Is Evangelion worth listing alongside greats such as 2001 A Space Odyssey?

Is Evangelion worth listing alongside greats such as 2001 A Space Odyssey?

Only if you're making a list of overrated media.

Not really since it's primarily a TV series.

I think so yes.

I would also include Gunbuster, which is amazing and a visual masterpiece.

2001:A Space Odyssey is quite simply the worst thing to happen to cinema ever. Its forced profundity has caused millions of people all over the world to force themselves to like what is quite simply nothing more than an exercise in style.

Kubrick has no idea what he is doing here. His film jumps around with little to no sense of unity. The great film makers of the world create a series of events that contain clarity of information, something Kubrick couldn't bet his life on.

What is the purpose of what is going on here? Is there any coherent message? I have heard suggestions that it is Kubrick's message about the future of humanity, but what future is that? Does Kubrick even know?

This is Transformers for the art house crowd. Pure style over substance. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.

On a list of 'Top 10 Sci-f stories that people look up youtube videos on to understand the ending'

Sup Forums gets dumber by the day.

fpbp

Actually it gets newer and you are proof of just that. Go ahead and try to pretend otherwise now

Anime kino. better than 99.99% of anime

I'd like to see why.

If you had trouble following the film, read the book.
It holds your hand through all of it.

Been here since '06. And it's honestly disturbing just how contrarian and intentionally dumb this board is getting. Maybe that's what happens when half the userbase are diehard Marvel fanboys.

Watch it and get back to us

Watch it and you will see why

Maybe this is just some pasta but Kubrick did know excatly what he was doing with his cuts and stills in 2001:A Space Odyssey. The message of the movie was easy to apprehend, even for people with low IQ and in this case (You).

You've been here since 2016 and are with a doubt a Star Wars tourist

watch it and masturbate

No, because it's shallow. Beautiful yet empty inside. Like Faberge egg. It's just an excuse to show some kids in latex suits to make pedos moist.

Evangelion thread with no asuka? Wtf

I watched it. But I'm a brainlet, pls explain what was so great about Evangelion because I didn't find any groundbreaking stuff in it.

Waifufags should stay on Sup Forums

You're not a brainlet, you just saw through the useless imagery and shallow DUDE PHILOSOPHY bullshit. Evangelion is babies first "deep" anime

Why didn't they ban op the first time? Zero tolerance should be practiced on this board for spam like this too, alt-left custodian.

Excellent visual direction
Realistic and well written characters
Well written and presented character psychology
Top tier sci fi setting and elements
Religious imagery was there for visual tone and atmosphere. It succeeds in that. If you think people praise Eva primarily for the religious imagery, then I can only assume you've been living under a rock, and I don't see how you could watch the show and come away think said imagery is the primary focus of the show in any way.

Like stated, Sup Forums is filled with Marvel fanboys like this.

Sup Forums has Evangelion threads on a regular basis, dumbass.

You're new
You're a star wars tourist
You are not a local

>Is reddit worth listing alongside greats such as gaia?

Shinji is probably the most realistically written 14 year old in all of cinema. His character study alone is worth insane praise

you jest

>duuuuude i watched it a few months ago and now spam threads everyday which means Sup Forums is now for it lmao
Do cancerous plebs actually believe this makes them Sup Forums?

>If you don't fall for shitty Eva, you're a Marvel shill

Only a retard could come to this conclusion, must be why you like that boring shitfest Evangelion.

No, people praise it for a bunch of other bullshit also, like pretending it's a deconstruction of the mech genre or actually thinking the characters are anything but terribly thought out and developed.

Needs an HD remake. Old films look good forever. NGE looks worse by the year.

>like pretending it's a deconstruction of the mech genre
That's not indicative of it being bad or good, that's just what it is.
>or actually thinking the characters are anything but terribly thought out and developed.
Explain why they're poorly thought out and developed please.

But that's exactly what they did and it looked worse than the original

the hd remaster they did for the blu rays looks great

You're right, I should go make some Star Wars and Capeshit threads to fit in.

>is this entry level pleb trash as great as this entry level pleb trash

Sure just throw in the whole 9 yards of entry level hogwash like seven samurai, citizen kane, 8 1/2, stalker, etc and you're set.

A movie being entry level doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. You're posturing is cringeworthy.

>baaww i get to drive giant robot
>baaww every hot chick wants my dick

Every naive 14 year old would be kicking some ass and chewing some pussy.

Do you mean a simple remaster or do you want them to reanimate the series with digital coloring? There is a 1080p remaster and the Rebuild films are a loose retelling.

They already made HD versions from the film negatives though.

>baaww i get to drive giant robot
>baaww every hot chick wants my dick
Wrong on both accounts

>baww every hot chick wants my dick
no, everyone hated Shinji
>baww i get to drive a giant robot
risking your life against eldritch abominations for people that hate you isn't cool. He's basically a child soldier not a mary sue. proof you haven't watched it faggot

Nah it still looks great

Oh I'm sure you believe that, imdb. Maybe when you've passed fifth grade and have 1/20th of the cinematic skill set I have I'll remotely listen to your mongoloid ramblings

Why do so many anime have that horrible fucking bloom/haze now?

