To Canadians, British, Irish, Australians, New Zealanders, Jamaicans...

To Canadians, British, Irish, Australians, New Zealanders, Jamaicans, anyone else from an english-speaking country with ties to the crown: What units do you THINK in, imperial or metric? What about older people that you know? Even if you have an intuitive sense for both units, you must be more comfortable with one or the other.

I was under the impression that none of these groups used imperial at all anymore (except colloquially/informally), but my brother (we're US native) recently visited a far-off relation in rural England and told me he was surprised to see some road signs in miles. Our relative told us that many people still consider imperial units to be their first nature, although young people in urban areas don't. I'm wondering what others think. Is it similar in commonwealth/other english speaking nations?

England is metric in name only and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

I still have problems consuming American media even though I sort of know how much each unit is. I think it's because when you're young, you build up a mental catalog of the sizes of various things in one unit system, so that when you're exposed to a new unit system, there is nothing in your catalog to compare to relatively.

Colloquially people still use inches for human height, and sometimes stone for human weight even though kg are superior. All the signs are in km but some old people might mentally deal in miles because they're useless cunts.

for me, people weigh pounds and height is feet and inches because of sports, everything else is metric
heavy weight like tonnes are confusing

just took a air canada flight that measured distance in miles though

As much as people (justifiably) mock Americans for being so behind on adopting the metric system, I've never heard people use stone here.

>and sometimes stone for human weight

I'm a scientist, so I 'think' in metric.

Except road speeds, a person's weight, and, technically, temperatures (as K is the official SI unit).

We use subhuman units colloquially and idiomatically, at times, but they aren't in use in any official government capacity.

Kelvin is fucking retarded

>Hey it's 200 degrees outside
>Wow, i bet you'd melt if you stepped outside.
>Nope you'd turn into a human Popsicle

>Kelvin is fucking retarded
Technically, in this instance, you are retarded.

but I thought all the well educated young people used metric while only old dumb boomers who ruin the country by voting for brexit still use imp*rial

I don't get it?

It's rather simple: anyone who claims that Kelvin is "fucking retarded" is projecting their own sheer stupidity and ignorance.

Oh, they'll foreigners that because they think it's what's expected of them but there's no truth in it. The only time anyone'll actually use metric is in science.

they'll tell*

Kelvin is essential, you're retarded.

But nobody uses it for every day use, of course.

I used to work in a chemistry research lab, so I tried to train myself to intuitively think in kg and meters, but I just couldn't manage. Turns out it doesn't matter anyway, as now I work in a theoretical computational lab and only work in bohrs and hartrees. Well, whatever is convenient.

It's just an equivalent system to lbs, dealing in units of 14 lbs because lbs are too small an order of unit to approximate with.

Miles, foot (when talking about height), inch (benis)

that's it really

True but we do use a mix of both, as far as I've seen anyway. Miles still reign supreme mostly.

Exactly this. For everything else I think in metric. I will say that most other people would think in stones for people's body weight though

We use metric but in some case like pipe dimension and sometimes house . They still use imperial