What are some of the best story/character arc about redemption?

What are some of the best story/character arc about redemption?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KiW2HOHLBbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there any religious redemption stories by the way?Like a journey movie but with spiritual tones.

Zuko's redemption happened way too late in the series for it to be believable. He should have joined the Gaang during the attack on Ba Sing Se

season 2 was doing it so well but the show went to shit on season 3. they should have gotten zuko on the team much sooner instead of wasting time with fucking painted ladies and dance parties

Unforgiven
American History X
Cool Hand Luke
Schindler's List
Hero
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Leaving Las Vegas

Damar from star trek DS9

Then the three act structure wouldn't work.
It's formally perfect man.

We should have had 4 books. Season 3 was a rushed mess.

4 books?

Korra has 4, but the second book is the worst.

Also Aang has 3, but they are perfect.

les miserables
watch the 10th anniversary stage production not the movie

>Also Aang has 3, but they are perfect.
except they arent. far from it. specially book 3

still a great show

Book 3 only had 5 plot episodes, the first attack on the fire nation and the climax of the story. The rest of the episodes are filler. Another season would have been stupid.

Hell naw. It's great.
>season 1: villain with some likability
>season 2: down on his luck anti-hero who we finally truly see
>season 3: working to be a better him, for good

blame the direction the season took, not the fact that they ran out of things to make. hell, zuko's storyline on the shitty finale ended with a fucking cliffhanger and they had to make crappy comics to wrap it up

Fuck no. Ending was somewhat weak with the deus ex machina but another season was unnecessary. They just needed to tweak the ending a bit.

I agree with this. I think they should feature less filler and focus on the main plot. Though i won't deny the bloodbender storyline (which later become important) and the beach episode is very well done.

Iroh is the tightest shit ever, amazing character and even made me cry at one point.

I rewatched it recently and it's not even funny how much better it is than Korra. I barely even remember truly liking anything from Korra aside from the Wan episodes. If Korra had been more like the Wan stuff I would have loved it.

>anime kiddos disliking "filler" aka character development and finishing multiple character arcs
get off my board

I don't dislike filler if it's good but if they made another season they wouldn't have had anything but filler. And it would have been badly paced because they were waiting for the comet, so they only had two months to tell the whole story and 3 seasons was the right amount of time, in my opinion which is correct. Also the katara and aang romance subplot was told perfectly and stretching it out for another season would have been forced if they were still in relationship limbo or having second thoughts.

>When they fuck that Chad's shit up at the end of the beach episode

Still makes me laugh

I was mainly disagreeing with that they should have had more "plot" episodes. I agree that 3 seasons was perfect

>Shawshank Redemption

For a film rated very high (9.3 on IMDB), it rarely got spoken especially around here.

yeah, tweak the season 3 ending by making the day of black sun the finale so we can then have an entire season of zuko and the gaang. and its even more infuriating that they wasted the short time zuko had with a gaang in stupid mini trips with zuko + another character with none of the comfy travelling around with the whole group. now that I think of it the show's pacing starts falling apart when they get to the eastern air temple.

wan's story was absolute shit. to this day I cant understand how people who dislike LoK liked avatar wan.

Is Avatar the greatest animated show ever, bros? I think so.

It is if you're a weeaboo. If you want an actual white european cartoon watch the Batman animated series.

season 2 > season 1 > season 3

season 1 is really underrated. people often forget how much great world building it had. plus lets not forget the siege of the north, the storm and the blue spirit

>fire/water, sun/moon, red/blue, etc
>it would go with the fortuneteller prediction that katara would marry a powerful bender and that there's no love life in aangs future
>aang is shorter, younger and less mature
male child and teenage girl, creepy
>there was much more of a dramatic romantic spark between zuko and katara
in the moment at the catacombs, their fight at the north pole, the southern raiders and the finale showdown they had great chemistry
>the parallel loss of both their mothers
>katara had a big sister/little brother or even mother/son dynamic with aang
their "romance" felt like borderline incest (not the wincest kind, the disturbing kind)
>the whole deal with aang having to let go of katara to master the avatar state.
aang finally chosing to let go of his earthly attachments in favor of the spiritual path for the sake of the greater good would have been awesome character development. it would represent him maturing and accepting his duty to the world above his personal feelings. we got a fucking lion turtle ex machina instead

I could go on...

>then you didn't love like I did!

