A question for Americans, what do you think of as the sort of "default" white ancestry in America, if one even exists...

A question for Americans, what do you think of as the sort of "default" white ancestry in America, if one even exists? In Canada we certainly have certain places where there are Ukrainian, German, Italian or whatever else ethnic communities but generally speaking the overwhelming white "default" ethnicities are French and Scottish/English, depending on location. If you're in Quebec and you meet a white dude you can bet his name is something like Michel Tremblay, if you meet a random white guy in Ontario it's probably Dylan MacDonald or something. But what would you say is the default American? Anglo-Saxon? German-American?

Statistics say German American but all names have been Anglicized so any Schmidts are now Smiths etc

German or some type of British (English, Scot, Irish)

Is there anywhere in the country were English/British Americans are still the main ethnic group?

Some mix of British, Irish, and German.

German/Italian

The first Americans were just rogue brits tho.

>Italian
Just because everyone in your dago enclave is at least part Italian does not mean you're common across the country.

British, German and Swedish.

Just anecdotal, no stats to back this up but I think Canadian Brits were/are more Scottish and American Brits more English. Common surnames in America seem to be typical English surnames whereas in Canada there's a TON of "Mac-whatever" surnames

It's similarly anecdotal, but my mom's side were almost all Appalachian hillbillies originally from England. They have surnames like Barker.

Southerners, especially Appalachia tend to be more English. Midwesterners tend to be Scandi/German

>Midwesterners tend to be Scandi/German
There are lots of Slavs in the Rust Belt

Irish aren't British

If you don't have at least one pre-Revolution British ancestor, you aren't a Real Murrigan

>relying on we wuz testimonies

utah

Depends on where you are. Imo most people in Southern Ontario outside of the major centres are pure WASP. Except for in and around Kitchener than its German.

He's telling the truth though. During the World Wars a lot of people Anglicized their German names to avoid being ridiculed.

are you fucking thick?
I'm not talking about the second part of the post you literal mong

My family has been here since the 1680s. You're wrong.

WRONG

So do Australians not know their family histories?

I know Americans struggle with geography, but Ireland isn't part of Great Britain

not many people care enough and those that do don't claim to be german because their great grandfather was german

Sorry, you're right, I should have read your mind.

Is the perception that we're mostly all just Anglo-origin with a tiny dash of some other stuff in there?

Its English but they cite "American" as their ancestry as it's the default.

Cue meme image with German and Mexican immigration on it

Yanks are just bizarro Brits

We're not.

for most of the country it's british
for the midwest it's german

for most of the country it's a mix

Yeah, desu. Most non-Americans think of the average American as being like Anglo with some Irish, German and maybe Italian mixed in.

That's weird and kind of illogical.

Central Appalachia

All the "natives" are Northern Irish-descent.

>A question for Americans, what do you think of as the sort of "default" white ancestry in America,
British, Irish, or German

It's difficult to say the exact percentages because of self-reporting. In 1980, there were 50 million "English Americans". In 2010, there 20 million English Americans. Did they all die? Or did people just start emphasizing other ancestries. Regardless, those are the big ones. If you look at that "American ancestry map", you know that section colored "american"? Those are white people named Williams, Jackson, Johnson, etc. , aka people of British descent. So the dominant white American group is from the UK (including Northern Ireland). Followed by Germans and Irish.

From an American perspective, sure, because you can see IRL that it's not accurate. But I'd wager a lot of foreigners would think of Canadians as being more French than we actually are too. It's only one province that's majority French speaking but when I travel one of the first questions people ask me is if I speak French.

That's a fair and good comparison.

^^^
If you ask any 50/50 English/German, English/Irish etc. Americans will tend to claim the non-English ancestry to seem less ordinary and more """cultured""". English is seen as a default and too culturally similar to America to be interesting

That's not illogical at all, it's actually very accurate. The perception that it's illogical is what's illogical.

>sure, because you can see IRL that it's not accurate
I disagree. The average American actually is of some mix of Brit/German/Irish descent.

t. half-black, half-swedish American

Just so people understand that I've got no skin in this game, it just bothers me when people lie about their heritage.

