It might be ahead of it's time, but why would anyone enjoy this when better films are being made today?

It might be ahead of it's time, but why would anyone enjoy this when better films are being made today?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/440749/intolerance-dw-griffith-film-was-greatest-movie-ever
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>but why would anyone enjoy this when better films are being made today?
You can say that about any old movie you didn't like

Because better films aren't being made today. Movies today are by and large made for autistic ADD riddled manchildren and chinks to jerk off over special effects except for the occasional Indie or (very rarely) good original Hollywood movie

Casablanca has the best script know to man, plebeian. Why watch anything today when you can watch the thousands of classics is the better question

Here's you reply you fucking neanderthal

low quality b8

stick to making nolan threads lad

most american classics are shit

Cinema is an American artform just like baseball is an American passtime.

The best movies are from America. and the best athletes are from America.

Kill yourself, friend

>anything
>better than casablanca

Pleb.

nationalreview.com/article/440749/intolerance-dw-griffith-film-was-greatest-movie-ever

sorry, most classics are not "timeless", they're just laughable by today standards, especially the character studies
>The best movies are from America
nope

Because films aren't on a binary scale of being better or worse than other films. You don't watch Casablanca because it's better than modern film, you watch it because it's great as its own experience.

>nope
See here, Sup Forumsedditor

Stick to games and stop baiting

Because better films aren't being made that also appeal to a large audience - Casablanca isn't the best film, but it is a great film that appeals to a large swath of people.

films from 60s or 70s have much more depth than 99% of american classics, like it or not

How would you know if you've only seen like one? I guess they don't have enough explisons and quips for you. American cinema is shit right now, the classic cinema is the greatest the world has ever seen and not likely to be surpassed anytime soon.

How uneducated can you possibly be? Are you only saying that because you can't watch anything in Black and White?

Classics aren't even a thing restricted to whatever you think they are restricted, every decade has plenty of classics.

>Are you only saying that because you can't watch anything in Black and White?
yeah its not like 90% of 60s films are in black and white, right?

Well that's certainly a cute unsubstantiated opinion you have. New Hollywood produced plenty of great movies and directors... but so did classic Hollywood, and it existed for a lot longer.
Stop pleb signalling.

>something literally only teenagers on the internet say

WOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm clearly talking about hollywood film in the classical era, so until 1960

>films from 60s or 70s have much more depth than 99% of american classics, like it or not
Too fucking bad OP said >better films are being made today.

Stop moving goalposts you tween wannabe hipster douche.

The 60s and 70s are chock full of garbage outside of a pool of remembered movies by intelligent directors and screenwriters. Most of the 60's and 70's are dumb spy movies, exploitation, action, and terrible comedies like Animal House.

Cinema had class in the Golden Age of Hollywood. It's called the Golden Age for a reason. It was a walled off garden where only the best were allowed in, and many entered and stayed in with the silent era up into the 60's. Really the 30's are the best decade in cinema.

>but so did classic Hollywood
Classic Hollywood produced all the best directors. Hollywood literally invented the language of cinema, that's why movies are well-regarded as an American artform.

The only reason young people don't recognize the plethora of greatness that Classic Hollywood created is because either New Hollywood directors are still alive and working today, the films are in black and white, and/or the scripts are too intelligent and quick-witted for them.

>Hollywood literally invented the language of cinema
Ah yes, the famous American director Sergei Einstein.

>It might be ahead of it's time
This and "good for the time" are the two phrases I hate most in regards to film discussion. It's like you can't even start to think critically about a film, objectively or subjectively, so you just say "sure it's good but I don't like it". It's a weird appeal to authority to write films off

No.

Try D.W. Griffith

>Most of the 60's and 70's are dumb spy movies, exploitation, action, and terrible comedies like Animal House.
do you know there's a world outside of the USA, right?

>better films are being made today
No they aren't.

So you've been a baiter all along? Nothing better to do than shitpost about that on /tv, faggot?

Modern movies care more about flashy CGI effects than actually being interesting.

And this
>it might be ahead of it's(sic) time
is not even correct about Casablanca. Its greatness isn't for a factor like that, nor films need to be 'ahead of their own times' to have timeless value.

>So you've been a baiter all along? Nothing better to do than shitpost about that on /tv, faggot?
ironing

Can we atleast agree with this about old movies: no horror movie made before the 70s/80s is scary.

Consider this supposed horror classic. Really atmospheric, good acting from the main actress, great cinematography and lighting, generally well made, but it's not scary at all.

Not really, I didn't start a bait thread

No horror movie is scary unless you're a child.

Genre pictures are for plebs anyway, and horror is by far the most pleb genre.

No film is actually scary after you hit a certain threshold.

>Genre pictures are for plebs anyway
Only a pleb would say that

What's your favorite classic, Sup Forums?

It'll never be surpassed until society as a whole reinvents itself. We're still dealing with the same issues and themes from 100 years ago today, that's why new films can't top the old; everything that needed to be said about relationships and romance was said with films like A Streetcar Named Desire, Casablanca, etc. Filmmakers today don't try to surpass it because now it's a machine purely for profit.

You clearly have not seen Diabloique. Watch it before you read one single thing about it. One of the greatest movies ever made.

who else here /filmnoir/?

old films rely on overblown orchestral music to create atmosphere, silence is scary, so old films will never be scary.

