So now that the dust's settled.. What does your country think about brexit? How is it portrayed in the media...

So now that the dust's settled.. What does your country think about brexit? How is it portrayed in the media? What does the everyman on the street think? Are people feeling sympathetic, pragmatic or full on punitive as a result of feeling "shunned"?

Here in the UK most of the media (BBC especially) seems to be siding with the EU position, parroting their propoganda as fact and downtalking our side.

>inb4 Sup Forums
This is clearly an Sup Forumsernational thread so pls don't delete mods. I want real opinions of foreigners - especially Europeans - not low quality shitposting or political debating. General attitudes towards the issue, rather than personal opinion. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

politico.eu/article/nations-mini-schengen-borders-passports-travel-freedom-migration-refugees/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

's cool

Our politicians and media mostly just care about how much it would cost us.
So if it was up to them you'd still get free access to the European market.

Our left wing thinks you are making the mistake of your life and kind of wants to see the UK fall.
Our liberal right wants to keep the trade open.
Our conservative right wants a nexit.

>Our conservative right wants a nexit.
I don't think that could ever work unless the Germans somehow left as well.

Sentiment here seems to revolve on "at least we'll see if this EU-thing can amount to anything with us being rid of the Brits being whiny faggots". Then there's jokes about de Gaulle being prophetic with his weighing in that Britain should not have been permitted to enter the EU, which kind of rewards de Gaulle with understanding the British psyche very very well, since he'd knew they'd want to be unique little snowflakes eventually.

And that's about it. People here never really considered the UK to be a true member of the EU. You enjoyed the good, and veered away from what was a bad, so it was hard to see as you going through the same hardships trying to make the EU work.

/rant

See you on the other side Britain.

Country/government are mad as fuck.
People find it sad.

hissy fit for a few euros compared to the benefits EU free trade gives
a dumb decision economically and politically, London will still be an economic center but a lot of companies will move to Ireland or somewhere else to have presence in the EU

Our government actually proposed that to Germany.
To begin our own Schengen area with Austria, Germany and the Benelux.

But Merkel rejected the plan.

politico.eu/article/nations-mini-schengen-borders-passports-travel-freedom-migration-refugees/

People here are either saying it will bring you problems with Scotland and Ireland or just envying your decision

The media is full on propaganda

We seem to find the results of your country's democratic referendum highly unacceptable and therefore hope that you ignore this voted upon decision because we in the EU and the british remainers know better than the people who voted to leave.

In short; Who cares about the brits' democratic vote? Democracy is overrated

Most of Russian state media wrote a few words that it was suddenly. They're far more concerned about Ruine/Bombass war and/or Korean nukes.

Right leaning media is jealous and predicts a golden age for you lads.
Left leaning media says you'll collapse any day now.

We're a pragmatic people. But the Germans aren't so pragmatic.

This.

>brit pretends to want to know our opinions
>bails on us after the second post
Cheeky.

I'm here :) I only made the OP post btw, the 2nd brit flag is another user. Wanted to avoid getting into debate as I said, just interested on the general mood.

Oh alright, well I worded myself a bit harshly hoping it'd start something with you raving back.

If you want a decent break-down for the mood in France, just tone everything I've said in my post earlier. We like the Brits, but it did start a new wave of EU-positivism, and we don't feel like it's a huge loss since half the time we forgot you even were in the EU.
But nothing rude or mean either.

>What does your country think about brexit?

Absolutely for. No one likes the EU. We are in some deep shit.

>How is it portrayed in the media?
(((guess)))

We really dont care either way.... The general thought is that maybe it'll work out well for them, but They'll be fine either way. It's kind of a foot note in the grand scheme of things really.

The US and our politicians dont really negotiate or have any diplomacy with the EU as a single entity anyway, we treat all EU members as separate nations .. Thinking about it...we kind of ignore that the EU exist, like every other non-EU state in the world.

>we kind of ignore that the EU exist, like every other non-EU state in the world.
Nah, you have to lump us all together in regards to trade actually. TAFTA doesn't negotiate with France, Germany, the ND, etc...; it negotiates with EU representatives.

I doubt your politicians don't care. The UK was one of your footholds in the EU.

Now you have to rely on the Netherlands and Poland to counteract German and French anti-americanism. Which is why your government is currently sucking up to Poland so much, by sending troops there and such. But the Netherlands and Poland aren't a strong block in the EU. We don't even see eye to eye.

The media say it will cost you a lot, and they say that with a subtle degree of satisfaction.
Public opinion isn't really interested.

I'd guess sentiments are pretty neutral. We kind of just drift alongside EU when it comes to all their integration fetishism, especially so if you ask the man on the street. Revenge mentality, I allow, isn't a thing here (how silly would that be for a country like Finland). I'm sure most people want to retain good relations with the UK. Not to say that there aren't bunch of European larpers in Finland, but all that tariff arsing and related combustion isn't in our best interest anyway.
That would be my crude take on the general texture around this subject. Someone might be better aware of all the ins and outs

I think one of the big problems was that even the UK with her traditional voting allies (NL, Denmark etc) wasn't enough to counteract the sheer force of the Franco-German vision for Europe.

>TAFTA
Yeah ill give you that one.

The politicians on the left disliked the move, the politicians on the right really didnt care that much but supported the Briexit just becasue it infuriated the left.
The average american really doesnt care either way.

As far as Poland...no we've been giving them increased aid long before brexit was even a thing. Also we dont and haven't needed a "foot in the door" to EU trade. We did 140 Billion in trade so far this year (exports), and imported from the EU 210 billion worth of goods. The USA is such a valuable market for the EU that we really dont have to negotiate too hard or have a friend on the inside.

I said I'd avoid person opinion, but mine is that this 'Britain is a special snowflake' meme is pretty unfair. We treat all EU legislation as law and follow it to the T unlike most other countries (Germany and smoking for one visible example.) You guys have the CAP, which is pretty much the EU's biggest policy, and Tony Blair gave up most of our rebate in exchange for empty words.

Just wait until the European military arrives with France at the helm. Then you will really lose control over European policies. European behaviour towards Turkey, the middle east, Russia and China.

it is your empire after all

Germany is now also integrating Czech and Romanian forces I read.

Perfectly ok with that, alot of Americans see Europeans as kind of weak willed softy's that have been parasites off our military protection since the end of the cold war.
I really welcome Europe taking steps to actually standing up for itself. But unfortunately you have a long way to go. We had to emergency resupply most European nations after only 3 weeks low intensity bombing in Libya campaign because the EU nations that took part ran out of munitions.... Most of Germany's Euro-fighters are not even combat capable due to lack of maintenance. The EU has a long, rough time of improvement and military buildup to even be a regional power. You arent going to scare away Russia just yet.

I hope that with Brexit EU will be able to integrate further and then finally stand up on its own. Breaking off being US vassal etc.