ITT: popular things in America that we don't get the appeal of

ITT: popular things in America that we don't get the appeal of

>baseball
>red cups
>"lite" beer

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer
youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2L_VEDWTg
forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/#23d080164050
usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did
mentalfloss.com/article/49566/5-theories-about-why-we-dye-eggs-easter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#History
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>baseball
Fun to play(funner then it looks)but you grow out of watching it or at least I did
>red cups
Disposable cups, drink out of it then trash it(is there something similar in Germany?
>"lite" beer
Usually an initiate type of beer, or just easier to consume LOTS of it(is ther a German "lite" beer?) beer drinkers usually grow out of this and its not as popular as it once was. Microbeers and IPA's have become very popular

>"lite" beer

This really goes past my understanding. It's just watered down water. If i wan't water i get it from the tap.

>(is there something similar in Germany?
Yes, but they aren't red (see picture).
>is ther a German "lite" beer?
No. We just have actual beer.

>bleaching chicken eggs so they're really white

Bizarre.

I thought that was just a meme?

apparently burgers irrationaly fear conventional eggs, they think they get salmonella simply by being in their range

white eggs are a mutation

stamping the flag on to everything. it's like the flag has no dignity at all

>insanely large trucks
>baseball
>laugh tracks

your fault for inventing it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

Peanut butter
Root beer
Celebrity worshiping
College football
Spelling bees

Genuinely not. Was some scare stories a while ago about Brexit and how we might start importing American eggs which are chlorine'd (or whatever)

>root beer
It's good fuck off

Not our fault they only sell the shit brands to foreigners

>>laugh tracks
Apparently they are used to make the audience feel like they are watching the show live in a theater.
Relevant video: youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2L_VEDWTg
>Peanut butter
We have that too. But personally I don't like it either.

Japanese get the appeal of baseball. That is proof baseball has an appeal beyond the USA. Red cups are like paper plates or plastic utensils. Something to make life easier. lite beer is an acquired taste.

You know this is a google click away right?

forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/#23d080164050

tl;dr: Europe puts the burden of sanitization on the farming practice (keeping chicken cages clean and so forth), the USA puts the burden of sanitization after the egg has been produced. The latter results in chlorine spray.

Only peanut butter is good out of this list. Crunchy style over creamy.

>Peanut butter
I like it.

Its dirt cheap, college kids like it because it's good for parties that involve drinking games and stupid shit where you basically want to drink for hours and get fucked up but not be unconscious too early in the night, I drink it cause I like being able to sit around drinking beer for like 12 straight hours on my way off while I fuck around the house and not be really hammered for most of it

disgusting
respect your chickens, let them chicken around on free ground

All of those things suck except college football. It's just a lower league with a fuck load of teams which means there are more games to watch, and on a different day than the NFL games. Pretty much the same as how Europe had dozens of different leagues, except it isn't gay

>Spelling bees
If your language was cucked by Latin, Norse, and French in that order, despite being a Germanic language, you'd need spelling bees too.

All major English speaking countries have spelling bees, not just the USA. We might do it with more frequency since we have a lot more immigrants to churn, but the UK has been doing it since the 1860s.

welcome to factory farming
pic related, a Dutch dairy farm

>Its dirt cheap
Cheap beer doesn't need to be watered down.
>Pretty much the same as how Europe had dozens of different leagues, except it isn't gay
>implying your pop culture doesn't glorify gay people.
Also, handegg looks pretty gay imo.

dutch are subhumans and that doesnt make you any better anyway

>Fat chicks
>Clapping (for anything)
>Considering politicians to be anything but bottom feeding garbage

usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

imagine being an indian and seeing this

>Fat chicks
Reviled although admittedly getting more common and don't forget the millions upon millions of Euro Mutt 8/10-10/10 grills over , it is something to behold.
>Clapping
Really is a meme, I only experience it occasionally at the end of movie
>>Considering politicians to be anything but bottom feeding garbage
Most burgers despise and distrust our politicians just like you or most nations do in general

>1 pint = 0.29 euro = 0.35 USD$
>12x12oz Old Style (about 4 pints) 4.6% ABV, comparable to Turmbrau's 4.9%) is $8.00
>1 pint is $2

Not bad, but I'm curious if VAT or taxes are a big deal. Then again these are glass bottles so that's probably another factor since shipping them is a bag of dicks

VAT is always included in the prices you see in stores.
By the way, that's another thing for the thread:
>store prices without VAT resulting in numbers like $2.83 or $17.02
It just looks stupid.

