What are some films with great apocalyptic settings that aren't actually apocalyptic?

What are some films with great apocalyptic settings that aren't actually apocalyptic?

Films like Stalker, Come and See, Gummo, Ivan's Childhood, and parts of the Pianist.

Children of Men

That's phrased very oddly also Mad Max 1

I was surprised the setting of Max Mad 1 was as society was collapsing rather than the post-apocalypse everyone is familiar with. It's almost more interesting, desu.

If you liked this you'll love Kin-dza-dza

Russian sci-fi kino which is a bit like Mad Max except with more satire and no apocalypse.

I think I saw that on that website with all the films that became public domain after the Soviet Union collapsed. It looks great, I'll check it out -- thanks, user.

The Rover and Valhalla Rising.

Kairo, Time of the Wolf, Delicatessen

Eraserhead

I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but in my opinion Stalker is overrated

For people growing up in Eastern Europe or Russia, this movie just feels mundane. We see this scenery every day, and that "deep" christian symbolism - you can find that much in Zack Snyder movies

But that is only my opinion, no need for shitflinging

Fando and Lis

Turin Horse (or any other Bela Tarr film)
Hard to be a God

Kin-dza-dza is very acclaimed but I never finished it despite knowing Russian and liking the actor from Gentlemen of Fortune (1971)

Gentlemen of Fortune is great. And why didn't you finish it? I loved the ending.

The main reason i love Stalker not so much for the film itself.

To be honest I have a mancrush on Anatoly Solonitsyn and just think that hes a brilliant actor,

Its a shame he died young

Oh no, what happened to him?

He died bro.

Cancer

"Solonitsyn died from cancer in 1982, at the age of 47 (allegedly, according to Victor Sharun, the sound editor on Stalker, Solonitsyn, Tarkovsky and Larisa Tarkovskaya became ill due to exposure to toxic chemicals during filming on the location of the movie"

Gentlemen of Fortune is great.social commentary was one of the best ones I have ever seen.
>And why didn't you finish it?
it just did not engage me. unfortunately it was the same with father of a soldier (1964)

Serves them right for what they did to our land.

> ... due to exposure to toxic chemicals during filming on the location of the movie
> the zone actually claimed his life

You should try A Visitor to a Museum and Themroc

Interesting point, I never thought of how the film would be perceived by people from around there. I think Tarkovsky's disciplined filmmaking would elevate it, even if the scenery was familiar, but maybe not.

The Werckmeister Harmonies specifically depicts the the fall of a community and it's my personal favorite. The moment in the hospital conjured emotions no other film has since.

>Hard To Be a God

One of my professors recommended me this one since he knew I learned Cormac McCarthy. I'll check it out.

I'm from Russia and I disagree completely, in my opinion it's one of the 10 greatest films ever made. It's not about the scenery.

Melancholia

That one is actual apocalypse. OP didn't want that. Just the gloomy setting.

By scenery, I meant the atmosphere the movie had

But who knows, maybe I'm just trying to pick on things to be contrarian

It's certainly not a bad movie, by all means

>ywn helplessly shit away your lifesblood for your art
>ywn bath yourself in the glowing green of a toxic marsh just for that one perfect shot in your passion project

I think this one works since it's more about depression/a sense of doom instead of the effects of the world ending.

Holy shit, that makes me really sad.

Try Andrei Rublyev if you like Tarkovsky, there's a sense of humanity trying to prevail through doom and destruction throughout.

It's pretty much one of the movies of the decade, apocalyptic, gruesome and strangely philosophical. For those not fsmiliar with the directors other works and have only Tarkovsky to do a comparison, this feels like a somewhat flashier version of Andrei Rublev. Very slow as well. So be prepared for a 3 hour long black and white movie(with goat visuals) that is also artsy and weird.

As for OP Come and See seemed like the very epitome of apocalyptic for me, I dont know what to recommend but you might like The Devils (1971)

>somewhat flashier version of Andrei Rublev
I felt reminded of Hieronymus Bosch constantly. Only a lot more filth.

the Quiet Earth

The music was too sweet for my taste, especially in that scene. Too harmonic and by the book emotional.
The film was fantastic, but Tarr is too conventional with his music. Very irritating for me.

Le Dernier Combat from Luc Besson. Very underrated film that might fit into your desired field of settings.

" Baш coчинcкий aкцeнт, тaтyиpoвкa в видe звeзды нa плeчe, cлeды пyлeвых paнeний, и взгляд видaвшeгo виды чeлoвeкa."