Why isn't nu-horror actually scary at all?

Why isn't nu-horror actually scary at all?

It's less concerned with """making muh audience jump""" and more concerned with the craft of filmmaking.

It's aimed at teenagers/college kids

Creepy is always better than scary.
Scary is cheap, flat and blatant (and usually ridden with jump-scares), whilst creepy shit can get under your skin and make you feel things.

Horror movies have been aimed at younger audiences since the 50s bruh.

the film isn't scary OR creepy. its attempt at "atmosphere" is a sheer attempt at a veneer of subtelety approaching )4) Carpenter's 80s early work but misseds tha blalpark completely.

I've never seen it.
I just tried to answer your question.

Wrong. This was objectively one of the best horror films of the last 20 years.

That was one of the shittiest movies ive ever seen

I was actually laughing when the mom raped her kid to death and that naked guy was standing in the roof

Because if he monster is only a threat to people getting laid then much of the horror audience has nothing to be afraid of

It was a poorly executed mess with a horribly jarring, ill-fitting soundtrack, unlikable characters and bland plot with a forced sex element to artificially make people talk about the film. If it wasn't about sex, no one would have cared.

Old horror wasn't scary either, you're just older now and don't get scared so easy by guys in cheap costumes stabbing teenage girls.

idiot

please go to film school

>It was a poorly executed mess with a horribly jarring, ill-fitting soundtrack, unlikable characters and bland plot with a forced sex element to artificially make people talk about the film. If it wasn't about sex, no one would have cared

I liked the idea that it aka someone creepy is always literally coming to you.

Ok film, not great

Oh man

You fuckin rekt me

I can never post again

You would've been right if they didn't completely fuck up the tone of the movie around the halfway point, when the monster grabs main girl by the hair instead of killing her.

The entire movie up to that point was hammering into our heads that as soon as the monster gets to whoever it's after, that person is dead. Why does it just grab her by the hair? Any real sense of dread that the monster brought when it appeared was immediately lost when they started fighting back against it. That scene when the fuckboy's mom knocked on his bedroom door before raping him to death was hilariously awful.

>Oh man

>You fuckin rekt me

>I can never post again

>:^)

>Creepy is always better than scary.
well that is a shitty statement if I ever read one.

I guess what you're trying to argue for is atmosphere. Given, all the best horror movies have alot of atmosphere, but they manage to scare the living shit out of you while watching them as well.

Watching a 2 hour movie that makes you "slightly tense and unnerved" is not a good horror movie experience. That's not what you came for.

Paranormal activity 3 is on the shitty jumpscare end of the spectrum, then a film like VVitch is on the shitty "muh atmosphere" end of the spectrum. all though VVitch is a competently made movie, but it's just a dull horror film, and if that's the best horror got right now, then I'll wait this art horror out. It's been all over europe for a decade now and americans are finally catching up.

Name 12 from the early 2000s that are scary.

This movie had some generally creepy scenes. The last timeI was scared as an adult by a horror Movie was The Shining

You're an idiot.
The VVitch is great, and it is great precisely because it avoids the dumb scary tropes.

hmmmm

Good horror relies on a consistent atmosphere, and scares should add to that atmosphere and be consistent with the film's atmosphere and setting. Jumps for jumps' sake are pointless and cheap, but a flash of something unsettling should ramp up the tension in the back of your head, always waiting to see something else, something worse, the fear being derived from not knowing what it will be or when it'll arrive. Scares should play on the viewer's sense of safety as much as the character's. Horror is ultimately all about the fear of the unknown.

It Follow was not consistent. It relied on basic ground level imagery and poor, forced metaphors.

I agree that the VVitch wasn't scary but it was still a good film for what it was going for.

It Follows however was competently made AND had scary scenes like the one when she is alone at home or at the house on the beach.

Honestly how can one complain about those movies? They are a silver lining when all we ever get is shitty found footage and jumpscare garbage

>implying It Follows, Green Room, and Don't Breathe aren't fun movies

The only thing I liked about this film was the camerawork.

The only "scary" scenes I remember were the bit with the tall guy and when somebody's walking towards
the camera and none of the characters acknowledge it.

It really nailed the creeping sense of dread that most contemporary horror doesn't do. A jump-scare is fine and dandy, but building up tension within the narrative (and amongst the audience) is a real spine-chiller.

The story was piss-poor, but I really liked the idea of a supernatural entity that's like the Terminator and will not stop until you are dead. And the fact that it can appear like anyone else and slowly catches up to you is downright disturbing. You'll never shake off that sense of paranoia.

I do wonder if it can be caught on camera. I know the camera will record nothing until you throw a blanket or paint over it, but is that the only feasible way to ensure everyone near you is real? Can a camcorder or camera circumvent its stealth?

what is "scary" is highly subjective. my gf can't even watch the ring with me while literally not a single horror movie scares me. you probably find the newer movies less scary because you are older now. or.. you are just a pleb looking for jump scares idk

can you name horror movies that you find to be scary? I am just genuinely interested because I am not scared anymore by movies.

I really liked it follows but you're right, the beach scene didn't make any sense.

>You're an idiot.
great argument
>The VVitch is great, and it is great precisely because it avoids the dumb scary tropes.
but it went so far in the other direction that it fell into a whole other bunch of tropes.

like what?

>the craft of filmmaking.
pretentious bullshit

I never said the vvitch was a bad movie, it just wasnt a good horror movie. Maybe it's because I am from the country side, because shots of dark forests and fields just doesnt put any dread in me since I walk through them on a daily basis, mostly at night.

It was a fine film for all its historical accuracy, composition, yada yada, but good film craft doesnt always result in a great movie.