>but I'm curious if VAT or taxes are a big deal.
taxes are included in the price that's one thing about america i don't understand. why can't understand why do they add taxes at the checkout

>Hats indoors

There are 50 states in the US. Each state is divided into counties. There are 3,143 counties in total. Each county is made up of dozens of municipalities. Altogether, there are an estimated 85,000 administrative divisions in the United States.
Each one of these administrative divisions can (and often does) levy a sales tax. Given the fact that sales tax can range from 0% to 10-12% across the country, it just doesn't make sense to try to put the tax in the display price, especially when you consider the fact that sales tax can be very different in two cities or states that border one another.

>store prices without VAT resulting in numbers like $2.83 or $17.02

99% of the time prices are set at $x.99 for psychological reasons. I can't remember the last time I saw a price like $2.83 unless it was gasoline. Hell, gasoline prices here do even worse shit, pic related. You're not seeing wrong, that top one is really 2 dollars, 58 cents, and 0.90 of one cent.

>why can't understand why do they add taxes at the checkout
probably to make the customer feel better while they're shopping, then angry at the checkout (when they can't be bothered)

on the bright side keeping a mental model of tax in your head when you're shopping, or tipping a restaurant for food, is decent enough practice for mental math with percentages. with VAT you can probably get pretty lazy

That's a baldlet thing(at least for me)
Boomers and old folk turn their nose up at it

>credit cards
can a yank tell me how much money you really get from that?

>Altogether, there are an estimated 85,000 administrative divisions in the United States.
>mfw my state of Illinois is responsible for 8,000 of those
>~10% of the total despite being 1/50th of all states and ~4% of the population
absolutely ordnung

I see it a lot with internet personalities and most of them are too young to be bald.

Fair enough, most of the prices seem to end in .96, .97 and .98
But still, why don't just stick to .99?

I have around 50k in available credit. The key is to use it sparingly and always pay off the balance avoiding interest. Also using them for purchases and paying off the balances increases your "credit" rating which makes it easier to buy House's and Cars, big ticket items...etc

By the way, why do Americans hate paying with cash? Enabling stores to track all your transactions leads to shit like this:
forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did

Yeah, maybe it is far more commonplace/acceptable with the youth. My son never wears them, but a lot of his friends do. Is it taboo to do it in Bulgaria/Europe in general? Will you be ostracized?

>By the way, why do Americans hate paying with cash?
we do, but it goes to the 12 million illegal immigrants in our country.

>illinois
Me too ;)
where from?

DuPage county

swipe debit/credit cards
celebrating Easter with some painted eggs
college dorms
ballroom dances, theater club and music band, you know all that american HS bs
having to drive two hours to go to work
History channel, basically anything in it makes me confused as shit

Close im In Will, but work in Dupage

>swipe debit/credit cards
How are they "used" in Mexico?

what the fuck is easter?

haven't had to swipe for like 10 years

chip and pin or chip and sign, swipe in is only for those coupon cards they give you when you buy one too many cinema tickets.

>celebrating Easter with some painted eggs
I really souldn't find a definitive answer to this, perhaps the practice has changed over the years as it surprisingly has been around for a very long time.

mentalfloss.com/article/49566/5-theories-about-why-we-dye-eggs-easter

>you don't need to type in a PIN
that's stupid

Most of ours are chipped and "inserted" these days

i remember somewhere i read that americans were the ones who invented the swipe thing with the cards but i forgot the reason, you know why?

I guess it was IBM?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe_card#History

>In 1969 Forrest Parry, an IBM engineer, had the idea of securing a piece of magnetic tape, the predominant storage medium at the time, to a plastic card base. He became frustrated because every adhesive he tried produced unacceptable results. The tape strip either warped or its characteristics were affected by the adhesive, rendering the tape strip unusable. After a frustrating day in the laboratory, trying to get the right adhesive, he came home with several pieces of magnetic tape and several plastic cards. As he walked in the door at home, his wife Dorothea was ironing clothing. When he explained the source of his frustration: inability to get the tape to "stick" to the plastic in a way that would work, she suggested that he use the iron to melt the stripe on. He tried it and it worked.[3][4] The heat of the iron was just high enough to bond the tape to the card.

>yfw his wife did his engineering job for him

>Peanut Butter
I thought this was pretty common in the western world. I guess you could call it American since it was invented here.
>Rootbeer
Rootbeer is just a type of soda that uses a brewing process similar to beer using sarsaparilla roots. Hence "root" and "beer". It is actually pretty tastey if you drink it cold.
>Celebrity worship
I don't get it either. It's mostly just gossip rags followed by women aged 18-54.
>College sports
Never got into them myself, but I know some people who do. It can be a pride thing. "The team from my school is beating your school". Plus it is kind of entertaining watching athletes at peak performance in the prime of their lives going head to head.
>Spelling bees
Literally just acedmic circle jerks about who can spell the most obscure words. Competition can help motivate kids to study, so that's why it's popular in elementary schools.