The third rebuild film is not a retelling. What the fuck even happened in it?

No because it has so much forced and unfunny comedy whereas something like 2001 isn't bogged down by the occasional retarded and immature slapstick

>20 episodes of sunday morning cartoon robot fights
>3 episodes of some lousy, random biblical references
>DUDE BEST SHOW EVER LMAO
Animefags are subhuman

What about the 3 episodes you left out?

>wow he's in a dark room, so great!

It's shit.

(You)

What are even trying to say here? It looks bad because it's a dark room?

Just stop posting

You blew it

>Eva-01 is breaking free, essentially alive, we have lost control!!
>Eva-01 is back in it's containment unit next episode

What did they mean by this

Essential pretentious-core?

>muh Gunbuster

Gunbuster is fucking TERRIBLE.

Robots doing jump-rope and press-ups in a giant school yard. Teenage girls in leotards acting like characters from a Jane Austin novel, if Jane Austen was a retarded autistic boy who had never left his basement and learned everything about human emotions from the back of a packet of Pocky. Useless alien blob opponents. Absurd space battles. Crap dialogue. Awful artwork. A tiny handful of literally 2D characters. Moronic science. The emotional depth of a Furby.

Gunbuster is fucking clown shoes.

Why are weebs so obsessed with this. nothing about it is comparable to 2001.

>oh boooo hoo im a little bitch kid and I have to kill big scary aliens with a big robot
>it worked oh noooo big surprise!!
>oh no ideas about souls and clones are filled with logical holes
>throw in some religious references for pandering. and lolis

He's still learning to count, be nice

You first

I just started watching this in 2017

Asuka is a bitch

Yes.

Anyone that doesn't agree is a tremendous turbopleb.

"No!"

Try watching it

I like that nu-Sup Forums likes to loudly announce that they haven't actually watched the material in question so you can discount their opinions

I still remember the screams of this scene.

It's understandable when you find out why

How far are you? Careful of spoilers

did

Asuka is a cute!

>Cartoon
No
Retard

Oh, so you're just retarded. That's fine then

See They are underexposed to cinema and can only repeat what they've read on imdb

I don't believe you

Yui calmed her shit eventually I guess

Same here man. I also made the mistake of watching the dub first a few years ago and couldn't get pass the first 6 episodes, it's the worst dub ever and combined with the stupidly slow pacing, it was unbearable. Picked it up a couple months ago with the subs, finished it and still don't see what all the hype was about

I think it does a pretty good job of world building (for a 6 ep Ova) and making use of time dilation as an actual story mechanic, pioneered the booby bounce; plus the ending got me. But yeah i won't argue that it's pretty stupid.

If Stanley Kubrick saw NGE, would he love it?

Human instrumentality project fucking when?

Alex Jones talked about it on the Joe Rogan podcast so it must b getting close..

No.

Those are cherrypicked screens imo. Compare the Sahaquiel scene and tell me the rebuild looks worse

If they had hand drawn it instead of using animation layering software it'd look 100x better

This is why ghibli films still look so fucking good today. They hold on to the beauty of physical media and blow CGI animation crap out of the water. Gainax has the budget and the talent to do it, the only reason it wasnt done was laziness on anno's part. Hes lost passion for evangelion and it shows. He was so excited to be doing the godzilla film simply because it wasnt evangelion. He is tired and uses eva as a cash cow.

I thought the dub was okay. Maybe I'm just a pleb though.

It was pretty awful imo

>NGE is the best anime
>Hasn't watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes

>100 episodes

Its shit in the first 10 episodes, but the actors come into their own and start doing alright

That's fair enough. I still think the sub is worth watching for Shinji's voice acting alone.

Ghibli used animation layering software in pretty much every movie after Mononoke, especially The Wind Rises

To each his own my guy. I first watched the dub and now I can't think about Shinji's voice without hearing the english VA. The Japanese VA does better screaming tho

2 years ago. nothing happened. sad

>it's literally "just be yourself :)" the anime

the cgi looks ugly as fuck and the shift to digital looks awkward and bland compared to the original. Its sad that animation in the east is so saturated in terms of style and that art design has to meet a strange standard of whats expected that the west (and admitedlly some more experimental studios in japan) does not. The original's subtle and unique art design seems to be lost in translation and converted to generic 'anime' character design. The grainy film like quality of the original adds to its charm as does its 90s animation aesthetic. It makes it look grimey, makes it look grounded. Like it has weight. The new rebuilds look too sleek and generic for my tastes. They even make the annoying as fuck filters layered over the original in some scenes (where the screen looks foggy, similar to bloom lighting) even worse. The rebuilds really do annoy me because despite all of thier plot changes etc, they were at least chance for the original to enhance its style due to a larger budget and more staff and instead anno decided to throw it out of the window.

nice fucking chin holy fuck what is she the bogdanoff's unknown twin?

Not at all, actually.