I don't want your tired memes, I want to know: Are there any Indian films which are actually kino?

I don't want your tired memes, I want to know: Are there any Indian films which are actually kino?

Everything I can find seems to be daft Bollywood with loads of dumb songs. I want films which don't use all that.

start with sholay...its in vein of a spaghetti western..most successful bollywood movie of all time

only 2 songs in this, but its a good transition film to bollywood as it has a mission impossible/heist film feel while introducing some of the Bollywood tropes

no songs, terrorist thriller that is quality and not what you think it is for sure..def has indian feel to it

The best (modern) Indian movies are generally Bollywood but look into movies like Ugly. India has some fucking incredible revenge thrillers.

As for those Bollywoods, you just can't go wrong with Dabangg and Dabangg 2, and Robot is a genuinely great movie.
They're stuffed with silly songs though.

indian crime story, a classic that came out in the 90s..on youtube actually with subtitles

Water

agreed, this is a good example

>Go to India
>Go to see a movie in a cinema that had come out recently
>It was a hollywood film and it was played in English
>At the start they play the national anthem
>They have a random intermission in the middle
>Every time someone is smoking there's a big message on screen saying "SMOKING IS INJURIOUS TO HEALTH"
>Every time someone is drinking alcohol there's a big black square over it

Weird shit 2bh

period noir detective film during british raj...excellent, really well made and i did not see any of the bollywood cliches.. came out in 2015 and highly recommended..

they got a censorship problem in india..they put warrants out for a comedian holding an 'indescent' comedy roast just because of the language... and it was a PRIVATE event!

That came out when I was in India, I really wanted to see it but I couldn't find anywhere playing it with English subs. I've got it downloaded right now, I'll get around to watching it eventually.

The trailers made it look almost like something that would be made in the west.

watch it asap! youre right, it has the quality of a western production...too bad itll be hard to make a sequel since it wasnt too big of a box office draw

this looked interesting would see if eng subtitles

dont forget indias first superhero!!

and its sequel (third one in the series) 1st one was indias first ET movie called Koi Mil Gaya

Serious question: why hasn't the Indian film industry produced a single auteur/festival friendly director in the last 20 years?

All the movies ITT look like something that would be released straight to video in the US.

There's a torrent you can get which has english subtitles with it.

"First"

I'd assume it's a combination of two things:

1. Indian audiences don't want anything that's artsy, so it makes no money at home
2. Foreign (western) audiences assume everyhting Indian is Bollywood trash so it makes no money abroad

So why bother trying to make something good when you could make something cheap and easy instead?

>(((auteurs)))
>(((festival friendly)))

Look up Amit Dutta, he's basically the Indian Paradjanov

Interesting, thank you.

bollywood focuses on escapsim..since 60% of the pop. are in the poor/villagers they cater to them, and the villagers want to see an grand movie full of action, comedy, romance, danger, and songs...to find a more auter and/or indie like movies, you have to check out the 'parrallel cinema,' who share the better actors with bollywood and have their own directors who make movies on social issues, complex themes, etc

For example, pic related was banned in india because it touched on the subject of lesbianism back in 1996! that would have been a touchy subject in America, imagine india back then
(also, related, one of the actresses in Fire was shabana azmi, who also appears in more serious bollywood movies and is considered one of the greats)

Also Anand Gandhi, who's unique in having uploaded his own films to karagarga

Damn, you weren't kidding, I'm only about 10 minutes in but this is actually well made. It's not quite hollywood standard, but it's certainly as good as a big budget TV movie.

not banned, but didnt have a wide release and there were RIOTS over the subject matter that stopped the small amount of the theatres who were playing it from keeping it going

Rang de Basanti is well made and has no song and dance shit, though the politics and metaphor can be a bit on the nose at times

If I could find a working torrent of the indian version of 24 I would watch it.

Why do Indians mix their language with English so much? It makes watching with subtitles weird.

oh ya, and the historical aspects are realistic

>why do people who were ruled by English speakers for 200 years use that language so much?
It's also because knowing English is seen as more cultured and urban

You mean Indian Spider-Man wasn't the first?

ya i hate it too..they also title their movies in english a lot more..i feel like they dont have their own voice sometimes..

hit it on the head...also weirdly they censor out hindi curse words but leave english curse words like 'shit' 'ass' intact because its seen as refined..

That second picture is kind of hilarious because he's basically just jumping really high in the middle of a square. The Taj Mahal is overrated anyway.

Don't start on some diatribe against the British. There are a lot of countries that name things like that, it's not unique to India.

What did you people think about Gangs of Wasseypur?

Are there any good movies set in the Himalayas? I fucking loved the Himalayas when I visited.

Too much of a Chinese problem really

This is kino

>They have a random intermission in the middle

They still do that? Fuck me.

The thing that I found weirdest is that it was a completely random time too, I think it was in the middle of a scene, or at least during an important event.

what snacks did they have at the snack counter?

ive heard its decent...the directoranurang kasyap fancies himself an autuer, but he only tries to imitate kino in most of his other movies

>I fucking loved the Himalayas when I visited.

All those shy teenage grill goat herders?

Dunno, I don't think I went to it.

One thing I do remember from India was Thums Up though. That stuff was the cola of the devil. It was fucking horrible, and as far as I could tell had no real reason to exist given that it was made by the coca cola company.

Chai is some dank shit though, I loved it. Samosas too. Fuck, the food was really damn good in some places.

Not really. I liked how peaceful it was. It's difficult to describe, it was just the one place where I felt completely relaxed and calm. I'm not one for all that spiritual bollocks though, I just thought it was a nice place.

>I just thought it was a nice place.

It is. It's still relatively unfucked by modernity. Fucking short days though if you're in a valley.

>It's still relatively unfucked by modernity

That's certainly true. I went on a trek for a week where it took you miles away from any real civilisation, apart from a couple of tiny villages. They had no real electricity, everything was done traditionally. I even saw some people making clothes with a hand loom. Crazy to see, but at the same time it looked kind of comfy.

It is decent, it's what some people may call кинo. Watch it.

LoC, it's India's Saving Private Ryan

*LoC Kargil

the chinese do it too