>baseball is probably Canadian

Peanut butter and most of college football are Canadian

One thing I don't understand about American culture is that everyone seems so extreme. It seems like Americans are either hardcore conservatives or liberal faggots with a small minority in between. At least, that's the impression I get from tv and the internet.
Maybe this is caused by Americans having only two parties to choose from for hundreds of years.

Peanut butter or "pindakaas" is quintessentially Dutch.

Not to mention they're overly obsessed about race. Everything turns into racial issue

Peanutbutter was not invented there, it was patented by Canadian Marcellus Gilmore Edson.

Thats actually a big problem over here, over the years the media and collages have created such hostile environments that you can either be hard right or hard left, anyone inbetween is left out. Its not good

Just did a quick google search. You're right.
>George Washington Carver is known for his work with peanuts (though he did not invent peanut butter, as some may believe). However, there's a lot more to this scientist and inventor than simply being "the Peanut Man.""

Don't understand Amerisquares

>>baseball is probably Canadian
The fuck? Baseball was always American, Canada hardly even plays it

Of course I'm right, I'm also right about baseball and college football being mostly Canadian. (As are hockey, some of curling, lacrosse, and basketball)

toilets

>Maybe this is caused by Americans having only two parties to choose from for hundreds of years.
2 party system has been in decline since 2008. Fully 42% of Americans did not identify as Republican or Democrat in 2016.

>lite" beer
It's mostly based on My schedule so I don't know how a Kraut wouldn't get it.

Canada hardly plays basketball either but it was invented by a Canadian.
No one knows where baseball comes from exactly, we do know that it existed long before Abner Doubleday claimed to have invented it at Cooperstown. We do know that the first game, as played on a diamond, and distinct from cricket or rounders, was recorded by a newspaper as having occurred in Ontario near the NY border.

>No. We just have actual beer.
Bullshit you have beers that are lower in calories and alcohol which is all lite is

Baseball is actually pretty good, not because it's exciting but because you can get a ten dollar ticket for a game multiple times a week and just enjoy the stadium atmosphere and some food and drinks for a few hours after work.

Is college footbal a thing there now? We never here about that here, and as you know it's an institution here in the States.

Hardly anyone even votes for them or likes them for that matter but theyre still the only two groups in power, the only thing that's going to stop the demosharts and republicunts at this rate is a military takeover, wich really dosnt sound so bad right now

vomit chocolate
For that matter, Americhocolate in general. I have yet to find a single microchocolatier worth mention.

Ayy fuck you, Hersheys is good

I accepted that I was wrong. Don't be a cunt about it.

Not at all popular here, but the first game of college football occured between Canada's McGill University and Harvard. They made many of the rules up as they played. Canada reccommended the rugby style tackles and a system of downs to track progress across the field. Harvard and McGill never played this game with eachother again but Harvard did take it to Yale and college football was born.
The football helmet was also invented by the same Canadian that invented basketball.

Not really compared to other chocolate. It's just nostalgic for most Americans.

Fat chicks are the low hanging fruit. Banging them occasionally makes sense but wifing them up is beyond retarded

I wouldnt know, all chocolate tastes almost the same to me

>My schedule
How the fuck did autocorrect get that from "Kölsch"

You're right sorry, but imagine that your country has always existed in the shadow of a behemoth and that in the eyes of the world almost every one of your nation's achievements are credited to that neighbor who has never taken the time to research or care about the origins of the things they enjoy and is arrogant to the point that they think everything must naturally be theirs. It's a sensitive issue for Canadian fans of North American history.

is it vomit or is it chocolate
vomit is alright every now and then

Sorry about the misunderstanding

Kölsch is not popular outside of Cologne

>serving drinks out of bowls
Amerislurps will defend this

The fuck? Do you mean soup? Other than that i dont know what the fuck youre talking about

>The fuck? Do you mean soup?
Is soup considered a drink in America?

Stop making shit up please

>semi-auto rifles in schools

SHALL

punch, retards

> naming a popular brand of product instead of actual product
like, saying Nutella while refering to chocolate paste in general or Walmart while refering to a big supermarket, etc

People who are financially or mentally lower class do that here as well, unfortunately.

>automatic transmission
I get the appeal but I'd prefer to control the car myself