Can we talk about how fucking good this was?

Can we talk about how fucking good this was?
>music
>non-humanoid ayy lmaos
>kino disguised as a flick
>art film without being pretentious
Better than Interstellar, Gravity and The Martian.

Arrival > Interstellar > The Martian > Gravity

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-story-behind-using-the-same-word-for-blue-and-green-in-Japanese
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue–green_distinction_in_language#Japanese
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This board have not taste in good movies. And yes this is the best sci-fi in a fucking long time. I might say since Alien

it was boring and stupid

so what will happen in 3000 years?

like any good movie. It is left for your imagination.

No cause I didn't understand the time travel so it was an objectively shit film

the biggest problem with the film. Humanity will either be extinct or long gone from earth by that time. Good luck finding us we probably warped into a super massive black hole we didn't know about on our gigantic quintillion dollar ark ship.

There was no time travel. But you can see time non linearly

how does it feel to be an easily impressed pleb?

it was pretty good, flashbacks and the ending killed it for me though because i didnt care about her character, but it was an interesting idea and it was executed pretty well, i just didnt care about her. part with the chinese general was pretty fucking sweet though
aliens were cool, first contact stuff was the stuff i enjoyed the most.

In 3000 years!?!?

if civilization can utilize resources in a way that doesn't destroy the earth and we invest more in science then yah we can exceed way beyond that.

Gravity and The Martian aren't even science fiction.

What kind of monster goes through with having their daughter knowing they die horrifically at 15? Also the time shit doesn't work because she absolutely could change her mind after she got all her visions and bamboozled destiny/time or whatever.

The film's logic was actually too stupid to enjoy.

Haha so true! It's a fantastic film. Best sci-fi film in recent memory.

The Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

what are you talking about? most of us will die in pain

it's crap

you're a pleb

is this mentioned in the movie or something?

She didn't have ANY choice in anything because everything has ALREADY happened in the future. Time is palindrome. Get it, you dumb fucks.

Jesus fucking christ, I can't believe I'm discussing movies here with you regularly.

What makes it crap?

I don't think so man. I'm pretty sure the point of the movie is that the universe is deterministic. Meaning that no matter what we think, it will have the same outcome. Imagine being her once she sees all of the visions. She sees her whole life from beginning to end. She doesn't perceive time as a series of linear events anymore.

No need discussing it. Let them go back to maconoughty shouting Morphy

time/palindrome-connection was cool, didn't realize that until now

also I love you user

Because then she'd be depriving her daughter of life in the first place. All of her children would have died eventually anyway, user.

You can't deprive a living thing of life if it isn't alive in the first place.

Interstellar >>> Arrival

>music
they put the fucking music when they got it to the spaceship in the first time so You couldn't know if the sound you hear was music or fucking ayylamos and spaceship sound.

Time isn't linear, it's alive to her already

So if I have the choice to smash my thumb in a car door or pound it with a hammer will it break, bruise, and bleed in exactly the same way no matter what?

Louise's talk with the General gave me Lost Highway creeps.

> Arrival > Interstellar > The Martian > Gravity

You should seriously consider necking yourself. Gravity easily btfo all of them

It was too stupid for words. Even interstellar made more sense in the last 20 minutes.

Gravity was fucking garbage.

can someone clarify for my, i just watched it and must have missed this whole 3000 years thing, when did that happen?

So then why did the aliens come at all

And there lies the failed logic of this film. It belongs alongside shit like Mission to Mars.

Last meeting with the heptapod, Costello tells her that they need humanity's help when Half-Life 3 comes out.

one of the squids hectopod alians mention that they will need earths help in 3000 years or some shit

How can you like something so nonsensical? kys honestly

It was probably right when you started surfing the internet on your phone because the movie is nearly unwatchable at that point.

She could clearly alter the future with knowledge of the future, though. She did it with General Shang's cellphone number.

(i don't own a phone)
wait, were the cephs subtitled?

Can someone explain me the 3000 year thing? Was it an after credits thing?

yeah that part was

is this a meme? It's literally explained in this very thread.

fuck, not in the version i watched, thanks for explaining

Mission to Mars is a national treasure.

Well to begin with I'm not sure if you even should put Gravity in the same box with pure sci-fi like interstellar or arrival since it is basically a drama taking place in space, there's no "fiction" part in it, it's realistic and that's one of the reasons why it's so grand.

dude, those subs are crucial to basic understanding of the film. When Louise is in the "smoke" and talks to the alien for the last time, the alien language is subbed.

Explain the concept of non-linear time, the idea that time is alive, and how learning a language can make you perceive time non-linearily.

If you watched a camrip the bottom of the screen might have been missing which had the subtitles.

why does every max richter song sound the same

It was so incredibly boring, knowing that there is no way Sandra Bullock is ever really in any danger.

Her flying around in space with a fire extinguisher was such a farce.

> knowing that there is no way Sandra Bullock is ever really in any danger.

Did you actually watch that movie?

>no matter what we think it will have the same outcome
>we help the aliens in the future

why did the aliens even come then you fuckin retard?

I watched Wall-e. Close enough?

