Have you seen this splendid documentary

Have you seen this splendid documentary

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
youtube.com/watch?v=sdZp5iw-UEo
youtube.com/watch?v=Egxiy3PhHvA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

is this the incoherent one that flips back and fourth between narratives failing to ever really connect them? the one that's just a rehash of the previous one? the insufferably long one?

yep, it was highly pointless

Yes. Every single point of criticism is valid, but it's still good.

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

burial really elevates shit

but there was some great footage refreshing the mind

Oh so the shills are quick with the diss pics

> it's a leftists pretend they aren't tools of dehumanization episode

Jesus take a fucking joke. I like Adam Curtis' stuff too but that pic is still hilarious.

Why not actually think and write your criticisms or is it too hard

It tries to hard to craft a narrative. It takes all these events and strings them together and then attempts to argue that the entire west has not only given up but retreated into a bubble that has been orchestrated by Washington. That and all the points it tries to make about big data reminded me of dune and being locked into a prescient vision.

If anything we are no longer living in a country with a single narrative but many fractured narratives, this prevents us from communication, and that will be the cause of our downfall.

I don't know if it tries to create a unifying narrative, maybe there was too much to cover, I liked that it was ambitious and all over the place, what other doco or anything attempts to do what it did. Maybe Baudrillard or some other impenetrable postodernist.

I felt like it was an attempt to explain some of the madness of our present time. The hopelessness of collective action, the retreat into cyberspace, the fraudulence of those in power; poiliticians and business elites. Critics of this film may as well spout the sarcastic and stupid 'it really makes you think' line. But it actually does,

I will agree, it does make you think. It was just that some of the criticisms that the program made I felt didn't do the complexity of the world, or the stupidity of people, justice. With respect to the wars in the middle east it tried to cast them as a rejection by the west of the complexities of the real world and an acceptance of a false simplified narrative.

That problem is man has always thought in terms of story, of good and evil, of the knight slaying the dragon and bedding the princess. Its not really a betrayal or willful ignorance to cast Islam as some great moral evil, its natural.

The film made, in my mind, took the natural instincts of humans and tried to cast them in some dark light, as if a shadow cabal was creating a false world to lead the american public astray. When, to me, it was just people acting as they always have.

It was pretty shit. It doesn't bother exploring its themes/statements at all (unless this is REALLY SHITTY METANARRATIVE ABOUT MODERN WORLD SIMPLIFIED TOPICS).

Bitter Lake was so much better

>deconstruction equals a rebuttal
AYYYYYYYYYY

Well it is pretty dark when someone lashes out violently at someone who they know isn't culpable for anything. Even moreso when its the most powerful govt/ country against another country and civilians.

it was great. i got to see one with a live band and stand for an hour.

i found it pretty good. people on Sup Forums are going to hate on it since it's kind of leftist, but I thought he made some interesting points and it's entertaining

humanity is dark and irrational, there is no avoiding that. people like to pretend we are all little rational actors, but we are not.

His worst work desu senpai. Doesn't really make any points that make any sense, it was only interesting to show some cultural history.

I think politicians and business elites should be held at a higher standard, don't you? Are you violent? There is a lot of order and rationality, much moreso than irrationality on the planet and to say, of course darkness and chaos reigns, is not the full picture.

Well yeah, there is just a lot of lazy thinking in this particular piece, weak arguments held together with little more than strong imagery. Normally Curtis' documentaries are much better researched than this.

>I think politicians and business elites should be held at a higher standard
Whose standard? We are all just a bunch of apes with very limited information going about our lives making a huge number of irrational decisions because things feel good and bad.

Dose the business man know, or can he even comprehend the things he dose? No, he can't understand the system he is a part of better than anyone else. We are all prisoners on this ship, some of whom have better quarters, but prisoners non the less.

The world is literally too complex for a person to understand, its natural for us to try and simplify it by creating a story, a narrative of the good vs the bad. When the narrative stops mirroring reality everything falls apart and we start over again. Along the way lots of people die, that is the sad state of the world.

Regardless don't look so down on chaos, that is what spurs innovation

his older stuff was better and had more "make u fink" moments:

youtube.com/watch?v=sdZp5iw-UEo

this bit was good though:

youtube.com/watch?v=Egxiy3PhHvA

It's not "leftist" to anyone except for neoconservative Shabbos-goys.

..but what user didn't realise was, Curtis's documentaries are mocked for their facile nature rather than the political bent.