>all we ever get is shitty found footage and jumpscare garbage
The horror genre has always been oversaturated with crap. Just look at the slasher horrors of the late 90's. All the I know what you did last summer, urban legend and the oh so unintentionaly funny scream movies. All the fucking jason and freddy sequals. Makes the conjuring look like a masterpiece of horror in comparison.

By far, horror movies have gotten alot more atmospheric over the years compared to that decade of travesty.

minimalistic, pretentious, monochrome, depressing

what movies do you find scary? I am just not scared by movies anymore so I just love watching Horror Movies for the creepy atmosphere and it is refreshing when horror movies at least try to have some substance.

>t was a poorly executed mess with a horribly jarring, ill-fitting soundtrack

Get fucked nigger that had a 10/10 soundtrack tgat was almost too good for the movie

>How to spot the turbopleb

horror doesn't have to be scary you plen

>Can a camcorder or camera circumvent its stealth?

Yes that's how they were able to get shots of it in the movie.

well if you liked the vvitch I would recomend

Kill List (slow as hell first act though)
Sauna (2008) (finnish horror, very similar to vvitch in setting, period and themes, all though I think this one was actually scary)
A Field In England (not a horror movie, but has a really eerie vibe)

I cant think of many of the top of my head, will reply to this post if I come up with some later.

The only times I've been really scared by films was The Thing when I was 10 and The Blair Witch Project, the circumstances around the watching made it even worse. Me and a friend was going through my sisters VHS collection and we stumbled over a homemade vhs bootleg copy of the blair witch project. We was about 12 so we thought the shit we were watching was real. safe to say we almost shat our pants. My older sister laughed her ass off when we told her about it.

This movie has some scares but it's not about them, it's about building a sense of dread.

>putting don't breathe in the same category as it follows or green room

wow you're so insincere

I'd imagine it would be easy to throw a bucket of paint at it then walk it to a police station.

When they see an invisible man half covered in paint it'd be easy to take care of

I will definitely look into those flicks thanks, but I was actually trying to ask about movies that really scare you. I still always get a little disappointed when I don't get scared at all by movies

yeah, the horror can be funny.

don't breathe was better than both

Session 9
A Tale of Two Sisters
[rec]
The Others
Let the Right One In
À l'intérieur
Audition
El orfanato
Shutter (2004)
May
The Mist
The Abandoned
Lake Mungo

there's some decent ones out there.
What lies beneath (2000) was a decent one, more a mystery/thriller

Mothman (2002) was suprisingly decent. Not particulary scary, but a decent movie if you dont have anything to watch.

Session 9 (2001) pretty decent.
Stir of Echoes (1999)

>any of these
>scary

ok

the problem with horror movies is the long format, if you watch a shot is more scary.

Many movies have a pretty good story, idea, atmosphere, etc. But in some point they tends to become boring or took an unexpected turn and became shit.

Movies like It follows, Silent House or Session 9 had pretty good elements but at the end they are bad horror films.

name a movie than genuinly scared you beyond the age of 13.

At our age, the best we can hope for is tension and dredd.

damn you write like an idiot. Barely readable. And you call those movies boring basically because they don't have enough jumpscares.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. OP criticizes those movies for not being scary but I would argue that movies in generally aren't scary. Nobody itt has been able to name even a single movie that truly scared them

>how dare to don't perfectly master muh language

Jumpscares are shit, pretty similar to these movies.

Is that the bad guy from The Fast and Furious?

>the problem with horror movies is the long format, if you watch a shot is more scary.

I literally can't make out the meaning of this. So many questions

>Let The Right One In
Assuming this is the Swedish original, I'm really surprised you put it on a list of "genuinely scary movies", because it doesn't even try to be scary.
It's one of my favourite movies, though.

TOP 10 HORROR

1. Shinning
2. The Haunting
3. The Ring
4. JAWS
5. One Missed Call (Jap Version)
6. Signs
7. Nightmare on Elm Street
8. eepers Creepers
9. The Babadook
10. It Follows

Where's Jacob's Ladder you FUCK

>The Babadook
get the fuck outa here
The only horror in that film was the kid.

It never scared me, I enjoy that

I thought that was going to be dumb, but i was suprised how much I liked it

I'm a pleb, please recommend me some creepy/atmospheric movies, Sup Forums.

I loved these:
>Stranger Things
>The VVitch
>Let The Right One In
>The Cabin In The Woods
>The Thing
>Donnie Darko
>American Psycho
>Night Crawler
>Solaris
>Moon

Jacob's Ladder
The Thing
Nightdreams
Day of the Dead

The Thing is already on my list, m8 - but thanks for the suggestions.
Will have a look.

see

>The Abandoned
Most of your list is reasonable, but this is an objectively shit movie.

I don't want the genuinely scary horror movies, though.
I can't stand jump scares.

I meant the 80s version. My bad, for some reason I automatically assumed you meant the 2011 version.

American psycho isn't horror it's satire

Oh. I didn't even know they remade it.
Then again, they remake literally every cult classic these days. And holy fuck, they all suck donkey dick.

I didn't say it was horror, you illiterate mongoloid.
I said it was creepy/atmospheric.

Also
>implying satire

Oh well in that case, skip the 2011 version altogether unless you want a so-bad-it's-good flick. The CG is literally the worse I've ever seen, and scenes that could easily have been practical were CG

Watching Jacob's Ladder now.
So far it's great!
Reminds me a bit of Silent Hill

I don't understand why It Follows is so critically acclaimed. The horror elements are either not scary at all or laughable. Nothing in the movie is genuinely scary or creepy.

I really hope the praise doesn't come from the fact that it presents itself like an 80s movie (setting, soundtrack, fashion, etc.) I hope it's not so highly rated just because of some nostalgia circlejerk.

It still is horror you mongoloid