that The Message could even be made today.

>the passion
>passive aggressive

Most movies with Christian themes are not centred around the Passion.

Comfy Islam is more traditional, the explodey Islam is largely because of Saudi Arabia and friends.

While this is true, only recently is Islam indicative of it's own holy texts.

Comfy, science Islam is false. The explodey, woman-smacking Islam is the one closest to their scriptures.

Yes Islam sucks I'm just saying it looks comfy on old films.

That's not really for you to say.

I mean, objectively, their holy texts say certain things that only recently have portions of the Muslim community taken seriously.

t. Religious Studies Grad student, minor in Abrahamic Theology

Yet here I am on Sup Forums. Wish I stuck with film...

It's like The Ten Commandments, but not shit.

And speaking of Dreamworks movies, has anyone else seen Joseph: King of Dreams? It's been a really long time since I last saw it and can't remember if it's good or not.

>I doubt that The Message could even be made today
given that the movie has multiple translations and is immensely popular in the muslim world, I don't. If anything, the majority of muslim populations would probably eat it up if it didn't exist already.

Prince of Egypt is amazing. The burning bush scene, with Hans Zimmer's music, is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

King of Dreams was also surprisingly good, but never hits the heights Prince does.

This or Fanny and Alexander. Both in my top 5.