well he's a big fella

he's got the mercy gut paunch

Classic Godzilla > 2014 Godzilla > Anno Godzilla > 2000 Godzilla

>Great Tier
Classic

>Meh Tier
Anno

>Dogshit Tier

I liked the 2014 film but you're fucking nuts if you think it was better than Shin Godzilla.

What counts as classic godzilla?

Go away Sup Forumsmblr

Also what the fuck does 'classic' Godzilla even mean?

Shin Godzilla was dogshit as everything Anno has done is dogshit.

His design is shit and the fact that Japan still tries to be cheap with Godzilla after 2014 is just sad. Also 2014 is pretty fucking close to the very first Godzilla.
Anything before 2000.

>Anything before 2000
Well GMK, GXM and Tokyo SOS are great so your rating is screwed.

Shin godzilla was pure kino

>as everything Anno has done is dogshit.

>people actually like Shin Zilla

Oh my sides, its not 1970 anymore, step it the fuck up in production.

I don't give a shit about Anno or EVA but I give credit where it's fucking due and Anno was the one who saved Godzilla from a 12 year oblivion

Get fucked you Sup Forums reject and stick with your fatfuck burgerzilla and Kick Ass

fuck off to Sup Forums weebshit

anno is a hack and has never created anything worthwhile

Wow epic bro, I thought Shin Godzilla was well shot and fantastically edited but you opened my eyes, I guess its just dogshit.

It's brilliant.

>this thread
>not liking Anno's Godzilla for its janky as fuck Godzilla more reminiscent of the older ones
>not liking the '14 Godzilla for its sampling of the first movie plot with a brand new Kaiju, even right down to how little Godzilla actually appears

Both are great films, stop being faggots. The only really bad one is Iguana Zilla.

>Also what the fuck does 'classic' Godzilla even mean?

It means he doesn't know shit about Godzilla.

Shin Godzilla is closer to Gojira than 2014.

Especially in terms of the thematic undertones, which are completely absent in general for the American version.

There are thematic tones in 2014 (powerlessness, for example), but they're not handled nearly as eloquently as in Shin Godzilla.

The thematic of war is bad, yes, I agree. 2014 though was like taking the first plot and re-envisioning it with a Kaiju for the modern era, which is also good.

Both are good films for their own reasons.

Buddy 2014 had no coherent or relevant theme, at least pertaining to Godzilla, it was just a mess of random shit to justify watching Mr and Mrs Cloverfield rampage around before a big dinosaur showed up and beat them up

Are people who say 2014 is good baiting or actually idiots? I can't even tell anymore

he a good boy

he dindu nuffin

2014 is pretty much the very first Godzilla movie except with a bomb instead of oxygen shenanigans and another giant monster, and its not Japan. The setup is the same, the flow is the same, the messages are the same.

2014 is booooring

Why can't it have quips and funny accents and Godzilla killing a submarine like 98

It did have its themes. Also Godzilla didn't show up until towards the end of the first one until the end either.

Also, you act like Godzilla movies haven't been a lot of random monsters rampaging before a big dinosaur shows up and beats them. A lot of them are like that.

Not it fucking isn't, there isn't even the slightest resemblance in any way. Based on Edward's and the rest of the production team's incoherent ramblings there was supposed to be some statement about nature and how the MUTO were the malevolent form of nature and Godzilla had to 'bring balance', like what the fuck that even means.

I really enjoyed it first time round but I get the feeling I'd drop my opinion significantly on rewatching

The problem with 2014 is that it marks every hollywood cliche: Caring parents in distress, son being sorry for ignoring his old man rants, Marines HORAAH, and brasses whose only sin is being a little too proactive and close minded but then they learn to love the "threat"

Shin Godzilla was politikino, even if not subtle

>Also Godzilla didn't show up until towards the end of the first one until the end either.

I love how 2014 plebs say this shit.
Godzilla appears intermittently throughout the original, including within the first 23 minutes. When he's not around his presence looms over everything. In 2014 he's sidelined in favor of those other two fucks.
Truth be told this has been done before, in Terror of Mechagodzilla, which I've recently been made aware 2014 rips off almost entirely in many ways, and still ends up not being nearly as entertaining.

Shin was so much fucking fun, I'd encourage everyone to rewatch it, the themes of stifling bureaucracy really come through

Godzilla = Gaya

No, the point of the movie was that using nuclear weapons is bad because it awakens ancient things, just like the first Godzilla movie in 54.

There is also the theme of the natural cycle of animals and the food chain. As in Godzilla was the rare balance among his species against the MUTO, considering the MUTO were higher on the food chain, and Godzilla had evolved to specifically counter them, likely being aided by the nuclear testing, due to the Atomic Breath, just making a more dangerous threat to people.

