The Master is one of the most honest, melancholic movies ever made...

The Master is one of the most honest, melancholic movies ever made. I think there's often a lot of confusion about what the point of the movie was or what it was trying to convey, but I think most people are just looking too deep into it.

For me, the basic subjects were about being lost, being without love and yearning for some meaning. You can see this most plainly in the processing scene and in the ending scene between Dodd and Freddie. Freddie tells him about his loss in Doris, how it didn't work for whatever reasons, due to his own misguided or misunderstanding of life and who he was. He is otherwise wandering in life, but this was the one thing he could recall to when he just closed his eyes for a moment to think. As the movie goes on, his relationship of sorts with Dodd grows but Freddie leaves again. He goes to see Doris only to learn she has been long gone. It's difficult to say if that would have anchored him down again anyway, but he comes to terms with it and finds himself back at Dodd again. Dodd tells him he can go on and be free, truly free the way Dodd always envied him for, or that he could stay. Freddie replies to him, "Maybe in the next life," before cracking a faint and sad smile. Dodd is seen as a masterful manipulator throughout the movie through the Cause, and while some say he was simply manipulating Freddie with ill intent when he replied back to him that they will be sworn enemies in the next life, I truly do think that PTA wrote that the way he envisioned a lot of people in actual relationships behaving. They want them to stay. They do something that is ultimately seen as poor behavior, but they're not manipulating to hurt them intentionally. They're telling them don't go. But Freddie is a sailor of the seas, and just like how he went off to Shanghai when he couldn't stay with Doris, Dodd sings him off and wishes him a slow boat to China. It's a movie about being that feeling of being lost in this world and isolation of it.

Nah it's mostly about talking shit about L Ron Hubbard without risking a lawsuit.

i guess i should have posted this at better hours

there are no better hours on Sup Forums. This is a celebrity and blockbuster gossip board.

that sucks. i haven't been on Sup Forums in years. it wasn't like amazing then but it did seem possible to talk about stuff. i'm sure there's still plenty who like nice discussions though.

been a while since i seen this so i dont really know what you're going on about op

People rave on about There Will Be Blood as PTA's best work. But I, for many reasons, find The Master to be the true gym.
There's something about it, maybe it's the multi layers that you can keep peeling for eternity or maybe it's the superb acting coming from all sides of the board in the film.
I don't disagree with your view, nor I have any extensions for it, but I just needed to express my love for that film.

Yeah this movie isn't so much about the origin of scientology as the dialectical relationship between freddie and dodd

I like the subtle "redpill" in this movie.

I also love the scene when the master gets jerked off. top kek.

The scene in the jail cell is great.

"the master" lost his cool and we the viewer learn that his entire "religion" is a scam ? ?

thoughts? OP

I didn't like the Master all that much, but yeah pretty much what you said is true.
Care to fill me in on what other people think this is about?
Doesn't that become sort of obvious when he loses his cool against the man who was debating with him?

>"the master" lost his cool and we the viewer learn that his entire "religion" is a scam ? ?

The film is not about how scientology is bullshit. Everyone knows all religion is nonsense and the film takes that for granted from the very beginning. This attitude can be seen in the scene when the son says "You know he all makes it up, don't you?"
The film is about all those desparate people who cling on to that bullshit despite that fact. The people who have the unquestionable desire to be lead, to give away their responsibility. It's a film about all the lost souls that are being harvested by religion.

Not anymore now when the majority are mobile users that come here for a quick shitpost

>The Master is one of the most honest, melancholic movies ever made

Agree.

Also have you guys accepted that the movie was about the Nieztschean distinction between Master and Slave morality and the Apollonian/Dyonisian duality?

I mean take any time you need

EVERYONE KNOWS NOTHING.

The Master is my favourite film, so this is a top quality thread for me.

I'd definitely agree that people over analyse The Master, going too in depth when I'd say that it has much simpler and more universal themes than what others may think.

I think it's a movie, that everyone who watches it can take away something different from it.

For me personally I see it as a film that's about love that can't be. This is most present in the love between Freddie and Lancaster's friendship, but their opposing ways of life; Freddie's free spirit and Lancaster's dedication to his life's work is what means that their love can not be.

I think this movie is a unique and beautiful portrayal of that kind of love.

Honestly, that's pretty much how I saw the movie, good summation. Probably one of my favorite films ever honestly with two incredible performances.

My favourite movie of the decade

Any anons got the ingredients for freddies magic potion.

It is really good. And I agree that it is at heart a very simple movie. You can project a lot onto it, including the Scientology critique which I think was obviously intentional.

The Scientology thing was honestly what made me watch it. After seeing it I realized that really wasn't the point of the movie. Freddie and Lancaster's relationship is. Freddie's character arc is deeply sad in a way but also kind of beautiful.

You can look it up, It's called torpedo juice. It was a known alcoholic beverage during WWII.