Why isn't the USA eating insects?

We're supposed to be a free market, right? Why are we ignoring one of the cheapest sources of complete protein? How are advertisements convincing us that pink-slime chicken nuggets are any better than a cricket burger when we're paying bottom-dollar anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

marinebio.net/marinescience/06future/lobsterfarm.htm
time.com/3825158/farming-flies-south-africa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

realised it was a cricket too late, thought this was another thread about the turkish attack

Because our society doesn't recognize insects as food, its the same reason we don't eat cats and dogs.

You already eat kebab m8.

Severally lacking in rating

How could you disguise crushed up crickets as a burger? They're crunchy aren't they?

But *why* don't we recognize insects as food? Are the big businesses really unable to convince us to eat insects even though it would cut production costs several times over? If so, that's a blatant failure of the free market.

Can't really be compared to cats and dogs, which are less efficient to raise and look more like human babies than an ant ever would.

Eating crabmeat/lobster is basically the same as eating insects.

You're free to breed insects if you want, man. The freshly molted ones are the best. Crickets are pretty smelly though so I'd advise against them

Chips then. They managed to disguise pink slime as chicken nuggets though.

marinebio.net/marinescience/06future/lobsterfarm.htm
They're not cheaper to produce, though. Which makes it even more questionable why we would eat sea bugs but not land bugs.

Definitely thinking about it. But the fact there is no national fast-food joint selling insects for consumption is a sign the free market isn't completely working. There is no reason why insects wouldn't be profitable other than misguided public perception.

We do eat anthropods like crawdads and lobster. Crickets and roaches eill catch on eventually. What you should actually be advocating for is rabbit: 4 times more efficient to produce than cow, easy to kill and maintain, very docile creatures.

lel me too

I've bred grasshoppers, but just to release them into my yard.

I hate "dead lawns" with nothing living in them but roaches, mosquitoes, wasps, fire ants and flies. It creeps me out.

>Globalism takes over
>Wealth goes to the top and stays there
>The peasants get served crickets and bugs while the rich stuff themselves with lobster and filet mignon.
Nope. Go fuck yourself, Op.

There's no demand for crickets. If no one wants to eat them, companies aren't going to waste time trying to force them on the public. This isn't a sign that the free market if failing, but rather that it's working; people are getting what they want and resources aren't being wasted in what they don't.
Capitalism would be broken if thousands of crickets are being produced and no one eats them.

>If so, that's a blatant failure of the free market.
>shilling feeding fucking bugs to people
I could feed you my shit for free. Open up, it's the free market.

>blatant failure free market
le rational man meme is still alive I guess

Why would I ever want to destroy best bug?

Behold the ultimate grasshopper. This guy can glide across an entire field in a single leap, I kid you not.

>Best bug
>Not kawaii ass Leaf Cutter Bea

Pick one, peasent.

Well I doubt anyone would stop you.
Myself, I'll wait till we run out of cows, thanks.

I would try raising and eating rabbit personally, but the cost to raise them compared to insects and how they're usually seen as 'cute' makes me think insects would catch on first.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Don't the rich already stuff themselves with lobster? Isn't there an obesity epidemic among the poor?

Why does no one want to eat them? Pink slime is profitable enough that businesses thought they could get away with sneaking it in chicken nuggets. I guarantee you no one wants to eat pink slime, but chicken nuggets sell. Insects are so much cheaper to produce than beef; companies have a clear incentive to 'waste time' forcing them on the public.

No nutritional value, just like your post.

>I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Don't the rich already stuff themselves with lobster? Isn't there an obesity epidemic among the poor?
You're like a Charles Dickens villain.

You do realize that pink slime video that was passed around was fake right? It wasn't a real video on how chicken nuggets are made and the more you use it as an example, the more it seems like you don't know what you're talking about.

People do not want to eat bugs. It's a part of American culture. Most Americans just don't see bugs as food. Consequently, no one tries to sell them on a large scale becaus they would just hemorrage cash because no one would buy them and a massive years long advertisement campaign would take decades to pay off.