Same fucking shit but with another giant monster thrown in.

Fuck, Godzilla has even less screentime in the 54 movie than he does in 14. 8 min and 45 seconds out of 96 minutes. Don't give me that shit if you haven't seen the original Godzillas, because it does a damn good job of actually fitting in with them.

>Japan still tries to be cheap with Godzilla after 2014 is just sad

yeah let's just throw trillions of dollars into the marketing and CGI like the jews did instead of just making the fucking movie

That's sort of my problem with 2014.

It plays out like a cover version of the original, but without all of the substance or anything to say. Gojira was very much a product of it's time, a parable about the horrors of nuclear war made only a few years after the American occupation of Japan ended, and remaking it outside of the context of a post-war Japan just kind of cheapens it.

It just becomes a movie about a monster stomping on buildings.

Shin Godzilla took many of the themes and the general tone of the original, and updated them to resonate more with more modern issues that Japanese people are dealing with to this day while also adding in it's own political commentary.

> 14. 8 min and 45 seconds out of 96 minutes.

That was a more shorter movie, and the time he spends onscreen in that one is far more effective than in 2014 which is most of the time a black screen.

Godzilla Screen Time

Godzilla '54 (8:45 out of 96 minutes) 9.1%
Godzilla Raids Again (9:30 out of 92 minutes)10.0%
King Kong vs. Godzilla (9:15 out of 97 minutes) 9.5%
Mothra vs. Godzilla (10:30 out of 88 minutes) 11.9%
Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (8:00 out of 93 minutes) 8.6%
Monster Zero (5:45 out of 94 minutes) 6.1%
Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (13:00 out of 87 minutes) 14.9%
Son of Godzilla (12:00 out of 86 minutes) 13.9%
Destroy All Monsters (8:30 out of 89 minutes) 9.5%
Godzilla's Revenge (8:15 out of 70 minutes) 11.8%
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (20:30 out of 85 minutes) 24.1%
Godzilla vs. Gigan (16:15 out of 89 minutes) 18.6%
Godzilla vs. Megalon (10:30 out of 81 minutes) 12.9%
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (7:55 out of 84 minutes) 9%
Terror of MechaGodzilla (9:30 out of 83 minutes) 11.5%
The Return of Godzilla (19:00 out of 103 minutes) 18.4%
Godzilla vs. Biollante (16:45 out of 104 minutes) 16.1%
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (14:45 out of 103 minutes) 14.3%
Godzilla vs. Mothra (15:15 out of 102) 15%
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla '93 (27:00 out of 102) 26.5%
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (19:45 out 108) 18.2%
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (20:15 out of 103) 19.6%
Godzilla 2000 (22:45 out of 107) 21.1%
Godzilla x Megaguirus (20:15 out of 105) 19.2%
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (16:45 out of 105) 15.9%
Godzilla x MechaGodzilla (11:45 out of 88) 13.4%
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (12:45 out of 91) 14.6%
Godzilla: Final Wars (15:00 out of 125) 12%
Godzilla '14 - (10:00 out of 123) 8.1%

Rounded to the closest 15 seconds.
Sounds like the first movie to me minus the Marines and learning to "love" Godzilla.

To add a bit to this, the scene where the Japanese officials are talking about the possibility of letting America drop another nuclear bomb on Japanese soil just to stop Godzilla and the effect that it might have on the people of Japan alone is far more poignant than anything in Godzilla 2014.

Anno is a fucking joke and anyone who unironically likes his works should be lined up and shot.

The American Godzilla isn't even created by nukes, he's just a big ole happy dinosaur Captain Planet who sleeps a lot and beats up bad monsters. The serious Godzilla movies almost always put the blame on mankind for his existence but 2014 turns him into Gamera.

>Don't give me that shit if you haven't seen the original Godzillas

But it's obvious you haven't seen the original. 2014 is nothing like 54. 54 wasn't about "nuclear weapons is bad because it awakens ancient things." Godzilla was a physical representation of the effects of nukes, war, and destruction on a nation. 2014 was just a big monster grrr nature strikes back type thing

IF I DIE

Yes and here is the difference between Japan and America when it comes to Godzilla.

>Japan
Themes, they love their themes, especially Hideki Anno and trying to have a message in there.

That's good.
>America
Kaiju battles and modern remakes (even if they don't fit with the times).

That's good.

Both movies are good, deal with it.

This week is my last chance to see it again but it's only available dubbed, bummer.

