It's a Sam spergs the fuck out over semantics and derails the whole conversation episode

>it's a Sam spergs the fuck out over semantics and derails the whole conversation episode

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1gdpyzwOOYY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew
youtube.com/watch?v=LV7eVvph69Y
youtube.com/watch?v=sBWblyAcPds
youtube.com/watch?v=WVl3BJoEoAU
youtube.com/watch?v=gyeWwjZBq9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=1gdpyzwOOYY

Semantics are kind of important.

What did you expect? Him and Peterson to fellate each other over dumb SJWs?

>expecting substance from a pedantic hack like Sam

>FUCKING TRANNIES TRYING TO REDEFINE THE TRUTH ITS LIKE ANODDAH SHOAH HERE REEEEE

>btw truth is subjective, read the Bible :3

What did he mean by this?

>giving a shit about Sam Harris

What the fuck has this to do with films

I expected them to move on after one hour of unproductive debate as Jordan tried repeatedly.

Too much meditation gave him autism.

Damn, did Zizek really say this? Truly /ourguy/

Big Ziz probably doesn't even know who Harris is

He was trying to move on because he couldn't make a convincing argument.

Truly thought provoking

dam did he rlly say this???/

>religion, especially christianity is true!
>i just need to redefine the words religion, truth, and christianity first though.

And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology he doesn't have any evidence for. Literally the only reason anybody cares about Peterson is that he opposed SJW's.

So, does he actually believe in god and the bible or does he just assume it to be the right thing to do in his bastardized view of truth?
This is confusing as hell, especially since he normally when talking about religion doesn't preface it with a 30 minute explenation of how he defines truth.

>Literally the only reason anybody cares about Peterson is that he opposed SJW's.

This

His world view is very messed up, but you can't really argue axioms. There's no point in it.

There's also a new group of retards who fell for the Jugnian horoscope-psychology meme he pedals

No it was because the two men are so different in their outlook that this could not be reconciled, and if the conversation could go anywhere it had to move on.

Sam being the smart scientist but social idiot couldn't let it go without a resolution. Hence Peterson trying in vain to get off the fucking subject multiple times but Sam just couldn't let it go.
The autist.

>tfw to intelligent to like Islam

I'm sorry, what is this in reference to?

first he redefines truth so that anything that's morally correct is considered "true" regardless of facts, if it's morally ambigious he falls back on the definition of truth everybody else uses. So if you asked him "is it true that event X happened?" you wouldn't know if he's making a statement about morality or fact when he answers.

secondly he redefines religion so that everything he doesn't like about it isn't "really" religion, see: idiot communists arguing that real communism has never been attempted.

he then makes the unsuported claim that religion is an evolutionary adaption and is what keeps humanity alive, and therefore by a practial morality is morally correct.

in summary he makes two large and pointless redefinitions of words and a claim about biology he has no evidence for to arrive at "christianity is true".

The only thing he really achievs is confuse the fuck out of everyone that listens to him because he's really bad at clarifying his redifinitions.

Sam v Peterson the podcast.
Watch in awe as two men argue semantics for an hour and a half. Sam's best argument for a determinism viewpoint was that conversation.

>muh metaphysics!
>you don't see the full picture!
>macro, not micro!
>lemme tell you about Gulag Archipelago!
>nazi! KGB!
>truth is whatever I say it is!
>free speech!
>christianity!
>perfect man!
Liberal arts was a mistake

The very fact you think he said this is the reason we need MORE people like Harris.

The 21st century has seen a concerted push for the celebration of ignorance. Knowing nothing is the new intelligent.

Mock Harris all you like. But if all you have to replace him is your own stupidity, then shut the fuck up.

And all that efford just so he doesn't have to admit to himself that his parents and their community were idiots who indoctrinated him into a unsubstantiated nonsensical cult.

Funny how he considers himself anti-postmodernist

i don't know, i don't like to speculate about motives.
the important part is that his arguments are confusing and when you finally understand them they are shit.

Well there is no YouTube specific board

Why would we need people like Sam Harris when these ancient Jewish storybooks explain everything so well already?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc9i1G7eew

>modern """"""""""""""""""""""""philosophy"""""""""""""""""""""""

I like sam harris, but he goes off the rails sometimes

Peterson's university lectures are on youtube and they're pretty good

>And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology

>saying this while trying to defend SJW tranny demisexual otherkin propaganda

really made me go "hmmmm"

Based Ben 'Nuke The Islam Pham' Stiller

It's not about semantics at all though, they have extremely different definitions on "truth" and their outlook on society and ethics is very much based on those. So if they can't agree on something that basic there is no real point in discussing anything else since their arguments (just like the definitions) would be on radically different levels.

Why do people hate Sam Harris so much?

I have only read his blog posts and some podcast about ISIS, but he seems fairly rational and innocuous. Is it because he criticizes people from both the left and the right?