Season 1 has "the great divide" so it is objectively shit. Season 2 had "serpent's pass" so it is objectively worse than season 3.

Peridot redemption was initially handled pretty well relative to my expectations, which admittedly were low.

Completely agree. Although Wan left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, I enjoyed those episodes the most out of LoK... on tier with the Aang episodes

season 3 had the painted lady lady and worst of all - nightmares and daydreams.

lol random out of place anime references and momo in a samurai duel with appa XD. Epic FTW

But book 3 had Toph in cute Fire Nation clothes jewing people out.

nightmares and daydreams was comfy and it showed aang stressing out, which built his character. serpents pass (time race against pregnancy) and the great divide were so generic if they removed them from the show no one would notice.

>male child and teenage girl, creepy
Aren't Katara only like two or three years older from Aang? Its not that rare for older girls to date slightly younger boys.

Unless you count that 100 years being frozen in iceberg, than yeah its a bit awkward.

2 at most.

>he thinks nightmares and daydreams added character development to aang but the serpent's pass hasnt

Moses in The Prince of Egypt was pretty good.

>serpents pass (time race against pregnancy)
And introducing the Drill if you forget. Reunion with Suki and Jet trying to bond/recruiting Zuko.

it's not the necessarily the slight age difference. it would be okay if aang was 15 and katara 16

it's the fact that aangs balls havent dropped yet while katara has tits and periods

Was there? Aside from the dead moms they were a bit more water and oil to me. Zuko is abrasive and head strong and seems to enjoy dry sarcasm Katara is sensitive and honest not at all his type. Aside from the whole STARCROSSED LOVERS meme I don't see them getting along in the long run.

I think in Moses case its more of a spiritual journey, but i think it counts too.

Season 3 of avatar was 100% kino.

To be fair, Aang's voice has changed a fair bit by the end of the series.

>aang's fucked up voice in the Guru when he speaks to Sokka

Is Toph best girl?

I just don't understand this. I just finished watching the series, and already knowing about the whole "Zutara" craze, I expected some kind of tension. I got nothing. The show was clearly gearing toward a romance between Aang and Katara since the beginning. I honestly felt that it was the best developed relationship in the show, next to Zuko and Iroh's.

Looking at this kind of relationship through your modern perspective is ignorant desu. There are like less than a million people in the avatar universe and aang is the strongest motherfucker in the world. Even if katara didn't have sexual feelings for aang it's not absurd for her to try to love him for ambitious and social reasons.
>m-muh pedo
no

MERUEM KING OF ANTS

"The Boy in the Iceberg" 8/10
"The Avatar Returns" 8/10
"The Southern Air Temple" 7/10
"The Warriors of Kyoshi" 6/10
"The King of Omashu" 6/10
"Imprisoned" 6/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 1: The Spirit World" 7/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 2: Avatar Roku" 8/10
"The Waterbending Scroll" 5/10
"Jet" 7/10
"The Great Divide" 3/10
"The Storm" 9/10
"The Blue Spirit" 8/10
"The Fortuneteller" 3/10
"Bato of the Water Tribe" 5/10
"The Deserter" 6/10
"The Northern Air Temple" 6/10
"The Waterbending Master" 7/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 1" 8/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 2" 9/10

"The Avatar State" 7/10
"The Cave of Two Lovers" 5/10
"Return to Omashu" 7/10
"The Swamp" 5/10
"Avatar Day" 4/10
"The Blind Bandit" 6/10
"Zuko Alone" 9/10
"The Chase" 8/10
"Bitter Work" 7/10
"The Library" 6/10
"The Desert" 7/10
"The Serpent's Pass" 7/10
"The Drill" 7/10
"City of Walls and Secrets" 8/10
"The Tales of Ba Sing Se" 7/10
"Appa's Lost Days" 8/10
"Lake Laogai" 8/10
"The Earth King" 7/10
"The Guru" 7/10
"The Crossroads of Destiny" 9/10

"The Awakening" 7/10
"The Headband" 5/10
"The Painted Lady" 3/10
"Sokka's Master" 6/10
"The Beach" 8/10
"The Avatar and the Fire Lord" 8/10
"The Runaway" 6/10
"The Puppetmaster" 7/10
"Nightmares and Daydreams" 2/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion" 8/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse" 8/10
"The Western Air Temple" 6/10
"The Firebending Masters" 6/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 1" 7/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 2" 8/10
"The Southern Raiders" 6/10
"The Ember Island Players" 8/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King" 5/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters" 6/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno" 6/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang" 7/10

protip senpai. The reason why the Zuko/Katara ship was popular was:
Zuko= the character most fangirls had a crush on

Katara: the character fangirls identified with the most

Simple as that.