My favorite film of all time.

you could say that about anything really, books videogames art music really anything. I don't get what your trying to make

>old films rely on overblown orchestral music to create atmosphere
You do know people watched silent films in silence, right?

>Better movies are being made today

Watch move movies faggot.

Gonna third that films aren't scary, but they can inspire dread, fright, etc.

Night of the Hunter isn't explicitly a horror film but it has this strange dreamlike quality to it, so that whenever it gets dark the threat that it can get even darker really gets under my skin. Hard to describe

>Filmmakers today don't try to surpass it because now it's a machine purely for profit.
That's asinine, Hollywood of the past was even more of an assembly line for films than today. Look at how vast independent film has become in the past 50 years. You could say Hollywood stifles art but there are so many more avenues outside that than ever before

This. It's been the worst period in movie history since the 1980s.

No this is just plainly false.

this
OP douchbag

Yfw you will never appreciate what cinema promised mankind, then denied it with its very devolution.

>Today's movies are made for utter retards

Even new horror movies aren't scary. Seriously name one. Rosemary's Baby shits on all new horror movies btw.

>You do know people watched silent films in silence, right?
Yes. the "silent" part gave it away

Then why say "rely on overblown orchestral score"?

Because I was talking about 40s/50s/60s (with few exceptions) films

bogart is a manlet

what the fuck did you just call me?

The best horror films are from the 20s and 30s though

this. old movies are boring as fuck

a manlet

>tfw 5"8

yeah and the best classical music is from the medieval era

Stop making fun of Bogie

How bout you come over here and suck my willie?

no

I'd give anything to get a blowjob from lauren bacall

you know if your handy with a shovel you might not have to pay anything

anyone else wish they were alive in 1950's Hollywood to witness the seediness of it all

You think she's really in the ground? I would suspect a museum

I sometimes wish I could take a time machine back to the the roaring 20's.

Me? I'd order crab legs (from the 1930's)

Hah.

Griffith, Keaton, Ford, Coppola, Scorcese and Kubrick would like a word with you.

You're right about the barrier of entry being lowered by the growth of independent film-making. However modern Hollywood avoids taking risks, seen by the steady decline in original scripts and growing number of reboots and sequels.
If we were to break it down dollar-to-dollar, I'd say less money is being spent on new ideas than ever before.

>people watched silent films in silence
Not necessarily true, plenty of theater houses would have an orchestral accompaniment to "silent" films. Pretty sure Chaplin scored some of his own films actually.

>The best movies are from America
Definitely not even close to true

Mulholand Dr and Inland Empire were pretty fucking scary

This, also FWWM and Ep. 29 had me fucking shook like no other movie, even when for FWWM where I knew what was going to happen

I disagree that the majority of movies coming out today are better, but I definitely think the 60s and 70s were better
So many movies from Classic Hollywood come off as rehashed ideas of other hollywood classics. Even if most of modern cinema ideas were made during this time, it doesn't stop the majority of movies from being safe, repetitive cash grabs
The 60s and 70s were a lot more interesting because they tried to take these formulas and rules and break them down and make something genuinely new and interesting. Couple that with the emergence of the importance of theme over plot

>So many movies from Classic Hollywood come off as rehashed ideas of other hollywood classics. Even if most of modern cinema ideas were made during this time, it doesn't stop the majority of movies from being safe, repetitive cash grabs
>The 60s and 70s were a lot more interesting because they tried to take these formulas and rules and break them down and make something genuinely new and interesting

Can you give any examples of any of this? Curious.

>Couple that with the emergence of the importance of theme over plot

Themes can always be extrapolated from a work that isn't overtly about a theme.

What better films? Nothing made in the last 10-20 years has made any lasting impression on me. You either have a flick or a tryhard art house film.

>The 60s and 70s were a lot more interesting because they tried to take these formulas and rules and break them down
Breaking rules isn't creating anything new. And it's certainly not new or inventive. It's the cinematic equivalent of being a slacker. D.W. Griffith literally invented the rules of modern cinema, and I don't care what you say, a well-written script with fantastic acting will always be infinitely more impressive and well-made than pointing a camera whimsically with no sense of composition and incoherent cuts. That's why the French New Wave is complete bullshit. None of those people invented anything or made anything meaningfully substantive. They just made sophomoric indie projects without any rules, without any script. That's why kids tend to prefer them over something by John Ford or Ernst Lubitsch, Michael Curtiz, William Wyler, or Frank Capra. They don't understand actual sophisticated craft.

>Definitely not even close to true
Have some facts to back up that the best films aren't from America?

I just enjoy 'em cuz they're really fun. It's literally going back in time, and getting a glimpse into society in a past age. The dialogue and the way people talk is different. How different technology was. And it's really interesting to see the same themes and human experiences explored from a different lense (being cucked is nothing new). And Pre-Code and Golden Age Hollywood films have stylish class that films now lack for me.

>tfw I started to watch The Informer last night and really liked it but fell asleep 20 minutes in
>this happens every time I'm actually in the mood to sit and watch something "seriously"

I'm either staring at a screen not immersed or I'm fighting off sleep. god just doesn't want me to enjoy kino

Hitchcock was English you numbskull.

Are you retarded? Vertigo is an American film, a Hollywood production. You wouldn't call Lolita a Russian novel just because the author was Russian, would you?