Why don't you own an Arriflex 416 16mm motion picture camera?

Why don't you own an Arriflex 416 16mm motion picture camera?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iNs6Led_rnQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because I prefer not to use junk equipment.

cause i have a phone that does the same thing.

ew

oh look, a fucking dumbass. let's see your phone work a beautiful kino scene, even with manual controls

haha. im not a director. lets see the wonderful indy crap you make with this.

>comparing your phone to a German-made camera that costs $80K

>thinking you can use an 80k camera for anything

I've actually already achieved kino on some simple Nikon and Sony DSLRs. I'd share but I'm not looking to blow my identity

because I don't make movies I watch them

sure thing kid.

My uni studio owns an Blackmagic Ursa and i don't have money to even buy a decent mic for my own camera.

You'd start saving up for one if you just knew how great waifu creeper footage looks on 16mm with that soft vintage look that can't be replicated in digital color grading.

Why though?

the panasonic g7 can do 4k at 400 - 600 $

its practically the best cheap camera

because i have two sony F65

>G7

Try shooting some fast moving stuff.

You will see some disgusting tears due to rolling shutter.

Because I have no business that will justify dropping $$$ on a piece of tech that will be obsolete in 2 years.

Because I'm a broke neet

That's not a GH5 outputting 10-bit ProRes422

Implying the screens below aren't straight kino. Even if it's not kino in your eyes I'm pretty sure it's more than you've achieved

This kino meme has really gone too far if you're seriously sharing your own shit as 'kino'

hahaha hang in there buddy im sure someday youll do something good.

I mean I have faith in myself, so I'm just going to go out on a limb and say yeah I'm sure I will

get some lightning gear for fucks sake
also don't label your own stuff a kino just because you can do hipster cig shots and back with tattoo shots.
don't make 2.35:1 or any of that shit if you're not shooting anamorphic

just maybe use a better camera.

>windows media player

masterful troll or actual retarded person

Pro tip: Arriflex 416 is a film camera, and the model has been around since 2006.

I have lighting gear, but what I shot was filming literally on a spur of the moment decision. I had a camera and had a friend there and I felt motivated that night

just convenience mate

cause i don't have money and my iphone shoots in 4k so

so do you feel justified on using that camera and making this shit thread?

not to mention how legitimately insecure about themselves someone has to be to not be able to use wmp without feeling insignificant

"making this shit thread" mate I'm just a passerby

a true gentoo man wouldn't even bother with that trite

mpc or go home

Let's see that shitty camera change focus by tapping its touchscreen

should i save up for the gh5?

i have just enough money to buy the g7

all I see is that you can only rent one.

so where do you get the film and where do you get it processed?

then do they also do digital conversions and give you your developed reel back to you.

can we get duplicate reels also?

its gotten so much more complicated to get into film that digital is just easier to do unless you really have the money and connections to actually take advantage of film.
I love 16 mm but its difficult for an amateur to do right now.

just pointing out the important

only if you're PC can do 4K editing and processing.

if not don't bother. even the 10 bit color range won't really be noticed on most screens.

Should I get one if I want to persue a career as a kinographer?

why?
you'll just spend more time here than actually making a non shit movie

*your

dont buy cameras. rent them.

>rent them.

Rental costs like $750/day for Arriflex 416.

my pc can run everything on max so i think im good

i really want to make a shitty conan esq movie rip off

some user was gushing about the ideal in a conan thread a few days ago

and i do believe hes right about it being a gold mine

he might even be in this thread right now

Don't rent an expensive camera for your student project. If you can't afford a rental, you probably can't afford film and processing.

do it mate. literally the best way to get anywhere is by starting. even if it's shit you'll be more ready for the next project

What did he mean by this

GODARD: You forget the cinema is people who invest their money, invest their ideas, their heart. Actors invest their body and sometimes their heart. I invest my heart. One has rarely seen technicians invest in the cinema. [Excuse me.] One has rarely seen technicians invent equipment. It wasn’t a sound engineer who invented the Nagra. You didn’t invent the Arriflex — you don’t even know who invented it. Hitler invented the Arriflex, so battles could be filmed. That’s why you have a light camera.

CINEMATOGRAPHER: This is not what they invented…

GODARD: NO, but the Arriflex was developed from it…

CINEMATOGRAPHER: I know the story…

GODARD: It was the military…

CINEMATOGRAPHER: I know the story…

GODARD: I regret that a cameraman or a camera operator never invented, the way a singer invents a song. There are many things like that. So when one is insulted, one knows what risks he’s taking on the film; he doesn’t have to take risks but he doesn’t have to sulk either! There are enough unemployed in France.

CINEMATOGRAPHER: It’s now been 5 weeks that we have a strange relationship with you…

GODARD: And I have a strange relationship with you. And you have a curious relationship with the sun. I’d rather spend an hour discussing an intonation.

only buy it if you are a DP and can get jobs to pay it back.

otherwise total waste of money.

did hitler really invent the camera?

because i fucking love this piece of nazi propaganda

seriously like one of my favorite movies i find it halarious that Goebbels help make this

And Mussolini invented Cinecitta

Franco also directed a movie I think

Based fascists are true kino masters

>It wasn’t a sound engineer who invented the Nagra
>Stefan Kudelski (February 27, 1929 – January 26, 2013)[1] was a Polish audio engineer known for creating the Nagra series of professional audio recorders.

>not using a chronograph to get kino shots
Plebs

youtu.be/iNs6Led_rnQ

This gives my /k/ side a boner

>if not don't bother. even the 10 bit color range won't really be noticed on most screens.
it was as if I heard all of Sup Forums REEEEEEE and then silence

If you have a PC that can edit and mainly color grade your shit in 4K you should.

kek

>tfw film has approximately 14-bit color range

shooting in film is useless if you are not projecting film.
/thread

is this stuff graphically intensive?

whats a good minimum to do this shit?

i made a youtube poop recently and my computer didn't have any problems with premiere and a bunch of other stuff open

besides being wrong, his analogy is shit.
and he'll die old, never once figuring out how to make a good movie.

I shoot 100 foot rolls of 16mm on a few hundred dollar camera and it's still $$$ Having said that I would kill to shoot with this camera. Nothing can replicate the look. Especially an oversaturated, over contrasted, varying frame rate iPhone

why do people bother with film when you can shoot everything digital?

or do you run your film through one of those digitizer

People could listen countless reasons that just come off pretentious. Personally I like shooting super 8 and 16mm for the archival purposes of film and in an increasingly digital world. Personally I dislike seeing period pieces shot on crisp digital cameras that didn't exist at the time but I would never argue against the HUGE advantages. I primarily record video on a dslr. Doesn't have to be one or the other

Film has better dynamic range (more granulated range from light to dark with the response curve evenly spread out from complete dark to complete white) than digital (less granulated range, darks cluster towards very dark and lights cluster toward very light, creating large contrast where human eyes won't).

This will remain the case for the foreseeable future.

>Why don't you own an Arriflex 416 16mm motion picture camera?

Because every last one film lab closed it's doors anywhere nearby, including the little KodakExpress ones for amateur photographers, which were around forever since long before I was alive.

I'm not paying extra upon extra to ship my film cans, then to process it and spend even more money getting it back. I'll stick with digital shit and FilmConvert or any other type of film emulation. When graded correctly, it looks close enough FOR ME.

If I was Cuckoldino or No(ta)lan(t) and a movie studio paying for all this shit, then maybe. Maybe.

>buying
>not renting
dumb af