Kikuchiyo from seven samurai
Jules from pulp fiction
The driver
Barron trump's inevitable biopic

the fortuneteller is good tho

Nah. You have to be willfully ignorant to not see why people shipped it, and it wasn't just the self insert thing, though that is a big factor. People, mostly women, love rival dynamics in romantic pairings (see: romances like Han and Leia, etc) and with Zuko the obvious trajectory was him becoming friends with the Gaang, so everyone knew it wasn't going to be an enemy thing forever.

I think another factor was that people saw Zuko as more on Katara's level of maturity than Aang. Just design alone does that, since Katara and Zuko are both almost full grown and Aang still looks like a kid.

What got stupid about the whole thing was that they refused to see that Zutara probably wasn't happening when they continued to give Katara romantic moments with Aang. Even I'll admit that there was a fire in the IDEA of Katara and Zuko as a romantic couple, but it was never actually sparked or hinted at in the show despite them picking at scraps to "prove" it.

To this day i still prefer the yorkshin city arc than the chimera ants, but Meruem being the villain protagonist with the most character development is one thing that might make me reconsider that.

>Zutarafags

>"The Waterbending Scroll" 5/10
You're a fucking retard with shit taste, no offense.

>"The Southern Air Temple" 7/10
Oh come on its better than that, the agni-kai scene alone already secure an easy 8/9.

>All third season finale episodes below 8
No

El Rato to Soarin' Ted

Was Avatar the first fandom when the fans decided that shipping meant their favorite ship must be canon or it's worthless and screamed at everyone about it? That's a common thing now but it wasn't in the early days of shipping.

Man, I still remember watching the premiere on Nickelodeon when it aired. Memories.

>"The Siege of the North, Part 1" 8/10
>"The Siege of the North, Part 2" 9/10

Those are the best episodes, you pleb.

>tales of ba sing se not 10/10 based on Iroh segment alone
You have no soul.

Definitely.

Are there any movies about a pedophile trying to find redemption

the ending of M. assume that the murderer is also a rapist

>Oh come on its better than that, the agni-kai scene alone already secure an easy 8/9.
you may be right so I'll concede. 8/10

>All third season finale episodes below 8
on that I'm not budging. so many things wrong, so much wasted potential, so disapointing. at the top of my head the zuko and iroh reunion was the only moment I thoroughly enjoyed

fantastic moment but the overall episode is brought down by the likes of the tale of aang

This is an Avatar thread now. But i would like to add my man Vorenus from Rome if you are looking for a good redemption story.

Mfw he ended up forgiven by his children as he is close to death in the finale ;_;

Zuko Alone is 11/10 actually.

Is the best episode

Most Zuko episodes are top tier

Leon the Professional

>"The Fortuneteller" 3/10

Get the fuck outta here.

>cave of two lovers 5/10
that was LITERALLY the best filler episode, you dumb nigger

I'm watching clips of this for the first time in probably 10 years...was his voice always this squeaky? He sounds like a little kid overdubbing the cartoon

The Woodsman

>Leon the Professional
>Pedophile

You do realize its young Natalie Portman having a child crush to an older guy right?

I noticed his voice gets deeper by season 3. It sounds a bit odd when you binge watch it.

SECRET TUNNEL
SECRET TUNNEL
He's an edgy 16 year old. Sounds like an appropriate teenager going through puberty to me. I wouldn't describe it as squeaky though. Might want to make sure the video you're watching isn't sped up to avoid detection or something.

there's literally nothing good about that episode besides some mildly funny sokka moments. prove me wrong

the nomads were great, the forced romance was pretty bad

he is actually this kid from hook

I thought of it more like a moral journey. Religion aside, he was a fun-loving, careless prince, fucking with sex slaves for kicks, threatening other slaves, there are some flashes of good in him (like when he frees Sefora), but he's still generally a bad guy. His transformation from that to a selfless, humble leader is a big redemption.

"forced romance"
What a buzzword.

name ONE more badass moment than Aang stopping that fucking volcano

Honestly, I expected Katara and Zuko to get together because Zuko is objectively better in the eyes of practically every woman. He's tall, he's got a full head of hair, he's not a doormat, he's not like 3 years younger than her....there's a reason that Katara/Zuko is so popular among those tumblrinas.