>Why do people hate Sam Harris so much?

because he bitches about semantics instead of focusing on the actual ideas being discussed. Its a really dressed up version of the faggot that thinks saying "ad hominem" means he automatically wins the argument.

>if you're against petersons religion you must be for the SJWs!

no, he and them are both idiots who use the same kinds of shitty arguments.

>because he bitches about semantics instead of focusing on the actual ideas being discussed.
it was Peterson who wanted to pointlessly redefine "truth" for 2 hours, don't blame Harris for that. Peterson could totally express his ideas using already established terms about morality and human fitness but he's so assblasted he just has to make "truth" into a confusing mess before he's ready to go on.

literally who

Richard Dawkins of our generation

To be honest, I'm not interested in hearing either Harris or Peterson talk for any amount of time. Even less so when they're together.

I love Sam Harris but he seems to be unable to have a conversation with people he disagrees with

fuck žižek... can't even speak english properly

He doesn't accept that there might be an equivocation between bombing a village with USAF plane and a suicide bombing that destroys that same village.

>FUCKING TRANNIES TRYING TO REDEFINE THE TRUTH
No he's annoyed that they're defining WORDS, by themselves. AND that they could make up any word, on the spot, and demand that you use it to address them.

>And even given all of that his argument relies on a unsubstantiated claim about biology he doesn't have any evidence for.
Which claim is that? The claim that belief systems are all essentially the same from a psychological perspective? Because I'm pretty sure that claim is based on psychological testing. He conducts psychological tests y'know.

>I don't like it, therefore it's a meme

This

What shitty arguments does Peterson use then

>he then makes the unsuported claim that religion is an evolutionary adaption and is what keeps humanity alive, and therefore by a practial morality is morally correct.
nice oversimplification faggot
>"christianity is true"
Where did he claim that?
>The only thing he really achievs is confuse the fuck out of everyone
fucking brainlets I swear

The only people that are against Peterson are fedora tippers and SJW marxists. His ideas are very accessible if you take some time to actually listen and understand what he's saying.

I didn't listen to the whole thing because it's 2 fucking hours

But I would guess that Peterson thinks that what we *think* is true, or believe to be true, is important (since he's a psychologist)

Whereas I'm guessing Sam Harris thinks that truth is necessarily contingent on objective facts about the world, and it doesn't really matter what we think, since he's a "scientist"

Is it something along those lines?

>Which claim is that? The claim that belief systems are all essentially the same from a psychological perspective? Because I'm pretty sure that claim is based on psychological testing. He conducts psychological tests y'know.
the claim that all religion is an evolutionary adpation that keeps us alive, which is the lynchpin that makes it morally correct under his definition of morality and therefore true under his stupid redefinition of truth. The evidence he brings up for this is shit like: good primate eyesight is corelated with the prevalence of poisonous snakes in their enviroment -> book of genesis, adam and eve with the snake.

>Is it because he criticizes people from both the left and the right?
Yes.

He is simultaneously against SJWs and the alt-right and especially on the internet people find that unacceptable, you have to be part of one of the two camps. Identity politics overrule independent rational thinking.

youtube.com/watch?v=LV7eVvph69Y

>nice oversimplification faggot
stating something with more clarity != oversimplification.
just because peterson is incapable of describing his ideas without meandering and mumbling for 2 hours doesn't mean they are so complex you cannot express them in less time.

>Where did he claim that?
youtube.com/watch?v=sBWblyAcPds
can't be arsed to find the timestamp because like i mentioned before it takes him forever to talk about this shit.

>if u dun liek him u marxist!
:^)

>He is simultaneously against SJWs and the alt-right and especially on the internet people find that unacceptable, you have to be part of one of the two camps. Identity politics overrule independent rational thinking.
it's kinda funny how the posts in this thread defending Peterson do so by accusing others of being marxists.

Peterson = "everything that serves human or societal survival must be true"

Harris = "truth and values are totally different concepts and truth isn't based on Darwinism"

His blue steel is better than Stiller's

>stating something with more clarity != oversimplification.
but you are fucking wrong. "religion is an evolutionary adaptation" is such a stretch of what his actual ideas are, the only conclusions I can make is that you either didn't listen to him enough to understand, or you are a fucking brainlet. which one?

>can't be arsed to find the timestamp because like i mentioned before it takes him forever to talk about this shit.
but you can be arsed to shitpost for hours and attack his ideas which you get completely wrong on the internet, I wonder why

>>but you are fucking wrong. "religion is an evolutionary adaptation" is such a stretch of what his actual ideas are, the only conclusions I can make is that you either didn't listen to him enough to understand, or you are a fucking brainlet. which one?

>you are wrong but i won't say how or in what way, that makes me right

good job kiddo

Peterson is a hack.

