Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaquin_Phoenix_filmography#Film
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He was /ourguy/

COMMODUS IS NOT A MORAL MAN!

Remind me what he did wrong?

killed his father and tried to fuck his sister, for one

>tried to fuck his sister, for one
That was relatively normal though to 'preserve bloodlines', though, right? At least that's commonly thought.

Not in Rome no. Commodus was unique at the time because he was the biological son of his predecessor. Usually the Emperor would "adopt" his heir and that is how he passed his legitimacy down.

what was his fucking problem

This
Marcus Aurelius was a moron and let the love for his son cloud his judgement

Was it autismus?

He was a complete shitbag. He killed his father, who appeared to be a good Emperor. He is nothing like his father and is a degenerate with no aspirations or ambitions for Rome. He tries to fuck his sister, which I don't blame him for, but as an Emperor he was not the least bit likable.

emperors adopting heirs was done out of necessity not because of tradition

his son must be a sith lord

This is true. Vespasian was followed by his son Trajan and that was all good. I think the Severans were succeeded by their sons, or at least Septimus was. Commodus was just a piece of shit who couldn't handle a little assassination plot and went nuts and escaped to a fantasy land.

Commodus was too comically evil, is the only thing I don't like that much about Gladiator, he wanted to fuck his sister, kill his nephew for information, the senate for telling him he had to be responsible and basically all of Rome just so they wouldn't annoy him. That's so far seemed fine, but he was also pathetically afraid of the dark from childhood to adulthood.

Gladiator stained Phoenix's career for years, good thing he managed to get out of it.

Don't misunderstand me though, I love the film, but Commodus being so cartoony has always bugged me.

I like his books though. They explain a lot about his state of mind.

>Gladiator stained Phoenix's career
He became super popular because of it

look at what he got right after Gladiator:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaquin_Phoenix_filmography#Film

Only film you could consider noteworthy is Signs, which was one Shyamalan's last films, then nothing interesting until maybe Hotel Rwanda, in which Phoenix played a very small role. Best thing afterwards would be Walk the Line, though I haven't watched it so I can't really comment.

>>Gladiator stained Phoenix's career
U wot? Before that he was a literal who for 90% of people, and just River Phoenix's brother for another 5%. It boosted his career more than anything else he's done except maybe Walk The Line

I blame Gladiator for the fact that he didn't get important roles for a few years, he probably got offers to play villains but it's obvious he knew better.

Vespasian was followed by his son Titus and the Severians were a dinasty, but we're talking of the period in between (96-192, aka from Nerva to Commodus), in which the emperor adocted his successor. Marcus Aurelius fucked up

Yes, but there were really not a lot of male heirs to go around during this period. Hadrian was gay, Nerva was old as fuck and adopted Trajan to appease the opposing military faction, and it was something of a tradition to adopt heirs, but it wasn't unheard of. The Senators were fine with it, especially since Marcus groomed Commodus for such a long time.

>He was /ourguy/

Autismus Maximus killed by Chad like pottery

Reminder that he was never killed like in the movie
He was poisoned but puke the venom
Then a slave choke him in the sauna

One example of a movie ending being much better

Also, kid of his sister was from Maximus, right?

I always got the impression that they had a thing even though I don't think it was ever explicitly stated.

I hate it. It's such a cartoony representation of history. The last scene where they die and empress chick immediately starts giving a speech is retarded.
Phoenix did wonders to make such a character look decent.

not really
hollywood is destroying history
would've been better if comodo killed him on the arena
good guys don't always win

Gladiator's ending is one of the best. The bad guy dies but so does the good guy, and he gets to see his family once again.

I don't know much about Roman history, but I don't think most people are dense enough to think movies are a 100% accurate portrayl of history. It's exaggerated and changed to fit the medium of film andnit's audience. If anything it gets people interested in history and encourages to read about the real people and learn. If Hollywood didn't do these historical films no one but dusty old scholars and people already into history that already know the story in the first place would give a shit.

he would still see the family regardless
that scene is beautiful and there's no need to changed it
just keep comodo alive in the arena
he use to kill cripples with arrows in the colissum, they should've put that in the movie

almost bankrupted the "Throne" on Gladiatorial games. which was cool for a while but eventually it backfired.

what was his tax policy?

Flat, of course. Like any tyrant's.

Sounds like /our guy/ alright

>tfw the reason he was so frustrated is because he had a small dick and his sister kept cucking him

Bravo George

You don't count as merciful if you're the one who endagered them in the first place