I know it's a cartoon, but if the show was more "realistic", then Katara would not have ended up with the timid undersized bald kid.

>it's a Zuko episode

"The Boy in the Iceberg" 8/10
"The Avatar Returns" 8/10
"The Southern Air Temple" 7/10
"The Warriors of Kyoshi" 7/10
"The King of Omashu" 7/10
"Imprisoned" 7/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 1: The Spirit World" 7/10
"Winter Solstice, Part 2: Avatar Roku" 8/10
"The Waterbending Scroll" 7/10
"Jet" 6/10
"The Great Divide" 6/10
"The Storm" 9/10
"The Blue Spirit" 8/10
"The Fortuneteller" 7/10
"Bato of the Water Tribe" 6/10
"The Deserter" 7/10
"The Northern Air Temple" 6/10
"The Waterbending Master" 8/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 1" 9/10
"The Siege of the North, Part 2" 10/10

"The Avatar State" 8/10
"The Cave of Two Lovers" 6/10
"Return to Omashu" 7/10
"The Swamp" 6/10
"Avatar Day" 7/10
"The Blind Bandit" 8/10
"Zuko Alone" 9/10
"The Chase" 8/10
"Bitter Work" 7/10
"The Library" 8/10
"The Desert" 7/10
"The Serpent's Pass" 8/10
"The Drill" 7/10
"City of Walls and Secrets" 8/10
"The Tales of Ba Sing Se" 7/10
"Appa's Lost Days" 7/10
"Lake Laogai" 9/10
"The Earth King" 8/10
"The Guru" 9/10
"The Crossroads of Destiny" 10/10

"The Awakening" 8/10
"The Headband" 7/10
"The Painted Lady" 6/10
"Sokka's Master" 6/10
"The Beach" 7/10
"The Avatar and the Fire Lord" 9/10
"The Runaway" 7/10
"The Puppetmaster" 8/10
"Nightmares and Daydreams" 6/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion" 8/10
"The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse" 9/10
"The Western Air Temple" 8/10
"The Firebending Masters" 8/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 1" 7/10
"The Boiling Rock, Part 2" 8/10
"The Southern Raiders" 7/10
"The Ember Island Players" 8/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King" 8/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters" 8/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno" 9/10
"Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang" 9/10

>unironically liking the Wan episodes
Shit taste. Only good thing they had going was the art but they still fucked it up with the characters being drawn in a modern style.

>aang stopped a volcano
>avatar roku literally died to a volcano
Holy shit what a fuck up roku was.

Unironically Korra's attempted suicide/avatar awakening at the end of season 1 of the spinoff series. TLA is better overall, but imo nothing will top that moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=KiW2HOHLBbw

>tfw the music at 0:30 kicks in

Who's being redeemed here? He didn't kill anyone so why does he need redemption? Unless it's Red who needed redemption.

>tfw you will never be as badass as zuko

I wish i was a qt firebender lowborn trap and got to work my way up the ranks to general firemaster and slay the avatar

Just realized that this show had a diverse as fuck cast without anybody making a big deal out of it. A Tibetan, two eskimos, and a chinese girl save the world from some Japs.

i'm the only one that did find it weird that lava bending is treated like an extent of eath bending when they clearly used it as firebending in the fire temple episode in avatar

and also how metal bending was treated like ACTUAL metal bending like mercury when it was shown that it was actually only bending the dirty present on metal and only Toph could do it since she was a blind and she was the only one who could see the fragments of dirty in the metal and this is why not even Bumi the 120 year old strongest earth bender couldn't do it

My nigga

Con Air

>Katara gets involved in the final Zuko vs Azula fight

Bumi was probably the strongest earth bender. Doesn't mean he could see or realise he could bend the earthen materials in the metal.

also isn't it implied in the episode cave of two lovers that earth benders learned bending from watching the moles, firebender from watching dragons, water benders from watching the moon and airbenders from watching the flying bison then why in the korra's series it is stated that bending came from a magic gift from big giant lion turtles

>What is old age

romance was ok-ish, they're awkward 12 yr olds
cave of two lovers had
>those chinesey water colors telling the story of omashu
>badger moles
>zoka on literal suicide watch from cringe
>that awesome crypt cave
>that fire nation blockade showing they're not to be fucked around
>that cliffhanger of omashu subjugated by the fire nation