>"I'm totally German!", says John Joseph Thompson IV, whose entire family is British except for one German grandfather

lots of people don't even know there are French in Canada

Brits are just bizarro Americans, the unfortunate timeline of the Anglo. Everyone was speaking in the American accent at the time of the revolutionary war

does accent determine ethnicity?

For most of the country it's a mix with majority British blood

Not really illogical as English have always been at least our cultural ancestors, even if you don't believe it's still biological. Even the descendants of slaves have English names

Hell, even the blacks have a lot of british blood. Centuries of slave rape doing their work, I actually feel bad for some black men because when they marry white women their kids pop out white and everyone calls them a cuck. Just look up Mike Conley's son. Or more personally, my dad ordered a paternity test for me and my little sister because we looked so unlike him (wavy hair, white skin, freckles, etc.).

It's telling of how the ethnicity is naturally

what did he mean by this

No, it doesn't. I speak like a "regular American northeastern white", but I am unquestionably mixed race "light black" father and "pure white" mother. My father also speaks flawless "white" northeastern American English. Accent does not determine ethnicity at all. It is entirely down to appearance.

American accents are determined by region and neighborhood, not by ethnicity.

I can't speak to the luck of fathers of mulattos but I know Thomas Jefferson was keen on the black booty and I can't imagine he was alone

>it's actually very accurate
That's wrong. Chances are, it's more like 1/2 A, 1/4 B, 1/8 C, 1/8 D

yes that was what I was implying

Oy m88ie lets put uhnuther shrimp awn thuh bawwbeee!!

ARe YOUr ANCEtORS PROuD???

hmm

Sorry I am really really drunk so sarcasm flies right over my head. But I do have a useless degree in int relations with a minor in history so i kind of know what i'm saying

Accent doesn't determine ethnicity yeah but it determines culture. We have a cultural ancestry from the brits is all I was sayin'

>majority British blood
How? The just one grandparent meme?

>accents are determined by region and neighborhood

This is true and I think y'all actually agree with each other but he was replying to the dude saying Brits are less British because their accents changed. I think most can agree that's not the case

>Irish
triggered to be quite frank

Aren't whites in Texas and the deep south (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee etc) pretty much all British descended? And Texas alone is like 28 million people (not all white, granted, but still). So British Americans would still be a very large overall number, no?

Why? There are a TON of Irish descended Americans. And it's not all 1/36th or whatever the meme is. If you go to an ethnic Irish enclave like south Boston or whatever you'd find shit tons of people who are 100% Irish ethnically speaking

The English migrants have a few centuries on the >'WW2 German migrants anglicizing their names to hide' meme.

And the regions where the Germans tended to settle i.e. Midwest and western, tend to be far less populated than say, the east coast.

The thing about British ancestry is that it is so ingrained and, for lack of a better phrase, New world ancient, that hardly any Americans are pure-blood British anymore whereas you still find that in German Americans. A lot of white Americans don't even know their ancestry.

Well "American" racial option means colonist relatives, aka English and/or scotch-irish or Scottish

>hardly any Americans are pure-blood British anymore
>A lot of white Americans don't even know their ancestry.
I think these two are probably connected desu. I'm willing to bet pretty much every non-hyphenated "white American" is British-American and lots are probably "pure" depending on location.

I'm triggered he called us British.

I assumed he was referring to "Scotch-Irish"/Ulster-Protestants. They were a big ancestral group in MURCA (formed the planter class, pretty much)

>British Americans would still be a very large overall number, no?
Right, but that doesn't mean that an Anglo + Italian American person is 90% English and 10% Italian because he lives in a town that's 90/10 Anglo/Irish. Chances are, he's either fully or half Italian.

My whole point is that individual mixes don't work like demographic percentages.

But they are so loud about it

At least Cajuns are too small to form political resistance in the US

See

*West British x

Only in Utah west of the Mississippi
They didn't move much farther than the original 13 colonies
Then again 2/3's of America population is by the Atlantic coast

Right but my point was about numbers, not geographical distribution. The deep South is still pretty much all British-American and black, no?

A hodgepodge of Great Britain in general, but German in the West.

My last name is Cline, Anglicised form of Klein.
Smith, Johnson, etc. are all still the most popular.

Deep South is basically 100% Ulster Scot

>what do you think of as the sort of "default" white ancestry in America

Scandinavian, Minnesota is the real America.