>"I'm no longer the smartest person in the room so now I'll get worked up and act like a child"

He's not really rational. He thinks that he's invented a perfectly "rational" system of morality, but still cannot explain how it bridges the is-ought gap.

Does Sam Harris have the post punch-able face ever? He is so fucking smug.

>PhD in neuroscience and an accomplished writer
vs
>school professor with a patreon and youtube channel
kek

B-but he is popular on sites like Sup Forums, the list goes on!

>it's every episode

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, Noam Chomsky? I’ll have you know I graduated with a PhD in neuroscience, and I’ve been involved in numerous thought experiments, and I have over 300 confirmed psychedelic trips. I am trained in fMRI research and I’m the top philosopher in the entire Western hemisphere. You are nothing to me but just another regressive. I will wipe you the fuck out with my magic wand, the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words (in context). You think you can get away with PC propaganda on the internet? Think again, Noam. As we speak I am contacting my secret cult of Harrisites across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call "free will". I can email you anywhere, anytime, and you can take me out of context in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just by quoting me. Not only am I extensively trained in religious debate, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Project Reason and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little Marxist. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little regressive leftist comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn muslim apologist.

Jungian style Diest.

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up nuke my name is sam but u can call me t3h a1heIst oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very rational!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet rational ppl like me _… im 49 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 write ab0ut nuking muslims w/ my girlfreind (im a philosopher if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favourite form of racism !!! bcuz its SOOOO rational!!!! shes rational 2 of course but i want 2 meet more rational ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 profile alot of brown people here so give me lots of commentses!!!! ISLAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch his lectures

>everything that serves human or societal survival must be true

That doesn't even make sense

I had no idea Sam Harris has his own internet defense force until today. Or is that unstoppable guy is working overtime?

I still can't understand why "terrorism can only be solved by killing them" is a controversial statement. He is not arguing for interventionism in the sense of forcing democracies in the middle east, just that in the specific case of groups like ISIS there is no convincing to be made and you can only kill them.

Calm down your autism user.

Just use persuasion.

>it's a Sam thinks Islam is a barbarian religion that given a chance would wipe out people like him and everyone he loves, but he still supports importing millions of them into western countries because he doesn't want to be called racist

What a hack

>Jordan Peterson:
>Fucking marxists are horrible when they redefine truth to serve their purposes and claim that all those times communist states killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true communism.
>Now listen to met redefine truth to serve my own purposes and all those times religions killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true religion.

how would that compare to lets say washington dc?

>>Now listen to met redefine truth to serve my own purposes and all those times religions killed millions of people and did horrible shit that wasn't true religion.
I know, what a hypocrite. Let's wipe out Muslims to stop it from happening in the future. They are savages anyway.

Say what you will about Sam but it's hard to deny that he must be one of the calmest people, even when he has good reason not to be calm
youtube.com/watch?v=WVl3BJoEoAU

Does he really support that? After all that shit he says on Islam

Cenk is slowly descending into madness.

Man he really lost it with his stance on climate change, and also pretending that everything Trump does is just "aiming high" and that he doesn't really mean it.

>if you think peterson is bad you must think Harris is good!

I don't like Harris either, Jordan gets a huge free pass all over the internet though when he's just as stupid as the people he criticizes.

It's just redditors

>PhD in neuroscience
>let me tell you about philosophy...

No.

most of the thread just seems to be about how Peterson is bad in general, not much in the specific defense of Harris. There's also some Peterson defenders screeching about how everyone is a marxist.

>slowly
He has already gone completely insane. He was arguing yesterday that antifa rioters are actually 4channers scheming to defund liberal universities.

>Jordan is as stupid as dude trannies lmao people

yeah good to know we both agree on this point.

t. mutilated gremlin-looking tranny

>Atheist
>Believes religions are not all equal
>Anti Islam views
>Not alt right on most things but doesn't have views compatible with mainstream leftists either
>Supports first strike

It's because he's an individual with a relatively unique set of view points.

t. I have no arguments so I have to rely on fallacies

Is sam really speaking truth to power and is anything he says really that controversial or heretical?

youtube.com/watch?v=gyeWwjZBq9k

>call the tranny SJW's idiots
>say Jordan is just as stupid

>DIS MEENS U MUST BE SJW MARXIST!

wow who could have thought that people who like Jordans stupid arguments are fucking stupid themselves.

The person he responded to didn't have any arguments either.
Jordan does have this terrible meandering way of explaining anything. I don't think he could be concise if his life depended on it.

You seem VERY upset that I pointed out your mutilated genitals

>The person he responded to didn't have any arguments either.

the original point was that Jordan does the same stupid shit he thinks Marxists are horrible for doing.

There is no definitive proof for human-caused climate change; deal with it.

Nah bro, just wiping out Muslims would work best for everyone. Except Muslims.