He was a big evolved dinosaur in Godzilla 54, the nuclear testing just woke him up. They even say that in the movie. Also he doesn't beat up bad monsters, Mutos are his species natural predators.
And 2014 was about how these creatures would have naturally stayed dormant but humans have been expanding radiation and nuclear energy and awakened them, threatening their own lives, its a parallel for nuclear weapons as well.

Just because you're too retarded to see that its there doesn't mean its not. The whole point of both films is that nuclear weapons have caused cities to be destroyed.

>Gojira was very much a product of it's time, a parable about the horrors of nuclear war made only a few years after the American occupation of Japan ended, and remaking it outside of the context of a post-war Japan just kind of cheapens it.
>It just becomes a movie about a monster stomping on buildings.
>Shin Godzilla took many of the themes and the general tone of the original, and updated them to resonate more with more modern issues that Japanese people are dealing with to this day while also adding in it's own political commentary.
Yasssss

Slaaaaaayyyyy

>Fantastically edited
I loved shin gojira but that's the one thing it's not

The original Gojira is the best film in the franchise, and it didn't need a big monster fight to achieve this.

Hell, Godzilla isn't on screen for the best moment in the film.

The one where the Japanese woman is sitting there, crying and trying to comfort her child as the city burns all around her.

Powerful stuff.

But many plebs call it boring.

Monster fights are superficial. Fun, but nothing to write home about. Especially in today's day and age where everything is computer generated.

What sets the new American Godzilla apart from every other mediocre summer blockbuster action movie if it's missing that key element that made the movie it's copying so great?

Shin Godzilla isn't perfect, but could have been if they shaved a little bit off of it's bloated runtime, but it's the closest even the Japanese have gotten to recapturing that magic since 1954.

>the nuclear testing just woke him up.

Surviving Godzillas were living peacefully around Odo island since prehistoric times, the bomb wiped most of them out and the massive absorption of radiation left Godzilla both radioactive and severely burned. The whole reason the damn movie happens is because he's lashing out in anger and agony from his condition. For fuck sake his skin was meant to resemble the keloid scarring of Hiroshima and Nagasaki victims.
In 2014 though Godzilla is a 'natural' dinosaur who simply eats radiation and shoots atomic fire out of his fucking mouth.

At least you're not a Reifag

>tfw you like all Godzillas even the shitty 2000 one because its dumb and silly

I'll sit over here being superior to all of you.

Remember, editing =/= removing scenes

>Movie | tumblr

WHAT THE FUCK WERE THOSE skeletons in godzilla's tail AT THE END, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

A movie can be long and well-edited

Fukushima victims. No joke

I just can't understand how my brother doesn't like shin gojira. He has been a huge godzilla fan for close to 30 years and loves every single movie (except those shitty ones with that baby). He even loves evangelion.

But he disliked this movie.

So the people saying that Godzilla 2014 is similar to Godzilla 1954 have only ever seen the butchered Raymond Burr American version, right?

Because they don't have very much in common at all.

Shit, that's edgy.

>'merican version is censored to not piss their pride
LAND OF THE FREE
AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE

That's fucking stupid, even by Godzilla standards.

iirc in the original script it was to be revealed that Godzilla contained the souls of all who died in the atom bombs

He needs to become a human to evolve and survive. It's the anti-evangelion. Instead of mankind ascending to godhood, god needs to make himself human.

praise Allah this wicked beast heard the truth!

Checked. Yeah, that's the theory I subscribe to as well. He needs to emulate humanity in order to beat it.

Gee, a film where he constantly evolves, and then at the end is in the process of splitting into humanoids, I wonder what could be happening there?

my honest opinion? It's cgi fake

I have seen Shin Gojira, when will the Blu-Ray come out?

I figured those were Godzilla's babies that didn't manage to crawl out of the conveniently opened in some previous scene tail or maybe not all of them

>man

>fish godzilla shows up and walks on things then leaves
>godzilla shows up and walks on things for a while until they bomb him
>godzilla gets mad and shoots laser beams everywhere
>godzilla takes a nap
>they get godzilla wasted and he becomes a national land mark

this movie... sucked. it wasnt memorable at all and i saw it two days ago.

yeah i guess the commentary on beaurocracy was interesting i guess... like the same way trade deals are interesting in star wars

>t.Brainlet who needs flashy explosions not to throw a tantrum and demand chicken tenders

because this movies godzilla strayed too far from the original design and feel of the character

>all these plebs saying 2014 is decent, let alone better than Shin
>all these plebs thinking Shin was "boring" or "poorly paced" (literally the most pleb criticism next to "pretentious")
>all these plebs not understanding Shin's thesis
Wow, Sup Forums truly has shit taste.

She's a big girl.