Why does the Portuguese language even exist? It's like 90% similar to Spanish already...

Why does the Portuguese language even exist? It's like 90% similar to Spanish already, so why not just speak Spanish instead? It's more widely spoken than Portuguese anyway.

you can't be serious

because portugal > spain
Just look at Latin America and you will realize that
brincadeira amigos eu gosto de vocês :)

But you are part of Latin America :)
lusos e hispanos são os melhores amigos :)

another amazing thread by our american friends

>american """"""""""""""""""education""""""""""""""""""""

same goes for norwegian and swedish

I don't get it either. Asians should all speak the same language too, it all sounds the same to me anyway

bump

>It's like 90% similar to Spanish
No

It could be argued that they are both dialects of a common language (since spanish variants are so fucking mutually inteligible that I don't consider them dialects at all), something like Iberoromantic.

I mean, I think we are closer than arabic dialects are among themselves.

Ponder about this errday as well

Actually, yes :(

Maybe spoken form varies a little more.

But I had no problem with reading portuguese before I started formally studying it. And once you know how to pronounce it (ie te ti = chi; de di = yi) it's quite easy to understand almost everything.

Castillian is inferior

>Spanish has three forms for the singular definite article, el, masculine, la, feminine, and lo, NEUTER. >The last is used with adjectives to form abstract nouns employed in a generic sense, and also to intensify the meaning of adjectives.

Arabic influence

Spanish kept much of the Mozarabic vocabulary of Arabic origin, while the Mozarabic component was less influential in Portuguese, even if still found. Thus we find a number of cases in which the usual Spanish word is derived from Arabic, while the corresponding word in Portuguese is Latin or Celtic-derived.

>Spanish vocabulary has been in contact from an early date with Arabic, having developed during the Al-Andalus era in the Iberian Peninsula. With around 8% of its vocabulary being Arabic in origin, this language is the SECOND most important influence after Latin.
his distinctive dialect spread to southern Spain with the advance of the Reconquista, and meanwhile gathered a sizable lexical influence from the Arabic of Al-Andalus, much of it indirectly, through the Romance Mozarabic dialects (some 4,000 Arabic-derived words, make up around 8% of the language today).The written standard for this new language was developed in the cities of Toledo, in the 13th to 16th centuries, and Madrid, from the 1570s
8% vocabulary

Superior Portuguese
>Between the 9th and early 13th centuries, Portuguese acquired nearly 800 words from Arabic by influence of Moorish Iberia. They are often recognizable by the initial Arabic article a(l)-, and include many common words such as aldeia "village" from الضيعة alḍai`a (or from Edictum Rothari: aldii, aldias),[79] alface "lettuce" from الخس alkhass, armazém "warehouse" from المخزن almakhzan, and azeite "olive oil" from الزيت azzait.
Only 800 words
>Projections estimate 400 to 800 Arabic-derived words in Portuguese, with a tendency to decrease as many of these words have entered in disuse over time:

Triggered much?

You ain't seen nothing yet. Look up "Galician"

>Iberian Romance: Portuguese, Galician, Mirandese, Asturian, Leonese, Spanish (Castilian), Aragonese, Ladino;

Because for all intents and purposes we can understand and communicate with people who speak spanish without the major hassle of having to learn a new language.

You should be asking why Basque exists for example

are you the famous "we wuz suevi" poster with severe autism?

Because they won the appropriate war.

wew lad

>that flag

not even funny anymore.

Portuguese is its own reward. The real question is why does Spanish exist?

Although that is answered by "someone needed an easy version of Portuguese because more than 5 vowels is too hard".

We have a couple of them, I think.

>Castillian in one the 3 great literary languages
>Portuguese is a cuckold's language
Whoda thunk!

Cervantes disagrees with you, mate:
>Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes once called Portuguese "the sweet and gracious language"

I'll concede that Spain has produced finer art than Portugal in all but one artistic medium: Literature.

You've got architecture and painting and sculpture and cinema and a lot of things we only have one or two worthy of greatness, but Portuguese literature is second to none.

>It's like 90% similar to Spanish
no, not really

>but Portuguese literature is second to none.
Delusional.
Spanish is, alongside French, the ultimate literature language. The heights reached by Castilian are several centuries above the rest, specially Portuguese.
I cannot think of a single relevant poem in Portuguese.

gibe moni pls

>
Mate, the best Portuguese literature is all poetry.

It definitely has less projection because less people speak it, and you need to know a lot about Portuguese history and Portuguese obscura to understand it, but it definitely is very much worth it.

Galician/Portuguese was even the main poetry language this side of Iberia for a while (while Occitan was the one in the East). It was the more formal language and stuff.