Creepy/atmospheric/mysterious movies (not horror/slasher/jumpscare-stuff)

Okay, so I got a really solid list of creepy/atmospheric movie recommendations from you yesterday.

Saw The Ninth Gate yesterday, but wasn't very impressed. It was entertaining enough, but very hamfisted.

The day before I saw Jacob's Ladder, which I'm sure is going to be one of my favourite movies for a long time.

Please help me choose what I see tonight!
Here's the list:

pastebin.com/BAqbt6ya

(Considering Mulholand Drive, Lake Mungo and Strange Circus right now, since those seemed to be the most recommended)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q_4sZnT5ppc
youtube.com/watch?v=AdIlLn52Oak
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ringu

it's difficult to recommend a creepy/atmospheric movie that isn't horror

Yesterday's thread:

Also, my list of movies I already have seen (and really enjoyed), which sort of fits the description:

>The VVitch
>Let The Right One In
>Donnie Darko
>Moon
>Nightcrawler
>Jacob's Ladder
>The Thing
>Cabin In The Woods
>X-files
>Stranger Things
>Perfect Blue
>Lost Highway

Try watching David Cronenberg's horror films in general.

Shivers
Dead Ringers
Rabid
Videodrome
The Dead Zone
Are all movies that are worth a watch.

Are you joking?
I'm pretty sure that's just a straight up horror movie?
Never seen it, though.

Yeah, lots of people recommended Cronenberg.
Which one would you start with?

Don't mind it not being "spooky", as long as the atmosphere feels great, by the way.

In The Name of The Rose is one movie I didn't mention, but which I liked very much for similar reasons.

Try Videodrome and The Deadzone first.

If you like those movies most on to the others like Dead Ringers and Shivers.

Lake Mungo's great, but also add Possession (1981) to your list if you haven't.

Heavily recommend Eraserhead, The Vanishing (Spoorloos), Kill-List and ofcourse Mulholand Drive.

Must watch.

Check out from beyond and the people under the stairs.

if you're looking for cosmik spooks:
Picnic at Hanging Rock

the less you know about it going in, the better.

Maybe U-Turn?

Noted! Thanks!

It's one the list - Someone were pretty vocal about how good it is, so I guess I'll bump its priority ranking.

Yup, these seem to match what other Anons recommend too.

I'm thinking I'll start with Mulholand Drive then, and do Possession tomorrow

House of 1000 Corpses has a really interesting creepy atmosphere. May not be what you're looking for, though, as it's probably closer to horror than you'd like.

It's not like there much to get spoiled about it when it comes to the plot.

Unless you read the crazy lost chapters.

Adding them to my list - thanks!

Cosmic horror is nice - added!

>the less you know about it going in, the better
I always try to go in blind, no worries

Lol, dat title. Will add it to the list and maybe check it out later.

Lake Mungo feels more like an exercise than an actual film to be enjoyed. I can appreciate the restraint and integrity they want to bring to the found footage horror genre, but it's just not an interesting watch. At that point you'd be better off watching a 'ghost hunters' show on tv where the people involved at least actually believe it.

This film's atmosphere and visuals were top tier

Too bad Peter Weird never made anything quite like it again.

Eraserbread
I found it supremely creepy the first time I saw it.

the last wave

>I'm thinking I'll start with Mulholand Drive then, and do Possession tomorrow
Eh, neither were on Popcorntime, so I'll just watch Picnic at Hanging Rock first.

Oh, it's found footage? That doesn't sound too promising...

Yeah, many have mentioned it. I guess I should bump its priority too.

Adding it to the list - thanks!

Angel Heart kind of gave me a Jacob's Ladder vibe for some reason. Obviously very different movies, but kinda scratched the same itch for me

Also, watching the famous sex scene was like:
>Now this I can fap to
>Wait wtf
>I obviously can't fap to this
>YOU HAVE UNLOCKED A NEW FETISH

Parents (1989)

I recently watched this and I'm still squirming. Beautifully made in b&w, a horrific story, and deeply disturbing. Hardly subtle, but more low-key, a slow-burning buildup of harrowing tension. Although it contains a degree of grue, it's decidedly not a gore/slasher film. There's nothing supernatural or even requiring a suspension of disbelief; to the contrary, it's all too based in a potential, if grotesque, reality. My only complaint is the ending; it's as if they ran out of budget, or script. Anyone else seen it?
Truly, the worst monsters are human.

I want lovecraft horror.

Seen in the mouth of madness, event horizon, all that shit.

>Oh, it's found footage? That doesn't sound too promising...

It's faux-documentary/found footage. Plays itself very straight, never gets too horror-moviesque which is both its main strength and weakness.

I'd disagree, though I acknowledge Lake Mungo is not a movie for everyone. You either love it or hate it. Personally I thought it was very interesting because it gives you a lot to think about regarding the purpose of ghosts and how they interact with us. Plus the concept of running into the ghost of your future self along a dark spooky path is brilliantly creepy especially considering it was the only real scare in the movie. That scene made it all worth it imo

>Lol, dat title

Never heard of it? It's by Rob Zombie and surprisingly doesn't suck. The movie Devil's Rejects is a sequel, but it's a different type of movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=q_4sZnT5ppc

Antichrist

Yes it was a great movie. I had no problem with the ending. But I suppose it would have been better if they used a traditionally creepy end.

The 1975 film or the 2017 miniseries or are they both the same??

1975 film. I've never even heard of the miniseries. Both, I assume, would be based off the same novel though.

I tried watching Jacob's Ladder when I was younger and it freaked me out so much I had to turn it off.

Really need to go back and give it another shot since it's been like 10 years.

>2017 miniseries
I still have no ideal how they going to stretch a 2 hour film into a 6 episode mini series.

Also go with the 1975 film.

Red Desert
A Woman in the Dunes

Not horror but unsettling atmospheres

might work. the film already almost feels like an australian twin peaks

Eureka, the japanese one. Has atmosphere and mystery in spades, but is more focused on a dramatic and introspective tone, less creepy.

Original Wicker Man

Onibaba

Rabbits

Don't Look Now

seconding

The skin i live in!!

rosemarys baby

sorry meant to reply to op here

Thanks, yeah, looked up the name and saw that there's a miniseries coming out soon.

Watch Antiviral senpai

Eraserhead you fuck nigga

Miracle Mile

and

After Hours

>Devil's Advocate

Don't bother it's really not that great until the last half hour and even then it's only because of Pacino hamming it up.

Lost Highway is a wild ride if you haven't seen it yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=AdIlLn52Oak

Session 9

The Machinist
One Hour Photo

Good stuff. I've seen every movie except maybe 5 on that list.
The Blackcoat's Daughter was surprisingly cool and stars two Sup Forums favorites. Somewhat overlooked too.

Kill List is a must-see. Lake Mungo creeped me the fuck out.

>Angel Heart
Top-tier taste, user