Stop being a contrarian faggot.

stop being a pleb

>the language you speak determines the way you see the world
>she becomes fluent in an alien language that has a circular view of time
>deus ex machina

>only recalls events at key points in time to the plot

Hmm

she sees it all simultaneously

So like real life, where we access memories when we need them or when we are triggered to? Dumbass.

How does looking at hieroglyphs make you being able to see future?

It doesn't, it's called fiction you fucking moron.

>learns alien language
>can see the future

This is a weak plot. Yes, it's trash.

Yeah.

I saw this and didn't like it. Was it good? I'll like it if it was good.

it's an alien language, man.

you might as well ask why their spaceship looked like a giant stone egg, didn't emit any exhaust, didn't have any thrusters, propellers, or jet engines, and didn't create any disturbances in the atmosphere. At a certain point, science becomes indistinguishable from magic.

I can't believe that of all the movies Sup Forums could have chosen as flavour of the month to shitpost about you faggots went for fucking Arrival.

What else is erroneously being pushed as the next sci-fi masterpiece currently?

i said it before ill say it again, "atemporality" isn't relatable at all, it's a popsci nolanesque plot device that totally drains the humanity and convincingness out of the experience

The movie's reception says otherwise you deluded pseudo-intellectual baby.

I'm glad you agree that it's a sci-fi masterpiece.

Remember when sci-fi movies were used to explore human conditions such as obsession, desire, responsibility, and the truth, where sci-fi rules were grounded in reality instead of nonsense fiction like "learning an alien language allows you to time travel because why not" or "magical bookcase".

I haven't hard a lot of talk about Arrival IRL. I mean, some friends saw it and recommended it, but it didn't look like a movie that leaves that big of a lasting impression, there isn't much to discuss about it. It's pretty straightfoward, unless you go full autism and sperg about "muh determinism" like all these thread end up.

Point is that there aren't even memes about it, it's just "it was shit" threads.

Jesus, that cringe. You're clearly applying a double standard. I can tell you're from Sup Forums because of your horrible doublethink.

I almost didn't see this movie because of you faggots. You all say so much shit about it, I just assumed it wasn't good. But today my girl and I wanted to go to the theater and where I live Arrival just came out (in Korea). We had nothing else to see so we watched it...

It was really fucking good and you all are a bunch of terrible mouth breathing meme spewing redneck ass blasting shit eaters who don't know cinema from the back of a cereal box, and I'm never coming to this board again.

I'll stick to Sup Forums, christ even those fags are better than you autistic sperglords.

nice try, lots of shit tier movies are well received so why shouldn't a slightly better one please the unwashed masses?

>deluded pseudo-intellectual baby
unnecessary like you

>I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE SO IT MUST BE SHIT

Reminder that film is a visual medium and if you base your whole opinion just on the literal plot points then you are in fact a first class supreme plebeian.

Bith Arrival and Interstellar are good movies until the final 20 or so minutes.
The problem is when screenwriters have to shit out an ending that won't leave normies angry.

>it was multidimensional love all along
>the super advanced technology is a superpower linked to the only emotional element of the movie
>everything is well within your intellectual capabilities, don't worry if you didn't get the science. You can ignore it.

That's what happens when you allow women to emancipate tbqh

>the underlying concept being conveyed justifies the artistic value of its delivery

nice take shitlord jk its actually bad

Was this as good as Contact or pretty close to as good as Contact?

They are not comparable. Contact is much better.

Contact had a better climax I guess, but Arrival is better overall.

It's much worse than contact.

I don't care if this movie has problems, there are several moments and scenes that make up for it.

Contact had a better soundtrack so it's better

The "underlying concept" here is just a tool to propell the actual narrative.
The sci fi setting, ayylmaos and the science are only plot devices to the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it.

I blame marketing for all of your preconcieved expectations of it being a hard sci fi first contact ayylmao movie.

They are completely different movie with different themes and ideas, just a similar setting.

But if we compare them just by filmmaking elements, Contact is written better, while Arrival has better cinematography, editing, sound design, visual effects and overall production design, or said simpler better execution.

>the underlying concept
i worded that poorly, i meant the underlying theme (which was an attempt at a heartstrings allegory of communication/connection/birth

i'm saying that those underlying themes are not effectively conveyed through shitty scifi tripe, it directly undermines those themes (for me anyway)