I admit I am not an expert in food processing, and that I am not always up-to-date in every area of news. Googling pink slime shows there is still a negative public opinion on pink slime. And I'm not certain that everyone that eats chicken nuggets knows the pink slime video was debunked.

Nevertheless, I can use gelatin as a similar concept to what I was talking about. Also, saying that X product won't sell because of a lack of demand is begging the question. If the free market cannot change popular culture even when selling a product offering such a large decrease in production costs, then how efficient can the free market really be?

>If the free market can't force people to like something does it really work?
Yes. The job of the free market isnt to pilot the demands of the people, it's to make a profit and do it in the most efficient eat possible. Engineering a campaign to get people to eat something they don't even consider food is a massive waste of time and resources. When companies release a product that it's audience doesn't like, they either ramp up advertising or stop making it.
And company attempting to revolutionize American food culture by offering insects would go bankrupt long before it accomplished its goal.

If people in the US do start eating insects ( I know for a fact that some small communities on the east coast do) it's going to be over a long period of time and it's going to be small scale and grass routes.

and I thought you were turkey

Disgusting

I mean..you can always try opening an insect shop. Though I think there are already some.
>We're supposed to be a free market, right?
I don't think you know what a free market is...

When SHTF, you won't even have mercy on your fingers.

>If so, that's a blatant failure of the free market.
Or maybe, you know, nobody wants to be a disgusting degenerate that eats bugs and the free market reflects that.

I think the hippie portion of your population is eating crickets. pic related

Turk legs... yum

and the fuckers are cannibals too, they keep murdering each other

t. used to breed crickets

>pink slime as chicken nuggets though.
thats a myth, you faggot

Ew, no

Normies get grossed out by the fact they're eating bugs even though most factory farm meat is 10x more disgusting. Bugs if prepared and farmed properly are no more grosser than shrimp lobster.

Insects aren't kosher.

Your fuckd in the head m8

>people dont eat insects
>therefore freemarket is not working

Wut?

Because they're destructive to agriculture.

>Or maybe, you know, nobody wants to be a disgusting degenerate that eats bugs.

People already do.

The demand is going to go up when we're going to get to a point in our history where beef and chicken are too expensive to raise.

>Shellfish
>Insects
Couple Million years of evolutionary differences mate.

"It's cheap, healthy, tasty, and is the safest thing in the market for you to eat." Don't ask what it is, and call us for a complete weeks worth of nutrition. Or else you're a simple bitch, who probably couldn't even butcher a cow you little faggot. You're ancestors look at you with disgrace, fucking kill yourself for letting society dictate what you eat when science tells you that you should. Bitch.

Commercially produced crickets on a scale to feed the population would be just as disgusting as current livestock

time.com/3825158/farming-flies-south-africa/

I once ate Maikäfersuppe (doodlebug soup), so it's not something new in Europe. But people are generally disgusted by insects, it's associated with bad hygiene. Many wouldn't visit restaurants and supermarkets where this shit is sold, so it would drive more people away than pull new people in.

Fuck off with the insects!

Just eat seafood, it taste way better and it doesn't end like that greasy nasty shit you complete monkeys eat.

There's no incentive to advertise insects as food. No producers currently have a vested interest, noone has any type of competitive advantage, and noone has any type of natural monopoly. Also, and most importantly, given we can afford to choose, people eat the foods they like and grew up with, not the foods that are recommended, not the healthy doctor's choice.

Seriously, fuck, OP is a faggot yet again, this shit is obvious.

Both are of the same phylum, arthropoda. And even then, the two are nearly the same, only that crustaceans evolved to remain in the water and become much more muscular, rather than trying to remain light.

Have you ever eaten a live grasshopper? I picked a big one off my cherry tree, and bit it in half. Tasted like shit. Not even my chickens eat them, so I usually end up slaughtering them with my bb gun.

because pic related