>Hurry up and interpret this alien language!
>Why are you teaching them 'hello'??
>We need to ask them what their purpose is! Do that instead

>non-linear time

yeah... right...

I know Sandra Bullock won't die or even get seriously injured. It's like watching a capeshit film. You know the good guy is gonna win in the end just as sure as you know that Sandra Bullock the astronaut is gonna be fine. There is no tension. Inarritu has no understanding of anything other than flashy camerawork and cinematography.

Watch the movie

I might've missed it then. I watched the FGT release. Maybe I just fazed out for a second.

Wait subtitles. Fuck that might've been it. I probably had shit subtitles or something.

>27 phone posters ITT

Sad

>from the director of Prisoners

not at all

Non-linear time is the concept that time is another dimension. We, as humans, can only see the measurement in constant change.
Imagine the graph for life-expectancy
On one axis you have current age, on the other axis you have years expected left to live.
This graph will change each year though. So 70 yr olds today will only live to 90 let's say on average
But 50 yr olds will live to 92 on average let's say. So in 20 years, the life expectancy for 70 yr olds will be to 92. This change in the graphs over time could be a third axis and thus a 3d graph could be constructed instead. But we can't perceive a 4d graph as humans.
Well here, time acts as the 4th dimension. So we can observe what any 3d moment is like at any given point. And we naturally perceive this linearly. But this moment is constantly changing. The aliens can perceive that 4th dimension of how the 3rd dimension changes

quora.com/What-is-the-story-behind-using-the-same-word-for-blue-and-green-in-Japanese
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue–green_distinction_in_language#Japanese

In Japan, green is seen as another shade of blue. And this has been observed to have the psychological effect such that Japanese people used to be terrible at being able to distinguish the two colours.
But as multi-culturalism has become a thing over the last few decades, there they are now much better.
But because of this, Japanese traffic lights have a blue light instead of a green light because it's the same thing to them

Non-linear time isn't something that scientific devices can see but that are senses can't detect.
Our senses can perceive time. We have no way of knowing if it's possible for them to observe time non-linearly. Probably not, but we can't know that for sure
So the statement "this is entirely ridiculous and obviously impossible" is completely false. If you want to claim that it's true, please provide some evidence or shut the fuck up.

>inb4 you don't read this

1. Civilization can't do any of that without setting a maximum population limit that is strictly controlled, in a manner unfair to many people and families except those sticking within that number.
2. Even if Civilization managed it, Humans are ambitious and individualistic by nature, so the whole thing will be destroyed by those seeking justice and righteousness from the unfairness of a system whose survival is dependent on unfairness towards most.
3. G forces make rational space travel impossible for humans unless we shed our organic bodies to replace them with mechanical or digitized mediums till a destination is reached with high speeds,
or a way is found out to preserve a human body and consciousness for a few thousand years of travel at the speeds equivalent to the maximum allowed acceleration or deceleration (g force) a human body can take.
Which means you can flush your sci-fi dreams down the toilet. Star Wars and Star Trek are a sham for the uneducated idiots who don't understand g forces. Realistically speaking, all the crews in Star Trek should be ripped apart into blood clouds with even the shitty impulse speeds.

>Intersellar not last

ksy

Agreed, excellent film. Beautifully directed, interesting ideas, good message. 9/10

>implying humans will exist in 3000 years

Well they will now, that's part of the point.

This is the best broscience post.

It doesn't matter, the movie isn't about aliens at all.

Damn lads i didn't expect those kinds of feels at all.
And in opposition to Interstellar,these didn't seem forced as fuck,but maybe it's the way it felt to me.

same

I kinda cried

and it wasn't forced, like intersellars fucking forced-ultra-emotion-please-cry scenes

>tfw abbot death process

any good torrent out?

yes

>Arrival > Interstellar > The Martian > Gravity
Good taste, OP

Arrival > Moon > Interstellar > The Martian > Dogshit > Gravity > Homeless person's intestines > Passengers

Almost perfect, let me correct that for you.
Arrival>Moon>The Martian>Gravity>Homeless person's intestines filled with dogshit>Interstellar

>science FICTION

Contact basically shits on all of the movies mentioned.

Arrival was very underwhelming 2bh.

Arrival is Villeneuve's latest yearly-attempt to convince pseudo-cinephiles that he's an artist. In it, he has a vague non-sensical sci-fi plot about time travel. Where smart films, such as the original Iron Man or Christopher Nolan's Inception, construct a believable world and then weave sci-fi themes around it, Arrival goes full idiocy. We get telepathic aliens that look like hands and can see the future who teach Amy Adams to time travel so that she can save the world so that the world can save the aliens in the future. Sounds stupid? That's because it is. And don't be confused by the trailers, there are no big set-pieces, no explosions or shoot-outs. Just 2 hours of Amy Adams acting confused before she realises that Jeremy Renner is the father of her dead baby from the future. Yeah.
Arrival is an attempt to copy Nolan's contemporary classic, Interstellar, but without the interesting space-travel and without the emotional impact that leaves you in tears. I'd say Villeneuve needs to take a break from filmmaking to figure out his strengths, but BladeRunner 2 is coming soon so we know there's no hope of that happening.

>Contact
lmao